• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Rise has been over World since week 3 physically. Likely since week 2 if digital is included. I'm npt sure you actually know what the numbers you are quoting mean.

Anyway. Rise isn't going to outsell World so I don't get the fuss. Everyone knows this.
Yes. It is maybe possible by releasing it on PC or other platforms at a later time, but I don't see this happening on Switch alone.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The 8.7M figure is PS4 LTD sales as of August 2020, not sales in a 1 month timeframe.
Yes it looks like I misread the info. Searching for first month data has been unfruitful thus far but I did find a sell through announcement for world saying it sold through 5 million in its first 3 days whereas Rise accomplished the same in its first week. I'll keep looking for first month data

Does everyone replying to me think this game is gonna actually outsell World LTD? That's the crux of what I'm saying is unlikely to happen due to less traction WW. As oregano says o don't even think that Capcom's goal is to outsell world I think they are trying to cultivate new audiences for the product which is great for the franchise long term. I'm really not understanding what is so controversial about what I'm saying regardless of confusion around specific data points.

Jun 23, 2019
Why are some of y'all so gung-ho to prove Rise is outselling MHW? Can't we just celebrate both titles selling decently and leave it at that?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it looks like I misread the info. Searching for first month data has been unfruitful thus far but I did find a sell through announcement for world saying it sold through 5 million in its first 3 days whereas Rise accomplished the same in its first week. I'll keep looking for first month data

Does everyone replying to me think this game is gonna actually outsell World LTD? That's the crux of what I'm saying is unlikely to happen due to less traction WW. As oregano says o don't even think that Capcom's goal is to outsell world I think they are trying to cultivate new audiences for the product which is great for the franchise long term. I'm really not understanding what is so controversial about what I'm saying regardless of confusion around specific data points.

I'm pretty sure most people agree it won't outsell World, mainly due to World being a multiplat on consoles. But the reason we were questioning your numbers and your conclusions is because the numbers used were indeed wrong. And because I don't think anybody expected it to outright outsell World, which your conclusion seemed to be stating was surprising.

However it is very likely to outsell the PS4 SKU of World, which is a more reasonable comparison.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Rise wont outsell World WW
I think everyone agrees

It could sell on par with PS4 SKU of World (no Iceborn included obviously)

It is just that you were mixing numbers up

What we know is that in a similar time frame (we dont have the exact one) Rise sold 6 millions, World (PS4 + One) sold 7.5 millions

And that Rise already outsold World in Japan

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure most people agree it won't outsell World, mainly due to World being a multiplat on consoles. But the reason we were questioning your numbers and your conclusions is because the numbers used were indeed wrong. And because I don't think anybody expected it to outright outsell World, which your conclusion seemed to be stating was surprising.

However it is very likely to outsell the PS4 SKU of World, which is a more reasonable comparison.
so in your opinion it's only the lack of multi platform release that's preventing it from outselling World? So if it gets released for PC would you see it outselling world? The point I was trying to make is that a lot of folks outside Japan bought into world as their first monster hunter game and I don't think they truly captured the majority of those first time buyers. Oregano states that the platform choice is ensuring its selling to a Different audience but I don't necessarily think it is for a lot of WW consumers regardless of platform. I'd be really curious to see how well the game would perform on PC in comparison to World

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Why are some of y'all so gung-ho to prove Rise is outselling MHW? Can't we just celebrate both titles selling decently and leave it at that?
I was coming here to post the same thing. Just be happy that this series we love is selling well on all platforms. Great job Capcom and Monster Hunter!
But no one was doing that, if anything it's the opposite, someone was arriving at conclusions based on incorrect numbers so many people were just trying to correct their incorrect assumptions.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
so in your opinion it's only the Mack of multi platform release that's preventing it from outselling World? So if it gets released for PC would you see it outselling world? The point I was trying to make is that a lot of folks outside Japan bought into world as their first monster hunter game and I don't think they truly captured the majority of those first time buyers. Oregano states that the platform choice is ensuring its selling to a Different audience but I don't necessarily think it is for a lot of WW consumers regardless of platform. I'd be really curious to see how well the game would perform on PC in comparison to World

It's already confirmed that it will release on PC, but that's still only two platforms vs three for World. I don't agree with the conclusion that there is some major franchise dropoff in the west, the major difference in sales at the moment is down to the fact that this is on a totally different user base and just a single platform at that, rather than two.

