• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I thought the Yankees had a good analytics department? Maybe stop pitching a guy in close games who likes to throw fat pitches down the middle??

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Eight in a row. 🎨

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Verlander will be a good test tomorrow. He's the one guy the Yanks will have to beat in the postseason if they want to get to the WS.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Did the umps just make a pact before the start of the season to extend the plate for Eloy a few inches?
I don't think I've consistently seen a player have balls that were outside called strikes on him before as consistently as Eloy does against him #_#

Eloy has good eyes but is going to get bad habits from constantly needing to extend his zone :/

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I just realized that MLB is having the Yankees/Red Sox series in London next weekend at the same time as the Cricket World Cup that's taking place in England

Dummies

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure the games are still sold out, so it doesn't matter.
Not really taking about it in the context of ticket sales, more so talking about in terms of MLB finding a weekend where all of the local media talk could be about them rather than being split up with cricket (the World Cup of cricket, no less). Just find it kind of baffling that they couldn't even accomplish that.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not really taking about it in the context of ticket sales, more so talking about in terms of MLB finding a weekend where all of the local media talk could be about them rather than being split up with cricket (the World Cup of cricket, no less). Just find it kind of baffling that they couldn't even accomplish that.

I don't know, I don't think that is much of a problem. Just the novelty factor alone of two American teams playing in London will still create news.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Starting pitching has been Cashman's biggest miss in the last couple years. He had the chance to get Verlander and Cole, but we got Gray and Happ instead.
Eh I don't blame him for not getting Cole. The pirates wanted Frazier and Andujar at the time. And I believe the issue with Verlander was luxury tax at the time, which is on Hal. Hopefully Hal opens up the checkbook for Cole this off-season.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Eh I don't blame him for not getting Cole. The pirates wanted Frazier and Andujar at the time. And I believe the issue with Verlander was luxury tax at the time, which is on Hal. Hopefully Hal opens up the checkbook for Cole this off-season.

They can ask for Frazier and Andujar, but that's why Cashman's got to negotiate. Pirates ended up getting Musgrove and Moran for Cole. So Cashman clearly could've tried a little harder in negotiations.

I really don't see Hal paying big money for Cole. Didi and Betances will be FAs. Judge and Sanchez are entering their first arbitration year. Paxton is entering his final arbitration year. So just for their own guys there's going to be a substantial increase in payroll. CC and Gardner will offset some of that, but I would be surprised if Hal gives the OK to offer Cole $25m per for 5-6 years, which is probably what he's going to get.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Phillies might be, at this point, the worst team in baseball. Just lost their 7th straight and got swept by the Marlins, who are last in the NHL and have the 3rd worst record for any team right now this season.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
They can ask for Frazier and Andujar, but that's why Cashman's got to negotiate. Pirates ended up getting Musgrove and Moran for Cole. So Cashman clearly could've tried a little harder in negotiations.

I really don't see Hal paying big money for Cole. Didi and Betances will be FAs. Judge and Sanchez are entering their first arbitration year. Paxton is entering his final arbitration year. So just for their own guys there's going to be a substantial increase in payroll. CC and Gardner will offset some of that, but I would be surprised if Hal gives the OK to offer Cole $25m per for 5-6 years, which is probably what he's going to get.
I'm not going say if Cash should've tried harder, he usually does very well in trades so I give him the benefit of doubt.

You're right that a lot of money won't come off the books this off-season (Chapman can opt out), but there's a lot of money off after the 2020 season. Including 3 members of the starting rotation: Tanaka, Paxton, and Happ. They're going to need starters and the Yankees have been gone hard after Cole twice and they know they need a top of the rotation arm.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not going say if Cash should've tried harder, he usually does very well in trades so I give him the benefit of doubt.

You're right that a lot of money won't come off the books this off-season (Chapman can opt out), but there's a lot of money off after the 2020 season. Including 3 members of the starting rotation: Tanaka, Paxton, and Happ. They're going to need starters and the Yankees have been gone hard after Cole twice and they know they need a top of the rotation arm.

They've gone hard after him when he was still young and controllable. He'll be 29 when he hits FA. If he's asking for 6 years, is that really smart to give him $25m per into his mid-30s? Maybe he'll age well like Verlander, but the Yanks have not had a lot of luck signing pitchers whose best years have past (ie. Randy Johnson, Clemens, Kevin Brown, Kenny Rogers, Happ, Pavano, etc).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
that was great watching a centerfielder screw up catching a line drive with the bases loaded

keep it up white sox get at least 1 more run to tie it up

edit: god Yonder Alonso needs to get DFAed a month ago #_#
I refuse to believe you can't throw a dart at a board of the roster of the AA and AAA rosters and get better production from who ever they call up from that. (not to mention the white sox have multiple people over age 30 who are former MLB players hitting over .300 in AAA :/)

edit: here's hoping they can tie in the 9th but I'm not mad about an 8 pitch strike out to end the inning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.