ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
Persona spinoffs would be cool if they weren't always the same characters in some non-canon side adventure. but i guess its just easier slapping a Persona 5 skin on a spinoff instead of doing its own thing like Megaten spinoffs tend to do

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
Number one way to ruin franchises its to try to do a yearly entry. You begin to have fatigue and they cut corners in quality to shit them out fast enough. I think 2 years is a good balance, you need to build up a bit of nostalgia and desire. Shit like this is executive boardroom greed, maximize ROI. What could go wrong.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
At least they're not releasing a new game every 4/6 months (including spin-offs) like Level 5 did with Yokai Watch.
Then they went, woops why did the IP die.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Number one way to ruin franchises its to try to do a yearly entry. You begin to have fatigue and they cut corners in quality to shit them out fast enough. I think 2 years is a good balance, you need to build up a bit of nostalgia and desire. Shit like this is executive boardroom greed, maximize ROI. What could go wrong.
The Yakuza series had literally been doing this since it's first game. The Persona games and Sonic games have also used this strategy pretty much for the last decade (with some content from each franchise being released each year). How are we on page 6 of this thread and we still have these doomposts about how this "new" direction is going to ruin these series. Do people not read the thread?

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
LaD's release pace is fine as is (which is annually or more), I think my ideal pace for the new numbered games is one every three years with others in between.

I'd love more frequent mainline Persona games. Crazy that it's been 8 years since 5.. I hope they can start getting them out every 4 years or so. I loved strikers but the other spinoffs haven't hit me as well.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
The responses in this thread are maddening. When she says annual, she means anything from new mainline entries, to spinoffs, remakes, remasters, collections, dlc, expansions, anything really. Which, in this case, these three series are already annual franchises! RGG studio is particular is the most consistent developer in the entire industry, so I don't really understand why so many are trying to be doomers about them doing something they've been doing since their inception.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I love the Atlier Iris trilogy and Mana Khemia but the Atelier series has games every year and I don't care anymore. Most of them feel unfinished or have some underdeveloped/pointless game mechanic or bad game balance.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I like the thread title OP. There is no such thing as an insider, only leakers.

"Insider" is term used to make someone look like they know what's going on and to soften the loss of NDA information to the public.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
shorten the time in between main games, that's all i want. 7 years and counting on persona 6, 4 years in between yakuza 7 and 8. too fucking long.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
persona becoming annualized has to probably mean more a persona related release every year and that has been kinda happening with the spin off efforts.
I can't imagine that they're gonna build several more studios to make persona games factory style. I don't even think the fanbase could keep up with that given how long these games are.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I wish there were more sequels like Strikers instead of games that try to force stories into the middle of the game randomly. It was cool to hang with the Phantom Thieves in Strikers again and have fun with that crew again. I also liked Makoto and Haru being in college now. Just the general passage of time was nice

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I wish Soul Hackers 2 was a finished game. It should have used the press turn system, they should have let you use both the human characters and demons in combat. It needed better dungeon design, multiple endings with different final bosses based your choices. Though the story dungeons didn't bother me nearly as much the character specific ones. Also in a cyberpunk setting psychic and nuclear element types should have been used.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't new for any franchises except Persona (kind of). At most this means the output of Persona spinoffs will increase, but by schedule alone you're looking at:

2024: P3 Reload
2025-2026: P6 and the leaked Persona party game
2026-2027: P2 remasters
2027-2028: P4 Remake
2028-2029: the usual definitive version of P6
There will be a tipping point sometime in the future where I will have spent more time in Japanese high school than American high school.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
They have skipped years. There was a 5 year wait in between Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers (the longest gap between Sonic games ever). Obviously we did get Sonic Superstars last year and Sonic X Shadow Generations this year. But there was a 5 year gap before that. And before that, there was a 4 year gap between Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces.

There was no Like A Dragon in 2022. No Persona game in 2017, 2021 or 2022.

This is more so just confirmation that we can expect that SEGA is going to launch some kind of game or DLC expansion for these franchises every year going forward.
With Like a Dragon they just need to move some things around. No title in 2022, but 2023 had both Ishin and Gaiden.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
like a virgin annual will lead to franchise burnout

especially when the area is only kamurocho
They have been putting out games incessantly since at least 2012 and the series is getting more popular. They've also added more areas in most recent games.