If World was some lightning in a bottle moment then we would see Rise going back to MH4 numbers, not vastly surpassing those lifetime totals within days.

Jun 23, 2019
But no one was doing that, if anything it's the opposite, someone was arriving at false conclusions based on incorrect numbers so many people were just trying to correct their incorrect assumptions.

The last few pages had been people trying to show that Rise is outselling MHW on a single platform basis and going back and forth over silly minutiae. At the end of the day, MH is in the best spot it's ever been since it's inception and we should be happy for that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last few pages had been people trying to show that Rise is outselling MHW on a single platform basis and going back and forth over silly minutiae. At the end of the day, MH is in the best spot it's ever been since it's inception and we should be happy for that.
I think the fact that people are pointing out its single platform growth is done to highlight how happy people are about the series' growth.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
so in your opinion it's only the lack of multi platform release that's preventing it from outselling World? So if it gets released for PC would you see it outselling world? The point I was trying to make is that a lot of folks outside Japan bought into world as their first monster hunter game and I don't think they truly captured the majority of those first time buyers. Oregano states that the platform choice is ensuring its selling to a Different audience but I don't necessarily think it is for a lot of WW consumers regardless of platform. I'd be really curious to see how well the game would perform on PC in comparison to World
No one on Era has ever thought MHR as a single SKU will sell more than MHW with 3 SKUs. No one.

Is there any possibility both SKUs of MHR will together sell LTD same or better than all three SKUs of MHW? Yes there is imo, if all planets align.

How could this happen? Well:
1. Historically Switch games have better legs
2. Capcom sales on Switch do well
3. If there is a Switch Pro patch when Switch pro comes out and it is significant enough, that might give the game a renewed boost on Switch (combined with the above),
4. PC threshold should be lower for Rise, meaning a potentially larger market on PC for MHR than for MHW
5. Once PC comes out, MHR might possibly gets crossplay and cross save, since Nintendo is more accommodating for these, which should also push additional sales

Will it happen? I would say more likely not, but it is still a real possibility.

Added: By the way, regarding the 80:20 PS4:XB1 proportion, you asked where it was taken from - it was calculated (and slightly rounded in favor of PS4) based on the leaked numbers, 8.7m PS4 and 2.4m Xbox

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The last few pages have been people correcting a misread of leaked numbers. Again, who are you speaking of exactly?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's mostly in your head, most are just happy that's its performing well. A user got corrected about the source/numbers he provided but that's it.

Show th scenario you describing might have happened in other threads but not this one...though is don't really remember anyone expecting MHR to outperform MHW...that's def. not a popular take nor a hill anyone is willing to die on.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear I (and others) just replied to RexNovis because their numbers where wrong. Monster Hunter Rise on Switch alone will never outsell World.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It makes me so happy to see Capcom make all of the right moves (after a shaky 7th Gen, and first half of Gen 8), and it pay off. I can't wait to see what's coming next. They're on their second or third golden era now.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
With all those sales you'd think they could afford to not charge £2.69 to just edit ones character.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed that it will release on PC, but that's still only two platforms vs three for World. I don't agree with the conclusion that there is some major franchise dropoff in the west, the major difference in sales at the moment is down to the fact that this is on a totally different user base and just a single platform at that, rather than two.

If World was some lightning in a bottle moment then we would see Rise going back to MH4 numbers, not vastly surpassing those lifetime totals within days.
I'm not saying that world hasn't grown the WW audience for Monster Hunter. It absolutely has grown the audience but I don't think it captures the majority of the WW audience that bought in for World. In other words I don't think we will se a majority of the folks who bought world on PC or elsewhere buy in for Rise. But even knowing that it'll without a doubt see an increased performance from older Monster Hunter entries.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With all those sales you'd think they could afford to not charge £2.69 to just edit ones character.
I still don't understand why they want money for this.

