• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Sega should be working with someone like M2 and handling the production of this themselves. Anything not made directly by Sega is missing that level of 'authenticity' that the NES/SNES classics have.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
How much of a problem would it be to include Sonic 3 & Knuckles? You can just straight up buy it on Steam. Recent legal shenanigans?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Thank god, I have one of AT's flashbacks and they're terrible. Instead of a flashback they gave me fucking PTSD

I've wanted a good Mega Drive Classic for so long, that I've finally said fuck it, and made one myself.

Got one of those Mega Drive USB hubs:
PwNP8xu.jpg

Put in a Raspberry Pi running Retroarch:
gt8Mqig.jpg

Just ordered a couple 6 button original mod kits from 8Bitdo, which will convert them to Bluetooth controllers:
XdyfKRL.png

It's gonna be dope. Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, some Sega arcade classics. I'm amped.
That's awesome. I wish I had the skill to make this myself.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a problem would it be to include Sonic 3 & Knuckles? You can just straight up buy it on Steam. Recent legal shenanigans?

Yes. Sega has been recently trying to settle these things relatively quietly, which usually results in emulated games not getting new ports instead of getting taken down. Something similar is suspected to have happened to Ecco titles (although I don't have we have such a smoking gun there as Hard Times).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

So a lot of the buzz around S3&K not getting a recent re-release have to do with the music, some of which was composed by Michael Jackson (more specifically his team) and seems to be tangling everything up.

What's odd is like you say, you can still buy them on Steam as well as the Xbox 360 marketplace (which is backwards compatible). Obviously you can't buy Wii points anymore but they're still on the Virtual Console as well.

So, who knows. No one who's not privy to Sega's internal workings is going to know why it was okay then but not now. It did come out very recently that the music for Icecap Zone was lifted from a totally different band, The Jetzons, which probably played a role in that. Christian Whitehead (creator of Sonic Mania and the 1, 2 and CD mobile ports) tried selling Sega on a mobile version of 3 a few years back but was firmly rejected.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Stop this, my wallet is crying. I thought I could safely skip this but now I'll have to add it to my growing collection of microconsoles.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
That's awesome. I wish I had the skill to make this myself.

I felt the same way, until I just jumped right in. There are tons of resources out there to guide you through building a Retropie. I put both of mine in an NES style cases, picked up a SF30 Pro from 8bitdo for one of them, and got a PS1 to USB adapter for the other. All in, you'll probably spend about $130 all together if you buy a controller like mine, but it's not needed. I got a retrode and backed up all my physical games (save files on SNES games too). It's fun and rewarding, and I can't recommend it enough.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I brought my nephew one, one of the worse UI's i ever seen, especially in HD

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously can't wait for the controller mods to come in. I'm gonna flood this thread with pics.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If Sega puts out a mini Genesis that doesn't suck and has the option to use real carts, I'll be in love.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, this can only mean they wont half-ass it after seeing the quality of the Nintendo's offerings and the insane money they made.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for the people at At Games, but man they were a terrible company.

Good call by Sega. If you're going to put your brand out there, make sure it's quality, to increase your market value, not lower it.

If they could allow for cart slot again, that would be amazing if done properly!

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I was just about to ask about this!!!!!

And I was literally going to say "the lack of follow-up news and deleted AtGames tweets makes me think SEGA changed who was making it"

I'm so happy!!! The US version makes me happy too!! (ATGames was saying the US version was going to have a cartridge slot........ we dodged a bullet)

Great news!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Sega announce a new Genesis Mini some months ago and it was going to be made by AtGames? Is this for ANOTHER Genesis or what exactly?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
A proven japanese dev that makes hardware ?

Now imagine how it would be if Nintendo made these things, after all they had the most success of anybody selling mini systems.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sega announce a new Genesis Mini some months ago and it was going to be made by AtGames? Is this for ANOTHER Genesis or what exactly?

The original plan was to use ATGames, but it appears that Sega of Japan has moved on from them. Given the amount of flack they've gotten over the years (ranging from poor emulation, to poor sound quality), I wouldn't be surprised if Sega of Japan was not happy with the hardware they provided.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a company that just licensed out the controllers for reproduction, and with usb connections? Seems like a no brainer to bundle at least one of those in.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The original plan was to use ATGames, but it appears that Sega of Japan has moved on from them. Given the amount of flack they've gotten over the years (ranging from poor emulation, to poor sound quality), I wouldn't be surprised if Sega of Japan was not happy with the hardware they provided.

Thanks. I guess they never announced a release date, right? This means it has been technically "delayed" then.
It's for the best if it means they are going to release a quality product.