• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you don't have lv3 miasma. Use some gems, you can get away with lv1 for the mist in the vale but not Vaal.

So the Effluvial Expert on the Girros waist armor that nullifies damage effluvia damage is different from Effluvial resistance? When I equip it, I'm fine in the Vale. I know that level 1 resistance isn't enough to even nullify damage in the Vale's effluvia but this armor says it completely nullifies it. Not for Vaal Hazak though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So whats the best way of farming tempered elder dragon investigations?

Stolen from gfaqs;

"Something I wish I knew earlier ... If you have this quest, you should do the following BEFORE you kill the horse.

Grab a Hunter's Helm alpha . (scoutfly lvl 1 and scholar lvl1)

Put it on

Start the HR49 Kirin quest "Thunderous Rumble in the Highlands"

Make your way to the elder dragon horse, picking up EVERY one of his footprints and fur things you find... once you find the horse - just hang back and follow him wherever he goes, he will occassionally leave more footprints and fur for you to investigate - you want to farm these.

Once you hit HR50 theres a stupid endgame grind that starts where you need to farm tempered elder dragons, and to do so you want to have some tempered elder dragon investigations in your investigation list - however, the only way to get these investigations is by finding tracks left around the the various maps by tempered elders . There are farming routes for these but they're all tedious with the load screens jumping from world to world ... SO - you can actually amass TONS of these investigations by simply picking up tempered Kirin footprints/ fur/ tracks/ etc ... and the easiest way to do this is via the HR49 Thunderous assignment.

So - just some advice, while you have the opportunity, spend some time following the horse around grab his prints and amass a bunch of investgations you can use down the road after you kill the thing."

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was so glad that the hip checking bastard Plesioth isn't in MHW.
then I found about about Lavasioth.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So I've played this game for ~120 hours and am HR 66, and I still can't tell if any monsters actually CAUSE dragon-type damage, because I honestly am not seeing it.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Is there an ice related status effect? I'm doing an elemental damage build, blast is nice but I'd like to go more with the theme.
The Dust effects you can get are Poison, Paralysis, Healing, and Blast.

Thematically I'd say Paralysis is closest :P

If you're interested, and you have a Glaive with "Speed Boost" Kinsect Bonus, I recommend the Ladytarge/Ladypavise. She's actually my favorite Kinsect overall <3
What the fuck is up with Azure Rathalos in arena? Spent the last 40 min crushing his head in with the HH yet the damn thing wouldn't die. Didn't even manage to put in a 1/4 of that damage with DB yet managed to get the kill. Do different weapons determine the monster's health pool because I find it insane that I was able to kill it when I barely got any hits in with the DB last night. Absolutely fuming right now. lol
In the Arena, solo I aim for silvers. They are all intended as kind of prep/loadout puzzles for two, so most of the golds will be impossible solo and the silvers will be tough without really testing all the loadouts for the right balance of a weapon you're good with/items on hand.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This game is in desperate need of some sort of transmog system. The best sets remind me of leveling up in WoW way back in the day when nothing matched and you looked like a goofball.

yup. basically I have zero reason to farm these other sets because skills are too important, but I totally would farm them and play more (not that im stopping yet) if I could.

Hell, a small part of the reason I changed from Gunlance is because I hated the Artillary pieces I had to use (well "had")

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Xeno'jiiva does, and Deviljho will.

So just one guy. Alright, I wasn't going crazy.

So the Effluvial Expert on the Girros waist armor that nullifies damage effluvia damage is different from Effluvial resistance? When I equip it, I'm fine in the Vale. I know that level 1 resistance isn't enough to even nullify damage in the Vale's effluvia but this armor says it completely nullifies it. Not for Vaal Hazak though.

Effluvial Expert prevents the ticking damage over time, but Effuvial Resistance prevents the buildup, which causes the HP halving effect. The two are separate, and Resistance is more useful for Vaal since you're surrounded with Effluvia basically all the time, assuming melee.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
yup. basically I have zero reason to farm these other sets because skills are too important, but I totally would farm them and play more (not that im stopping yet) if I could.

