• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be hilarious the second someone very talented like recreates a fairly good Mario kart or Mario game when Nintendo loses their absolute shit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Found the guitar demo Media Molecule showed off. More interesting stuff in this video as well, but I time stamped the guitar action fighter demo.

"The Brutal Legends team is really going to love this."

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, without a doubt.

I'm still not sold on Dreams though. It seems like something I'm going to love watching a few videos of for stuff like this and that's about it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Seems more like monkey see, monkey do than using creative energy, if you ask me.

There're plenty of people trying original creations, but there're also people trying existing creations to learn the tools and familiarize themselves with what's possible in Dreams. Remember the early access has only been out a couple of weeks, it takes time for people to learn and then apply that knowledge.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to try to make a full-fledged JRPG in this but can't really justify it from a money perspective.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
oh my god . . . that is blowing my mind. we have results like this already? my dream of doing a Stunt Race FX type spiritual successor may actually be doable
Right? Dreams coming true. I will tackle Final Fantasy XI Beastmaster, I will likely fail, but I might as well, it a easy to use way to make your dream game.

Oct 25, 2017
So, he made a visual copy of Minecraft in Dreams, yea...

Reminds me of the crap copies of Limbo that kept getting talked about that were made in Little Big Planet. Ya know, the ones that looked amazingly like Limbo but didn't even remotely play like Limbo.

I will be much more impressed when someone makes a legitimately good gaming experience using one of these creator games. For some reason, RPG Maker allows people to make legitimately good games that can sell but Little Big Planet, and like Dreams, will never get user created content that goes viral and causes them to sell.

You really know nothing about Dreams to make this statement.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
There is a big difference between making a demo level that is a few minutes long in a couple of weeks, looks pretty, and has a couple of basic mechanics like rolling a ball or 3D platforming and being able to build a fully featured game experience that is actually worth playing for hours on end.

I disagree pretty strongly with basically your entire post, but here's a couple of things just on the above point.
  • A game doesn't have to be fully featured and have hours worth of content for it to be interesting and worth playing.
The engine is quite capable of producing those longer experiences, but I really think that the format is a more natural fit for shorter experiences.

This is because the Autosurf function exists, games load basically instantly, and shorter experiences are simply easier to produce. What you are doing is equivalent to a person in 2005 shitting on Youtube videos because they aren't Scoresese films - you are ignoring the strengths of the new format and focusing entirely on how it compares disfavourably to what we already have.

There are a handful of Dreams games that have kept my attention for 30+ minutes , but my favorite thing to do at this point in Dreams' cycle is to try a bunch of different games or experiences in quick succession. I have a blast just experiencing the creativity of other users and seeing all the neat shit that they have made, whether that be a beautiful vista they have designed, an inventive gameplay mechanic, one well-executed jump-scare, or a dumb joke that makes me laugh.

This kind of stuff is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than Ubisoft Open World Game #245, even though the latter passes your test of being a fully-featured, multi-hour experience. I haven't stopped playing and creating in Dreams since it came out, and it's competing with Sekiro for my time - a great game in a series that I adore.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I REALLY hope this game succeeds. Games like this and Project Spark (which had it's fair share of problems) can inspire SO MANY people to start on the path of game development. It's also a great way to teach coding or computer logic, which is an essencial skill in the workforce today. If I had kids I would be getting them this.

Nov 23, 2017
There is a big difference between making a demo level that is a few minutes long in a couple of weeks, looks pretty, and has a couple of basic mechanics like rolling a ball or 3D platforming and being able to build a fully featured game experience that is actually worth playing for hours on end.

The fact is that most content creators that can create good game content are going to produce it using a tool that allows them to actually sell their content. Something like Unity, Unreal, RPG Maker, or other similar tools.

That is where all of these "creator games" fall flat. Sure you will get a couple of interesting concepts, but you will never get a great game.

