Does the next mainline Mario game get announced by the end of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 384 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 197 33.9%

• Total voters

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Era when a new Mario game is announced with no new hardware on the horizon:

th

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I'm assuming the next Mario will be announced with the next Switch and I don't think the next Switch is getting announced this year

As for this quote itself that's about all Miyamoto would ever say lol

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I don't even care what he said. He looks so happy. Happy people make people happy. Whatever he's got cooking is going to be fantastic.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
New Mario game confirmed! I have to go update my blog...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's too early for Odyssey 2 imo.

I remember rumors about 3D Mario with DK. I've been thinking of that idea and it being a sequel to Bowser's Fury.

My idea involved Mario being cut in half by Bowser (who finally realizes Mario's jump is his most dangerous weapon) and his legs being replaced by useless Goomba feet and so he rides on DK, but can still help out by tossing fire balls for instance and being tossed around by the big ape. And when he encounters an enemy missing its top half, Mario can take control of the lower half like a weird centaur, kind of Odyssey like. 🤔

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm ready for 3D open-world Mario/Odyssey 2!

I remember rumors about 3D Mario with DK. I've been thinking of that idea and it being a sequel to Bowser's Fury.

My idea involved Mario being cut in half by Bowser (who finally realizes Mario's jump is his most dangerous weapon) and his kegs being replaced by useless Goomba feet and so he rides on DK, but can still help out by tossing fire balls for instance and being tossed around. And when he encounters an enemy missing its top half, Mario can take control of the lower half like a weird centaur. 🤔

How is it too early? Mario Odyssey was released in October 2017, it will be six years this October.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK

My idea involved Mario being cut in half by Bowser (who finally realizes Mario's jump is his most dangerous weapon) and his legs being replaced by useless Goomba feet and so he rides on DK, but can still help out by tossing fire balls for instance and being tossed around by the big ape. And when he encounters an enemy missing its top half, Mario can take control of the lower half like a weird centaur, kind of Odyssey like. 🤔

giphy.gif

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?????

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He could have just said "No plans" or "Stay tuned for future information" but he HAD to say Direct.....

Oct 29, 2017
I kinda hope whatever comes next is 2D, only to see if Nintendo would finally have gone back to the drawing board on aesthetics. NSMB games were fine enough to play, even the handhelds, but that design template and the music are hopefully over and done.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds weirder on paper but...like Mario is non-violently split in half and his bottom replaced by Goomba legs as Bowser steals Mario's bottom half because that's his strongest power. Also Bowser is pirate themed here so there's a "booty" pun.

Donkey Kong finds him and since Mario is unable to do his usual athletics, he hitches a ride on DK (think Baby Mario riding on Yoshi or Diddy Kong riding DK in DKCR). There's layers here!

And Donkey Kong controls like 3D World style, but you have a large open hub world (an ocean with many islands, DK Island included) that lead into obstacle course levels with a variety of missions...think a larger scale Bowser's Fury.

And some various enemies have also been split in half by Bowser, so their bottom half wander around and Mario can attach his top half to them...like a spring-tailed enemy to bounce around, a wiggler body to climb up walls, etc. Also in his stubby Goomba-leg form DK can toss him around and he can go through small passages and other such stuff, as well as being the one to utilize powerups like Fire Flowers and Boomerangs while riding DK.

Just came up with this idea after playing Bowser's Fury so it's still cooking but I got a good idea going here.

Even got the perfect subtitle...Top Bananas. Y'know because DK loves bananas, Mario is just his top half in this, and they're Nintendo's two big stars.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
please don't tease me with a june direct if you're not gonna deliver. my heart can't take it

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
nintendo not having a new mario to coincide with this movie reminds me of the gamecube launch (Luigi's mansion was a LUIGI game)

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
If a new Mario is announced without new hardware then I won't know what to believe anymore. May June be the direct of dreams…

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It sounds weirder on paper but...like Mario is non-violently split in half and his bottom replaced by Goomba legs as Bowser steals Mario's bottom half because that's his strongest power. Also Bowser is pirate themed here so there's a "booty" pun.

Donkey Kong finds him and since Mario is unable to do his usual athletics, he hitches a ride on DK (think Baby Mario riding on Yoshi or Diddy Kong riding DK in DKCR). There's layers here!

And Donkey Kong controls like 3D World style, but you have a large open hub world (an ocean with many islands, DK Island included) that lead into obstacle course levels with a variety of missions...think a larger scale Bowser's Fury.

