• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
neat fan graphs is giving the white sox a 1.6% chance to win the world series this year and a 28% chance to make the playoffs

MLB Playoff Odds | FanGraphs Baseball

Playoff odds tell how likely an MLB team will win the division, wild card berth or win the World Series. FanGraphs simulates each season 10,000 times to generate the probabilities.
dodgers have the best chance to make the playoffs at 97.5% and the astros are the favorite to win overall at 20.2% (follow by the dodgers at 19.9)

the only team that fan graphs gives no chance to go to the playoffs are orioles, and mariners
This has updated and the Dodgers are now the favorites at 20.4% and Astros at 20.0%

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge-giancarlo-stanton-injury-update
"Part of a season is the constant ebbs and flows of dealing with injuries," Cashman said. "Right now, none of the games count while we're missing important players, so I'd rather be dealing with it right now than having it bleed deep in or cause significant time in-season. Hopefully in the case of Stanton and Judge, you're dealing with limited time rather than maximum time like with Severino."

Cashman doesn't know what maximum time is... Someone needs to remind him about Ellsbury

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So you guys think Stanton is opting out of the remaining 8 years/$218 million left on his deal after this season?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
18eFJ1a.png

time for me to forget I ever entered this and accidentally win 1 million in 10 years :P

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Brewers, who lost catcher Yasmani Grandal and infielder Mike Moustakas to free agency last offseason, evidently were saving for something bigger:

A monster extension for outfielder Christian Yelich.

The Brewers are close to agreement with Yelich on a new contract worth more than $200 million, major-league sources told The Athletic on Tuesday. The deal, likely to be for seven years, is expected to be announced Friday at the team's spring-training facility in Maryvale, Ariz.

It is not clear whether the new contract will supersede the remaining two guaranteed years and club option left on Yelich's current deal, whether it will amount to an extension further extending the Brewers' control, or whether it will combine elements of both concepts.

Link

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yelich is fantastic but I'd be iffy to extend anyone to a deal that huge when you still have them for 3 more years.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yelich is fantastic but I'd be iffy to extend anyone to a deal that huge when you still have them for 3 more years.

That's a problem I have with baseball at this point, those long contracts obviously favor the player instead of the organization. Just gotta hope they stay healthy and have the drive to produce I guess?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's a problem I have with baseball at this point, those long contracts obviously favor the player instead of the organization. Just gotta hope they stay healthy and have the drive to produce I guess?

I mean, the team doesn't have to give him a long contract. He's 28. They have him under contract at well below market value for 3 more seasons. It's possible that will comprise the remainder of his physical prime, and who knows what kind of player he will be from age 31 on. What's the rush?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the team doesn't have to give him a long contract. He's 28. They have him under contract at well below market value for 3 more seasons. It's possible that will comprise the remainder of his physical prime, and who knows what kind of player he will be from age 31 on. What's the rush?

True.

Not sure how much truth there is to it, but some are pointing to them getting this done prior to another CBA. Who knows.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

The Pirates' announcers are the worst

HOW DARE HE TOSS HIS GLOVE TO THE SIDE!!1!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The white sox have a solid pair right now as well

is a great story in general, is passionate about baseball, and is pretty good at his job.

short version is he has Cerebral palsy and wanted to be involved in band and sports and what not so dedicated himself to being an announcer instead.

And Steve Stone isn't that bad.

Harrelson is fully retired now so outside of maybe a guest appearance if the team is doing good you all wouldn't have to worry about hearing him :P

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
The Dodgers have a top tier broadcast crew as well. Obviously nobody could ever replace Vin Scully, but they're great.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.espn.com

Sources: Angels ax visiting clubbie for aiding foes

The Angels have fired their visiting clubhouse manager for providing ball-doctoring substances to opposing pitchers, sources confirmed to ESPN. Brian Harkins provided a substance that consisted of a melted-down pine-tar solution and rosin, a source said.

What a way to end your nearly 35-year tenure with the same baseball organization

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna laugh my ass off when Hernandez wins the Cy Young this year.
I imagine the change of scenery is going to be good for him.
going from an ace that couldn't hold together a failure of a team, to a feel good story for a team that has a chance to make the playoffs has to do a ton to make him have fun and not stress during the season.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's zero chance Spring Training continues and a less than zero chance Opening Daymonth happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.