• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Still isn't going to change anything for me. I only play iOS games because they're mobile and fit in my pocket.

Like the Apple TV part but just never was a controller fan for iOS games despite having the option with the Steel Series Stratus I have for my Apple TV.

If I want to play a game with a controller, I'll play on my Xbox One X or PS4.

That said, it's good for those of you that like it.

Right now i am living in London with a laptop with Scuf and Steam and my iPhone, no PS4 or TV so to me this is wonderful. Dead Cells, Monster Boy, Wonder Boy, Oceanhorn 2... with a PS4 controller? Yes please. And to go i have Magnibox, Ordia, Backfire, Linelight,... i really like it. Surprised to see Apple with this since they always said is an all in one device, but the more the merrier

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a strategy game for Android
-Rusted Warfare ; Premium classic PC-style RTS
-Chaos Reborn: Adventures ; which is a game from one for the creators of X-COM. It combines Strategy, loot-based RPG, and cards into one game
-Heroes of Flatlandia ; Heroes of Might & Magic inspired strategy game with some Warcraft and boardgame elements thrown into the mix

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It's funny that you should say that because both TA and PocketGamer didn't seem to like the controls very much. Is it very difficult to control or just kinda janky?

Not sure why they say so (didn't read the reviews) but to me they are identical to Grimvalor, Oddmar or Elysian Tail controls.
With the difference you can move and resize buttons at will.
The game (it's the same on other platforms, certainly on Switch) has some inertia, which is different according to the character and the background (earth, water etc...), maybe is that.
After a bit of initial tinkering with positioning I never had single problem.
And I played on iPhone. On iPad it's even easier.
But maybe it's just me, others with the game can give some other feedback.

Oct 27, 2017
Great WWDC for gamers last night. Xbox and Dual Shock 4 pad support is huge. RIP MFI. That plus Apple Arcade across all platforms makes this into a decent proposal. The most proper offering Apple has given to gaming proper in a long time. I'm very excited.

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
-Rusted Warfare ; Premium classic PC-style RTS
-Chaos Reborn: Adventures ; which is a game from one for the creators of X-COM. It combines Strategy, loot-based RPG, and cards into one game
-Heroes of Flatlandia ; Heroes of Might & Magic inspired strategy game with some Warcraft and boardgame elements thrown into the mix
Thanks bro

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So DS4 and the XB1 Controller will Act like any other MFI Controller in iOS 13? That's fantastic, I'll skip buying an MFI Controller then and wait for iOS 13 instead.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So the DS4 and Xbox One controller connecting to iOS is probably over bluetooth. Could this mean I might be able to connect the 8bitdo stuff to my iPad (even though it won't be iOS anymore) in the future? Because that would be great.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
So the DS4 and Xbox One controller connecting to iOS is probably over bluetooth. Could this mean I might be able to connect the 8bitdo stuff to my iPad (even though it won't be iOS anymore) in the future? Because that would be great.

Only MFi controller or DS4/XB1S for now. Your 8bitdo could work as a bluetooth controller but only in specific apps, updated to work with that controller. Like the iCade back in the days.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that you should say that because both TA and PocketGamer didn't seem to like the controls very much. Is it very difficult to control or just kinda janky?

I can back that up. I passed on reviewing the game because I thought the controls were weirdly floaty and imprecise, even with a controller. I just wasn't going to make it through to post something timely.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
No problems with the controls here for Wonder Boy. It plays exactly the same as they do on console. It is a 1989 game with a fresh coat of paint so that's just the way it plays. Has absolutely nothing to do with the port.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've been stuck on this (I'm at 77% completion) and I know we have a few players here. Been staring at this for a while now. Can someone tell me a move I'm missing and the logic behind it? There are a few guesses I could make as there's some obvious symmetry there but I prefer to make all my moves based on logic and what I know can/can't be right:

7ebee04b-4d49-49e5-a98mk96.png

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
First time I've been stuck on this (I'm at 77% completion) and I know we have a few players here. Been staring at this for a while now. Can someone tell me a move I'm missing and the logic behind it? There are a few guesses I could make as there's some obvious symmetry there but I prefer to make all my moves based on logic and what I know can/can't be right:

In this instance you're gonna have to use the Force. I'm impressed you got to 77% with all 10 hints remaining. I'm on 156% and I've probably used hundreds of hints. There are some puzzles, like this one, where you either use trial and error, or a hint. I hate trial and error.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
In this instance you're gonna have to use the Force. I'm impressed you got to 77% with all 10 hints remaining. I'm on 156% and I've probably used hundreds of hints. There are some puzzles, like this one, where you either use trial and error, or a hint. I hate trial and error.
Ah, not the response I was hoping for but I appreciate you taking the time! Been playing Picross since the Game Boy game back in 1995 so it all comes pretty naturally now. Like you said, I hate to guess. Makes me feel like I'm missing something or there's a set of logic I'm not using.

Glad to know the puzzles keep going past 100% though. Ridiculous how much value I've had from a free game and the 12.9" iPad is the best way I've ever played picross. Think I'd struggle to go back to the Switch eshop games now using dpad and buttons

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ah, not the response I was hoping for but I appreciate you taking the time! Been playing Picross since the Game Boy game back in 1995 so it all comes pretty naturally now. Like you said, I hate to guess. Makes me feel like I'm missing something or there's a set of logic I'm not using.

