• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I don't disagree that people were being hyperbolic with PS5 launch prices. What I disagree with is that they're going to make the PS5 $299 anytime soon (even in 1-2 years). You mention them discounting the PS5, they're discounting the $499 physical one, they're hardly making the $399 digital one because it simply isn't that profitable to do so. Sony also has no reason to be that aggressive in pricing, Xbox sales aren't too hot and PS5s are selling like hotcakes.
Fortunately these decisions are taken years before. The PS5, PS5 pro and the smaller cheaper models have been planned for and in development for years. Lets agree to disagree and come back to this in 2 years. Unfortunately, I havent yet heard back from the people that were saying 1TB SSDs were going to remain expensive as well as those that said the PS5 pro would never be a thing.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
They have a patent for it granted in early 2023

Nice. I actually kind of dreamt of this scenario but didn't think it would come true lol. I also hope that they do something about digital resales. The worst thing about the whole Xbox One debacle was everyone ganged up on the whole premise and when they pulled back from it, they also pulled back from the digital resale piece.

What we have today is pretty horrible. Games bought digitally cannot be resold and the platform holders are making a pretty penny off that fact. Couple that with Sony's lack of third party store support and price competition is non existent for digital titles

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
Is there a rumor for a network attached disc reader? Or are we just speculating? Would be much easier to have a USB C disc reader at 10gb/sec rates
There was a patent. It actually sounds pretty cool because it would allow any Xbox on the same network to play the physical game without having to manually move the physical game around.
Fortunately these decisions are taken years before. The PS5, PS5 pro and the smaller cheaper models have been planned for and in development for years. Lets agree to disagree and come back to this in 2 years. Unfortunately, I havent yet heard back from the people that were saying 1TB SSDs were going to remain expensive as well as those that said the PS5 pro would never be a thing.
Seems like you have a bone to pick! Sure I can agree to disagree for now but just to be sure, you're saying Sony will make the MSRP of the PS5 (Digital) $299 in 1-2 years? Not that it might go on sale for $299, that it'll be the official price.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
On another slide they show an all-black one.
Np4iYVQ.png
I'll take the one which isn't glossy, thanks.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If that premium glassy touch display under the surface premium/elite controller becomes a thing itll be hilarious seeing people post pics of broken controllers when they throw them in frustration

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
There was a patent. It actually sounds pretty cool because it would allow any Xbox on the same network to play the physical game without having to manually move the physical game around.

Seems like you have a bone to pick! Sure I can agree to disagree for now but just to be sure, you're saying Sony will make the MSRP of the PS5 (Digital) $299 in 1-2 years? Not that it might go on sale for $299, that it'll be the official price.
No, no bone to pick, its just debates really. We'll have a $299 PS5 in 2 years from now.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Just seems like a no brainer to me they would have a USB BD drive in the works. Then for that network authentication of a disc thing you could either use an old Xb1 console you have laying around or get the USB drive to play disc games on the digital consoles. Although I kinda doubt they would let it connect to PC unless they're super confident in the hardware security. Letting PC read Xbox discs seems like it would lead to it being cracked at some point.

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
Nah, I'm good.
I honestly can't figure out why glossy of all things is considered "premium".
There was a patent that showed them looking into putting a display on the controller, maybe the glossy is just to hide the display underneath it?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I was there for those threads with rntongo, and people with low balling both systems before launch with a $500 price tag. We are all just making guesses based on info available right? It is more the dismissal that sticking to the price ceiling of the base system while being a DE is impossible that I find misguided.

Last edited:

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
I was there for those threads with rntongo, and people with low balling both systems before launch with a $500 price tag.
I know that people were definitely being hyperbolic with pricing. But considering how Sony makes very little PS5 Digital and I don't think they've confirmed if they're profitable, I think $399 will be the lower end of PS5 prices outside of a sale.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of a network attached disc reader - you could make it like an old jukebox machine. Just load in 200 discs and it will read and catalogue each one, and reload the disc as/when you decide to play the game on a console or PC.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely get a controller once steam offer support for the gyro in it.
I'd expect it to take Valve, like, maybe a week or two from when they're publicly available. Given how it took Xbox ten months just to make the share button on the Series controllers work on Windows, Steam will probably be the only way to use the gyro on PC for years.

Last edited:

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I was there for those threads with rntongo, and people with low balling both systems before launch with a $500 price tag. We are all just making guesses based on info available right? It is more the dismissal that sticking to the price ceiling of the base system while being a DE is impossible that I find misguided.

Yeah people were putting the systems in a $599 ball park before launch.

Sep 23, 2018
I know that people were definitely being hyperbolic with pricing. But considering how Sony makes very little PS5 Digital and I don't think they've confirmed if they're profitable, I think $399 will be the lower end of PS5 prices outside of a sale.

I feel that this idea of the DE console not being profitable to produce / being less profitable doesn't take into account the 100% guarantee that Sony will make more money from that customer through digital purchases.
That lower price is only a temporary subsidy. At least until there is an optional disc drive (for the newer consoles at least).

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I feel that this idea of the DE console not being profitable to produce / being less profitable doesn't take into account the 100% guarantee that Sony will make more money from that customer through digital purchases.
That lower price is only a temporary subsidy. At least until there is an optional disc drive (for the newer consoles at least).

Someone buys God of War Ragnarok and Spider Man 2 and Sony have probably broken even at the very worst I think. That calculation is probably trickier for Xbox with Game Pass.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
When people refer to the profitability of producing a device they aren't considering the long term/LTV of the customer. A DE PS5 is less likely to be profitable for Sony because a Blu-ray drive does not cost $100. It's an additional subsidy to the device, thus making it more of a loss in comparison. Are Series S owners more profitable to MS because it's all digital, or are XSX owners because they are more likely to be dedicated players that spend more money on games?

None of that matters when just talking about the raw costs of manufacturing the device and what it sells for at retail.

And the lower price is a permanent subsidy when looking at the impact of it on the business. Your consumers are not guaranteed to spend money on games. A F2P only player never needs to subscribe to PS+/Core, never needs to buy MTX, could just game-share with someone else, etc. That subsidy is a fixed amount when calculating for the hardware.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Qualcomm is making some impressive strides with their upcoming ARM chips.

www.youtube.com

Snapdragon Summit 2023: Keynote Livestream

Get ready to catch a wave of innovation. Watch the Snapdragon Summit keynote on October 24th, 2023, to see how Qualcomm continues to push the boundaries of w...

They're matching (even exceeding) Apple on ST performance (including the A17 Pro) and intel's i9 mobile CPU (13th gen).

They're speaking on their partnership with Microsoft (Hopefully they'll have a consistent upkeep of GPU drivers). It's meant for Windows PCs and it has DX12 support (Raytracing), the product is meant for laptop's first.

GPU benchmark is of course synthetic (3DMark Wildlife Extreme), there are differences in practice as mobile GPUs are designed for Tile Based Rendering (TBR) archtiecture.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Qualcomm is making some impressive strides with their upcoming ARM chips.

www.youtube.com

Snapdragon Summit 2023: Keynote Livestream

Get ready to catch a wave of innovation. Watch the Snapdragon Summit keynote on October 24th, 2023, to see how Qualcomm continues to push the boundaries of w...

They're matching (even exceeding) Apple on ST performance (including the A17 Pro) and intel's i9 mobile CPU (13th gen).

They're speaking on their partnership with Microsoft (Hopefully they'll have a consistent upkeep of GPU drivers). It's meant for Windows PCs and it has DX12 support (Raytracing), the product is meant for laptop's first.

GPU benchmark is of course synthetic (3DMark Wildlife Extreme), there are differences in practice as mobile GPUs are designed for Tile Based Rendering (TBR) archtiecture.
I'm all for ARM with those gains and Microsoft plans to use more ARM for their products in the future. The synergy can't be ignored, especially if Xbox still believes cloud is the future. I think that could be one difference between the consoles going forward.

The consoles are extremely close in performance and a bit more differences wouldn't be to bad for the industry and gamers imo. It would make for more interesting comparisons and lead to Sony and MS learning from each other more again. I think innovation would also increase. As a owner of all consoles, it would also make the decision for which console to buy a game more interesting.

Obviously backwards compatibility is a challenge, but I believe MS is better equipped to get current gen games running on ARM than PS. They just seem to have more experience with those topics. If they decide for ARM some convenient BC solution has to be part of it. I don't believe any platform holder can get away with "reseting" the digital library so to speak.

Last edited: