• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Oh sick. I've had this on my backlog for ages. Good to hear about 32:9 support

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Just trying it out though, I have Control Ultimate Edition on Steam, and when I tried to continue my previous game, (Confirmed with all DLC installed), I received the message, "The saved game contains downloadable content not currently available in this session. Please install 'Foundation' and try again or start a new game without the missing content."
Odd. I loaded up my endgame save and was able to start Foundation DLC just fine. I also have Ultimate Edition on Steam. Anyway, it seems like you are not the first person to report it, Filoppi is looking into it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The texture loading was definitely a problem, specially the wall photographs, which is you enabled DLSS, the texture it loaded was the lowest resolution one. Does this fix that or just the slow loading?

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I going to actually start a new playthrough this weekend? Why yes, yes I am. Hope this mod doesn't cause any major issues during my playthrough though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this was the same person who did the Quantum Break PC port - I vaguely recall that being a labour of love for an unknown individual - that also introduced some kind of HDR (unless I'm misremembering)

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
This is great to see, but I actually really liked the grey look. It felt like a deliberate aesthetic choice. For lore reasons all the technology has to be old, so the grey colour space looked like old photography technology. It really fit the mood and story.

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this was the same person who did the Quantum Break PC port - I vaguely recall that being a labour of love for an unknown individual - that also introduced some kind of HDR (unless I'm misremembering)
No, from what I understand, he joined the team after Control was released.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Leave them as is. The creator already set the best looking settings. As long as you've got the calibration app done correctly, it will look perfect. I just boosted my ui brightness, I like shiny ui.
I messed with them and forgot what they were set to lol. Ill just put fresh HDR files in the directory again.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't tricky, just set up your tv/monitor using the official windows HDR calibration app: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR?hl=en-us&gl=us&rtc=1

Then use HGIG or the equivalent on your dispaly, and adjust the UI brightness to taste.

I've done that. Looks like I'm good to go then and we don't have to mess around with sliders much. Love it. All I did was change the ui brightness yesterday. If only all games could be this easy to set up.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The real megaton is the fucking TEXTURE LOADING

Never imagined it would be fixed, that's incredible news. And of course, latest DLSS is a great bonus.

ManuZero

Jul 14, 2020
It works really well, but highly elevated black levels in many dark areas are artistic intent, right? Seems like it's baked in to those areas in the game. Not even maxing out the shadow slider fixes it completely. Very noticeable on an oled screen.

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Odd. I loaded up my endgame save and was able to start Foundation DLC just fine. I also have Ultimate Edition on Steam. Anyway, it seems like you are not the first person to report it, Filoppi is looking into it.

Not sure if this makes any difference, but the Steam version of Control I have was the Humble Bundle Choice version of Ultimate edition that ran into DLC issues a little while ago. Back then it also ran into DLC weirdness due to the way it was released.

May sound like a niche use case but could this be the issue?

PSA: Control Ultimate Humble Choice DLC issue

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this makes any difference, but the Steam version of Control I have was the Humble Bundle Choice version of Ultimate edition that ran into DLC issues a little while ago. Back then it also ran into DLC weirdness due to the way it was released.

May sound like a niche use case but could this be the issue?

PSA: Control Ultimate Humble Choice DLC issue
Yeah, it's this. Essentially, 505 brought standard version (without DLCs) of Control to steam only to be sold in HBC and after that was delisted. You might try using EGS version of the mod, it might reset your progres though.

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, it's this. Essentially, 505 brought standard version (without DLCs) of Control to steam only to be sold in HBC and after that was delisted. You might try using EGS version of the mod, it might reset your progres though.

Thanks for the update, I guess you get what you pay for!

That said, I did eventually purchase the DLCs separately afterwards (from Humble) to try to get all content before delisting and they were installed when using the mod.

I'm not worried about losing progress, but will starting new game include access to the DLC content (whenever I eventually get there)?

I'll give your EGS route a try if it sounds like the answer is no.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
I don't know what's happening but this is really a mixed bag for me. The updated DLSS works just fine but it switched save locations (I'm playing the Ultimate Edition through GOG) and copying my save over to the new folder put me back pretty close to the start, whereas my actual save is somewhere in the Foundation DLC. Also the Max texture streaming does... nothing. It's even worse than High since opening the pause menu and closing it doesn't even bother to try and load the textures. Sigh

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Finally got to the Alan Wake DLC and just realized that the little FMV visions that you see are only a small portion of the actual video, as they're like minute long tapes that you can actually watch in the collectibles. Gonna have to make sure to check them out everytime now.

Gotta make sure to get all that Alan Wake goodness.

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what's happening but this is really a mixed bag for me. The updated DLSS works just fine but it switched save locations (I'm playing the Ultimate Edition through GOG) and copying my save over to the new folder put me back pretty close to the start, whereas my actual save is somewhere in the Foundation DLC.
Can you choose missions from the menu? If yes, then "Endgame" will put you at the start of Foundation DLC.
Also the Max texture streaming does... nothing. It's even worse than High since opening the pause menu and closing it doesn't even bother to try and load the textures. Sigh
Are you sure you are not VRAM starved? Max setting works for me, but I have 12 GB of VRAM and run the game from NVME SSD. BTW, Max textures make texture streaming more aggressive, but does not eliminate the issue completely.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Can you choose missions from the menu? If yes, then "Endgame" will put you at the start of Foundation DLC.
I haven't checked. I'll try but would that usually get rid of all my upgrades? Like my gun has nothing.

