• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
This looks better than I thought it would. Failed my first quest but had fun trying.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So uhh... this is interesting and kind of weird. I don't own the full version of MHXX, but I noticed something new to the NA demo that wasn't in the Japanese demo.

Apparently, Capcom has added a bunch of floating triangles to the US demo to show you the way to the monster?

4U's Demo had similar:

tumblr_nhwhs3JJ5m1ruxn67o1_400.png

tumblr_nhwhs3JJ5m1ruxn67o2_400.png

But on MHGU, i'm guessing there is no option?
Forgot about those, never tried the beginner option in those demos.
Hopefully it's not in the final game because it would be really shitty, both in terms of design and visuals.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about those, never tried the beginner option in those demos.
Hopefully it's not in the final game because it would be really shitty, both in terms of design and visuals.
It won't be. It's only the demo so you can get into action as quickly as possible and don't run around looking for the monster because you only have 25 minutes and crappy gear (especially against Valphalk)

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
What's the over/under that come Friday people will people complain about how the demo didn't click with them?

I would say not much to be honest. Any World player who is willing to give this a try is likely to stick with it. At the end of the day, MHW is still a MH game. It's not that drastically different from its predecessors. The ones that vehemently hate the old titles won't even bother trying. You can see flame wars against "handheld elitists"/"elitist veterans" in pretty much every MHW thread. I think it's obvious those people would not own a handheld like Switch or only owns one to play first-party exclusives. Unless they go out of their way to talk about a demo they didn't try, I would say that the demo will go well with the World players that care enough about it.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

However, as far as I can recall MHG had quite a few single player HR Quests. Might be wrong though.

Strange that I have not found a conclusive answer still.
Yes, Village has 7*, 8* and 9* High-rank quests. There are also some pseudo-G rank (G rank attack, High rank HP) quests in the village just like in previous games.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

That and the demo are probably the only thing we'll see Capcom do to promote this.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I believe so as I think MonHunGen only has a select few High Rank Solo Quests, but this is GU:

God damn, I can't wait for that. People can talk about missing qol changes all they like, but picking G/Deviant quests from a menu is way better than the silly way you had to go about getting tempered quests in World.

They really should give us infinite whetstones, pickaxes and nets though.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks!

However, as far as I can recall MHG had quite a few single player HR Quests. Might be wrong though.

Strange that I have not found a conclusive answer still.

More info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/522myp/mhgen_are_there_any_village_high_rank_quests/

There are a few high rank village quests, but not many.

Check this page. The 6* quests labelled [Advanced] are all high rank.

For the monsters you can't farm in the village, make sure you're hitting their weak points. It'll make the quests go much faster.

Most high rank hub quests take me around 10 minutes solo. Deviants and hyper monsters take 15-20. Multi-monster quests and elder dragons are the only huge time-sinks.

Which leads to 20 Quests with "Advanced" on their name.

Here is the MHXX Village Quests, i'd say anything after 7-Star is guaranteed HR or more as the "Advanced" Quests are still in 6-Star:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHGU:_Village_Quests

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Look at all that early fluff is all I can say. Still playing through XX though, can't wait to get to the actual meaty content of it. 40 hours in and not even there yet =(

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Played 30 hours of Monster Hunter World with the Light Bowgun, liked it a lot. Quit this demo after about 5-10 minutes, shit felt like a complete step backwards lol.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So uhh... this is interesting and kind of weird. I don't own the full version of MHXX, but I noticed something new to the NA demo that wasn't in the Japanese demo.

Apparently, Capcom has added a bunch of floating triangles to the US demo to show you the way to the monster?
Those were in the Japanese demo, I'm pretty sure.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
looking forward to impressions of people either starting here, or coming from World (being their first game)

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
In my case, they're still stupid to release it in the same month as MHW PC. There's no way I'm buying this at launch now.
In my case, they're pretty smart. I played a ton of MHW when it came out and I was sure there was no way I'd want to play this by the time it came out. But man, watching all these new players trying to figure out World gives me some serious nostalgia for...six months ago. Kinda makes me want to play again. But I already played enough of World so now I'm getting pretty psyched for MHG.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
God bless my hands. Hop on the arthritis train everyone.

Speaking of which, I just remembered I don't have a Pro Controller yet. I heard some bad stuff about its d-pad but some revisions may or may not be better, anyone know if there's a specific controller I should hunt down or are new ones 'fixed'?

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Just failed the easy level quest playing as the bow class. I felt like I got a ton of hits off, but the monster only started limping at the very end. Is the bow just a pretty low damage weapon? Or is it because I didn't really use any of the combos (felt too pressures by the time limit to experiment with those)?

EDIT: Whoops, meant to post this in the actual demo release thread. Not sure how I ended up here instead. I guess it still fits here though.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
tbh I just can't see many World newcomers to even slightly enjoy GU lol.

To be honest I have always liked some stuff about MH but controls have always held me back. I always blamed it on not having twin sticks but trying to play MH on the Switch I realize I still don't like the controls (I love the controls on World, they just feel more fluid). That's the shame of it, everything about the game says I'd love it but the controls really annoy me (where as World is great cause the controls are exactly what I'd like).

And maybe it's cause I still haven't figured out what I'm doing (I can't find any tutorial on controls so I've been muddling through). But for example I hate having to point the bow and have to walk at the same time. I'd like to be able to stop and aim the bow (it doesn't seem to work like that). And I'd rather the aim and shoot be on the triggers (for that matter why can't I have one button to aim and the other to shoot, it doesn't seem like they even use all the buttons so why don't I have one for aiming specifically).

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
To be honest I have always liked some stuff about MH but controls have always held me back. I always blamed it on not having twin sticks but trying to play MH on the Switch I realize I still don't like the controls (I love the controls on World, they just feel more fluid). That's the shame of it, everything about the game says I'd love it but the controls really annoy me (where as World is great cause the controls are exactly what I'd like).

And maybe it's cause I still haven't figured out what I'm doing (I can't find any tutorial on controls so I've been muddling through). But for example I hate having to point the bow and have to walk at the same time. I'd like to be able to stop and aim the bow (it doesn't seem to work like that). And I'd rather the aim and shoot be on the triggers (for that matter why can't I have one button to aim and the other to shoot, it doesn't seem like they even use all the buttons so why don't I have one for aiming specifically).

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
The bow is probably the most shitty weapon in old MH in terms of control. Played a lot with the bow in World myself but I cannot recommend playing with it in any World predecessor. It's just ... not fun imo.
Everything else works perfectly fine in my experience though.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The bow is probably the most shitty weapon in old MH in terms of control. Played a lot with the bow in World myself but I cannot recommend playing with it in any World predecessor. It's just ... not fun imo.
Everything else works perfectly fine in my experience though.

Well that's a shame. It was my favorite in World and in general I love playing bows in games.