• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got a "you must play this" list of games for Android? Feeling kinda meh and not sure what I want to have a crack at tbh.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
I just went deep on PUBG Mobile with my new iPad, it's amazing to me how full featured this game is, plays really well on touch. Arena of Valor is the same, seems the guys at Tencent know their shit.

I am now eagerly awaiting the MMO's that all seems to be soft launched / in beta (Black Desert, Runescape, Durango, Albion) as the hardware has clearly caught up.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
To people who played both, which is better?

Goblin Sword

Dungeon X Dungeon

?

I need an action game/metroidvania/whatever that plays well on iPhone X.
Last great one I played were Oddmar, Dust:ET and Sword of Xolan.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To people who played both, which is better?

Goblin Sword

Dungeon X Dungeon

?

I need an action game/metroidvania/whatever that plays well on iPhone X.
Last great one I played were Oddmar, Dust:ET and Sword of Xolan.
I have not played Dungeon X Dungeon, but I would not describe Goblin Sword as a conventional Metroidvania. It has some tricky plattforming elements as well, later levels can get quite hard. Furthermore, it is level based not open, so you do not do the classical backtracking and earn no abilities to reach previous areas. There are however two chests in every levels, containing new items (weapons, armor, charms which give you some perks) facilitating some bits. To perfectly complete a level you also need to collect three hidden "gems" (kind of like stars in other games). Boss Fights are mixed in between as separate levels too.

It's a fantastic game, but do not expect something else of it. It has huge amount of content too!

Chances are, you played it already because it is really old, but Swordigo is a great Metroidvania albeit the bit aged look. It is optimized for the X too!

Cally Caves is a popular Metroidvania as well, but the art design put me off playing it very much. It is free to try though. A personal favorite of mine is Nubs' Adventure, but it seems the dev abandoned it, since it was not updated since 2015.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just went deep on PUBG Mobile with my new iPad, it's amazing to me how full featured this game is, plays really well on touch. Arena of Valor is the same, seems the guys at Tencent know their shit.

I am now eagerly awaiting the MMO's that all seems to be soft launched / in beta (Black Desert, Runescape, Durango, Albion) as the hardware has clearly caught up.

Yup it's funny how I've basically become a Tencent gamer out of nowhere. Since I don't have much time to play console or PC anymore my most played games are PUBG mobile and Arena of Valor. They feel like full fledged console/PC games. Lots of depth and polish.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Yup it's funny how I've basically become a Tencent gamer out of nowhere. Since I don't have much time to play console or PC anymore my most played games are PUBG mobile and Arena of Valor. They feel like full fledged console/PC games. Lots of depth and polish.

Same with me, having twins and working full time has killed my ability to play PC / Console games. I have a Switch, but that tends to just be a Mario Kart machine with the wife.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have not played Dungeon X Dungeon, but I would not describe Goblin Sword as a conventional Metroidvania. It has some tricky plattforming elements as well, later levels can get quite hard. Furthermore, it is level based not open, so you do not do the classical backtracking and earn no abilities to reach previous areas. There are however two chests in every levels, containing new items (weapons, armor, charms which give you some perks) facilitating some bits. To perfectly complete a level you also need to collect three hidden "gems" (kind of like stars in other games). Boss Fights are mixed in between as separate levels too.

It's a fantastic game, but do not expect something else of it. It has huge amount of content too!

Chances are, you played it already because it is really old, but Swordigo is a great Metroidvania albeit the bit aged look. It is optimized for the X too!

Cally Caves is a popular Metroidvania as well, but the art design put me off playing it very much. It is free to try though. A personal favorite of mine is Nubs' Adventure, but it seems the dev abandoned it, since it was not updated since 2015.

Thank you very much.
I know it's not a Metroidvania but it will do (it's probably similar to another favorite of mine, Goblin sword).
I grew up playing Rygar so I think I'm set.

'Fantastic game' was all I wanted to hear.

Completed Swordigo long ago....still awesome and still hoping for a sequel/something new from same dev.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same with me, having twins and working full time has killed my ability to play PC / Console games. I have a Switch, but that tends to just be a Mario Kart machine with the wife.