Can't you use the free one and when not happy with the end result just download the previous safe from the cloud and do it again?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The game is so fucking World, I got into World as my first game but always had a passing interest, Rise is all I'm playing & thinking about rn.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that world hasn't grown the WW audience for Monster Hunter. It absolutely has grown the audience but I don't think it captures the majority of the WW audience that bought in for World. In other words I don't think we will se a majority of the folks who bought world on PC or elsewhere buy in for Rise. But even knowing that it'll without a doubt see an increased performance from older Monster Hunter entries.

Well that's a lot harder to quantify. For one you're talking about two entirely different software ecosystems, so it's very hard to determine how much overlap is in the audiences buying both games. Second, the regions in which the Switch is performing strongly aren't exactly the same in which the XB1 and PS4 are performing well. An example is the UK, or India where Nintendo has no official presence.

It's also too early to try and quantify this, considering how close the actual numbers are to each other.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the talk that Capcom was in dire straits before Monster Hunter World basically saved the company? Then World becomes this massive hit, then RE2, and so on...

Bet they're pretty fucking happy with how the last 3 years have gone for them

All it took was letting go of their reliance on western developers and going back to their core gameplay philosophies. Kinda what made them popular in the first place.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the talk that Capcom was in dire straits before Monster Hunter World basically saved the company? Then World becomes this massive hit, then RE2, and so on...

Bet they're pretty fucking happy with how the last 3 years have gone for them
Monster Hunter profits from before World (PSP/3DS/Mobile) were helping them keep the lights running too.

Luckily, RE and DMC IPs are in a much stronger position these days.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt a leak say that the MH World on the PS4 sold about 8.7 million LTD? Or maybe that number wasnt correct or confirmed (i havnt followed the news around that too much, i am sorry). But if the number is correct, i think MR Rise on the Switch alone might have a chance to reach that number, or at least be pretty close to it :)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Didnt a leak say that the MH World on the PS4 sold about 8.7 million LTD? Or maybe that number wasnt correct or confirmed (i havnt followed the news around that too much, i am sorry). But if the number is correct, i think MR Rise on the Switch alone might have a chance to reach that number, or at least be pretty close to it :)
MH World is not taken into account because it's a multiplatform game (launched on PS4 and XB1). It's an arbitrary distinction for sure, but if you look at games that have released with only one sku, Rise has surpassed the biggest one.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's "single platform" verbiage seems to be referring to exclusive titles, so I was incorrect about that. There is definitely a chance Switch could pass MHW's PS4 LTD though.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
MH World is not taken into account because it's a multiplatform game (launched on PS4 and XB1). It's an arbitrary distinction for sure, but if you look at games that have released with only one sku, Rise has surpassed the biggest one.
I see, thanks for the info :) I guess that makes sense in the way to compare games that faced more of the same conditions (being only released on one platform or being multiplatform). Do we know what the most selling single SKU game was before MH Rise?

Capcom's "single platform" verbiage seems to be referring to exclusive titles, so I was incorrect about that. There is definitely a chance Switch could pass MHW's PS4 LTD though.
No problem at all, i was also understanding it as it was being referred to any single SKU (which would include multiplatform games as well), so you werent alone about understanding it that way :) Thanks for the answer. And reading some of the other replies in the thread, i see now that there was also some uncertainty what exactly it meant. I meant to have seen an about 8.7 million sales figure for the PS4 version of MH World, so i just wanted to ask if MH Rise still had some way to go to surpass that number, based on the factor that SKUs from multiplatfor games were also included. And i also wanted to ask in case you maybe meant "yes" to time aligned sales. For example, maybe MH Rise has sold more than the MH World on PS4 when we look at the first 5 weeks or sales for both games, and i was wondering if there maybe was some info on this as well :) I see that one user mention that the PS4 version of MH World had sold about 5.5 million copies in the same time frame as MH Rise.