Hell, a small part of the reason I changed from Gunlance is because I hated the Artillary pieces I had to use (well "had")
how many hours do you have

I want it too but I worry true transmogrification would result in this game being my official cause of death

Hattori

Oct 25, 2017
This game is in desperate need of some sort of transmog system. The best sets remind me of leveling up in WoW way back in the day when nothing matched and you looked like a goofball.
capcom is actually selling cosmetic armors like the samurai set, it basically skins your current one so you don't look like mismatched weirdo

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I started the game with an extended "green phase", consisting mainly of Jagras and Pukei gear, before transitioning into a "blue period", wearing mostly Tzitzi, Tobi, and Legi gear. I think I'm now ready to go red with some HR Anjanath, Rathalos, and O-dog gear.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Come. Sit with me as I rage about a certain dragon.

Kushala Daora. What a wonderful phrase.

This motherfucker.

The initial fight wasn't too bad. Winds here and there to avoid. Let him land, swing away. No problem right? Limp away you stupid fuck face. Back to your nest. Almost there. Behold a platform in the middle where most times your character won't hop off. Ah, I see. Dragon mind games we're playing here. What's this? A tornado on the platform? There? And there? Where the fuck do I run!? Climb back up once it's done, dodge, attack. More fucking winds!? Gotta go fast. Run and heal. Run and...dead.

Whoever designed this nest needs to go die in a huge pile of shit. Not even as SOS could save me from that fight. The battle continues.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Come. Sit with me as I rage about a certain dragon.

Kushala Daora. What a wonderful phrase.

This motherfucker.

The initial fight wasn't too bad. Winds here and there to avoid. Let him land, swing away. No problem right? Limp away you stupid fuck face. Back to your nest. Almost there. Behold a platform in the middle where most times your character won't hop off. Ah, I see. Dragon mind games we're playing here. What's this? A tornado on the platform? There? And there? Where the fuck do I run!? Climb back up once it's done, dodge, attack. More fucking winds!? Gotta go fast. Run and heal. Run and...dead.

Whoever designed this nest needs to go die in a huge pile of shit. Not even as SOS could save me from that fight. The battle continues.

Flash bomb his ass out of the air and bring bugs to make more. Then laugh at him.

That said, I've never actually had him stay on that pillar in the middle. Though I do recommend saving your "free" mount for when you get him to that point. The knockdown will clear his whirlwinds I believe (at least they have when I've done this) and you'll get some good free damage.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about it. It's been a long time since I've raged on a boss. Which makes the game that good. Joined up a SOS and got the kill. Had him to his nest once I entered. Works for me!

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
I have actually loved the progression jumps in this. To be at a cap and unknowingly progressing in the background while at that threshold (rather than "wasting" all those quests), then immediately jumping all the way to the next cap when you beat the key quest... feels prettaayy good

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This game is simply incredible. I've played a ton of other MH but this is something else. Capcom has a massive massive hit on their hands.

My entire fiends list is on this game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Effluvial Expert prevents the ticking damage over time, but Effuvial Resistance prevents the buildup, which causes the HP halving effect. The two are separate, and Resistance is more useful for Vaal since you're surrounded with Effluvia basically all the time, assuming melee.

Oh I get it now. I'll be damned if I'm gonna craft some Effluvial resistant armor just for him though. I beat him pretty easily in my last fight with him just now with a few people that knew what they were doing. Just gotta be a little cautious.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Spent way too much (~12k points?) melding Dung Pods rather than collecting/farming them manually. But now research income is absurdly slow since I'm not doing Expeditions anymore, and because people tend to be better/faster at killing, there are fewer opportunities for Large Wyvern Tears from elder dragon hunts.

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I farmed Bazelguese so much tonight trying to get the Gem with no avail. God, must have gone through 11 or 12 kills.