Even on Little Big Planet, most of the "great" content everyone talked about was crappy ripoffs of already successful games. I am already seeing this with Dreams with stuff like Minecraft, Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario Bros. Somehow not surprised.
The ignorance/negativity in your posts on this thread is frankly astounding (and also ignorant about lbp, which has no excuse as an established franchise)

Mario maker for example is beloved and is much more limited in scope than Dreams.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to try to make a full-fledged JRPG in this but can't really justify it from a money perspective.
This right here is going to be the biggest hurdle for Dreams imo. I really hope they figure out some way that people will be able to sell their creations in-game. It's probably going to be pretty hard, but that is going to turn this from a "game" to a "platform".

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The draw of Dreams isn't "come make a full-fledged 2+ year full time project that would be worth selling on another platform". Is it possible? I think so, and I'm sure we'll see a couple crazy, dedicated creators take a crack at that down the line. But that's not the point, and I don't even know why you would come in here wanting or expecting that.

The draw of Dreams is being a powerful all-in-one creation tool for PS4 that lets you easily create, collaborate, share, and play/view other people's art at the drop of a hat. They can be games, music, 3D-sculpts, little animations or movies, dioramas, etc.. Yes, typically these are going to be things you spend 5-15 minutes checking out and then moving on, like you would with a game jam or a collection of student projects. What's wrong with that? That's awesome.

I don't really understand why people are still so dismissive at what this is.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The ignorance/negativity in your posts on this thread is frankly astounding (and also ignorant about lbp, which has no excuse as an established franchise)

Mario maker for example is beloved and is much more limited in scope than Dreams.
Isnt MM beloved because it offers a proper a Mario experience? It isnt like it is a game maker, it is called Mario Maker and it is exatly what you get

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Isnt MM beloved because it offers a proper a Mario experience? It isnt like it is a game maker, it is called Mario Maker and it is exatly what you get

Most community levels in MM are mediocre too but yeah it is a more focused experience for sure.

I disagree pretty strongly with basically your entire post, but here's a couple of things just on the above point.
  • A game doesn't have to be fully featured and have hours worth of content for it to be interesting and worth playing.
The engine is quite capable of producing those longer experiences, but I really think that the format is a more natural fit for shorter experiences.

This is because the Autosurf function exists, games load basically instantly, and shorter experiences are simply easier to produce. What you are doing is equivalent to a person in 2005 shitting on Youtube videos because they aren't Scoresese films - you are ignoring the strengths of the new format and focusing entirely on how it compares disfavourably to what we already have.

There are a handful of Dreams games that have kept my attention for 30+ minutes , but my favorite thing to do at this point in Dreams' cycle is to try a bunch of different games or experiences in quick succession. I have a blast just experiencing the creativity of other users and seeing all the neat shit that they have made, whether that be a beautiful vista they have designed, an inventive gameplay mechanic, one well-executed jump-scare, or a dumb joke that makes me laugh.

This kind of stuff is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than Ubisoft Open World Game #245, even though the latter passes your test of being a fully-featured, multi-hour experience. I haven't stopped playing and creating in Dreams since it came out, and it's competing with Sekiro for my time - a great game in a series that I adore.

This is very well put

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly was very dismissive of Dreams at it's initial reveal thinking it was more akin to little big planet or something, but after seeing more and more videos of what can be achieved within this game man my mind is blown at how impressive it is. Dreams might be my most anticipated game ever. Dreams doesn't even seem like a "game", it's more like a multi function 3D entertainment creation engine.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly was very dismissive of Dreams at it's initial reveal thinking it was more akin to little big planet or something, but after seeing more and more videos of what can be achieved within this game man my mind is blown at how impressive it is. Dreams might be my most anticipated game ever. Dreams doesn't even seem like a "game", it's more like a multi function 3D entertainment creation engine.

