• "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maker

Nov 15, 2017
Finished The Last Wish (Witcher book 1) and started The Dry. I'm only about 12% in so far but its already pretty compelling.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Ubik is so good. I finished it pretty recently and it's astounding how well it holds up. PKD is probably the most forward thinking author when it comes to Sci-Fi. It's astonishing to realize that it was written in 1969.
Yep. PKD, Lem, and UK Le Guin are my scifi holy trinity, and all of them wrote around the same timeframe. Crazy to think about, really.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was looking for something lighter and breezy to read, so I decided to pick up YA series Wardstone Chronicles, since thanks to Punisher on Netflix I remembered the bad 7th son movie and lamentations of book fans about how much it bastarized the source material :D
Wardstone-Chronicles-Last-Apprentice-by-Joseph-Delaney.jpg

Read two first books and midway through the third. Very very nice. Absolutely wonderful world building and fun characters. Also..this shit is dark, like holly hell. Most adult fantasy novels don't have stuff this sick and twisted in them :D

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still reading the first part to the Stormlight Archive series. I really like it, but damn... The way it jumps between characters during cliffhangers is annoying. I get really invested in what's going on with one character, and don't see them for another 5 chapters or something.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie.

Was a good book, and an enjoyable read, although my enjoyment was hampered a bit because I started to guess who the killer was around halfway through the book, and I was hoping it wasn't what my gut was telling me. I feel that because I knew, the ending held less weight for me.

Otherwise, I still enjoyed it. I want to try another of her books again in the future in between some larger reads.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be taking note of these, this list was what introduced me to the fabulous The Nix last year

The Nix is fantastically good. Probably one of my favourite reads ever - that good!

I'm currently reading lots of short stories whilst I wait for the book to be decided here - although I have downloaded Roadside Picnic on my Kindle ;) Happy with Ishiguro too though!

Primarily it's been stories from Dangerous Visions. Some of the stories are really quite insane, others have been more forgettable, - literally.

My favourite so far has to be The Night That All Time Broke out by Brian. W. Aldiss.

Any other sci fi anthologies in the same vein?

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Le Guin and PKD even went to the same high school! But never met.
Ha, that's crazy!

Lem and PKD have a connection as well. Lem thought PKD was the only american scifi writer worth a damn, and even helped do the translation to polish of one of his books, but PKD apparently thought he was a dirty commie bastard lol

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
I just finished Nancy Kress's Tomorrow's Kin, which was okay but not great. It's the first in a series that looks to span a long time and a lot of distance, but the first book doesn't get a lot done.

I just started reading Ann Leckie's newest, Provenance, which takes place in the same universe as her Ancillary series, although it features different characters who are, in some respects, dealing with the fallout from the Ancilary novels. Good so far, and just as alien and weird as I'd expect a Raadchai novel to be.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I just started reading Ann Leckie's newest, Provenance, which takes place in the same universe as her Ancillary series, although it features different characters who are, in some respects, dealing with the fallout from the Ancilary novels. Good so far, and just as alien and weird as I'd expect a Raadchai novel to be.

I enjoyed Provenance as well - it's a bit less sweeping and ambitious than the Ancillary trilogy, but that makes sense for a stand-alone novel, and I liked seeing the universe from a perspective outside Raadchai society.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone checked out this month's Kindle First picks?

Don't normally but got reading A River in Darkness by Masaji Ishikawa and its interesting.

It's a (translated) memoir from someone who escaped North Korea.

Fairly harrowing stuff.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone checked out this month's Kindle First picks?

Don't normally but got reading A River in Darkness by Masaji Ishikawa and its interesting.

It's a (translated) memoir from someone who escaped North Korea.

Fairly harrowing stuff.
Yeah I picked that up too, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounded really interesting.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I picked that up too, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounded really interesting.

Definitely worth a read.

Nowhere near finished but it's such an interesting story and really shines a spotlight on the everyday experience in NK.

Have we decided on a book yet?

I have Roadside Picnic ready to go!

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm guessing a few of us have already read some of those items, why not just pick both roadside picnic and that ishiguro book?

Ravensmash ill bump it up to next read then, sounds like a great read.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up some sci-fi over the weekend: first three books in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series and Lavie Tidhar's Central Station

The latter is an anthology of stories all set in and around a bustling spaceport in posthuman future Tel Aviv, showcasing different facets of life and culture in this future. The former is a hard sci-fi series that thrusts the reader into a post-first contact world, where humans are the aliens and isolated settlers on a alien world, and the protagonist is the ambassador living among the alien's society.

25986774.jpg
57043.jpg

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone pick up the newest expanse book, Persepolis Rising?

Just noticed it in my library and can't wait to start it!

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
About a quarter of the way through Ubik by PKD, and damn I love this book!

Don't really get the complaints about it being too hard to understand though. If you've ever read a William Gibson book and got through it okay, you'll be more than fine here.

Ugh, Ubik is so good. I finished it pretty recently and it's astounding how well it holds up. PKD is probably the most forward thinking author when it comes to Sci-Fi. It's astonishing to realize that it was written in 1969.

Mm, I finished it recently too and couldn't get over how good it was. I'm so excited to dive into more of his work, he's just such an excellent writer, so ahead of his time

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Mm, I finished it recently too and couldn't get over how good it was. I'm so excited to dive into more of his work, he's just such an excellent writer, so ahead of his time
Yeah, I'm definitely planning on taking a deep dive into his bibliography after I finish out my current backlog. I'll probably pick up The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch or Martian Time Slip next, as I've heard great things about those two.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I recently finished Claws and Fangs, The Witcher short stories collection written by fans. That collection was recently released in Poland as a 30th anniversary celebration of The Witcher series. It was quite cool, few short stories were a standout, especially the first few with Geralt and the one with Dandelion.

