Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I'm perfectly fine with Elma!

Rex fans are sure to get pissy. But hey, at least now we can listen to WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET erery time we have a match!

I want both actually. Rex would be an interesting moveset as he would have partners that boost his atks/stats/etc but has to protect them as a gimmick (in my head at least) but Elma being a dual blade gun fighter would be action pack fast imo

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

Rex fans are sure to get pissy. But hey, at least now we can listen to WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET erery time we have a match!

I don't understand how people could be upset with Min Min, especially when it wasn't Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, and the fact that Min Min is the only character in ARMS that could kick.
Give the spot to Elma, Rex can wait.

Aug 12, 2019
I understand people are upset at the notion that we didn't get Twintelle and Smash missed one of its rare chances at including a darker skinned character in the game, but Min Min is still a win for diversity in Smash. Maybe not the win that many people wanted, but this is a game that struggles to include female characters in the first place part of the time, let alone any characters of a more diverse background. Min Min is the first explicitly Chinese character in Smash, and that still has a lot of value as far as representation in Smash is concerned. Did they go as far as they could have with a more diverse pick? No, but they also chose against other conventional picks and even if it was influenced by a producer's request, the end result was a character who was not just another white male protagonist.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I want both actually. Rex would be an interesting moveset as he would have partners that boost his atks/stats/etc but has to protect them as a gimmick (in my head at least) but Elma being a dual blade gun fighter would be action pack fast imo
Sliding Slinger would be a great counter to Bayo.
Give the spot to Elma, Rex can wait.
I mean sure. Just make sure to pack in the Hiroyuki Sawano music along with her.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand how people could be upset with Min Min, especially when it wasn't Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, and the fact that Min Min is the only character in ARMS that could kick.
As a Xenoblade fan, I'd be honestly be happy with a number of picks, but Elma would be hype. (And she'd come with a collection of XCX music sadly missing from the base game.)

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's really tough as a person of Chinese background to step into these forums when many posters' idea of diversity and racism issues are so... black and white.

Really appreciate the staff post and Min Min is a Win Win, but the comments really soured what should be a celebration specifically for Chinese representation.

Twintelle is a great character though - in fact most of the ARMS cast would've been great, such was the strength of their designs!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Elma comes with the baggage of
her "true form" being... well...

latest

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
again I have to agree.

There is a whole lot that can be talked about with this topic (Like how Sakurai looked at the whole cast and zeroed in on ... the 2 Asian characters and likely would have picked the Japanese Ninja dude that again, is almost only popular in Japan. The fuck? Team willing to accept praise for Twin and openly worked with NoA and NoE to make Twin and yet no one brang her up as an option? Seems almost certain that if Sakurai is allowed to just pick another ARMs character in the future it's gonna be the Ninja cause he seems to clearly not care about rep) but... I don't think it's a convo anyone is encouraged to have.

Maybe i'm reading something different but that's absolutely not what the mod post is saying. The lack of black representation in smash and generally across nintendo games is incredibly poor (the gaming industry as a whole as well). That absolutely should be discussed. There is a way to do that without talking down the fact that min min represents another minority group who clearly feel represented by her.

I agree that twintelle was a HUGE missed opportunity for nintendo and i'm kinda shocked they didn't even consider her as an option.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
As a Xenoblade fan, I'd be honestly be happy with a number of picks, but Elma would be hype. (And she'd come with a collection of XCX music sadly missing from the base game.)
I'm pretty sure these forums will find some way to piss all over the music.
I agree that twintelle was a HUGE missed opportunity for nintendo and i'm kinda shocked they didn't even consider her as an option.
As somebody who's played ARMS, Twintelle's gimmick is she uses her hair to attack instead of her...arms, but doesn't use her free limbs to perform any additional manuvers like Min Min.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
my take on min min as some sort of race representative is that, as a chinese person myself, i don't really see identify myself as a minority. i mean there are way more chinese people in the world than most other ethnicities so... if someone else feels under-represented that feeling is probably stronger than mine.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
As an Arms fan I couldn't be more happier, Min min is easily my favorite character in that game and it's great that she made it.

As a black man I was really holding out hope for twintelle to make it just because it would be a great message to send with a black women kickstarting off the fighter pass after the majority white/male pass we got last pass. Min min is still huge win though for Chinese representation and finally getting our first women DLC fighter in damn near 4 years

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sharla and everyone from Colony 6 are at minimum tan skinned, or at least, they are compared to the Colony 9 people. They're not as dark skinned as Vandham, but they're also noticably darker than the well, very white, characters from colony 9.