That said, yes, I'm also worried this means Sega wants to squeeze even more out of them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic and Persona are fine. They cover enough genre with the spin offs and have plenty of remakes/remasters to come. But I can see Yakuza getting stale unless they do something different.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With Like a Dragon they just need to move some things around. No title in 2022, but 2023 had both Ishin and Gaiden.
Moving stuff around would have been a smarter move for Ishin. But honestly I can think of several other smart moves that'd fix that turkey of a remake...
Id also half argue that Kaito Files barely counts as a release. I mean, its Lost Judgment still... but it was a pricier piece of DLC, and it was arguably better than both Gaiden and Ishin (and had a better paced story than pretty much any RGGS title in the last decade lol)

Im only half serious, because obviously DLC and a full release arent in the same ball park. Id be more than happy with RGGS planning better to get their releases out one a year, rather than some games being several a year, then some basically being nothing in a year (2013 also had the same issue - where 2012 had technically FOUR RGG games - 1&2 HD for PS3, Kurohoyu 2 for PSP, than the gargantuan RGG5 for PS3), while 2013 just had a Wii U port of RGG1&2 which may as well not count (not like it sold ;( )
I actually wonder if Ishin was delayed a year due to Covid. Its one of my baseless theories, much like how Lost Judgment had a bunch of cut long fights to get it to hit that 2021 release date...

Anyway, seeing as Yakuza's already basically an annual series and has been that way since Yakuza 2, I find its inclusion by the "insider" pointless. Its basically telling RGGS to just keep doing what they are doing now. I suppose it bodes well that we'll get more Gaiden games (I sure hope), but maybe also more remakes (please no...)
I do wonder if they'll try to push for numbered games to be more frequent (2028 for 9/next Ichiban game will be a long assed wait) but Im fine with that if they wanna make another gigantic game.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I just hope they wait until after SMT5V to announce Persona 6(or anything new for Persona in general) so they will not steal SMT5V's thunder.

Jul 22, 2022
I wonder if Sega suits think launching games every years means that we buy games every year when they do their forecast.
I think that's not the case. I barely can keep witk LaD games. Still working on my Y7 playthrough
Also this bump possibilities of getting Sonic Unleashed Remake so I'm waiting

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sega suits think launching games every years means that we buy games every year when they do their forecast.
I think that's not the case. I barely can keep witk LaD games. Still working on my Y7 playthrough
Also this bump possibilities of getting Sonic Unleashed Remake so I'm waiting
Technically we've been getting yearly games almost Yakuza's entire 2 decade existence so far, so really its "business as usual" for the studio. Some years less balanced than others (2013 had on Wii U port, but 2012 had 2 remastered games a PSP game and the gigantic RGG5, while 2022 had just the Kaito DLC for LJ, but then the following year both Ishin and Gaiden were released, and 8 wasnt far behind at the beginning of 2024). If they could balance it more to one brand new/remake game per year, rather than a couple that are dry and a couple that are insanely stacked, that would be smart.
Totally get the issue with there being so much to play through in the series though. 8 even took me ages to get through (still not technically done), so it'd be wise they space them out correctly else people wont have finished one before the next launches!

As for Sonic... Id definitely love to see a higher def version of Unleashed. Its BC now at least but I do wish we'd have it in 4K or 1080p at least. And a proper PC port. The Adventure games seem fertile grounds for remakes as well.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I hope they don't sour people to these game series because they release too many low quality games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Too be honest I don't even remember them, what was Ubisoft's franchises?
Its less which franchises, and more the "fact" some people think that suddenly the series will be pushed out once a year like how Ubisoft tend to do similar (but not actually) for stuff like Assassins Creed (back in the day).

The thing is though, Persona has been getting spinoffs, remakes and the like fairly frequently later, as for Sonic and especially Yakuza we get yearly releases from those and have done for decades, so anyone really making this sound like doom and gloom, and not business as usual are being fairly disingenuous...

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
Personally I think game studios should focus on "AA" games and few "A" games. If the games are fun people will play them regardless of how much you paid to make them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that cost point isnt remotely correct. Lots of indie games are much cheaper and get flat out ignored. Heck, back when the Dreamast was around it ran rings round PS2 in its first year gaming wise, yet we all know which one sold more.
And just in general, Yakuza was around for 10 years before anyone in the West basically started playing the game. So again, not true that making a good game is all that's needed to succeed.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
No, that is not all you need, you also need good marketing. But that is not what I was saying. I am saying that if you make something people want then it doesn't matter how much you spent making it(within reason) as long people enjoy the game. Sure there will be snobs who care mostly about graphics or something else that has nothing or little to do with good game play. To be honest I can't think of single AAA game that I even care about.

Last edited: