• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Reading your second paragraph I thought, "I bet it's Anjanath". Your fourth paragraph confirmed it.

Anjanath is the first difficult fight. It will take some practice if this is your first experience. It is also the only monster in the game where I still cannot completely predict what it will do even after playing this game for almost 200 hours.
We figured that was it partially that, but we also felt like the juratodo was a pretty awful fight even though it wasn't as difficult. We read the field guide and it said to "coerce" it to solid ground instead of fighting it in the swamp but neither of us could get it to do anything other than go from one swamp to another.

It's not that we're failing so much as we're not getting any new information. It's helpful to know that there are signs that we're just not picking up on, so I'll try to keep an eye out for that.

If I understand correctly, monsters can get tired out independently from their health going down? If that's the case, it's a concept that's kind of new to me, since most games I've played only take a health bar into account.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We figured that was it partially that, but we also felt like the juratodo was a pretty awful fight even though it wasn't as difficult. We read the field guide and it said to "coerce" it to solid ground instead of fighting it in the swamp but neither of us could get it to do anything other than go from one swamp to another.

It's not that we're failing so much as we're not getting any new information. It's helpful to know that there are signs that we're just not picking up on, so I'll try to keep an eye out for that.

If I understand correctly, monsters can get tired out independently from their health going down? If that's the case, it's a concept that's kind of new to me, since most games I've played only take a health bar into account.

I haven't delved into charts and all that, but the game does indicate that blunt damage exhausts monsters. There is also an armor skill (stamina thief) that increases this weapons based exhaustion.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh sure, I like that it shows that stuff too but I'd just like to see damage numbers along with it.

If not the exact numbers, then just say who was the top damage dealer at least.

Also, I'd like to see that info on guild cards. Have it show how many times you've broken the most parts in a quest, the most buffs etc.

I just really like looking at statistics lol.

I agree with this. Listing out both support values and damage values would let me know that I'm for example not doing something right if I'm using a high dps weapon yet consistently dishing out the least amount of damage in my party.

If people are concerned that it would hurt peoples feelings than that information can be private.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was a good idea to lock hero shards to 4 monsters, I feel like I'm hunting the same thing over and over. I don't remember repeating the same monsters this much in 3U/4U/Gen.

Yeah I've been seeing increasing complaints about this the past few days as more people hit the postgame. The endgame in this one is really poorly designed; every valuable decoration and streamstone is bottlenecked behind the same four monsters.

There are some changes they could make with patches but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
broke 150 hours, currently playing Lance,Hammer,GS,Bow and now SnS as well.

Mostly a GS main tho, completed my Elementless GS build with Great Wyvern Jawblade yesterday.
Did some speedruns on Nerg(3:21) and Tempered Ododoggo(3:34), feels good so far but I still miss my True Charges too often.
Next upgrade will be a triple augmented Barroth Shredder GS!

Yeah I've been seeing increasing complaints about this the past few days as more people hit the postgame. The endgame in this one is really poorly designed; every valuable decoration and streamstone is bottlenecked behind the same four monsters.

There are some changes they could make with patches but I'm not getting my hopes up.

For decos I don't feel like you need to do temp elders, I've gotten a few rare decos from tier 2 tempered quests.
Haven't gotten hero streamstones from those yet tho, only warriors from tier 2 tempereds, only hero I have is from tempered Nerg

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
SunhiLegend So do you just play without HUD all the time? I hate HUDs, but I cant deal with no HUD in this game :(
Yeah I have the HUD and damage numbers disabled. I did play for a few hours with the HUD on first to get used to it but for me anyway it's completely fine playing with it disabled. Don't need the map due to the scoutflies and if need can bring it up using the touchpad, stamina you kinda know when you need to stop running same with sharpness, usually when the monster goes off to another area just sharpen weapon, poison effects show on your character, damage numbers don't really need. Health bar is the big one, that's when it becomes a problem sometimes, if I could just enable that only that would be perfect. Depending on the hit I kinda know when to take a potion or mega potion, for each new monster though I did go into the fight with the HUD enabled to see what kind of damage certain attacks do, then I'll disable the HUD again but with the knowledge of when I would need to take a potion.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wearing the Kirin HR set, Thunder Mantle, and I have 3 Thunder resist gems on my gear. Just doesn't cut it.

I know it's ugly but you can also try the Uragaan armor set for the extra guard and see if that helps.

Just hit Kirin with 1-2 hits and move out of the way on small, flat areas, rinse and repeat and eventually you will slowly wear it down.
Wait for those map areas where you can take advantage of the terrain and you could try a combo or mount but it's almost suicidal doing this!
Wing back to the camp and restock on food and potions if necessary.
When it sleeps use mega bombs

Hattori

Oct 25, 2017
at first I wasn't a big fan of leviathan's fury GS, but it has since grown on me and it might be the closest thing to my favorite go-to GS, the Pale Kaiser

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my first weapon streamstone... for IG and bow. I swear this game goes out of its way to make sure the first one you get is for weapons you don't use lol

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I wish the game showed how much damage each person did after you complete a quest. I'd like to know how much I'm actually contributing.
I am sometimes mildly curious as well but I kind of prefer it not being there. I think this is a bad way of gauging contribution. Contributing doesn't mean strict damage output. For instance if you have someone dedicated on cutting the tail their damage is not going to show as high as those dedicated to hitting weakspots every time the monster is down. However taking that tail gives you a chance to carve a rare material which is arguably more important and it gives the weakspots more space for others to go in and do damage. The same can be said for other tasks such as breaking parts, applying statuses or simply taking aggro. Insect Glaive is a fantastic example. They have dust debuffs or healing that can be very useful as well as their ability to rack up Mounting damage and get mounts which limits the monster's movements then brings them down for some serious beating. With a stat like that it will lead too many people into striving for being the highest damage dealer which will lead to worse plays in my opinion. Not to mention sometimes you just don't get to hit the monster as much as others, you get dropped off somewhere else and have to disengage from a Bazel or something. By the time you get to the target monster it might be enraged from the damage others have done already. Trying to up your contribution at this point can be a bad idea.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be one of the most frustrating days in MH that I've had. I can't kill anything. I try to farm monsters I've beaten in the past and fail. I tried to join some sos missions to help and fail. I've tried different weapons and fail. Completely frustrating.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be one of the most frustrating days in MH that I've had. I can't kill anything. I try to farm monsters I've beaten in the past and fail. I tried to join some sos missions to help and fail. I've tried different weapons and fail. Completely frustrating.

It happens... I've entered an SOS and died twice and decided to make a quick exit because of that..

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

I've spent a good amount of time in the end game and today it hit me that I've killed nothing but Vaal and a few other elders sprinkled in and I have not gotten ONE good decoration or a hero shard for a weapon that I use. The only good decos that I have are from melding. I can only get poison coat so many times before I realize it's not worth it. Maybe they need to considerably boost the reward slots for elders. Two rewards 90% of the time is shitty. 4+ is usually 2players only and that's like a "lol Welp, time to do this solo to make it super easy and screw sharing the wealth."

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
QkO9ZyX.gif

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Poison is unequivocally better than thunder against Kushala, right? Even with a better thunder weapon, the way poison affects Kushala seems to make it better. I'm farming right now and looking for quick kills. (Obv. flash pods)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Poison is unequivocally better than thunder against Kushala, right? Even with a better thunder weapon, the way poison affects Kushala seems to make it better. I'm farming right now and looking for quick kills. (Obv. flash pods)

I think flashing him, mounting and shooting Crystalburst (to stagger him) also weakens his wind aura ?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Pink rathian mission starts. Forgot to eat.

5 seconds in, get charged and knocked over. As I'm getting up, get fire blasted. Dead less than 10 seconds in, ha.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I am sometimes mildly curious as well but I kind of prefer it not being there. I think this is a bad way of gauging contribution. Contributing doesn't mean strict damage output. For instance if you have someone dedicated on cutting the tail their damage is not going to show as high as those dedicated to hitting weakspots every time the monster is down. However taking that tail gives you a chance to carve a rare material which is arguably more important and it gives the weakspots more space for others to go in and do damage. The same can be said for other tasks such as breaking parts, applying statuses or simply taking aggro. Insect Glaive is a fantastic example. They have dust debuffs or healing that can be very useful as well as their ability to rack up Mounting damage and get mounts which limits the monster's movements then brings them down for some serious beating. With a stat like that it will lead too many people into striving for being the highest damage dealer which will lead to worse plays in my opinion. Not to mention sometimes you just don't get to hit the monster as much as others, you get dropped off somewhere else and have to disengage from a Bazel or something. By the time you get to the target monster it might be enraged from the damage others have done already. Trying to up your contribution at this point can be a bad idea.

Exactly my point. Reckless play and carting will see a big boom in PUGs.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have the HUD and damage numbers disabled. I did play for a few hours with the HUD on first to get used to it but for me anyway it's completely fine playing with it disabled. Don't need the map due to the scoutflies and if need can bring it up using the touchpad, stamina you kinda know when you need to stop running same with sharpness, usually when the monster goes off to another area just sharpen weapon, poison effects show on your character, damage numbers don't really need. Health bar is the big one, that's when it becomes a problem sometimes, if I could just enable that only that would be perfect. Depending on the hit I kinda know when to take a potion or mega potion, for each new monster though I did go into the fight with the HUD enabled to see what kind of damage certain attacks do, then I'll disable the HUD again but with the knowledge of when I would need to take a potion.

That makes sense, I agree with all of that. I just cant deal with not having the HP show up at all. Hopefully they can patch in some more options. haha

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have the Thunderproof mantle? It's pretty much necessary to take it on. Turns attacks that hit for 75% into ones that hit for like 30%.
My armor was -10 thunder resistance, no thunderproof mantle and no thunder resist decorations and I beat tempered Kirin. How? By not being greedy. Greed gets people killed by Kirin constantly.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, do you unlock titles like in the older games for killing a monster x number of times?
Yep. For normal big monsters you unlock them every 20 kills (I assume you get the final title for a monster after killing 100 of it) and for elders you get them every 10 kills (I assume you get the final title for an elder after killing 50 of it).

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I spent 30 minutes tops picking up tracks when I unlocked tempered Kirin and 40-50 hours later I still have a bunch of tempered elder dragon quests available to me. It's crazy that the small amount of time I spent doing that made me drown in those quests. I don't know what it feels like NOT to have those quests.

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys host 9* Quest lobbies on the regular? Definitely itching for some more social hunting after basically going solo since completing the game. I've gotten a lot of satisfaction out of tackling many of the Tempered monsters on my own but when it comes to actually getting frequency of loot (and investigation variety) I'm at a total loss.

The guys I was playing with initially seem to have burnt out, my flame is still going though, I want to get better decorations and really flesh out a build of my own.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys host 9* Quest lobbies on the regular? Definitely itching for some more social hunting after basically going solo since completing the game. I've gotten a lot of satisfaction out of tackling many of the Tempered monsters on my own but when it comes to actually getting frequency of loot (and investigation variety) I'm at a total loss.

The guys I was playing with initially seem to have burnt out, my flame is still going though, I want to get better decorations and really flesh out a build of my own.

Have you tried the Discord?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok, just saw Arekk's video on LS. I said before I've been using CB and Hammer for 107hours. Time for a change.

LS it is. Looks dope.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow lol the charge with the lance is blowing my mind.
  • It's a fantastic way to get around quickly
  • Fleeing injured monsters are basically sitting ducks. They move fast and slow enough to keep the hits going for a few seconds
  • Buffing your stamina + charge through monster + reverse direction + charge through x however long you can. Fun, feels like jousting
Got the materials for the Nergal Impaler, now I gotta get that zenny.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
There is a simple loop for guaranteed tempered elder traces. Ancient Forest, North East camp, trace near Rathalos nest. Jump to Coral Island, North East Camp Some trace on the left when leaving camp. Go straight up to Elder Recess, Eastern camp, Top of the map for the last. I'm repeating this and gather things on the way, unlocked many investigations. I also collect these after a mission if I was on one of those maps.

They need to make those hero stones drop from any 50+ monsters though.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
So hr 35, did the double bezel quest, farmed a bit and am happy with my selection of gear and weapons, and for the first time Im feeling directionless, nothing to persue. Is the game effectively over?

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't have a ton of time to play during the week, but I switched from GS to Hammer and I'm having a blast. I love how mobile it is and how easily you can dominate monsters with it. Flipping off the wall with it never gets old.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
wow lol the charge with the lance is blowing my mind.
  • It's a fantastic way to get around quickly
  • Fleeing injured monsters are basically sitting ducks. They move fast and slow enough to keep the hits going for a few seconds
  • Buffing your stamina + charge through monster + reverse direction + charge through x however long you can. Fun, feels like jousting
Got the materials for the Nergal Impaler, now I gotta get that zenny.

It still makes me laugh every time I do it. Chasing a poor limping Nerg with 1000 sprinting Lance Dash pokes cracks me up. Same with dashing into downed monsters and just racking up hits because the game won't allow you to pass through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.