• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Remember the talk that Capcom was in dire straits before Monster Hunter World basically saved the company? Then World becomes this massive hit, then RE2, and so on...

Bet they're pretty fucking happy with how the last 3 years have gone for them

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just nuts. Congrats to the team at Capcom, they more than deserve the success with the incredible game they delivered.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter games being the savior of Capcom feels like the feel-good story of the industry right now.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played online for the first time ever last night. Watching two people with Japanese screen names absolutely wreck a Diablos' shit in less than 5 minutes was hilarious.

Great game. It'll reach 10 million on Switch alone with continued support.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
MonHun, MegaMan Collections, RE doing great and we're getting localized Ace Attorney titles in the west. Fighting games are on the right track, they just need to nail the fuck out of the next Street Fighter and, well, Capcom is b_ck.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I believe "best selling single- platform title" is just a very wordy way of saying a game on one console (exclusive) as it is in comparison to Street Fighter II: World Warrior, which sold 6.3 million as a SNES exclusive.

Jun 23, 2019
Welp. Nintendo fans got their exclusive MH. Sony and Xbox people got their own MH and PC gets whatever. Nice to see everyone is happy.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mainly curious about the exact time frame referred to here. I find it hard to believe it just reached 6m considering the update just dropped a couple hours ago and it has been exactly one month since launch.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Capcom top10 platinum list now has 5 games that have come in the past 5 years :
Monster hunter world
RE7
RE2R
Monster Hunter Rise
SFV
Those 5 games have also all pass the 5 millions cap.
Capcom big 3 franchises are definitely doing super well atm. This is pretty damn great to hear :)
Curious to see how Pragmata will do since it is a completely new franchise.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is accounting for a higher percentage of total WW sales than was seen with World. That's a trend I think will continue for the life of the game.

I think Wprld came out at an ideal time that had a lot of folks in EU and US willing to check it out but inevitably I think many of those that bought it came to the conclusion that MH wasn't for them. This can be shown via the stark drop off for ICEBORNE. So Workd was sort of lightning in abottle that failed to capture the attention of a large portion of its audience long term. I don't think we will see another MH title perform as well outside Japan again anytime soon

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is accounting for a higher percentage of total WW sales than was seen with World. That's a trend I think will continue for the life of the game.

I think Wprld came out at an ideal time that had a lot of folks in EU and US willing to check it out but inevitably I think many of those that bought it came to the conclusion that MH wasn't for them. This can be shown via the stark drop off for ICEBORNE. So Workd was sort of lightning in abottle that failed to capture the attention of a large portion of its audience long term. I don't think we will see another MH title perform as well outside Japan again anytime soon
there may be some truth to this, but a piece of DLC failing to sell at a rate that even comes close to the base game is incredibly common. it alone doesn't imply a long term consumer-interest problem.

edit: edited out my trophy example, i was mixing something up

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This post is so wrong in so many ways. This sounds like the pre-release smugness trying to push the narrative that World wasn't going to be succesful

Iceborne sold EIGHT million copies.Most devs would want that for there base game. If you take a quick look at Trophies, World has a bunch of very high completion percentages.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. Iceborne did great.

Rise is already on par with World's PS4 version but this is not the whole story, probably Rise is reaching new players itself, players never tried World in the first place. Rise is expanding the series audience and its only bigger now than it has ever been.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I really love Monster Hunter, and the fundamentals of Rise are about the best they've ever been in the series, but the game was unfinished at launch, and I think that Capcom deserve more flak and more attention given to that. The most recent update is pretty high quality, but it also feels half-baked to me, like it was thrown together in haste. There are spelling errors on quests, bugs with a quest showing up multiple times, the apex monster fights feel unfinished and boring and don't have any special gear associated with them.

The fact is that the game itself is great, I'm not denying that. I'm a big MH player and I think Rise is a great entry in terms of its fundamentals. But it is not OK to be releasing unfinished games like this, and I worry that the more that a company gets away with this sort of thing, the more encouragement there is to cut corners next time around even worse.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Capcom top10 platinum list now has 5 games that have come in the past 5 years :
Monster hunter world
RE7
RE2R
Monster Hunter Rise
SFV
Those 5 games have also all pass the 5 millions cap.
Capcom big 3 franchises are definitely doing super well atm. This is pretty damn great to hear :)
Curious to see how Pragmata will do since it is a completely new franchise.
That' because they can now sell these games for years at heavy discounts online.

in the past these sales for a few bucks to budget conscious buyers would have been second hand sales.

older and newer sales figures will never be comparable again because all those copies of SF2 on SNES sold at full price.

Oct 27, 2017
And trolls like to say 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo systems.

I'm glad for the games success. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, the multiplayer has been a blast with friends. Capcom deserves the string sales.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Glad for the game's success. Maybe I'll spin up a GameFly trial for it someday, but I've tried Monster Hunter twice and it's not yet clicked with me; I fear it's just not for me.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I really love Monster Hunter, and the fundamentals of Rise are about the best they've ever been in the series, but the game was unfinished at launch, and I think that Capcom deserve more flak and more attention given to that. The most recent update is pretty high quality, but it also feels half-baked to me, like it was thrown together in haste. There are spelling errors on quests, bugs with a quest showing up multiple times, the apex monster fights feel unfinished and boring and don't have any special gear associated with them.

The fact is that the game itself is great, I'm not denying that. I'm a big MH player and I think Rise is a great entry in terms of its fundamentals. But it is not OK to be releasing unfinished games like this, and I worry that the more that a company gets away with this sort of thing, the more encouragement there is to cut corners next time around even worse.
I'd be far more unforgiving if there wasn't, you know, a global pandemic.

Given the circumstances, I'm willing to cut them some slack here. Yeah, they could've delayed the game two months and released it actually finished, but if the choice was between that and the current circumstances then I'd take what we have now.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Very much deserved. I had a bit of a hick-up with the rampage mode, but I've since managed to get it, and I can now state tentatively that this is a top 5 Switch game contender for me so far. Really great game!

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. MH always sells very well on handhelds and Japan loves their handhelds. Japan probably accounts majority of the sales.

Now the question is can it beat MHP3rd's record in Japan?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Game is so much fucking fun

Seems like a poor reading of the situation. Iceborne did incredibly well and a dropoff from base game to DLC is always to be expected.