awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Void Tyrant is soooo good. Plays a bit like blackjack but with various ability cards that stack on top of those to add variation to the combat. A welcome change from the usual Slay the Spire clones of late. Extraordinarily well done with a $4.99 premium unlock. There are some other IAPs but haven't determined if they are needed. Great game and if nothing else download to give it a shot!

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Void Tyrant is soooo good. Plays a bit like blackjack but with various ability cards that stack on top of those to add variation to the combat. A welcome change from the usual Slay the Spire clones of late. Extraordinarily well done with a $4.99 premium unlock. There are some other IAPs but haven't determined if they are needed. Great game and if nothing else download to give it a shot!

Agreed. The game is fantastic (review).

Just do the $4.99 unlock. It gets you everything except the Warp Rift, which you absolutely don't need and you can also buy it with in-game currency. 10,000 Guildins seems like a lot until you start getting to the final boss consistently.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
FYI, for wishlist, I just use Apple Notes. You can hit the 3 dots, and Share, and then save to Notes. I have a few different ones for Games, Work Apps, Coding, etc...

Rogue Wizard, Knights of Tartarus, Dark Quest 2 and Heroes of Flatlandia just went in there :). Well, technically the first two went into my game library :P.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Void Tyrant is like digital crack man. Can't stop playing!

A shame that ports get the attention when there are still some great original games like this still coming out.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
FYI, for wishlist, I just use Apple Notes. You can hit the 3 dots, and Share, and then save to Notes. I have a few different ones for Games, Work Apps, Coding, etc...

Rogue Wizard, Knights of Tartarus, Dark Quest 2 and Heroes of Flatlandia just went in there :). Well, technically the first two went into my game library :P.

You could just use this and get alerted of price drops?

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Void Tyrant is like digital crack man. Can't stop playing!

A shame that ports get the attention when there are still some great original games like this still coming out.
Jup, i agree. While it's great that we get all those ports, especially with upcoming controller support which will strengthen particularly the iPad as "real" gaming platform, but man, I still prefer a genuine game made for mobile. Void Tyrant is exactly that, perfectly suited for on the go short gaming sessions while also offering the depth and addictiveness to play it for an hour straight.

One huge disadvantage of this is missing iCloud sync.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Void Tyrant is quite addictive! The deck building, exploration, and progression gives me the feeling of a mix between Slay the Spire and Solitairica. It has that "one more run" gameplay loop to it while also able to be put down and picked up at any time.

Try this out guys! Terry Cavanagh (creator of the upcoming Dicey Dungeons) seems to like it:

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Sometime I wish there was a bit more explanation or "safety" mechanisms though... just happened to me that's accidentally threw away my weapon and armor and before that I also accidentally took a wrong weapon because I wanted to inspect a damage type...

Those are one time mistakes though and the game stays extremely addicting.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Hmm. I beat the first (?) boss of Void Tyrant pretty quickly. Now I've been continuing playing in the void and it seems I broke the game. Used that Energy Strike, lost my 70 energy and got for every 3 one strike... but after all of them are dealt to a Toktik the game simply pauses and does not show the winning animation.

Not sure if I should bother continue playing. Is there something after you beat the boss for the first time? I've still got quite some city upgrades to do.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So, is Another Eden any good? I downloaded the game but haven't allowed it to download fully after instillation. Just sitting on it for now. Otherwise, I migh buy a Play Store Card cause my wishlist is growing again. Just so many interesting new things I found just browsing, and I would like some input on what is worth it and what's not.
Screenshot-2019-07-03-16-04-02-177-com-android-vending.png

Screenshot-2019-07-03-16-03-55-556-com-android-vending.png

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
So, is Another Eden any good? I downloaded the game but haven't allowed it to download fully after instillation. Just sitting on it for now. Otherwise, I migh buy a Play Store Card cause my wishlist is growing again. Just so many interesting new things I found just browsing, and I would like some input on what is worth it and what's not.
A lot of good games in there. Golf Peaks and Photographs are great puzzle games. Grimvalor and Daggerhood are excellent action platformers. And Bring You Home and Lost Echo are fantastic adventure games.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