Unless I'm just completely wrong and she's not supposed to be.
Yeah, I always saw them with Latino complexions (like me), or maybe from India. Probably why I have such a crush on Sharla ,she looks a bit like my girlfriend if my girlfriend was far taller..

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Damn, black people stay losing.

Only hope now is Elma.

IDK the story of X but Elma just isn't gonna happen unless there's some sequel she's going to star in that will be out by next year.
XC2 is too successful and beloved and new to be skipped over to go back and pick up an older character.

It would be like going back to make Midna a character ... she lost her chance and I'm 100% sure not Sakurai nor anyone else involved cares enough.
Maybe, just maybe ... if the person behind the Xenoblade games ask for it after Nintendo sends Sakurai to em to talk then yeah.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai, please (in no particular order):
1) Add Urbosa to the game already. She's super popular, a black woman, a muscular woman, and a new Zelda character, all at the same time. She's also a curved sword user, which are rare in Smash. It just makes so much sense for so many reasons.
2) Add Impa. Same reasons as above (except perhaps popularity). She uses a spear which again is rare in Smash.
3) Add Twintelle as an Echo of Min Min, with a different selection of Arms. This is also a no brainer considering the work of figuring out how to translate Arms to Smash is already done.

These are not either / or, please do all three!

You forgot to include Elma and Marina. Nintendo has 5 recent top notch designs of dark-skin women and none of them as fighters in Smash. As excited as I am for Min Min, I'm at the same time so disappointed with this situation and Twintelle's exclusion.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'm surprised they went with Min Min and not Spring Man. Cool either way.
Though that "everyone is a protagonist" line is such a cop-out.

Not surprising at all, Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy and if I recall correctly even before ARMS came out Reggie mentioned how popular Min Min was.

Damn, black people stay losing.

Only hope now is Elma.

Not gonna happen, if they add another XC character(a big if already) it's gonna be from XC1 and XC2.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
To be quite honest, the mod note makes me not sure if this forum is a welcome place to talk about the Japanese gaming industry's hegemony that centers East Asian and white coded identities while marginalizing black, brown, and indigenous coded identities.
again I have to agree.

There is a whole lot that can be talked about with this topic (Like how Sakurai looked at the whole cast and zeroed in on ... the 2 Asian characters and likely would have picked the Japanese Ninja dude that again, is almost only popular in Japan. The fuck? Team willing to accept praise for Twin and openly worked with NoA and NoE to make Twin and yet no one brang her up as an option? Seems almost certain that if Sakurai is allowed to just pick another ARMs character in the future it's gonna be the Ninja cause he seems to clearly not care about rep) but... I don't think it's a convo anyone is encouraged to have.
I have to agree with this too. I don't want to take away from Chinese representation and I'm more than fine with her inclusion, but there's a huge issue of colorism as well as anti-blackness to consider that Min Min isn't helping with.
This is a conversation we're more than willing to host. In fact we welcome it, it's one we should have, and people have been having it in this thread, we're just asking people not to dismiss asian representation or claim it's not important.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, the thought of the only ARMS representative in the game being someone who uses her hair instead of her arms is hilarious lol.

It sucks that Nintendo's history of Black characters ... is lacking to say the least, but I think Elma definitely still has a shot. Don't give up hope!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough. I'd like Elma to get in, as Smash needs more diversity in general, but X as a game is much lower in terms of stuff I like, while XBC2 is in my top 10 favorite games. One perspective is more important, obviously, but I won't pretend I wouldn't be disappointed not to get my XBC2 rep possibly ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Is there's ever a XC2 rep is going to be either Rex along with Pyra and Mythra or (hopefully) Morag and Brighid.

The latter would not only benefit from being more female representation but possibly even Queer representation.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising at all, Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy and if I recall correctly even before ARMS came out Reggie mentioned how popular Min Min was.

Not gonna happen, if they add another XC character(a big if already) it's gonna be from XC1 and XC2.
Nah, there is a chance. If Monolith is working on a remake of X, Sakurai thinks he can make a really cool moveset out of Elma or he is forced by Nintendo do include her.

Like, slim, but it's there.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
X needs a full on sequel, not a remake. A remake can't fix what needs to be fixed in that game, if it's like Definitive Edition.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
His play style would be one of a kind as well. I love out of the box fighting characters.

