• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Download from PC Gaming Wiki

Control_DX12_AQFd0vjSW9.png.cd9c62b97a7a793906a44815e6ecaad1.png

Compared to the latest official release version (0.0.344.1879), these are the improvements:
  • Native HDR (improves color accuracy/banding, allows greater contrast and brighter highlights).
  • Upgraded DLSS to 3.1.1 and improve its implementation (which makes it compatible with FSR 2.1 injection).
  • Added DLAA support (DLSS at native resolution).
  • Added a new "Max" texture setting to improve the slow texture streaming (min 8GB+ VRAM, 10GB+ are recommended).
  • Added a new setting to use 3x as samples for ray tracing and volumetrics, increasing the quality and reducing noise (this is VERY expensive).
  • Full UltraWide support: unlock any resolution and aspect ratio, including 32:9+.
  • Fixed UI issues at non 16:9 aspect ratios (e.g. enemies health bars were displaced).
  • Added a FOV Multiplier config setting `m_fFOVMultiplier` (the game and UI are designed for the default FOV, so only use for accessibility reasons).
  • Add a config to skip the intro video `m_bSkipIntroVideos`.
  • Some FOV and LOD fixes for UW.
  • Improved window+borderless+fullscreen management.
  • Fixed the game not launching correctly on non Nvidia non AMD GPUs (e.g. Intel Arc).
  • Minor crash fixes, bug fixes and features.
Installation

1. Download your version of the patch (Steam, Epic Store, No DRM/GOG).
  2. Copy (with replace) all the files inside the Control install folder.
  3. Open the DX12 version of the game.
  4. You can turn on HDR either from Windows or from the game (on by default).
  5. The game will read the Windows 11 HDR calibration profile (app) and match its tonemapping to your screen capabilities.
  6. Using HGiG is suggested if your TV supports it (monitors usually default to HGiG).
  7. In the game settings, there are multiple HDR settings to tailor the image to your liking, though know that the HDR is already pre-calibrated to roughly match the SDR brightness.

How does this compare to AutoHDR: AutoHDR is just a post process so it doesn't add any detail. Specifically in Control it makes bright lights and the UI too bright.

How does this compare to SpecialK HDR: SpecialK can increase the rendering buffers depth, this increasing the amount of color shades the game can output (less banding), but it can't extract any brightness to what the SDR tonemapper clamped the game to, so it's mostly still a pumped up SDR image.

See PCGW post for even more details. Please post any issues you encounter here, or post on the PCGW itself.

If anyone on GOG is trying to use this:
- Go to Documents/My Games/Control/Saves and copy anything labeled savegame-slot-00_***. No, they're not in the savegame-slot-00 folder for whatever reason (at least for me).
- Go to AppData/Local/Remedy/Control/Default-Generic-User/savegame-slot-00/ and paste them there.
- Rename them to ***.chunk. For example, savegame-slot-00_meta becomes meta.chunk
- Voila

AMD users: Mod also works with unofficial FSR 2.1 implementation. Set AutoExposure=true, and HDR=true in the "nvngx.ini". (this is only necessary for SDR). Credit to Lilium from SpecialK discord for testing this and figuring out the right settings.

Edit: Filoppi doesn't want to advertise where he works, so we probably shouldn't discuss this further. If someone is really curious about the details, they can PM me.

Last edited:

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It is fantastic work!

And to be specific, this is an actual employee from Remedy who worked on this in his free time. It really is native.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
wow, this is an amazing addition to the game!! guess i'll finally do that second playthrough i've been putting off, thanks for posting OP!

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
holy crap, everything about this reads amazing, have to reinstall it asap

looking at the comparison screenshots, this:
  • The HDR implementation skips the Reinhard tonemapper the game used in SDR. In my opinion it made the image look overly flat, which was a choice dictated by the limitations of SDR. Removing it allows to take full advantage of HDR, by outputting an image with a much greater level of contrast, and without disadvantages to visibility.

is also giving this game a massive boost in visuals, it looses the grey, hazy look

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
CC Dictator

Now we need to find Ubisoft employee who is willing to mod Assassin's Creed Unity and improve draw distance and LoDs XD

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Thanks for sharing, had the game installed but never got round to playing it, looks like now's the perfect time.

Important
OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Filoppi doesn't want to advertise where he works, so we probably shouldn't discuss this further. If someone is really curious about the details, they can PM me. Remedy sure have their reasons.

Last edited:

Cobbles

Jan 19, 2023
cool, I still have Control installed. The DLSS 2.5.1 implementation and improved texture streaming sound best part

ManuZero

Jul 14, 2020
I wanted to replay Control since I got my first oled screen last year, but I kept thinking how much this game could benefit from a proper HDR implementation and high contrast. The whole art style is just made for it.
SDR felt kind of flat and black levels were broken for me with Auto HDR. I'm very excited to try this out!

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still early on in my initial playthrough. Windows Auto-HDR isn't great, and despite high raytracing settings some areas or aspects of the visual presentation are lacking.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
A remedy employee did this and it's not an official patch? So strange.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Right when I was about to reinstall the game and play it on a CRT. Perfect timing. Much love Filoppi.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Also I think I remember hearing that a studio has to pay money to the platform holder to issue a patch?

(This sounds wild but I feel like I remember it being talked about YEARS ago on Giant Bomb)

With how big patches are getting and they have to be hosted on the platform servers, so bandwidth plus security costs have to be paid somehow

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
This is perfect timing. I just recently installed Control to play it soon. This mod goes perfectly with my UW HDR monitor.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
filoppi ❤️

Looks really good and all options are there to configure it 🎉

Last edited:

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Yeah this HDR support is incredible. The game has the perfect aesthetic for it and the dev knocked it out of the park. Bonus points for including that black level slider that lets you fine tune the "cinematic black levels" without destroying the rest of the tonemapping. Incredible stuff.

DLSS implementation is much better, might even be the best example of DLSS out there now.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mod have any benefit for people not displaying on an HDR screen?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Absolutely incredible, definitely will be using this when I finally get to the game :D Wonderful work, the max texture streaming setting also appreciated as I remember that being an issue with the game.

Is this the first time a game has had native HDR modded in?

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I still have some DLC to wrap up so I'll definitely check this out. It was criminal that Control never got an official HDR implementation.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If only they could fix the awful denoiser that makes every metallic surface look like it's TV from the 90s that lost signal.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
how does it compare to Specialk HDR and Windows Auto HDR I wonder

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Finally getting around to the DLC and so far the areas in the Foundation look great. Mod seems excellent.

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is super impressive! I always felt that the art direction of Control completely benefited from true HDR and it was such a bummer to find out that it never was natively implemented in a patch. It looks great!

Just trying it out though, I have Control Ultimate Edition on Steam, and when I tried to continue my previous game, (Confirmed with all DLC installed), I received the message, "The saved game contains downloadable content not currently available in this session. Please install 'Foundation' and try again or start a new game without the missing content."

Anyone else get this? I never progressed very far anyway so I just created a New Game just to see the HDR implementation anyway, but I'm wondering if this will be an issue if I continue onward.