Same boat bro. I have a 19 month old and a 3 month old (almost irish twins i guess lol). I have a Switch but it's basically my Rocket League machine... I'm mainly on mobile nowadays. Bloons TD6 is destroying my time right now.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a "you must play this" list of games for Android? Feeling kinda meh and not sure what I want to have a crack at tbh.
Wayward Souls - A roguelike action fantasy game inspired by the Souls games
Leap Day - A one tap platformer with a procedural level every day
Her Story - A mystery/detective game that is entirely based on an interview of a women.
Card Thief - Stealth-based solitaire card game
Crashlands - Action RPG with a focus on building and crafting elements.
Teeny Titans - Digital figure collecting game based around the Teen Titans GO universe.
Downwell - Action platformer about descending down a well.
Don't Starve - Top down survival game.
Hitman Sniper - Sniping action game based on Hitman franchise.
The Quest - First person dungeon crawler.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Suzy Cube is really good. Closest you'll get to Super Mario World on iOS. Great controls, fun level design and a good amount of content. Steal for $3.99.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
been playing Bit City which had been sitting on my phone for months without being touched. For some reason I'm sucked in and I have my screen brightness turned down and auto-lock turned off so I can idle faster :P

Haven't prestiged yet and am on city 7 and about 185 keys - feels really slow and I have all the earnings upgrades bought from the bank. But I only have the big chunk of land in the middle to fill up so I'm probably 60% done with the level so I almost want to finish the level.

Might take a day or two to finish which isn't logical but hey.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
PC management sim Tropico headed to iPad later this year:
https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/1009375510072307712

Nice, wonder if it will play well at all on my Mini 2.
There definitely needs to be more more great building/management games on mobile.
All the Kingdom Rush games (Pretty much the best tower defense games)
Iron Marines (Kingdom Rush but an RTS)
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (one of my favorite longest supported F2P games I play, even with some cheap difficulty spikes here and there)
Dungeon Warfare (another great tower defense game)
Reigns+Reigns: Her Magisty (haven't beaten either of them, but they're very enjoyable)
Rayman Fiesta Run (tons of content and looks and plays just about as good as the console versions)
Ridiculous Fishing
Flappy Golf/Flappy golf 2/Super Stickman Golf 3 (all really fun golf or golf based games)
The Room series (great 3D Puzzle games kinda like Myst but more streamlined)
10000000 (don't usually like match-three puzzle games, but the progressions and quest system in the game keeps me coming back, I think there's another game called I Must Build a Boat by the same people)

I have a few others on my phone I keep meaning to dive into that I've heard nothing but good things about like the Sorcery! series, Wayward Souls, and Cat Quest, I just haven't found the time for them.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I reconsider if i were you, that bulge... its getting closer to september maybe they show a new model without that thing... if i were you i would definitely wait

My 6S Plus has gotten unbearably slow and supposedly my battery is fine. If I don't get an X now I'd get an 8 Plus, but I can't wait.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, wonder if it will play well at all on my Mini 2.
There definitely needs to be more more great building/management games on mobile.

All the Kingdom Rush games (Pretty much the best tower defense games)
Iron Marines (Kingdom Rush but an RTS)
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (one of my favorite longest supported F2P games I play, even with some cheap difficulty spikes here and there)
Dungeon Warfare (another great tower defense game)
Reigns+Reigns: Her Magisty (haven't beaten either of them, but they're very enjoyable)
Rayman Fiesta Run (tons of content and looks and plays just about as good as the console versions)
Ridiculous Fishing
Flappy Golf/Flappy golf 2/Super Stickman Golf 3 (all really fun golf or golf based games)
The Room series (great 3D Puzzle games kinda like Myst but more streamlined)
10000000 (don't usually like match-three puzzle games, but the progressions and quest system in the game keeps me coming back, I think there's another game called I Must Build a Boat by the same people)

I have a few others on my phone I keep meaning to dive into that I've heard nothing but good things about like the Sorcery! series, Wayward Souls, and Cat Quest, I just haven't found the time for them.

Cheers!

I actually got the Kingdom Rush game on a free I think because I haven't touched it! I will give it a go :)

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
My 6S Plus has gotten unbearably slow and supposedly my battery is fine. If I don't get an X now I'd get an 8 Plus, but I can't wait.
I have a 6S+ and over the past month or so it's been terrible. I wouldn't say slowness was the issue, but apps crashing left and right. I don't know what changed, and I'm trying to keep my conspiracy hat off... Though I'm also trying my darnedest to hold off until September to see the new iPhones. Only a few months... right?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 6S+ and over the past month or so it's been terrible. I wouldn't say slowness was the issue, but apps crashing left and right. I don't know what changed, and I'm trying to keep my conspiracy hat off... Though I'm also trying my darnedest to hold off until September to see the new iPhones. Only a few months... right?

I have crashing too but the phone is unbelievably slow even with that battery performance switch. It literally took me 5 minutes to change the time on my alarm this morning.

I don't care so much about having the latest and greatest. And Target is running a deal where you get a free $200 gift card right now with either an iPhone 8 or X.

