Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Been farming Vaal armor, don't really care for the stats and the fight sucks but I love the look. Please gem, drop soon I'm tired of this miasma.

Is there any drawback going for armor before beating the game? I don't wanna make it and find out there's another new tier of armor after I beat the last guy.
There aren't any new armor tiers after HR (for now, pray for Grank) but since you are going for the looks anyway, why would it matter :p

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
err guys the weekly bounteis dont count until you go to the bounty board to "trigger" them... son of a bitch, what a waste of a temepred legiana :(

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Despite my earlier advice I actually agree with this. Just know the game differentiates between Low Rank and High Rank monsters/armor and the latter, once available, immediately invalidates the former.

I know people who considered that a nasty surprise, because collecting the parts for the low rank armor requires you to hunt a monster multiple times. Despite that, I do not consider it a waste of time as these hunts lets you get familiar with the monsters, their movesets, the terrain and of course your own weapons and tools as well.

But it's something to keep in mind. What seems like the end of the game is basically the end of the tutorial.

Yeah, I get what you mean, kinda like an mmo. Grinding gear is mostly useful at lvl cap but it's fun and helps you learn in lower levels. Im super pumped. Just a few more hours until everyone falls asleep and I can dive in. Thanks again for the tips!

How much affinity is enough affinity?

Using LS

0% at base
30% at maximum stamina w/ maximum might
80% on weak points with level 3 weakness exploit
90% with level 1 activated latent power

Level 3 Stun Resistance
Level 3 Weakness exploit
Level 3 Focus
Level 3 Divine Blessing
Level 3 Maximum Might
Level 2 Defense Boost
Level 1 Attack Boost
Level 1 Latent Power
Level 1 Non-elemental Boost

By the second slash in a regular combo my stamina is full and stamina regens during spirit blade combos so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Playstyle involves a lot of recklessness since I'm not very good at dodging attacks so I waste my decos for level 3 divine blessing and level 3 stun resistance for survival insurance (also latent power lulz). If i ever get good I can fill up with attack jewels instead.

Weapon I'm using has 3 augment spots, should I bother using one for the 10% base affinity boost to achieve 90%-100% when all above conditions are met?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really farming for gems, I farm Vaal for streamstones and decorations, I just think it's funny I've never carved a gem out of him in all this time.

I don't know for definite but the carve rate is probably around 1 percent, you could easily do 100 or more and not get one. Gold investigation boxes are your only real chance.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I don't know for definite but the carve rate is probably around 1 percent, you could easily do 100 or more and not get one. Gold investigation boxes are your only real chance.

It's definitely much higher from reward boxes, but even still, considering I've done 5 carves per kill (4 body + tail) that's a pretty hilariously poor rate.

I'm curious if the fact the game's more global now and metadata is easier to access will lead to them actually tweaking drop rates over time.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
This is just factually wrong mate. You can only get them from tracks. It tells you this in the game if you dont want to take our word for it.

I basically pick up anything. Teo, Daora and Vaal are non agro but, Nergi a group of us we started using Ghillie mantle and just circle around him till it wears out picking up anything that's left around before pounding it in.

EDIT: Nergi will agro after a few seconds hovering around him so that's why we use the Ghillie Mantle. Also if you are in a 15 minute investigation I wouldn't do this unless you can beat it within that time. This was a 50 minute investigation so....

Last edited:

Recall

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone be interested in doing some coral highlands and appropriate investigations? I'm on now for the rest of the night and playing by myself is a tad boring.

PSN: RecallBerserk

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Been farming Vaal armor, don't really care for the stats and the fight sucks but I love the look. Please gem, drop soon I'm tired of this miasma.

Is there any drawback going for armor before beating the game? I don't wanna make it and find out there's another new tier of armor after I beat the last guy.

Doing normal investigations? I got most of my gems that way. Got 3 from just two nights of farming.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
How much affinity is enough affinity?

