OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Wow, that was such a fun trailer. It felt like an action movie trailer. It doesn't fit the setting of Mortal Kombat but sure gives it a fun vibe. It also goes to highlight how crappy modern hiphop is.
The first part of the trailer I had my toe tapping and head bobbing, then the modern music kicks in and it just sounds like fucking noise.
Either way, I'm always curious to see what they do with Mortal Kombat, I'm hoping this game turns out good.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
There is a distinct lack of ninjas in the trailer.

It's really good though. Johnny cage as a character has really come together.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that was such a fun trailer. It felt like an action movie trailer. It doesn't fit the setting of Mortal Kombat but sure gives it a fun vibe. It also goes to highlight how crappy modern hiphop is.
The first part of the trailer I had my toe tapping and head bobbing, then the modern music kicks in and it just sounds like fucking noise.
Either way, I'm always curious to see what they do with Mortal Kombat, I'm hoping this game turns out good.

It was the opposite for me. I like the first track better if I'm just sitting back listening. But the trap beats fit the combat much better than chiggidy check yourself

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was kind of funny when they had the MK reveal with all the toned down designs and then Alicia Marie joined the stream with her Shao Khan cosplay going the opposite direction

You do realize there's a universe of difference between a consenting adult dressing to her own volition versus a bunch of dudes ordering artists to dress women as sex objects at a fight to the death for "boner culture".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You do realize there's a universe of difference between a consenting adult dressing to her own volition versus a bunch of dudes ordering artists to dress women as sex objects at a fight to the death for "boner culture".
You make it sound like game designers hold their artists at gunpoint.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if she'd be the one ordering the artists to model a character after her cosplay you'd be cool? I'm also not sure if it makes much sense to bring up consent when it comes to videogame characters. These characters didn't consent to a battle to the death either

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if she'd be the one ordering the artists to model a character after her cosplay you'd be cool? I'm also not sure if it makes much sense to bring up consent when it comes to videogame characters. These characters didn't consent to a battle to the death either

Because the "fight to the death" is contextual and has no engendered baggage attached to it compared to being misogynistically dressed for the sole purpose of male gaze.

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, absolutely amazing trailer. Never been a NRS game fan but this is increasingly looking too good to not check out.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but will this have the awesome equipment/visual change stuff that Injustice 2 had? That was a huge part of what got me interested.
Not quite. Each character only gets 3 items that can changed and sometimes they're stuff like belts or minor accessories. You can change colors of the base costume though and also change those objects in all available costumes, unlike in Injustice 2 where the full alternate costumes had no customization options.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because the "fight to the death" is contextual and has no engendered baggage attached to it compared to being misogynistically dressed for the sole purpose of male gaze.
All the context is created by the developers, so that's not really an argument to me. Shao Khan fights topless because that's what his people in outworld do for example.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the context is created by the developers, so that's not really an argument to me. Shao Khan fights topless because that's what his people in outworld do for example.
Except the developers went to great lengths and detail for the context of why/when/where everyone is fighting (I.e. Context) Now please show where they applied that level of context to the female MK9 designs.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but will this have the awesome equipment/visual change stuff that Injustice 2 had? That was a huge part of what got me interested.
Not quite. Each character only gets 3 items that can changed and sometimes they're stuff like belts or minor accessories. You can change colors of the base costume though and also change those objects in all available costumes, unlike in Injustice 2 where the full alternate costumes had no customization options.
It is back, though. There are 3 items per character that can be customized AND the entire outfit outside of those 3 things can be changed as well. There seem to be at least three styles of outfits with a handful of colors for each style; at least, that's what we had in the very limited stress test.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except the developers went to great lengths and detail for the context of why/when/where everyone is fighting (I.e. Context) Now please show where they applied that level of context to the female MK9 designs.
I'd say the same level of context applies to all the outfits. A topless Johnny Cage can be as easily explained as a female warrior that's dressed like Shao Khan. In MK it would for example make sense to have people from earth dress more practically while people from outworld dress, well, outlandish.
I'm not sure this really matters anyway, if these characters were just mindlessly murdering each other without context there'd still be no mention of consent.

The whole point of the cosplay pic was just that it's funny that they promoted a hardcore fan who'd take the costume design in the completely opposite direction

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
Actually it IS back and better imo. Each character has 3 different skins with different colors you can choose. The skins make them look different, instead of IJ2 where you had the same skin but just put the gear on top of them. You also can customize these 3 skins with 3 or 4 accessories, like Scorpions mask, sword and spear. You can also pick different intro's and outros for each character. And correct me if I'm wrong but you can change the in between round animation as well. Along with at least 2 fatalities for each character.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer was fantastic. Jax, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao look amazing. Don't know if anyone noticed, but Liu Kang has nunchucks.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Way to go - I'm so excited to play this story mode.

The Mortal Kombat of my childhood versus the Mortal Kombat from the last decade?

Let's go.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE this trailer. I don't really play fighting games anymore but I'm going to watch the shit out of the story on youtube.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play MKX because I have no idea what's happening in this trailer. And probably watch MK9 cutscenes because I pretty much forgot what happened in that game.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Just perfect... Already preordered Premium Ed. on Steam. Hope they deliver on PC this time

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the same level of context applies to all the outfits. A topless Johnny Cage can be as easily explained as a female warrior that's dressed like Shao Khan. In MK it would for example make sense to have people from earth dress more practically while people from outworld dress, well, outlandish.
I'm not sure this really matters anyway, if these characters were just mindlessly murdering each other without context there'd still be no mention of consent.

The whole point of the cosplay pic was just that it's funny that they promoted a hardcore fan who'd take the costume design in the completely opposite direction
Because that is a false equivalence. The fan isn't dressing like that to go fight. She's a fan and she can dress the way she pleases. And yes I know video-game characters don't consent to fighting either but the main difference is that having women fight doesn't carry any negative tropes against women while being dressed like sex objects are.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent trailer! I am so close to buying this. They are really selling this game well.

Hey Sp ! Go ahead. They're really putting everything they got into the game.

And the fact they let you custom characters a bit means you can make their look and feel however you prefer !

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I'm thinking about preordering so I atleast can play the beta this weekend.

After watching some youtube videos and Maximillians impressions, I do worry about seeing the same combo's over and over again.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The game wasn't on my radar for some reason, but after this trailer, I am very interested in it. Can anyone tell me if I require to know the story of the previous 2 MK games or can I just jump in?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really makes me think we're ready for a new MK movie. Even a MK cinematic universe. Make it happen WB.

It's already in works actually.

The game wasn't on my radar for some reason, but after this trailer, I am very interested in it. Can anyone tell me if I require to know the story of the previous 2 MK games or can I just jump in?

You definitely need to see the story from 9 and 10 to understand this. Luckily you can watch them as movies on YouTube.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
These and Injustice are the only fighting games with actual effort placed into the narrative, so I'd recommend breeezing past the first two

If you're on PC, they're both dirt cheap on CDkeys

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I didn't even catch the fact that It's 90's Hip Hop Vs modern Hip Hop to symbolise 90's mortal Kombat Vs Modern Day Mortal Kombat

Damn good trailer.