I liked Another Eden. I'm around 8 hours into it and it's a turn based JRPG set in the future. It's got towns, dungeons, quests, shopping, skills, equipment etc. and a GREAT soundtrack!! The gacha part of it I think is for new characters but the ones I have are fine there is no need to buy new ones. I give it a 7.5/10 and appreciate an actual jrpg effort on iOS.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
A lot of good games in there. Golf Peaks and Photographs are great puzzle games. Grimvalor and Daggerhood are excellent action platformers. And Bring You Home and Lost Echo are fantastic adventure games.
So basically I know how to select games by preference pretty well, thanks for the confirmation.
I liked Another Eden. I'm around 8 hours into it and it's a turn based JRPG set in the future. It's got towns, dungeons, quests, shopping, skills, equipment etc. and a GREAT soundtrack!! The gacha part of it I think is for new characters but the ones I have are fine there is no need to buy new ones. I give it a 7.5/10 and appreciate an actual jrpg effort on iOS.
So its a proper effort to bring the genre to the medium instead of just being a gacha battler, great. Gonna give it a go once I free up some space from all the auto chess I now play.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So basically I know how to select games by preference pretty well, thanks for the confirmation.

So its a proper effort to bring the genre to the medium instead of just being a gacha battler, great. Gonna give it a go once I free up some space from all the auto chess I now play.

Yes it's a rare game on iOS. I was VERY skeptical going on but seriously, it's a jrpg on phones with basically none of the bullshit we are used to. A breath of fresh air for sure !

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing Another Eden on my lunch break at work today. It's pretty good. Part way through the "tutorial" part it gave me a full party of four stars so hopefully won't need much more (A healer would be nice though). I just got to the part where I presume the game opens up and I'm looking forward to playing some more. Also looks sharp as hell on my pro.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I haven't been paying attention in the past and I've been playing on my wife's iPhone a lot more, but has anyone noticed that some games are now trying to get access to make and receive calls on Android?

Crazy as fuck.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I haven't been paying attention in the past and I've been playing on my wife's iPhone a lot more, but has anyone noticed that some games are now trying to get access to make and receive calls on Android?

Crazy as fuck.

IIRC That's actually used to pause the game while you receive a phone call. Google need to overhaul Android's permission system and explanations.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Void Tyrant is amazing! Can't stop playing. The game is really well done and isn't too aggressive with the IAP, I might go for the 5$ unlock, they deserve it

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I beat the first (?) boss of Void Tyrant pretty quickly. Now I've been continuing playing in the void and it seems I broke the game. Used that Energy Strike, lost my 70 energy and got for every 3 one strike... but after all of them are dealt to a Toktik the game simply pauses and does not show the winning animation.

Not sure if I should bother continue playing. Is there something after you beat the boss for the first time? I've still got quite some city upgrades to do.

After you beat Wruut, the game gets harder and the galaxy map gets rearranged. If you haven't unlocked everything yet that's more different stuff to look forward to as well.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot-2019-07-03-16-04-02-177-com-android-vending.png

Screenshot-2019-07-03-16-03-55-556-com-android-vending.png
I'd recommend Golf Peaks. I got it recently, and it feels like a real clever evolution of games like Quell. By combining golf and card-based movement, this game creates this methodical puzzler where figuring how to correctly use your limited moveset is very satisfying. Overall, it's very polished, in both design and aesthetic

Also, In Between is a solid puzzle-platformer with a decent narrative; the controls are serviceable but the puzzles, challenge, and visuals makes it worth playing

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to give a quick recommend for Persephone. Missed it when it first came out and grabbed it while it's on sale.

Has roots in Sokoban games but has some really cool and original ideas in it. Think nearly every level I've played has required a different approach and uses death as a gameplay tool in and of itself.

Beautifully crafted and polished game. A steal for $1.99.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
After you beat Wruut, the game gets harder and the galaxy map gets rearranged. If you haven't unlocked everything yet that's more different stuff to look forward to as well.