I'm currently reading Star Wars: Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover. It's not canon anymore, but it is an interesting novel that gives a lot of backstory for Mace Windu. I wasn't really expect the story to be that dark though.

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
Woo, book club is back! Would be nice to know the pick going into the month, as I think has been mentioned.

This was a hit among several of us on the old forum. I believe Mumei was the first to mention it and began a bit of a frenzy for a month or two. It's a truly fantastic book. Understated, subtle, and an amazing protagonist.
I recommended it to Mumei. :P Although he might've been the one that kicked off the frenzy, I don't remember. In any case I love it, it's a wonderful book.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Spoiled myself with a kindle oasis to replace my long stolen Voyage, can't catch a break with perfectly uniform screen light tho as there are noticeable shifts in the lower corners.

Thing is like a feather, never held the original but I can't understand any of the weight complaints as I have medium size hands at best and don't even notice it.

Excited to get back into reading tho, picked up Autumn and Homesick for Another World and both are shorter so I'm hoping to have them finished this weekend.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and picked up Roadside Picnic and will start reading that now. Seems like a short book, so if I finish it in time I might just go ahead and read Never Let Me Go after that.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Long_Day_Lychford.jpg

Just started A Long Day in Lychford by Paul Cornell.

I have really enjoyed this series of novellas and I think they would make a fantastic tv show. They are very fast paced and have some very good underlying themes. The characters are well rounded and the dialogue is sharp and witty.

OP
OP
Tragicomedy

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woo, book club is back! Would be nice to know the pick going into the month, as I think has been mentioned.

I recommended it to Mumei. :P Although he might've been the one that kicked off the frenzy, I don't remember. In any case I love it, it's a wonderful book.

Welcome back, glory hound! ;)

Yeah, I'll have to do January's poll on an external site so I can add the February one to the next thread. Work in progress.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back, glory hound! ;)

Yeah, I'll have to do January's poll on an external site so I can add the February one to the next thread. Work in progress.

Since the two books seem to be at a dead heat, what do you think about doing one of them for this month then the other for January? Then doing Feb's book as a poll on the Jan thread?

OP
OP
Tragicomedy

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since the two books seem to be at a dead heat, what do you think about doing one of them for this month then the other for January? Then doing Feb's book as a poll on the Jan thread?

Leaning that way. I didn't expect two to be so close at the top.

I'm going to pick up Roadside Picnic tonight and start it, but Never Let Me Go is the frontrunner for January.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Still going through The Power Of the Dog. Slowly, since most of my free time is spent with XB2.

It's really goddamn good so far. I never expected it to rival The First Law books when it comes to characters with very distinct but still really believable voices, but holy shit. 20% in and it's doing just that. Especially loved the Irish part.

Very easy to pick up and read for 10 minutes every now and then too, thanks to the fairly short chapters. Definitely checking out this guy's other books too after I'm done.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Going to start Roadside Picnic tonight. Excited!

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on taking a deep dive into his bibliography after I finish out my current backlog. I'll probably pick up The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch or Martian Time Slip next, as I've heard great things about those two.

Nice! I'm not sure what to read from him next, since I've got a bit of a backlog of books accumulating very quickly. I'll have to have a think about it when I get some more time off! Those two do sound fantastic though, and might be a good place to start.

As someone mentioned too, I'd get stuck into A Scanner Darkly if you're looking for other PKD suggestions — it's one of my favourite books of all time :^)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Took me forever, but I've finished It. Loved it even more than the first time I read it more than 25 years ago - although that's perhaps thanks to the hooks that it has to The Dark Tower series.

51DLs45dIZL.jpg

The last book I picked up with Kindle Prime First (cancelled my Prime subscription), which I'll start today!

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah guys I finished ubik the other day and man what an outstanding book. That quote about heatdeath near the end...I think someone was cutting onions somewhere...

I do have a question though. While I *think* I understand the logistics behind the ending, can someone help me with understanding the metaphysics behind it?

Also on persepolis rising:

holy shit @ the 30 year time jump o.O love punished Amos though

Last edited:

Mask

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Finished The Goblin Emperor and I can't really add anything that hasn't been said here and elsewhere. I enjoyed it.

Took me a day or two to decide what to read next. Wasn't really feeling like a high action fantasy or Sci-fi. So I ended up with...

22663224.jpg

The Ploughmen
by Kim Zupan

I finished this one faster than I expected. It has an interesting premise (a convict on trial for murder forms a 'friendship' with a young Deputy through their discussion in the local jail cell), but for most of it I was just interested in the murderer's story (John Gload). With about 30% left in the book I finally started to enjoy the Deputies (Millimaki) story arc.

I'll just say if someone is going to pick up this book be ready for very...verbose descriptions of everything. Often taking a paragraph or more to wax poetically about walking through a field or staring at birds. Also you may want to keep a dictionary handy, found myself learning a lot of new words.

After The Ploughmen, I still couldn't decide what to read (I'll get around to this months book club, I promise). So I used a random number generator and it picked...

Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl: A Memoir
By Carrie Brownstein

I'm very early on. I don't really know anything about her or her band, but it sounded interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.