• "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maker

Nov 15, 2017
Still reading The Last Wish (and playing Witcher 3)

Goodreads got rid of their 'share this book' function didn't they?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
9200000079416369.jpg

50 pages in the Dutch translation of (the first part of) Murakami's latest. I can't say much yet (book is 500 pages long), except that it is vintage Murakami in it's description of normal, middle-age life, mixed with a sense of unease and a fluid border between reality and the subconsious. It's been very absorbing for now (I mean, I read 50 pages allready, while I usually only manage to do 20 a day), even though not much has happened yet. It wanders, only to linger on details, but it is very evocative and intriguing.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back into my readings:

Slowly getting through What is the What. I have a soft spot for stories involving African countries, especially one where the protagonist has to adjust to a new environment (in this case, Sudan to Atlanta). I remember my university having most students read this book, and now I understand why, since my school was the definition of Yuppie. Only a tenth of the way through it, but it's special.

I'm also reading Jewish Literacy (the third revised edition). I've been flirting with converting for the past couple years, and I decided to finally pull the trigger on this one. Now I simply need to find a solid translation of the Torah, so I can read the primary source first and then the interpretation.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot of nonfiction, and I almost never post about it here because I rarely saw anyone else ever post anything about it. Right now I'm on a fiction binge, but I usually alternate back and generally read 60:40 nonfiction.
You and me both, I probably read almost exclusively non-fiction for like two years before getting back into fiction last year thanks to Rendezvous With Rama

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend fans of Blade Runner to pick up this gem:
Art-Soul-BR-1.jpg

Beautiful stills and concept art aside, it contained a lot of information about the creative process of 2049. I can't wait for the UHD BD to drop.

Kawl

Oct 25, 2017
Crushed out a couple of books this week following grabbing 5 or 6 books from the cyber Monday sale.

Finished Penric and the Shaman. I continue to be completely enamored with Bujold's stuff. I think I might actually like the fantasy stuff she writes more than Vorkosgian which I'm quite surprised by. Does the Penric series stay as strong through the next few entries?

Finally got around to finishing The Silver Pigs after having it for several years. It's a private eye book set in the Roman Empire. I think it came recommended a while back along with the Vlad Taltos series for people who liked the Dresden Files. It was pretty good. Already bought the next in the series. Seeing how many entries the series has is a bit overwhelming though...

Finished the Husband's Secret in about a day. It was typical Liane Moriaty fare, much like Big Little Lies. Entertaining but nothing out of this world.

Also, finally read the Forever War which was a huge blind spot in my SFF canon. Different than what I expected and definitely saw the similarities with Old Man's War. How are the follow ups/direct sequel?

Mask

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty sure I liked this book more than you did, but I will say that I also liked the second book even more, and that it definitely doesn't end up being more of the same.
When I was about 70 - 80% done the book I was interested in jumping right into the next one. But other than some loose ends the book wraps up nicely (which I usually prefer than just a straight cliff hanger). I'll read the sequel eventually just need some time off from the exhausting (don't mean that in a bad way) pace and battles.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend fans of Blade Runner to pick up this gem:
Art-Soul-BR-1.jpg

Beautiful stills and concept art aside, it contained a lot of information about the creative process of 2049. I can't wait for the UHD BD to drop.

I've had my sights on this one for a while now. I love art books like these (I own most of the Pixar's, and those of recent Star Wars next to some game artbooks). Held it off because it was quite expensive, but with the holidays coming up I'll bite and order it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm just catching up on some King short stories I missed:

10579.jpg

So far so good, I'm enjoying it. All of the good and bad things about King's writing are here.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second Bosch book by Michael Connelly - The Black Ice. They're really great if you're into that sort of hard-boiled detective thing.

I'm also reading Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. It's hilarious and the prose is really fun to read, reminds me of Nabokov.

Lastly I'm slogging my way through Command and Control by Eric Schlosser, a book about the history of nuclear weapons that a mod recommended either here or on the previous forum. It's good, but very long and descriptive.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be v keen to read Roadside Picnic, someone from Ausera was recommending it to me recently ~

I finished Ubik last month which was absolutely excellent! craving some more sweet, mind-fuck sci fi

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Finished A Wild Sheep Chase.

Glad I stuck with it as it was enjoyable overall.

Have come away wondering what the heck happened though...

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Finished A Wild Sheep Chase.

Glad I stuck with it as it was enjoyable overall.

Have come away wondering what the heck happened though...
It's the third book in a trilogy (forgive me if you're already aware of that), preceded by Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973. It's a great standalone novel, but I find that it flows much better if you're coming from those books and is familiar with the relationship of the main character with the Rat.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished Hold the Dark. Right after I finished it I really liked it, but the further away I get from it the more I think it was pretty dumb.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Reading The Blade Itself for the first time.

Oh my GOD is this delightful. Abercrombie is one of the most economical writers I've read, particularly in the fantasy genre. His prose is quick, snappy, and there isn't a single wasted word, either in dialogue or description.

The characters are fantastic, the world is exciting, and the action is absurdly good. I've slept on this series for too long and it's living up to expectations mightily thus far.

48n1em3.jpg

By this point, anyone picking up a Sarah Waters novel has a certain number of reasonable expectation as to its contents. The Paying Guests doesn't fail to contain those things, such as LGBT representation and a Gothic-tinged tone that has one expecting bad things to happen even when the plot thus far would not otherwise lend itself to such speculations. Waters has strayed somewhat from her familiar Victorian oeuvre here, instead bringing us into the interwar period and a suburban London full of returned servicemen and families struggling with the aftermath of the Great War. The setting is as vivid as in Waters' other works (she has a keen eye for the mundane details of household maintenance), and she's probably the foremost chronicler of the psychological effects of women living in straitened circumstances we have. My main reservation about the novel pertains to the very ending, which can't help but feel like a pulled punch given the preceding 200 or so pages, notwithstanding that Waters' goal in writing the story seems to have been less about bringing her protagonist to make a choice than it is about examining the psychological effects of going through a deception upon her.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading strange dogs by the corey Bros in anticipation of persepolis rising later this month. It's okay thus far. Never really been a fan of child narrators, and the guys aren't really doing a very good job of it here with them constantly breaking script to have this little girl give a scientific answer and discription befiting a college kid lol The story itself is fine though. Bought it when it came out but been kicking the can down the road on it.

Probably gonna read ubik by pkd, sheep look up by j Brunner, or left hand of darkness by uk le guin next.

As for the book club I just read roadside picnic a few months ago so I'll likely check out Ridley Walker or that ishigo book instead. Roadside picnic rocks though, y'all in for a treat :-D

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Re-reading Excession which is the fifth of Iain Banks' Culture novels and one of my favourites in the series.

excession_by_edmonddantes9285-dbvnxzj.jpg

Then, I'll be tackling two novels written by Joris-Karl Huysmans; Là-Bas (The Damned) and À rebours (Against Nature).

51mor_zf11l__sx322_bo1_204_203_200__by_edmonddantes9285-dbvny03.jpg

againstnature_by_edmonddantes9285-dbvnxzs.jpg

paranoidhero

Oct 27, 2017
Howdy ReadingEra I just finished

WordsOfRadianceCover.png

I started reading this book months ago but video games derailed a quick reading of it. It was a pretty good follow up to the Way of Kings. These books however always seem so daunting to read but Sanderson keeps it interesting most of the way through.

Currently reading

220px-Haruki_murakami_hardboiled_9780679743460.jpg

This is my third murakami book and boy is it weird.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to start the dark tower but a friend said to read the stand first. The only edition I can find is the uncut version which adds like 400 pages. Is it worth reading the uncut version or is that really just King meandering about with extras that don't enhance the story?

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
This poll is neck and neck, Never Let Me Go keeps catching up.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
I was going to start the dark tower but a friend said to read the stand first. The only edition I can find is the uncut version which adds like 400 pages. Is it worth reading the uncut version or is that really just King meandering about with extras that don't enhance the story?

What's interesting is that some of the uncut chapters ended up being my favorite and most memorable of the whole story, so I'd definitely recommend reading the unabridged edition. The part that meanders is really in both editions anyway, so you may as well go big.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Finished Red Rising last night and moved on to Golden Son, the second book in the series.

Can't put them down.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Your name [makoto shinkai]
tumblr_onjl9jTEyi1rtolgbo1_540.jpg

Your name is a likable story of a boy and girl who are struggling to find love and make it by in a world that is busy and bigger than you or me. On one level it offers short snippets of their daily lives in their respective areas, Taki in the middle of a big city and Mitsuha in the rural mountain town. Both offer the usual aspects of high school life, friendships, responsibilities, and future thinking, but I found the shrine maiden aspect to Mitsuha to be a bit more compelling in some ways than the usual high school hijinks of Taki (however Taki is one that is more familiar territory).

The book kind of started really slow and weak as the body switching hijinks felt kind of hard to nail initially, however, once it expanded after they began to realize what was happening to them and they each had to solve random problems in each others lives it really took off. I found myself cheering for them and wishing the best for them.
The big moment of the book and the second half was extremely interesting and a page turner. I honestly went through the remaining hundred pages in only a few hours as I couldn't put it down.

I however do wish the book was expanded by about 50 pages simply to better explain the resolution. It felt like some parts of the resolution could have been explained. I also think it would have led to a few interesting discussions too, for example, how did Teshi continued to convince people to move, or how did Mitsuha convince her dad? I think these were important. And on the other end, how did Okudera and Tsukasa confront Taki after he ran away from them.
Overall it was a good read.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
What's interesting is that some of the uncut chapters ended up being my favorite and most memorable of the whole story, so I'd definitely recommend reading the unabridged edition. The part that meanders is really in both editions anyway, so you may as well go big.
Cool, I'll check it out. Is it necessary to read before the dark tower?

Oct 26, 2017

Oh my GOD is this delightful. Abercrombie is one of the most economical writers I've read, particularly in the fantasy genre. His prose is quick, snappy, and there isn't a single wasted word, either in dialogue or description.

The characters are fantastic, the world is exciting, and the action is absurdly good. I've slept on this series for too long and it's living up to expectations mightily thus far.
Abercrombie is one of my faves. If you like The First Law trilogy, definitely read the stand-alones in the same universe. He has really honed his craft.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Still slowly working my way through All The Birds In The Sky. Enjoying it so far but it's not really grabbing me.

Anders_All_the_Birds_in_the_Sky.jpg

It's a December tradition:

Yeah, this is going to be my next read too. Love that book.
"In a universe so full of wonders they have managed to invent boredom" is still one of my favourite quotes ever.

WildCard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 100 pages into Naomi Novik's Uprooted. It seems interesting so far, but I can't decide whether I actually like it or not. It seems to get a lot of love online.

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017

Good, good. Just hope you'll like the trilogy's conclusion too. I loved it, but it's a bit divisive.

mu cephei

Oct 26, 2017
I can't decide what to read >:(
I have a copy of both Roadside Picnic and Ridley Walker, so if either is picked for the bookclub, I'm probably in for that.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got round to reading (and devouring) this:

51FJ7YpmJAL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Billed as the final episode in the season (Danielewski is trying - and succeeding - to write a book that has the same form and concepts of a television series) this continued his delve into how a series of different lives are changed by a small white cat. It's a weird book to read, particularly if you've forgotten all but the main plot points of the previous 4. However, he has a way of writing it so that you quickly remember who each of the main characters are, what their basic motivations are and how they tie into the overall story. There are also moments that made me literally gasp - for example
Xanther stops jinijng from grabbing the cat and a sonic boom ripples through the pages, it also destroys the fabric of the book as the little images that have been in the middle of the page start to ripple outwards as well

I can't really fathom how he's going to keep this up for a planned 27 or so volumes but I can't wait to see him try!

On to - and very excited about - this:
dark-souls-beyond-death.jpg

Massive fan of the Souls series and I'm interested to see a literary theory style book about them - flicking through it last night I saw a reference to Norse Mythology and Sufi Mysticism!

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Finished Jade City by Fonda Lee last night and it was a struggle to get through. Way too slow early on, and by the time it got to what should have been the good parts, it was such a predictable "triads style" book.

Now reading through Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle and the graphic novel, Nimona

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 300 pages into Stephen King's The Stand. Really enjoying it so far.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
150 pages in the dutch translation of the new Haruki Murakami (The Murder of Commendatore)

I like it enough te have progressed that far in 4 days (I need to make time to read), but my early expectation and appreciation for it has dwindled a bit. Nothing much has happened yet plotwise, as Murakami dwindles more than usual on details and little train of thoughts. There is also a lot of repetition, where previous events are rementioned and retold again and again. It's clearly intentional, as the POV is from somebody telling a story and letting his mind take him where it brings him, sometimes in loops, but it makes the book feel more drawn out than need be (this is till the first part of 2 too). I feel a good editor would have scrapped quite a lot or could've brought it back in focus.

Still a good, evocative read though. It's just that a third way in, it still feels like it's just running up to the real start.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About a quarter of the way through Ubik by PKD, and damn I love this book!

Don't really get the complaints about it being too hard to understand though. If you've ever read a William Gibson book and got through it okay, you'll be more than fine here.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Ubik is so good. I finished it pretty recently and it's astounding how well it holds up. PKD is probably the most forward thinking author when it comes to Sci-Fi. It's astonishing to realize that it was written in 1969.

Status
Not open for further replies.