Also will be using a case so that camera bulge will not be an issue.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands

The battery health feature on Settings look nice but can be trusted at all. I looked at that at an older iPhone and it showed a 99% battery health and the phone dies within 3 hours of use... I wouldnt trust that feature at least until is out of beta

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to wonder if I should just get an iPhone 8 Plus instead of an X. Any thoughts from a gaming perspective? Are there still a ton of games that haven't been updated to support the full X screen? And how awkward is it playing those games?

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Starting to wonder if I should just get an iPhone 8 Plus instead of an X. Any thoughts from a gaming perspective? Are there still a ton of games that haven't been updated to support the full X screen? And how awkward is it playing those games?

For what is worth the iPhone X is the best iPhone I ever owned, followed by the 4S.
I always had 'normal' iPhones tough, never a plus (last year I was torn between the 8 plus and the X, super happy about the X, I'll consider a X plus in the future depending on dimensions).

To be honest the notch has always been a non issue to me, especially 2-3 days after I bought it.

As for games it depends.
My personal favorites are all X optimized but Race for the Galaxy, and new releases HAVE to support the X since a month or so (updates too if I'm not wrong).
So unless it's something really old...
You are coming from a plus I understand...that could be the real issue...for me everything was just bigger in the same form factor.

I suggest (not a big help I know) you go to an Apple store and play with it launching some apps you frequently use (safari, socials, some games).

The features I love most are Face ID and the gestures.
I'm really missing them in my aging iPad Air and even now I forget they are not there. I'm so used to them.
It's crazy fast of course too.

On portrait you really appreciate the extra estate and on landscape the 'elongated' form helps keeping the iPhone in your hands like a controller, especially in orizzontal games like platformers, runners and such.
Pretty sure you will notice it's smaller in landscape tough (even if res is higher).

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
The + models have god tier battery life (I have the 7+) and the X is similar to the 8 on battery I am told, so that's one factor to consider.

I can't go back now, unless the next iPhones have similar battery life to the plus models.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Just completed Feist on iPhone X.
Really enjoyed it, very athmosferic and super frantic.
Some crazy hard parts too, Lost Socks level hard.

The Limbo comparison is misleading tough.
It's not a puzzle game, it's mostly a frantic fighting game, heavy on physic.

According to battery usage, took me a little over 6 hours.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Evoland 2 on mobile is finally out, for me ay least. And I just spent 30 euros this week for older titles and a couple of IAPs for this one idle clicker I really wanted to spend money on. Next week looks like another doozy to my wallet, but its worth it.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
For what is worth the iPhone X is the best iPhone I ever owned, followed by the 4S.
I always had 'normal' iPhones tough, never a plus (last year I was torn between the 8 plus and the X, super happy about the X, I'll consider a X plus in the future depending on dimensions).

To be honest the notch has always been a non issue to me, especially 2-3 days after I bought it.

As for games it depends.
My personal favorites are all X optimized but Race for the Galaxy, and new releases HAVE to support the X since a month or so (updates too if I'm not wrong).
So unless it's something really old...
You are coming from a plus I understand...that could be the real issue...for me everything was just bigger in the same form factor.

I suggest (not a big help I know) you go to an Apple store and play with it launching some apps you frequently use (safari, socials, some games).

The features I love most are Face ID and the gestures.
I'm really missing them in my aging iPad Air and even now I forget they are not there. I'm so used to them.
It's crazy fast of course too.

On portrait you really appreciate the extra estate and on landscape the 'elongated' form helps keeping the iPhone in your hands like a controller, especially in orizzontal games like platformers, runners and such.
Pretty sure you will notice it's smaller in landscape tough (even if res is higher).

The + models have god tier battery life (I have the 7+) and the X is similar to the 8 on battery I am told, so that's one factor to consider.

I can't go back now, unless the next iPhones have similar battery life to the plus models.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot.

Didn't realize it's technically smaller landscape on the screen. Just kept thinking about the screen being "bigger" despite the smaller phone size than the Plus. I'll have to check it out in person at a store.

The X sound good from your feedback though.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Thanks guys! That helps a lot.

Didn't realize it's technically smaller landscape on the screen. Just kept thinking about the screen being "bigger" despite the smaller phone size than the Plus. I'll have to check it out in person at a store.

The X sound good from your feedback though.

What are two months anyway compared to having to look this for years. Two months go by flying i tell you

1*y4efsBVytWsNzNOsphR-Bg.png

awp69

Oct 25, 2017

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Rumor has it that all of the new models will have that notch.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3282304/apple-phone/apple-lcd-2018-iphone.html

In fact, Android phones are now using the notch as well. I don't think it's going anywhere.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-phones-apple-iphone-x-notch-2018-5

I also think that's highly likely, the notch will be here at least until the next major iteration next year. Even then, it might stay there until they find a proper way to add a front camera (I doubt Apple would release a phone with one that pops out like Android ones) or built in fingerprint sensor.