DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They can continue MHW on other platforms, I want classic on Switch.

Classic is dead (which is a weird thing to say since MHW is pretty damn close to "classic" in mechanics and gameplay)

MHW IS 5th generation

ANy switch game is going to be building off the same exact framework and philosophy

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Tbf all of there stuff coming out was in development before became a power House. It wouldn't shock me if they start investing anymore
I think getting global release for MHGU, Dragons Dogma, RE ports, and Ace Attorney collections are a good start

And they literally said they had more in the works

I remain optimistic that everyone is getting served something good from Capcom either this year or next
I hope you guys are right, Capcom's on great track right now and I hope they extend that on Switch as well.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Not getting my hopes up about a MH Switch episode yet since MHW has a DLC coming but hey, I'll take it if it comes. If it turned out to be true, I'm not exepecting much apart from a trailer to announce it's being worked on.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Switch should get MHW and it's DLC when it launches. Also throw in some crossplay also.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Switch should get MHW and it's DLC when it launches. Also throw in some crossplay also.

That would be ideal and I remain unconvinced that it cant be ported in some fashion

It may need a different look and lose a few things but wasn't there a porting studio that told Capcom it was doable (or at least offered to do it?)

We may not know but yeah a 5th gen MH game for Switch in the same year as Iceborne??? Hard to see that unless its all under one umbrella.

Who knows but Im excited to see what they have lined up regardless

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Have they ever announced a completely new game at this event before?
As said earlier in the thread, only stuff announced so far in this 15th anniversary event is:
- lots of merch
- Iceborne footage coming at some point
- new timed demo (not announced yet, found that in the website's files)
The wording seems to imply there'll be more game content though, not just World. Could be anything though, be it mobile or a HD port of Stories.
Classic is dead (which is a weird thing to say since MHW is pretty damn close to "classic" in mechanics and gameplay)

MHW IS 5th generation

ANy switch game is going to be building off the same exact framework and philosophy
For sure.
But I don't think that means it's not possible to make a 5th gen game still using the classic loading system. 5th gen improved on other aspects (and let's be honest, the "open world" isn't really an improvement in terms of LD).

edit: whatever happens, there won't be a switch game this year anyway. It'd be 2020, but it doesn't mean it can't be announced here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
As said earlier in the thread, only stuff announced so far in this 15th anniversary event is:
- lots of merch
- Iceborne footage coming at some point
- new timed demo (not announced yet, found that in the website's files)
The wording seems to imply there'll be more game content though, not just World. Could be anything though, be it mobile or a HD port of Stories.

For sure.
But I don't think that means it's not possible to make a 5th gen game still using the classic loading system. 5th gen improved on other aspects (and let's be honest, the "open world" isn't really an improvement in terms of LD).

I do not want to see the loading system back

Disagree entirely. The sprawling maps and all the level of detail, exploration, fast travel, ecology was a highlight and one of my favorite evolutions to the immersion factor of the series

Now I get that your saying this would be a tall order for switch but Im not so sure thats true just yet

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I do not want to see the loading system back

Disagree entirely. The sprawling maps and all the level of detail, exploration, fast travel, ecology was a highlight and one of my favorite evolutions to the immersion factor of the series

Now I get that your saying this would be a tall order for switch but Im not so sure thats true just yet
I'm not saying it'd be a tall order, just that when people say "I want classic MH", they usually say that and how the multiplayer worked.
Not "I want old school gathering" or similar.

World has some pretty awful level design in general, so hopefully they fix that in Iceborne and whatever is next if they really want to stay on that.
Level of detail/ecology/fast travel/etc has nothing to do with open world design though as you can do that with the old system as long as you give the power for that.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Main reason I don't like world are the mechanics for the combat. Just the way it controls, the sluggish movement, the lack of polish in comparison to the classic games in hitting something. I really cannot overlook this aspect personally, it's absolutely a dealbreaker for me. I don't care if they add tons of quality of life features but if the gameplay itself has a noticable inferior aspect then I can't really get into it.

They need to improve their combat engine.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it'd be a tall order, just that when people say "I want classic MH", they usually say that and how the multiplayer worked.
Not "I want old school gathering" or similar.

World has some pretty awful level design in general, so hopefully they fix that in Iceborne and whatever is next if they really want to stay on that.
Level of detail/ecology/fast travel/etc has nothing to do with open world design though as you can do that with the old system as long as you give the power for that.

Disagree

Thought the level design was incredible

What about it bothered you? I remember people complaining about Ancient forest But I never struggled in any of the maps and thought they were a joy to traverse and explore

I suppose certain areas made combat difficult? But Thats always been a thing in every MH game and part of the combat strategy and planning

Main reason I don't like world are the mechanics for the combat. Just the way it controls, the sluggish movement, the lack of polish in comparison to the classic games in hitting something. I really cannot overlook this aspect personally, it's absolutely a dealbreaker for me. I don't care if they add tons of quality of life features but if the gameplay itself has a noticable inferior aspect then I can't really get into it.

What? It seems literally that same if not better than what came before and one of the games highlights

The amount of moves, animations, and evolutions to what is essentially the same combat formula they have used for over a decade is top notch

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World is the old system when it comes to the world stuff there just aren't any loading screens. Like I wouldn't consider it to be open world more a seedless world

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

You're gonna have to explain this to me.