Yeah, i can definitely see MH Rise on Switch outselling the PS4 version of MH World, indeed, i agree. That wont surprise me at least. Reading more posts in this thread, i see that you mentioned that the ~8.7 million number for the PS4 version of MH World is up to August 2020, so MH Rise on the Switch still have a good time to beat that if we look at timed aligned sales as well :)

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter II on the SNES with 6.3M. Rise still needs to overtake that one officially.
Ah right, reading the tweet in the OP again, i see now that its about to becoe the best selling single SKU game. I first thought that MH Rise was already the best selling one. Thanks again :) Yeah, MH Rise on the Switch alone should have no problem selling 300k more copies and then becoming the best selling single SKU game from Capcom. I guess it will reach that number within the next month or so.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
And yes World had sold through 8million in roughly the same time frame. See the quoted post below
Might wanna take a closer look at the source, then, because that post is wrong.
It sold ~8.7m ltd as of the last info in that thread.
Right but he didn't say 8.7M on just PS4, he said 8M sell through in the same time frame. I was wondering if that was somewhere in that link because I couldn't find it there.

I see that the wording in my post caused some confusion, my bad.

The "at that point" meant the leak date, and not the same time it took Switch to sell 6M since we never got that kind of info from Capcom (with platforms split).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
6 millions already is just phenomenal performance. I hope it reaches 10 on its own before the G expansion releases.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
In the end, this just means that Monster Hunter is not going anywhere and MHW was not a one time thing, who would've thought looking back at the PSP days that MH would be selling around 10 millions per entry, back then it felt like it was going to stay a Japan thing and be extremely niche in the West.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wish I knew how to play this game

what an amazing success
Gaijin Hunter in YouTube is a good place to learn. Watch some of his videos and maybe wait for an eventual sale of the game so you can learn by play it without feeling that you spent too much on making an effort for learning the game. And you will get more content by then, especially the whole single player storyline.

I got into Monster Hunter with Tri on the Wii and I have been hooked since then, but I can see how it can be daunting at first.

This Girlfriend Reviews video and this Beatemup video may help you to "understand and get" a little more about the game.

vadavada

Apr 28, 2018
Gaijin Hunter in YouTube is a good place to learn. Watch some of his videos and maybe wait for an eventual sale of the game so you can learn by play it without feeling that you spent too much on making an effort for learning the game. And you will get more content by then, especially the whole single player storyline.

I got into Monster Hunter with Tri on the Wii and I have been hooked since then, but I can see how it can be daunting at first.

This Girlfriend Reviews video and this Beatemup video may help you to "understand and get" a little more about the game.
Thanks

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Figured I'd do this to give people some timelines:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)
12.06.10 2 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e101206.html
12.20.10 3 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e101220.html
01.05.11 4 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e110105.html

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
09.17.13 2 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e130917.html
10.15.13 3 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e131015.html
12.04.13 4 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e131204.html

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
10.15.14 2 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e141015.html
02.16.15 3 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150216b.html

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)
12.03.15 2 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151203.html
12.24.15 3 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151224.html

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XBO)
01.29.18 5 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180129.html
02.09.18 6 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180209.html
03.05.18 7.5 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180305.html

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XBO + PC)
08.20.18 10 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180820.html
01.15.20 15 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e200115.html

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (PS4/XBO)
09.13.19 2.5 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e190913.html

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (PS4/XBO + PC)
01.15.20 4 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e200115.html
03.13.20 5 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e200313.html

Monster Hunter Rise (NSW)
03.29.21 4 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210329.html
04.05.21 5 million sold: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210405.html

Dec 2, 2020
I clearly remember people genuinely saying "don't bother with a Switch exclusive MH game".

Fucking rofl. They made BANK. And it's a great game!

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Making the wait for pc a tough one. I may crack and get it for switch if it goes on sale

capcom plz don't kick world to the curb