I am still battling through the Void after I beat Wruut days ago. It's getting a bit boring, being level 160, I think and having collected 35k Gold... and it barely gets harder. But I don't want to give up either because that sucks haha

Still, curious to see what is to come. I've barely seen anything of the game, I feel. Having unlocked only one race..

Well, I've broken the game. That's what you get for overstaying your welcome in the flux!

Definitely needs a lot of polish in the endgame, but glad that the dev is already working on it.

Last edited:

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
I am still battling through the Void after I beat Wruut days ago. It's getting a bit boring, being level 160, I think and having collected 35k Gold... and it barely gets harder. But I don't want to give up either because that sucks haha

Still, curious to see what is to come. I've barely seen anything of the game, I feel. Having unlocked only one race..

Well, I've broken the game. That's what you get for overstaying your welcome in the flux!

Definitely needs a lot of polish in the endgame, but glad that the dev is already working on it.

Again, the game gets harder if you restart. I'd recommend doing that, as it sounds like you're kind of burning out doing what you're doing.

JLateralus

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an iPad 2 after I saw Swords and Sorcery and played it for a couple of months before I got too busy between having work and a child. I ended up passing it down to my daughter and pretty much never touched it again.

I've been thinking recently I wanted to dip back in on iOS so yesterday I bought a 6th gen iPad ($250 feels like a steal for these!). So, in the last 7-8ish years I expect that the gaming landscape has changed entirely. I'm a bit disappointed that my favorites from that era (the Cave shooters) didn't get updated for 64 bit compatibility, but I'm excited about what else has come out since.

I know that's a huge time period but what a couple of your favorites from the last few years that I might have missed? I like pretty much all genres but am not really a fan of typical free to play / gacha mechanics. I'm also excited about controller support... I don't have anything I could use immediately but have some DS4 and Xbox controllers laying around to use when it becomes available.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an iPad 2 after I saw Swords and Sorcery and played it for a couple of months before I got too busy between having work and a child. I ended up passing it down to my daughter and pretty much never touched it again.

I've been thinking recently I wanted to dip back in on iOS so yesterday I bought a 6th gen iPad ($250 feels like a steal for these!). So, in the last 7-8ish years I expect that the gaming landscape has changed entirely. I'm a bit disappointed that my favorites from that era (the Cave shooters) didn't get updated for 64 bit compatibility, but I'm excited about what else has come out since.

I know that's a huge time period but what a couple of your favorites from the last few years that I might have missed? I like pretty much all genres but am not really a fan of typical free to play / gacha mechanics. I'm also excited about controller support... I don't have anything I could use immediately but have some DS4 and Xbox controllers laying around to use when it becomes available.
For games like swords and sorcery:
-Solitairica
-Void Tyrant
-Card Thief
-Meteorfall

Cave-like shooters:
-Aka to Blue
-Blazing Star
-Super Hydorah

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
For games like swords and sorcery:
-Solitairica
-Void Tyrant
-Card Thief
-Meteorfall

Cave-like shooters:
-Aka to Blue
-Blazing Star
-Super Hydorah
I think you're mixing something up because there's nothing quite like Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery.

nontheless, great recommendations for card based games, I'd throw in Card Crawl as well :)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone here have any recommendations for Android puzzle games that can be played in short bursts and have some sort of RPG-ish progression mechanics? So for example things like Puzzle & Dragons, Clash of Heroes, or even Marvel Puzzle Quest. And ideally something that isn't just Bejeweled style match-3 (since I already know about plenty of those).

Basically looking for something I could play between long loading screens or matchmaking queues, but also during commutes or short breaks. Free, premium or gacha are all fine, but the actual gameplay does need to take at least some skill rather than just being all about stats like most gacha games are. And given the use case, the ability to pause during the game is essential, although I'd imagine most puzzle games would support this.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Cells has been pushed back to August 28th:
apps.apple.com

‎Dead Cells

‎Death is not the end. Play as a failed alchemic experiment and explore the sprawling, ever-changing castle to find out what happened on this gloomy island…! That is, assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers. Dead Cells is a roguevania action platformer that will require you to...