Because it just feels like Monster Hunter combat.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Is there a comparison video regarding sluggish movement from MHW and the older MH games? From what i can tell, there little to no difference in the movement.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Disagree

Thought the level design was incredible

What about it bothered you? I remember people complaining about Ancient forest But I never struggled in any of the maps and thought they were a joy to traverse and explore

I suppose certain areas made combat difficult? But Thats always been a thing in every MH game and part of the combat strategy and planning

What? It seems literally that same if not better than what came before and one of the games highlights

The amount of moves, animations, and evolutions to what is essentially the same combat formula they have used for over a decade is top notch
Regarding level design, we've talked about it in the past, but you can feel they've made the scoutflies first, then made the levels after that.
It's just usually poorly thought out in terms of design and natural progression. Verticality is good but similar to 4, and the levels are similar to old (loading) maps. What changed is what is in between those fighting areas, and where it seems they've thought putting corridors going in every direction was a good idea.

They need badly to improve on that for the next games.
Again, the issue is the level design, its architecture, maps, etc. The whole "ecosystem" (marketing) thing is not linked to that in any way, nor is fast travel, level of detail, etc.
When people say they'd like it like before, it's basically removing the superfluous stuff. Whether you put a loading screen or an instant black screen like fast travel, it's just a way of removing that. If the World levels had basic corridors (like in the Desert map which is arguably the best of World), nobody would complain.

I agree with you for the moves btw, it's just the usual evolution.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If it were the same or better I'd actually be playing it right now. The way you run around and such is sluggish and the way attacks collide into the monsters, as well as piercing is not as smooth as the past few games. This new engine in particular really turned me off and there's certainly a difference.

I imagine most people won't notice, but to me it was a World of difference.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
If it were the same or better I'd actually be playing it right now. The way you run around and such is sluggish and the way attacks collide into the monsters, as well as piercing is not as smooth as the past few games. This new engine in particular really turned me off and there's certainly a difference.
I imagine most people won't notice, but to me it was a World of difference.

I miss the large blood splatters that not only looked cool but also gave feedback on how hard you were hitting / weak spots. In World, they seem to have replaced them with clouds of dust and bits of rock (meh.) but they stay the same size no matter the damage, so no feedback. You basically need to enable the on-screen damage numbers.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If next MH adopts the same "Session system" of World, there's high chance that a dedicated pause function won't be there as well.
In any case, Sleep mode works, so why exclude it as an option?

Because again, it's taking advantage of a system-level "workaround" rather than something that should just be in the game, itself.

On a similar note, I'd rather MP just go back to how "classic MH" does it. They can still "unify" Singleplayer and Guild Hall progression, if they so choose, but I honestly wouldn't mind having to actually be in the Guild Hall again, if I wanted to post up a quest or join in on somebody else's. And considering Switch is probably going to be a much better option for people who want to reignite local MP, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they lean back in that direction.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Because again, it's taking advantage of a system-level "workaround" rather than something that should just be in the game, itself.

On a similar note, I'd rather MP just go back to how "classic MH" does it. They can still "unify" Singleplayer and Guild Hall progression, if they so choose, but I honestly wouldn't mind having to actually be in the Guild Hall again, if I wanted to post up a quest or join in on somebody else's. And considering Switch is probably going to be a much better option for people who want to reignite local MP, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they lean back in that direction.

I see them doing all the above

What I would REALLY like to see is crossplay down the line

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
What titles do you expect for next fiscal year?
There's been some rumoring about a new Onimusha, REmake3 and RE8 being in production for a while... I'd probably exclude RE3 though 'cause a REmake back to back seems a bit "too much".
A new MH title, whatever it might be, would only make sense considering the franchise has had yearly releases for a while.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's no rumors about Onimusha. Just people hoping it's the case due to the remaster (that as far as I know, didn't lit charts on fire).

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not really linked to the 15th anniversary, but new plushes announced today:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Sadly not.
Also related: the MHXX twitter account is retweeting those announcements, and there's the 100th Capcom TV on March 20 (would be a great time to show more footage of Iceborne again).

I can only imagine/hope that the reason they bothered to keep a separate account for the "older game" is because it's going to be refreshed sometime in the near future.

But for now, we can only wait!

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The 11th is in about 3h in Japan, so we might hear about some stuff pretty soon (hopefully).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly I wouldn't care at all if we don't get any announcements. Just announce Iceborne is coming to PC day and date with consoles and not fucking 6 months later and Im great.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously guys, don't expect anything.

They have iceborne coming in a few months, they'll want to focus on that...
Yep, if people go into this expecting more than Iceborne reveals I feel they're going to be disappointed.

No reputable leakers have actually pointed to this event for Switch reveals, right? As much as I'd love a Switch MonHun that brings in the improved controls/world design from World that's probably not coming any time soon.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Official anniversary video. No new footage of Iceborne or anything.

Like was mentioned in the Direct topic: we'll likely not going to see any news today, or perhaps even this week. And for good reason...

8wytisuamdl21.png

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I do like this new shot/background they have with all of the flagship monsters.
mainart.jpg

Wouldn't be opposed to seeing just about every one of those in World (Fatalis not so much).

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Like was mentioned in the Direct topic: we'll likely not going to see any news today, or perhaps even this week. And for good reason...

8wytisuamdl21.png

Bummer. Don't know what i was expecting since we just had the appreciation festival, and i mean they can't give any more than they did there, but i was expecting something. At the very least Kulve returns this weekend so there's that, hoping RNJesus is on my side.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a Monster Hunter that isn't incredibly easy until well into endgame, again.

MHW was so disappointing in that regard.