Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Frontier's current flagship for comparison. I can't tell if I hate it more or less.
latest

Is that bacon on his back?

Looks tasty

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
a MHW port on Switch would be disappointing because of how much they'd need to cut to make it work.
My hope would be a brand new game for Switch taking some of the QOL features from World with maybe a more colorful artstyle ? Maybe even something closer to MH Stories ?
I wouldn't expect the maps to be like World with no loading but perhaps bigger and fewer sections could be a good middle ground (so instead of a map fragmented in seven small sections, it could be three big ones).

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think this is a good idea of how World would look on the Switch's portable mode.

Except at a locked 30 fps.
It's been said multiple times by multiple people and no, that's not how it would look.
It's MT Framework, and with settings for worse than Switch hardware, at the worst resolution possible.

Come on now. Why are we even back on this topic?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's been said multiple times by multiple people and no, that's not how it would look.
It's MT Framework, and with settings for worse than Switch hardware, at the worst resolution possible.

Come on now. Why are we even back on this topic?
I was joking, I don't think Switch can run World at all and only delusional peeps who feel left out want it.

A brand new game made with the Switch in mind would be much better.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is a good idea of how World would look on the Switch's portable mode.

Except at a locked 30 fps.
To get an idea of what a World port would look like on Switch undocked just check GPDWin2 footage. It runs it 504p and ranging 25-45fps. Switch undocked would likely end up 540p and closer to 30fps.

Last edited:

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hope the next MH for Switch is by the big team. I dont want a 3DS styled MH again. Let them make a big MH that uses Switch power

I disagree. MH World on Switch would be great. Most disappointing outcome would be another 3DS styled game.
I don't really have a preference on if it's more traditional or more like world, I just want something new. If it's just a port I'm not gonna buy it on a 3rd platform, and esp not since it would be so cut down.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't really have a preference on if it's more traditional or more like world, I just want something new. If it's just a port I'm not gonna buy it on a 3rd platform, and esp not since it would be so cut down.

About where I am.

Also, because it's Ichinose heading up development, and he's made some of my favorite games in the series, I most want to see what a "5th Gen" game under his direction will be like.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World can't be ported to Switch in the same way that Tri couldn't be ported to PSP.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I mean, what would be the point of World not being 5, other than some dumb gatekeeping from some fans that "true" Monster Hunter should be on Nintendo?
It's also very clearly the fifth generation. All proceeding games will be using the framework, and skeletons for the monsters. Until the next shift into the sixth gen.

MHW is MH5 in everything but direct name.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get why someone should want mhw to be ported to switch..
A new game would definitely be better

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Wait and see. MHW on Switch doesn't sound appealing to me. Also, I'm not so sure MHW could run well on the Switch at all.

Now, I would be interested to see a new MH game (whatever it is called) on Switch, with all of the QoL improvements added in World.

Also quite curious to see what Iceborne has in store for us (except the Nargacuga).

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get an 5th installment with all the QoL fixes in MHW. Very much would prefer that over a port of MHW in the switch.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the tease we got I wouldn't really expect a port. It sounds like whatever it is will be a new game.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I mean, what would be the point of World not being 5, other than some dumb gatekeeping from some fans that "true" Monster Hunter should be on Nintendo?
You are looking at this from your perspective. (and with anger too?)

But if you look from a publisher's perspective (Capcom in this case), there's a lot of weight to numbered games.

We know for a fact that MHW is MH5 because Capcom said so. End of story. But maybe that won't stop them from making a game actually titled "Monster Hunter 5", simply because it would be an easy sell.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I would be interested in MHW on Switch either. I rather liked MHGenerations Ultimate. Would rather like to see base on improving that game which was built around portable limitations being a separate experience. For all the complaints about loading screens, I abuse the heck out of them for recovery

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You are looking at this from your perspective. (and with anger too?)

But if you look from a publisher's perspective (Capcom in this case), there's a lot of weight to numbered games.

We know for a fact that MHW is MH5 because Capcom said so. End of story. But maybe that won't stop them from making a game actually titled "Monster Hunter 5", simply because it would be an easy sell.

