• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HYPED?!

• HELL YEAH, GET OVER HERE

Votes: 649 60.7%
  • Nope. I'm gonna stay over here thank you very much.

Votes: 190 17.8%
  • Undecided, need to see more before I head over there.

Votes: 230 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EX moves being command instead of 1 button may be pretty good for me.

Also love Sub Zero's design in this.

P6ULXai.gif

GpKYRbl.gif

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's incumbent upon the designers to negotiate between the realism and 'extremity' in a way that's convincing. As I said earlier, all the x-rays and stuff, are gruesome, but actually make the fights less immersive. Like especially when you're cracking Scorpion's ribs or something. Scorpion is supposed to be this really intimidating, demigod type of character. Like you say, his spear would kill you irl. But we're seeing his skull get smashed from someone just punching him really hard.
Welcome to video games, where NRS last game has a Harley Quinn that can beat Superman by punching him hard enough and the Ninja Turtles can overpower Darkseid.

Suspension of disbelief is the name of the game. The MK games operate on a violence spectrum of its own level like an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, and they really almost always have. MK2 introduced most of the intentionally goofy violence that you want them to regress from.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
So who did the gameplay reveal trailer music and will it feature in-game? It's very much up my street.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
It's meant to be over the top and the x-rays exist for a cinematic purpose. It gives the series an identity and the hyper-violence is part of what the series actually is. Forcing a non-realistic game to be realistic would be counter-intuitive. It can take inspiration from realism but it doesn't have to follow any "real" constraints if the devs don't want it to.

Case in point: Goro, Sheeva, Shinnok, Meat, Kintaro, Motaro, Baraka, Drahmin, Havik, Moloch, Nitara, Onaga, Cyrax, Sektor, D'Vorah, Ferra/Tor, Triborg, etc.

None of these characters follow the rules of "realism" whatsoever but NRS does a realtively good job on making them believable. Excluding Meat.
I'm not arguing for literal realism. I'm arguing for verisimilitude. The x-rays aren't effective if they're meant to be cinematic. They almost give the fights the air of a sports broadcast. Like "ohh and Sonya does a rib cruncher. That ones gotta hurt!" Again, it takes me out of the universe, and the stakes of the fight. It goes from a fight with "Mortal" stakes, to two crash dummies smashing into each other.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The day the games only go as far as the movie did with the violence then it really won't be Mortal Kombat anymore. You actually want them to hold back on the violence, not that it gets more realistic. Mortal Kombat was never about realistic violence. It was always over the top and now it's even more so.

I do see your point, however the only reason it's more baffling now it's because the graphics have gotten better. You've been doing shit that would kill a regular human since the very first game. Hell, Scorpion's spear would likely kill you in real life. Like Reptile spitting acid in people's faces. Or Kitana's fans. Or Mileena's sais. Or Baraka's chop-chop. Etc.
They don't have to 'only' go as far as the movies did. They can go further. But I'm arguing to just frame the violence differently, so it has impact, and isn't just goofy. Like there should be more portent to a fight where your character could get their head blown off, or arm chopped off, etc. To me it should be like a slasher meets a martial arts in tone.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm not arguing for literal realism. I'm arguing for verisimilitude. The x-rays aren't effective if they're meant to be cinematic. They almost give the fights the air of a sports broadcast. Like "ohh and Sonya does a rib cruncher. That ones gotta hurt!" Again, it takes me out of the universe, and the stakes of the fight. It goes from a fight with "Mortal" stakes, to two crash dummies smashing into each other.

I understand what you mean, like when a regular attack or x-ray that breaks the skull or arm of a character yet that character shrugs it off like nothing happened and continues going. It does remove you from immersion sure, but then again, games like street fighter and tekken don't follow this realism thing either. They're just less over the top.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Noticed from few of the London event vids that it was affiliated with Xbox. X

Maybe a cross-marketing deal. Makes me wonder if a series of MK fighting pads for the Xbone will come out.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of hope Liu has a "fluffy" hair option !

Also... I HATE that the fatal blows don't kill characters, they stand up and you have to "finish them". It makes it look so whack lol. It should be a fatality of its own IMO if you kill with it. Like the finisher just slo mos and they get killed. Instead of : "gets a spear in the brain, gets up, get fatality'd" .

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DxJ0NCeWkAMLKvt.jpg

Really like Johnny's design here. He looks a bit young though seeing as this is no doubt his new timeline version where he's SF affiliated.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Those meter bars combined with health bar really bug me. I can't unsee some cheesy crime show computer overlay like I'm looking through a view finder or watching a replay. I half expect to see ANALYZING... pop up lol

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have to 'only' go as far as the movies did. They can go further. But I'm arguing to just frame the violence differently, so it has impact, and isn't just goofy. Like there should be more portent to a fight where your character could get their head blown off, or arm chopped off, etc. To me it should be like a slasher meets a martial arts in tone.

I get what you're asking for, but I hard disagree. MK is fun because it's so over the top and its been that way since day 1. Maybe there's a market for the game you want, but that kind of realistic violence is absolutely not something I'd be interested in. The goofy gore is what makes this series palatable for me.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Those meter bars combined with health bar really bug me. I can't unsee some cheesy crime show computer overlay like I'm looking through a view finder or watching a replay. I half expect to see ANALYZING... pop up lol

I honestly thought the same thing when they first showed it, it looked like a stream overlay. But then after watching more and more footage, they grew on me, I barely notice them now. I can totally understand the annoyance though

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Has there been any confirmation that the game uses Unreal 4 rather than their previous engine? It doesn't 'look' like Unreal 4 but it's difficult to tell.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
DxJ0NCeWkAMLKvt.jpg

Really like Johnny's design here. He looks a bit young though seeing as this is no doubt his new timeline version where he's SF affiliated.