Using LS

0% at base
30% at maximum stamina w/ maximum might
80% on weak points with level 3 weakness exploit
90% with level 1 activated latent power

Level 3 Stun Resistance
Level 3 Weakness exploit
Level 3 Focus
Level 3 Divine Blessing
Level 3 Maximum Might
Level 2 Defense Boost
Level 1 Attack Boost
Level 1 Latent Power
Level 1 Non-elemental Boost

By the second slash in a regular combo my stamina is full and stamina regens during spirit blade combos so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Playstyle involves a lot of recklessness since I'm not very good at dodging attacks so I waste my decos for level 3 divine blessing and level 3 stun resistance for survival insurance (also latent power lulz). If i ever get good I can fill up with attack jewels instead.

Weapon I'm using has 3 augment spots, should I bother using one for the 10% base affinity boost to achieve 90%-100% when all above conditions are met?

You have a good thing going. Obviously the more you crit the more damage you'll do. I run the xeno long sword as a 100% crit build the same way. Just replace survivability stuff for more damage of you aren't worried about carting. I personally always have level 3 stun resist too.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What's with the people constantly capturing a monster while the investigation clearly says to hunt it? Very annoying. Maybe I'll just solo farm then, damn. Thanks to these folks I miss out on an extra hardbone.

The only reason not to capture is if you haven't broken all the parts on the monster before you perform the capture.

The "hunt" means "capture or kill". "Slay" means kill and it only applies to monsters you can't capture.

Also, heh, I never thought I'd see someone complain about capturing instead of killing. It's usually the other way around.

SnesCartman

Oct 25, 2017
to Geist6one7 and Ony Xie, that was the funniest moment ever, we fought Teostra and we died together triple cart, lucky us it's 5 faint quest, oh I'm cartman btw :D

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
to Geist6one7 and Ony Xie, that was the funniest moment ever, we fought Teostra and we died together triple cart, lucky us it's 5 faint quest, oh I'm cartman btw :D
Haha at first I was like:

"Oh no :("

Then I saw you guys at camp too and was like: "Oh ok :D"

It wasn't even a supernova that carted us

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I can afford crit boost but I read something negative about it? Like how it's translated wrong or something??

It's not translated wrong, but the intention can be misplaced depenidng on how you read it because it assumes you know crit is normally +25%. Thus, crit boost says it raises it to 30%, so 5% increase. People read it as adding an additional 30% on top of the crit bonus, which would be freaking absurd.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I honestly didn't know killing and capturing are both acceptable in "hunt" quests.

Just forged myself a nice SnS (Rathalos design is so good) and decided to start from the beginning in getting a feel for the weapon. I guess the Great Jagras was a bit too easy, though, dude was near death before I knew it. Fight lasted little over a minute and only because it ran away in the beginning.

I like how the monster appears in Astera after you capture it. A nice touch.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Do Paralize lv1 stacks with Paralize lv2 ammo to paralize monsters or each ammo have its own status chance

Yes. The paralysis meter in each monster is unique but raises the same regardless of the source. Just that lvl2 adds significantly more per shot. What can take 8 or 9 shots to para kushala take only 4 or 5 level 5. Remember, it ticks down if it doesn't build up after a set period which could mean wasting shots

Last edited:

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's not translated wrong, but the intention can be misplaced depenidng on how you read it because it assumes you know crit is normally +25%. Thus, crit boost says it raises it to 30%, so 5% increase. People read it as adding an additional 30% on top of the crit bonus, which would be freaking absurd.
The skill reads "Increases damage dealt by critical hits by 30%"
This can be interpreted in two ways:
1. .25 * 1.3 = .325 or 32.5%. Doesn't do that.
2. Add 30% on top of the 25% damage boost for crits. That would be busted like you said.

How it SHOULD read:

"Increases bonus damage dealt by critical hits to 30%". Or something similar to that. Interpreting the skill to work like this based on the current ingame wording would be a misinterpretation.

Edit: changed the wrong "to" lol

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The skill reads "Increases damage dealt by critical hits by 30%"
This can be interpreted in two ways:
1. .25 * 1.3 = .325 or 32.5%. Doesn't do that.
2. Add 30% on top of the 25% damage boost for crits. That would be busted like you said.

How it SHOULD read:

"Increases bonus damage dealt by critical hits to 30%". Or something similar to that. Interpreting the skill to work like this based on the current ingame wording would be a misinterpretation.

Edit: changed the wrong "to" lol

They really need to fix it.

