Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Years from now you will find this post and realize I called it first.

This will just be a fad.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This looks amazing.

I live next to a lake that has an island in the middle of it. I've always joked to my girlfriend that we should build a castle on the island and claim it as our own. With this I can actually do that lol

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
s.png

Good for them.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
This will be massive.

Now if only Nintendo would hurry up and use similar AR tech to make -

Splatoon: Planetary Turf War

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
To all the people yelling about dicks in the world, you're not funny or original. Initially, user-generated content will not be placed freely in the world.

I thought placing your own Minecraft creations in the world was the whole point of this thing?

Is there just adventures and collecting to do initially, as well as building but only you can see it?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not for me but this looks incredibly promising.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought placing your own Minecraft creations in the world was the whole point of this thing?

Is there just adventures and collecting to do initially, as well as building but only you can see it?
You won't be able to build things live in the world. The end goal seems to be that you build something first and then get it approved by Microsoft and only then you're able to place your creation somewhere. So you still get to "place your creations in the world" but you have to make it first, then place.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Unless it's seriously limited, I don't see how this will work since if it were completely open, then you'd see a lot of griefers just destroy everything.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
You won't be able to build things live in the world. The end goal seems to be that you build something first and then get it approved by Microsoft and only then you're able to place your creation somewhere. So you still get to "place your creations in the world" but you have to make it first, then place.

Thanks. Sounds cool

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
From forbes article:
That introduces an interesting social dynamic because, unlike most games, you'll be physically next to the person you're stealing from in the virtual world. "In order to steal, you would have to look up and go, 'Hmm, I'm going to take your blocks,'" Shenanigans will come...

Kids gonna be fighting.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as video games replace reality more and more for each generation of kids, I can't help but think that it's all a mistake

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Just read several articles and this project seems to be really ambitious. I'm hoping it turns out well for them, but i could still see it do crazy numbers and that'd push XBL on mobile even more.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
This game seems to be a way too feed their machine learning database for hololens etc,just like all Teslas out there feed data about driving into their system.

Mar 29, 2018
Bear in mind they'll make money off this by tying unique content you NEED to "hot spots" like McDonald's, Starbucks, Burger King, etc.

Corporations will be paying tons to get their real life stores and locations a content-foot in the game so that players visit and spend money

The creators will get paid shit tons for this and they'll gather all your data about where you move and what you buy at the same time, so your future movements and purchases will be predicted and also sold to said corporations

This is how Pokémon Go made its money

(The concept behind the game is fabulous and impressive, but the whole "F2P with no strings attached" thing is WAY too good to be true and people need to see that.)

Looks fun, and I like what I'm reading about no pay to win, no lootboxes and no timers to wait out. Sounds like it may be like the classic Minecraft where you can buy skins, texture packs and such, but you don't get to buy blocks or stuff like that. Seems like a decent monetization scheme that doesn't fuck over regular players. I don't think this is a game aimed at me but I am curious to try it.

See above

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
If the vision they present will be true to the actual game this has pokemon go level of success written all over it.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All the jank of Pokemon Go without an award winning set of characters to ruin. It's amazing that AR is actually getting worse.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
This seems extremely dangerous when you think about it.
Curious how its going to work, I wish they showed gameplay.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To all the people yelling about dicks in the world, you're not funny or original. Initially, user-generated content will not be placed freely in the world.

I was gonna mention this, not to be funny, not to be original, but just to say that the moment the chains come off, or someone figures a work around, there will be tons of F'd up repugnant sh*t out there. They better have some crazy ass software to determine what is OK and what isnt.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man, wish I had this when I was younger.

And I'm also worried the earth is going to be covered in blocky penises. Haha.

Jun 17, 2018
I continue to not care about 'AR' if it's relegated to my mobile device. Pokemon Go's popularity had jack shit to do with it's very limited AR features.

If you're talking Hololens or some Google glass type hardware, sure. But people by and large aren't going to be interested into postage-stamp-sized windows of AR held in their hands, is my bet.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise you spoke for the entire population.

I too don't really care for AR features but you can bet your ass that the kids are going to flock to this and it's going to be absolutely fucking massive!

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't care less about the game but it will be huge if they pull it off.

Love reading about the tech behind it though , impressive stuff .

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like something that will be a lot of fun to sit around outside and build my entire neighborhood.

A Minecraft Earth viewer that allows you to check out creations from around the world would be incredible.