Glad to know the puzzles keep going past 100% though. Ridiculous how much value I've had from a free game and the 12.9" iPad is the best way I've ever played picross. Think I'd struggle to go back to the Switch eshop games now using dpad and buttons
After 100% you unlock Expert Mode, which disables the X button (Xs still get autofilled when you clear a line). But you mostly play the same puzzles again. There's only a handful of new ones added to each collection.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

The central tile of the 2 2 1 2 2 line is provably the 1, and can therefore have a cross either side.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
GTA III updated with iPhone X support. Think that makes all the Rockstar games have X support now.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Ordia won Apple Design 2019 and deserving it. It has A LOT of details, A TON of details that make it really stand out. Best flinging game ever. So clever. Perfectly shaped for mobile. So far 2019: 1. Ordia 2. Backfire 3. Magnibox

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Tried the Wonder boy but didn't like how it feels with touch controls. Refunded after 5 minutes. Now I am thinking about GTA Chinatown Wars and Ordia. I dont know if I should get them on my iPad Pro or on Android (Pixel and Chromebook Plus). Ordia seems like a good game to play on the phone but would look nicer on a bigger screen, and for GTA I feel like the small screen of a phone isn't good enough. Maybe getting Ordia on Android and GTA on iOS are the best options.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Part Time UFO by HAL is on sale for the first time ever (for $2) and I picked it up. It's such a charming game.

Also, Bit Quake is free right now. Saw it being featured somewhere some months ago.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on Android? How's the port? It's currently on sale atm, so I'm thinking to pick it up.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on Android? How's the port? It's currently on sale atm, so I'm thinking to pick it up.

iOS port at least is pretty good IMO. But interface is a still hard on a phone. Tablet would be a better option.

Speaking of Final Fantasy games. Most of them are on sale for at least 50% off.

Disappointed that Square-Enix hasn't updated the classic games for iPhone X, except Tactics which only extended controls and not the gameplay screen itself.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
iOS port at least is pretty good IMO. But interface is a still hard on a phone. Tablet would be a better option.

Speaking of Final Fantasy games. Most of them are on sale for at least 50% off.

Disappointed that Square-Enix hasn't updated the classic games for iPhone X, except Tactics which only extended controls and not the gameplay screen itself.
Yeah, just saw some gameplay videos and tapping those clumped menus would be a nightmare. And the fact that the Android's version doesn't support cloud save makes me worried a little bit..

One more question, is the port has a fast-forward feature?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just saw some gameplay videos and tapping those clumped menus would be a nightmare. And the fact that the Android's version doesn't support cloud save makes me worried a little bit..

One more question, is the port has a fast-forward feature?

I think it does but it's been a while since I played. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
FYI, if you want a PS4 controller for iOS/tvos 13, they are ~$40 today.
It would be freakin awesome if you could also use the touchpad in some cool way... But since that is highly unlikely, I will probably get another Xbox One controller. "Shame" I only got two Elite controllers, but no usual One S one with Bluetooth. Even more sad that MS did not remade their Elite controller with Bluetooth.,

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Part Time UFO by HAL is on sale for the first time ever (for $2) and I picked it up. It's such a charming game.

Agreed. I grabbed Part Time UFO after seeing this and played the game on my flight yesterday. It's not easy! Or at least I'm not very good at the game. Especially the bonuses. I though I had the cheerleaders high enough, but at the last instant... 3.4m. Sigh.

FYI, if you want a PS4 controller for iOS/tvos 13, they are ~$40 today.
Nice. My launch DS4 is showing its age, especially after using the controller with Switch too. Overall I still slightly prefer the Xbox controller, but only the DS4 has motion and rumble with Switch. I'm ready for OS 13.

rock

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
any suggestions on how to go find some core/no microtransaction ios games? i haven't looked in years. there was a top down dungeon souls type of game several years ago i really enjoyed.. stuff like that with exploration and progression would be amazing!

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
any suggestions on how to go find some core/no microtransaction ios games? i haven't looked in years. there was a top down dungeon souls type of game several years ago i really enjoyed.. stuff like that with exploration and progression would be amazing!
Sounds like your describing Wayward Souls?

If you want something like that then I'd recommend Death Road to Canada, a game from that same developer.

Other games I'd recommend:
-Oddmar
-Pako 2
-Grimvalor
-Cat Quest
-Crashlands
-Kingdom: New Lands

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so expert mode in Pixel Puzzle Collection is just the same puzzles, but without the cross button?! Fuck that!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Alien Blackout on my wife's iPhone and it's actually pretty decent.

I expected the worst, but it's a nice take on Alien Isolation.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you join their discord and use the candle under rules, you can go to the Beta Announcements and join the Test Flight beta directly from there for Sky.

Edit: Since it's freely available there, I'll just post the Test Flight link:

Hopefully that's OK. :)

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know if Apple can replace my iPad screen without any big defects (some scratches)? I want to use my Apple Care before it expires. I understand I would pay for it.