And some various enemies have also been split in half by Bowser, so their bottom half wander around and Mario can attach his top half to them...like a spring-tailed enemy to bounce around, a wiggler body to climb up walls, etc. Also in his stubby Goomba-leg form DK can toss him around and he can go through small passages and other such stuff, as well as being the one to utilize powerups like Fire Flowers and Boomerangs while riding DK.

Just came up with this idea after playing Bowser's Fury so it's still cooking but I got a good idea going here.

Even got the perfect subtitle...Top Bananas. Y'know because DK loves bananas, Mario is just his top half in this, and they're Nintendo's two big stars.
Literally why not make a Yoshi's Island 3D game out of this?
You get mario riding, occasionally using his power as a lead.
You got projectiles as well.

And also it's not nightmare inducing in the most graphic way.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I mean, they have to be prepping the next mainline game for Switch 2's launch year no doubt. The real surprise will be when it's Galaxy 3.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Of course he's gonna say that. That's where they unveil new games and there's no way they're gonna stop making Mario games. Therefore, a new Mario game will be revealed in a future Direct.

In 2024.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally why not make a Yoshi's Island 3D game out of this?
You get mario riding, occasionally using his power as a lead.
You got projectiles as well.

And also it's not nightmare inducing in the most graphic way.
Because Mario and DK deserve a game together...but taking a holistic approach, I figured Mario should be disabled in some way to make DK feel more important to him. Like why would Mario need DK otherwise? I know it's "then don't make a game with them!" but cmon it'd be fun to see then together. So I was like "what if Mario can't jump", and then I already decided on Bowser being a pirate and then the "booty" stealing Mario's bottom half was such a great pun.

The dynamic I'm thinking is DK is super laid back the whole time...the health would be tied to Mario (like how when DK get hit in DKCR the partner takes damage first) so DK mostly shrugs off getting hit and when DK let's Mario go off on his own, he'd take a nap. Also DK is only on the adventure because Mario promised him a Banana Cake baked by Princess Peach. Of course he'd get serious like in the finale which I picture in a flooded New Donk as he and Bowser have a Kaiju fight.

Also realized it'd be a lot more palatable if Mario's bottom half during most time's was replaced with a blue Shy Guy bottom. It'd perfectly blend with Mario's overalls, the belt would be a good point to show where the split is, and Shy Guy functionally has limited movement typically. But there'd still be the fusing with other enemies but it'd be sort of cartoonly silly than disturbing.

Oct 28, 2017
an iterative odyssey sequel in the same vain as galaxy 2 would have been a lovely thing, but given the timeframe. i presume they are doing something different. perhaps a large, more varied open world like bowser's fury?

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Thread title had me thinking it was probably a neutral kind of PR statement but that signature grin and laugh of his has me thinking otherwise.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Because Mario and DK deserve a game together...but taking a holistic approach, I figured Mario should be disabled in some way to make DK feel more important to him. Like why would Mario need DK otherwise? I know it's "then don't make a game with them!" but cmon it'd be fun to see then together. So I was like "what if Mario can't jump", and then I already decided on Bowser being a pirate and then the "booty" stealing Mario's bottom half was such a great pun.

The dynamic I'm thinking is DK is super laid back the whole time...the health would be tied to Mario (like how when DK get hit in DKCR the partner takes damage first) so DK mostly shrugs off getting hit and when DK let's Mario go off on his own, he'd take a nap. Also DK is only on the adventure because Mario promised him a Banana Cake baked by Princess Peach. Of course he'd get serious like in the finale which I picture in a flooded New Donk as he and Bowser have a Kaiju fight.

Also realized it'd be a lot more palatable if Mario's bottom half during most time's was replaced with a blue Shy Guy bottom. It'd perfectly blend with Mario's overalls, the belt would be a good point to show where the split is, and Shy Guy functionally has limited movement typically. But there'd still be the fusing with other enemies but it'd be sort of cartoonly silly than disturbing.
I mean I'm pretty sure this kinda how we got Yoshi's Island to begin with.
They probably started with Mario being in a powerless state and Yoshi carry him the whole time.
It kinds of feel wrong to get Mario + DK in a context outside of the mini adjacent games if you ask me but it might just be me missing these games (that are now unavailable because fuck you that's why).

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
this is huge, if true this could mean there are more games planned in the Mario franchise which I thought was dead