Naw fuck Rex. Rex is boring. A combo character wouldn't even be new. There is nothing Rex brings to the table that is interesting and the character is just . . . not what gets me hype about smash. If I have to have a XC2 character give me Lora.

Of course give us Nia!
In true form dual wielding a chakram and her sword

Give her some stockings ala smash Mythra and I could fuck with it. Not that it would ever happen

latest

"LETS SHOW THEM A THING OR THREE!!!"

NIA, LOOK AT THIS SHINY THING I FOUND!!!

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who doesn't care about arms I like min min! She looks cute and her move set is pretty cool, still think there's way better reps out there but not bad

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's tough. I'd like Elma to get in, as Smash needs more diversity in general, but X as a game is much lower in terms of stuff I like, while XBC2 is in my top 10 favorite games. One perspective is more important, obviously, but I won't pretend I wouldn't be disappointed not to get my XBC2 rep possibly ever.

The problem with Elma for something like a diversity pick is
that she isn't human, let alone black. Plus her true form is white as snow.

elma_full_scan_copy.png

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
There is a problem with Colorism in Smash that Sakurai and company are clearly not addressing, but a lot of that is symptomatic of the video game industry at large and its predilection for light-skinned protagonists. I personally would love if a Mexican character made it into Smash, but very few candidates emerge that could take advantage of that.
I could be wrong, but I always assumed that Little Mac was Hispanic.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The problem with Elma for something like a diversity pick is
that she isn't human, let alone black. Plus her true form is white as snow.

elma_full_scan_copy.png

Though Smash in general needs a lot more gender representation that isn't male and having Elma still would be nice, but not completely solving the issue that is the complete lack of human diversity in Smash or more important roles for other ethnic groups in their games.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
min min is cool

her, twintelle, and lola pop are the only arms characters i dig design-wise

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Props to Sakuri for mixing things up with the playstyle, although the Up-special and side-specials are kinda bland, albeit understandable (side especially).

Still, I'd have to think she'll be pretty low tier. Heavy characters already struggle, so the ones he claims she does well again just won't really be in contention to begin with, and the apparently terrible non-linear gameplay and seeming weakness in the air will be a death sentence in high level play.

Personally I was hoping for Ribbon Girl since I had been thinking that her quad jump would make up for what I was [apparently correctly] assuming would be a linear grounded playstyle, but nothing wrong with MinMin, of course. The deflection being a normal is an inspired choice.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Maybe i'm reading something different but that's absolutely not what the mod post is saying. The lack of black representation in smash and generally across nintendo games is incredibly poor (the gaming industry as a whole as well). That absolutely should be discussed. There is a way to do that without talking down the fact that min min represents another minority group who clearly feel represented by her.

I think we're reading it fairly different ways.
I read it more so as using the "PoC" label to placate/ pacify the discourse here.

To me Twin and Min rep are in no way comparable so talking about it shouldn't require a pet-pet on Nintendo's head to say "good job including a different group of Asian people! (Oh, you almost went for another Japanese man you slick lil scamp Sakurai! You sneaky fucker!)".

If there are people who feel represented with Min then that's great. (I've said that like 3 times in this thread cause I have to make it clear that I don't want to downplay her importance to people who feel repped by her)

But as they're checking off sub boxes with in "Asian" brown people just lost the one shot they had with in reason.
(I also never really saw this desire for a "Chinese rep" blossom all that much before today. The fact that she was a female more popular than the "mascot" always took front and center stage in talks, people seemed to just run with "PoC" label cause they don't like the backlash.
I mean ... fuck, does anyone want Chun-Li because of the representation she would bring to Chinese people through her nationality or because she's the queen of fighting games and we want more females in smash? Her being Chinese never factored into my desire for her and I don't remember that being a big deal for most but clearly I don't speak for everyone so I could be wrong af)

In no way do I see it as "progress"/ anything close to a shared win for people wanting Twin ... yet a lot of people want to push it and spin it as some kinda together victory.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong, but I always assumed that Little Mac was Hispanic.
1) that's in contention
2) Hispanic doesn't necessarily mean Mexican, and grouping an entire continent under an umbrella term is part of the reason race talk in the United States is so fraught with miscommunication. Hell, Mexican doesn't even mean brown if you go south of the Rio Bravo.