Are you sure you are not VRAM starved? Max setting works for me, but I have 12 GB of VRAM and run the game from NVME SSD. BTW, Max textures make texture streaming more aggressive, but does not eliminate the issue completely.
That might be it? I am on a laptop 3060 with only 6GB of VRAM but the previous fix of increasing the texture pool worked so idk. Maybe this one is more aggressive. I'll have to take a look at Task Manager and see if it's at its limit

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked. I'll try but would that usually get rid of all my upgrades? Like my gun has nothing.
Endgame will put you after "last mission", so any updates you had at this point should be there. If it is's not in the mission's menu that the game doesn't read save file correctly (if at all).
That might be it? I am on a laptop 3060 with only 6GB of VRAM but the previous fix of increasing the texture pool worked so idk. Maybe this one is more aggressive. I'll have to take a look at Task Manager and see if it's at its limit
Weird, AFAIK it's the same fix. You can use MSI Afterburner and RTSS to monitor those things in real time, Geforce experience also have an overlay with this information, not sure about AMD.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, time to finally play through AWE.

I assume this works with the DLCs as well?

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Worth it for the updated DLSS alone. Time to go back and finish up those last handful of achievements.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Endgame will put you after "last mission", so any updates you had at this point should be there. If it is's not in the mission's menu that the game doesn't read save file correctly (if at all).
l5wFiK.jpg

Like that's all that's in Mission Select, even though I've completed the base game.
Weird, AFAIK it's the same fix. You can use MSI Afterburner and RTSS to monitor those things in real time, Geforce experience also have an overlay with this information, not sure about AMD.
So I took a look at the Xbox Game Bar's monitor and saw that in most situations, it would be around ~4.8GB of VRAM used with textures looking like this:
fQh3dZ.jpg

But now after opening and closing the pause menu, textures would load and VRAM usage would jump to ~6 GB. Moving a bit to an area where textures aren't fully loaded would drop VRAM usage again, then pausing would make them load again. Basically what already happens in the stock game. I don't remember the previous fix having the issue either

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Like that's all that's in Mission Select, even though I've completed the base game.
Ok, so the mod uses generic save file location for non-DRM versions (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Remedy\Control\Default-Generic-User\) instead of GOG directory (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Control). You can try coping saves from GOG directory to generic one and renaming them, at least one person on PCGW claimed that it worked for them. Neither me nor Filoppi have GOG version of the game, so there isn't much more we can do. I think Darktalon also had this issue, did you manage to figure it out?
But now after opening and closing the pause menu, textures would load and VRAM usage would jump to ~6 GB. Moving a bit to an area where textures aren't fully loaded would drop VRAM usage again, then pausing would make them load again. Basically what already happens in the stock game. I don't remember the previous fix having the issue either
You can still use old fix with this mod. Filoppi said he changed some values because the other fix is "more aggressive, and by reading the code, it seemed like the values were on the edge of safety and might have had downsides (or even crashes)" He also says he advises having at least 8gb of VRAM for Max textures.

Fix for GOG save games

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Ok, so the mod uses generic save file location for non-DRM versions (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Remedy\Control\Default-Generic-User\) instead of GOG directory (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Control). You can try coping saves from GOG directory to generic one and renaming them, at least one person on PCGW claimed that it worked for them. Neither me nor Filoppi have GOG version of the game, so there isn't much more we can do. I think Darktalon also had this issue, did you manage to figure it out?
Got my save working (although I lost all the outfits I got through the hex editor, and none of the values in the PCGW tutorial are there anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )!
If anyone on GOG is trying to use this:
- Go to Documents/My Games/Control/Saves and copy anything labeled savegame-slot-00_***. No, they're not in the savegame-slot-00 folder for whatever reason (at least for me).
- Go to AppData/Local/Remedy/Control/Default-Generic-User/savegame-slot-00/ and paste them there.
- Rename them to ***.chunk. For example, savegame-slot-00_meta becomes meta.chunk
- Voila

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Got my save working (although I lost all the outfits I got through the hex editor, and none of the values in the PCGW tutorial are there anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )!
If anyone on GOG is trying to use this:
- Go to Documents/My Games/Control/Saves and copy anything labeled savegame-slot-00_***. No, they're not in the savegame-slot-00 folder for whatever reason (at least for me).
- Go to AppData/Local/Remedy/Control/Default-Generic-User/savegame-slot-00/ and paste them there.
- Rename them to ***.chunk. For example, savegame-slot-00_meta becomes meta.chunk
- Voila
Thanks for posting that, I will put this guide it in the OP.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the mod out with the GOG version. Really impressive.

Does anyone know how to set the game to only use a certain display?

Only my second display (a TV) is HDR compatible, but the game keeps trying to use my default (non-HDR) monitor, and there doesn't seem to be a monitor select setting in the game settings. I can press Win+Shift+Left Arrow to make the game use the monitor when running, but it doesn't remember the setting once I quit.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I definitely want to ask why this game needed 3rd party patchers to support superultrawide res when the engine was totally capable of it. Glad that they took the time to mod it, though this honestly should become an official patch.

Version 1.1

filoppi

Feb 2, 2023
Patch 1.1 has been released. It fixes the issue HDR had on some AMD cards, adds DLAA support directly from the UI, improves the HDR menus, exposes an ultra high quality ray tracing setting, adds a FOV multiplier, a way of skipping intro videos and much more.

filoppi

Feb 2, 2023
Tried the mod out with the GOG version. Really impressive.

Does anyone know how to set the game to only use a certain display?

Only my second display (a TV) is HDR compatible, but the game keeps trying to use my default (non-HDR) monitor, and there doesn't seem to be a monitor select setting in the game settings. I can press Win+Shift+Left Arrow to make the game use the monitor when running, but it doesn't remember the setting once I quit.
Move the window of the game to the second monitor, it should pick it up and then work correctly. Let me know if it doesn't.
The HDR checks are per monitor, and from my testing it worked all fine.