I wonder if they will address/nerf weakness exploit at all before adding Grank. I find that I feel compelled to get it no matter what set I plan and build for because it's just to easy to get and too practical. It would make crit boost more relevant. Right now the only way I see it being more useful than simply going for higher crit or stacking attack is if you have crit draw only. It's harder to get/gem/charm than the other 2 since it's on fewer pieces.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Okay now that I finally got that god damn gem, I can focus an entire charm on ANY stat.

I use GS, what should I go for with my charm?

I currently have:
Crit Eye 3/7
Weakness Exploit 3/3
Focus 3/3
Crit Draw 3/3
Health Boost 3/3
Crit eye is useless here, you could get rid of it and go either for Attack Up (getting it to st least lv.4 gives you a bonus 5% affinity) or AGITATOR

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
They really need to fix it.

I wonder if they will address/nerf weakness exploit at all before adding Grank. I find that I feel compelled to get it no matter what set I plan and build for because it's just to easy to get and too practical. It would make crit boost more relevant. Right now the only way I see it being more useful than simply going for higher crit or stacking attack is if you have crit draw only. It's harder to get/gem/charm than the other 2 since it's on fewer pieces.
Huh? Crit boost is strong because of how easy it is to stack crit in this game. If you nerf WE then Crit boost becomes harder to fit in. You don't choose between WE and CB, you get both! CB is just in a spot where it's hard if not impossible to make work without having good endgame decorations. I think that's fine though, gives something for people to chase in the endgame.

Side note, I also noticed that Artillery is not localized correctly. It should specify that it only affects impact phials for CB and not elemental phials. It doesn't make that distinction though.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just hunted the Anjanath in the Wildspire Wastes. Bazel introduced himself halfway through by carting me. This is going to be a thing, isn't it?

I got revenge by flinging him with poop and getting him stuck in one of the rock 'bridges' for the remainder of the fight, though.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Had a productive evening. Did the Coral event and got the gold crowns I was missing for the four monsters in that quest. I then launched a two player Teostra investigation and got a gold smallest crown. A friend then asked me to join him against a Kushala and got the large gold crown.

Also did the wiggly event and the new arena challenge with my friend. The latter is real tough to A rank. Seems...unlikely.

Oct 26, 2017
The only reason not to capture is if you haven't broken all the parts on the monster before you perform the capture.

The "hunt" means "capture or kill". "Slay" means kill and it only applies to monsters you can't capture.

Also, heh, I never thought I'd see someone complain about capturing instead of killing. It's usually the other way around.

Understandable man, but in this case I really needed those hardbones and I only received two after killing him. Or so i thought.

As for that hunt can mean either kill or capture.... I had no idea. I don't believe the game really told me so. Sadly I barely had a single Slay quest for Odogaron. Still managed to get all the items I wanted though.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just hunted the Anjanath in the Wildspire Wastes. Bazel introduced himself halfway through by carting me. This is going to be a thing, isn't it?

I got revenge by flinging him with poop and getting him stuck in one of the rock 'bridges' for the remainder of the fight, though.
Yes that's a thing :) Bazelgeuse shows up everywhere to ruin your day.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
60 Hours in and I realize why I'm so poor, I never sell monster parts. Clearing out extras in storage felt good.

Oct 26, 2017
Been busy for a few hours farming, so that I can have max attack for things like poison, thunder and paralysis. I like this system of switching up armor pieces to get the max levels of those attacks, only downside is that in terms of looks it just looks off at times. Some of those armor pieces really don't match.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Possible they were trying to break Vaal's head for fangs, which can be a real pain in the ass. Even single player it isn't as easy as it should be.

Feels like all the tempered Vaal kills people are more focused on a fast kill then trying to actually break anything. Atleast if he's knocked down for abit the people with short weapons can wail on the head.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Feels like all the tempered Vaal kills people are more focused on a fast kill then trying to actually break anything. Atleast if he's knocked down for abit the people with short weapons can wail on the head.

I mean, that's certainly what I'm focused on since he's my farming victim of choice for decos/streamstones.

Personally I always start the fight with him in the stalactite room and drop them on him as soon as I've baited him over there, I'm just trying to explain why someone might resist doing so.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
6CLjagj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.