Yup good times ahead. Can't wait to see what Dreams will be able to do on the PS5 and PSVR 2.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Looking at these videos, I now regret everything I've said about this game pre-release. These concepts all look fantastic!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This right here is going to be the biggest hurdle for Dreams imo. I really hope they figure out some way that people will be able to sell their creations in-game. It's probably going to be pretty hard, but that is going to turn this from a "game" to a "platform".
Patreon exists. You can even make an opening splash page that says "support me on patreon.com/xxxxxxx". Not too hard. People do this already with a lot of things. It doesn't have to be monetized on the actual PlayStation. And "donations" bypass the potential for copyright infringement.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
There is one, its called Ka-boom! Can't find any videos on it, but is pretty solid.
Briefly tried looking it up, couldn't find any either but when I buy Dreams I'll make sure to look for it. The current projects people have made are mind-blowing, can only imagine where Dreams will be years down the line.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow looks like if I get a PS5 dreams will be the only game I need. Somebody will probably make The Last of Us 3 in dreams before Sony actually makes it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The vehicle levels have me hoping someone will make a Twisted Metal/Vigilante 8 successor. Once you get the mechanics hashed out, you could have some crazy fun with level design.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some people seem awfully skeptical of whether Dreams will pay off or not in terms of content, but as someone with no background in game design (But created a bunch of stuff in the LBP series), Dreams seems like the natural next step for both the player and MM; like I thought it was cool I could make my own levels in LBP but its limitations were there. Dreams really does feel you could create anything. I'm not sure if the Puppet Show has already been posted here, but people will find unique and cool things to create.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Briefly tried looking it up, couldn't find any either but when I buy Dreams I'll make sure to look for it. The current projects people have made are mind-blowing, can only imagine where Dreams will be years down the line.

https://indreams.me/dream/mwYTYLGdoAq/

b4cad5eb275c430bd929d69aa54ed645

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious. How would you feel if someone remade Breath of Death VII in dreams?

Calling it now, this is going to be a killer app for PSVR/PSVR2. Just endless experiences to enjoy.

I'm quite curious how the VR stuff is.
I figure the Dreams timeline is actually a quite long timeline.

Now, early access where people get to learn the tools to create interesting things for the full release this fall.
After the full release people get to continue to learn the tools and make more fun stuff until the ps5 comes out.
the ps5 is actually when Dreams really starts, and sony starts to market it, with over a year of user creations to show off, and now with the ability to create a lot larger and more detailed things on the ps5 (using an upgraded version of the ps4 game running on the ps5) by the time the psvr 2.0 comes out people will have had a least a year of making VR experiences in dreams and offer a ton of things for sony to show off with that. Since a lot of VR games are more experiences than games right now it will basically give sony a huge pool of exclusive VR content to sell to people that is constantly growing for free to try to push VR to the casual market.

Oct 27, 2017

The fact is that most content creators that can create good game content are going to produce it using a tool that allows them to actually sell their content. Something like Unity, Unreal, RPG Maker, or other similar tools.

That is where all of these "creator games" fall flat. Sure you will get a couple of interesting concepts, but you will never get a great game.

Even on Little Big Planet, most of the "great" content everyone talked about was crappy ripoffs of already successful games. I am already seeing this with Dreams with stuff like Minecraft, Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario Bros. Somehow not surprised.
Always the same nonsense speech.

Level showing a recreation of something popular: 'yeah but its not as cool as the real thing! Nothing original about this'

Level showing original content: 'yeah but real talented people will use Unreal / Unity instead'

And the loop goes on.

Dreams is about having fun while making games, its about a community, its laughter and joy.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was just using the auto surf (that was great!!!) And i think i came accros some graphics demos from disarmed.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah this person is legit super talented.

Note that it says visual copy. I.e. it looks the part but doesn't play like it. While recreating looks certainly shows that the tools are neat it's a far cry from the truly impressive parts of Minecraft, the infinite, fully modifiable worlds. When you just say "recreate Minecraft" that's the first thing one would think of, not the graphics style and it's much more of a challenge for an engine to handle.