In other news, Hammer is really fun.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I farmed Bazelguese so much tonight trying to get the Gem with no avail. God, must have gone through 11 or 12 kills.

In other news, Hammer is really fun.

Pfffft only 11 kills? Kushala Daora's Gem took me a good 20 something kills maybe. At least that's what it felt like. Horribly unlucky. I can make 200k zenny right now with its scales alone.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Ugh I cut two nergi tails and both times got gems, I don't want gems I want tails >:[, three other attempts I just couldn't get it cut, blerg

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
I need a nice wireless headset / adapter for BT headsets for my PS4 for this.

The earbud is killing me...
Any recommendations?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Someone I havent seen in years just texted me today about how awesome this game is and asked me to get it and play with him. I'm going to get it this week. I've been saving money and I told myself I just need one game right now: bayonetta on switch (its 2 games. shut up.), But I'm going to get monster Hunter instead and pick up bayo later on.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nergigante down! First quest where I actually carted 3 times and failed. His aerial dive bomb is probably the most bullshit I've seen in any game. The only way to reliably dodge it is through the dive roll but I can't do it because he fuckings roars and stuns me before doing an animation with a 3 second wind up. I have no idea how I'm going to farm him consistently.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Nergigante down! First question where I actually carted 3 times and failed. His aerial dive bomb is probably the most bullshit I've seen in any game. The only way to reliably dodge it is through the dive roll but I can't do it because he fuckings roars and stuns me before doing an animation with a 3 second wind up. I have no idea how I'm going to farm him consistently.
Can you use the Superman dive? That one has a lot of i-frames.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Made a start on this last night.

Was worried about base Xbox performance but it's all good.

It's all very confusing though, so much to take in. I hope it all clicks because if it doesn't after say, 10 hours, then I'm trading it in.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Can you socket and remove gems at will without losing them, or do you need to destroy them to change? I haven't worried much about armour yet in HR (just at the point where I need to sight all of the dragons in the Elder Recess) but I know I'll need to sooner or later and I'm curious if I can tinker with slotting without constantly needing a new supply of gems.

So - just some advice, while you have the opportunity, spend some time following the horse around grab his prints and amass a bunch of investgations you can use down the road after you kill the thing."
Can you abandon this quest and keep doing the investigations? I'd be happy enough to hold onto it (when I get it) to assist others because it doesn't actually stop you from progressing right? I mean HR would be at 49 but it'll be increasing in the background.

Spent way too much (~12k points?) melding Dung Pods rather than collecting/farming them manually. But now research income is absurdly slow since I'm not doing Expeditions anymore, and because people tend to be better/faster at killing, there are fewer opportunities for Large Wyvern Tears from elder dragon hunts.
I only started doing this last night so can't speak for its effectiveness yet, but apparently requesting consumable items from the Argosy can net you dung pods.

Last edited:

Tenjin

Dec 3, 2017
My Hunting Horn Experiences is continuing ... I'm always hoping the Doot Doot for Earplugs against Teo and Nerg or the Doot Doot for Wind pressure negated for Kushala is appreciated. Sadly I was part of several failed attempts (I did only faint once, but with felyne insurance :D) because of the "1 faint only limit" ... maybe I should try to solo the tempered dragons ...

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question:

Are higher rarity weapons automatically better? For the longsword in particular, is it worth making the best possible versions of every sword, even if they cap out at rarity 6 or 7?

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Can you socket and remove gems at will without losing them, or do you need to destroy them to change? I haven't worried much about armour yet in HR (just at the point where I need to sight all of the dragons in the Elder Recess) but I know I'll need to sooner or later and I'm curious if I can tinker with slotting without constantly needing a new supply of gems.
Yeah switch them around as much as you want.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, you can remove gems from your equipment at will. It's great. Also you don't need to go to weaponsmith to attach your gem. You can just do it from your item box.

Status
Not open for further replies.