It makes a lot of sense now to bring back the "Portable" name and call it Portable 5th to denote that it is a separate game but in the 5th generation of MH.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It makes a lot of sense now to bring back the "Portable" name and call it Portable 5th to denote that it is a separate game but in the 5th generation of MH.
Perhaps, but the Switch is a hybrid console, not a pure handheld, so having a handheld-centric subtitle would be weird. Capcom will probably come up with a new subtitle. I think "Monster Hunter Legends" or "Monster Hunter Legacy" has a nice ring to it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited for a potential Switch-exclusive MH. I would think and actually hope it's almost a continuation of the classic formula. Just one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things for me. Obviously they can add some QoL improvements from MHW and some nifty things from Generations, but still. I actually like the segmented maps, and I don't need voice-acting which IIRC was added in MHW.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
"Portable" would only be used in Japan. And even there, they switched to "G" and "XX". It's going to be a new title entirely and will likely be the same WW.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I'm so excited for a potential Switch-exclusive MH. I would think and actually hope it's almost a continuation of the classic formula. Just one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things for me. Obviously they can add some QoL improvements from MHW and some nifty things from Generations, but still. I actually like the segmented maps, and I don't need voice-acting which IIRC was added in MHW.
They can ditch the loading screens in my opinion. I always hated when a monster was at the edge of a zone and you had to be careful not to get hit into the next zone or move into it.

Oct 26, 2017
"Portable" would only be used in Japan. And even there, they switched to "G" and "XX". It's going to be a new title entirely and will likely be the same WW.

Monster Hunter Freedom 5th baby!

They can ditch the loading screens in my opinion. I always hated when a monster was at the edge of a zone and you had to be careful not to get hit into the next zone or move into it.

It never really bothered me. They can also use segmented areas to help with the visuals I'd think, not worrying about rendering a giant world at once.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Monster Hunter Freedom 5th baby!

It never really bothered me. They can also use segmented areas to help with the visuals I'd think, not worrying about rendering a giant world at once.
I actually like the Freedom name, but would that work for Japan, too?

Maybe it depends on the weapon you use. As a long sword main, you always move slightly forward with each XXA cycle and fighting a Zinogre right at the edge always took me out of the experience.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If the Switch MonHun has the long loading screens of MHW because it tries to load the entire level at once, I hope they make a loading screen minigame. Taking out my Switch during loading screens obviously won't work as a short diversion.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like the Freedom name, but would that work for Japan, too?

Maybe it depends on the weapon you use. As a long sword main, you always move slightly forward with each XXA cycle and fighting a Zinogre right at the edge always took me out of the experience.

Nah, it'd be like the PSP games:

JP: Monster Hunter Portable 5th
West: Monster Hunter Freedom 5

Forgot they don't use "th" in the west. :P

Oct 26, 2017
But I don't think there was even a Freedom 3 or 4, right? Also I feel like calling it "portable" in Japan gives it a lesser feeling.

There wasn't a Portable 4th either. :P

Still, it might tug on some nostalgia strings, and frankly would be the only actual thing remotely called Monster Hunter 5. They may not want to call the Switch game Monster Hunter 5 because it would more or less throw World under a bus.

They could call it Monster Hunter World Portable/Freedom, but I doubt it unless it's that close to World.

Portable 5th/Freedom 5 would be coolest IMO.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Still, it might tug on some nostalgia strings, and frankly would be the only actual thing remotely called Monster Hunter 5. They may not want to call the Switch game Monster Hunter 5 because it would more or less throw World under a bus.

They could call it Monster Hunter World Portable/Freedom, but I doubt it unless it's that close to World.

"But why the need to pull the nostalgia strings at all", is the better question. If Monster Hunter World proved nothing else, it's that you don't need a MH game to have a number attached to its title to get people to stand up and pay attention to it. I'd see no reason for Ichinose's game to be any different, in that respect.

All the more reason I've been more in the hole for "Monster Hunter NEXT" as a prospective title. If need be, you can play up the "X" in NEXT to indicate it's a follow-up to the X/XX games, and also call it "Next Generation" in the West to achieve a similar effect.

But otherwise...numbers, legacy titles? It's all stuff that can remain in the past, in my opinion. Just like a number of other old MH conventions that the 5th gen has seen fit to jettison.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017

I mean how do you explain "cross" or "generations" then? Or even World? It's clear they wanted to break away from the past names and present it as a new step forward for the series. I think the subtitle will be original and not try to evoke any previous names. Certainly not "portable".

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
If hope that if they are going to keep two streams going, that one of them continues to use the old armour/skill system. As I preferred it to the system used in World.