The faces seem to randomly switch back and forth depending on the animation. Sonya's model below is the exact same as the "soldier" Sonya for instance.

16d331a1ea2aa4d87da47dcf995237d0.png

(her face doesn't change with the costume)

Has there been any confirmation that the game uses Unreal 4 rather than their previous engine? It doesn't 'look' like Unreal 4 but it's difficult to tell.

No. It's probably a custom UE3. But a decade later it's not much like the original UE3 at all so they probably don't feel like getting into details because if casuals hear "ue3" they'll think "outdated".

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Welcome to video games, where NRS last game has a Harley Quinn that can beat Superman by punching him hard enough and the Ninja Turtles can overpower Darkseid.

Suspension of disbelief is the name of the game. The MK games operate on a violence spectrum of its own level like an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, and they really almost always have. MK2 introduced most of the intentionally goofy violence that you want them to regress from.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The faces seem to randomly switch back and forth depending on the animation. Sonya's model below is the exact same as the "soldier" Sonya for instance.

16d331a1ea2aa4d87da47dcf995237d0.png

(her face doesn't change with the costume)

Hmm, interesting. I know Sub Zero's face changes when you equip the classic look (he loses the beard) so I assumed all of the classic looks would make the characters look somewhat younger. I guess we'll see though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Hmm, interesting. I know Sub Zero's face changes when you equip the classic look (he looses the beard) so I assumed all of the classic looks would make the characters look somewhat younger. I guess we'll see though.

I'm pretty sure most characters that will meet their younger selves will have alternate faces to reflect the aging/de-aging. Cassie Cage vs Young Sonya would be dope. If they had recorded custom voice lines for specific interactions like that, that'd be even better

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure most characters that will meet their younger selves will have alternate faces to reflect the aging/de-aging. Cassie Cage vs Young Sonya would be dope. If they had recorded custom voice lines for specific interactions like that, that'd be even better
... Is it wrong that I think they could have some awkward fun with a young Johnny Cage bumping into Cassie?
6eefbd9b735a989f78d770ec98f378b6.jpg

0fc.gif

Thanks but this list is completely inaccurate and has no source at all. Injustice 2 certainly wasn't UE4. Far from a confirmation.
I have no idea, but I know that one reason people say a Switch version is even happening is Unreal 4 scales FAR easier to the Switch than Unreal 3 does.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, interesting. I know Sub Zero's face changes when you equip the classic look (he loses the beard) so I assumed all of the classic looks would make the characters look somewhat younger. I guess we'll see though.

It made perfect sense since the skins are literally skins that you can't even customize whatsoever (just pick a color variant). Maybe it's more evident in gameplay. Not sure. But we saw big close ups of her skins and they looked the same so this is strange.

That being said, in the story mode, Sonya looked significantly older. So maybe the playable one is just 30 yo Sonya and that's about it ?

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I have no idea, but I know that one reason people say a Switch version is even happening is Unreal 4 scales FAR easier to the Switch than Unreal 3 does.

Yeah, that coupled with the mention of a new engine seems to be why everyone assumed UE4. I agree with the poster above it seems to still be their same heavily modified UE3 engine. Can't help but wonder how it will do on Switch if that is the case.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think UE4 was the obvious choice due to the Switch version but then I find out that NRS still isn't handling the PC version in-house for some reason. Maybe it's because their frankenbranch of UE3 and their own tools don't have PC support for some reason (I don't thin NRS has ever made a PC game). Honestly at this point it's hard to say unless we get confirmation.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Funny you should say that, because they came straight out of Blitz: The League.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think UE4 was the obvious choice due to the Switch version but then I find out that NRS still isn't handling the PC version in-house for some reason. Maybe it's because their frankenbranch of UE3 and their own tools don't have PC support for some reason (I don't thin NRS has ever made a PC game). Honestly at this point it's hard to say unless we get confirmation.

They confirmed it was on UE4 in the BTS video.

Edit: Also in the article above.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Takeda's probably going to be DLC. His playstyle feels like it's something they can slide in there.

"You wanna play a young Scorpion/Kenshi-like character? Well he's back!!!"

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I skimmed through the thread but might have missed it...is the krypt coming back?
No mention of it yet, but we haven't seen a full breakdown of modes. We do know about:
- The overall menu is broken down into
1 - Konquer (Modes with Long-Term Goals and Rewards - we know of Story Mode and Towers Of Time, looks to be MKX's take on the Multiverse towers from Injustice 2). I'd assume you earn unlocks just from those, but it is of course possible that the gold you earn is for something like the Krypt that just hasn't been shown yet.
2 - Fight (presumed to be vs. online, including lobbies, etc. and local vs.)
3 - Kustomize (we've seen the character customization screens allowing you to choose 3 x items for your variations as well as cosmetics, shaders, intros, round taunts and victory poses
4 - Train (probably basic tutorial plus character specific tutorials, but maybe more...looks like MK11 has a lot of frame data in the pause menu now)

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

I don't think there's any official confirmation yet, by the looks of this game, it looks like it's using the same engine as Injustice 2 (UE3) with minor modifications.

I skimmed through the thread but might have missed it...is the krypt coming back?

Krypt was great, honestly I would love to see an open-world adventure mode from Deception make a return, where you go throughout the various realms and explore/fight to get unlockables. That shit was so fun and such a cool way to incorporate unlockables.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They confirmed it was on UE4 in the BTS video.

Edit: Also in the article above.

You made me waste four minutes of my life rewatching that video. :P They don't mention unreal a single time. And that "article" is a collection of disproven bullshit.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought the same thing when they first showed it, it looked like a stream overlay. But then after watching more and more footage, they grew on me, I barely notice them now. I can totally understand the annoyance though
Yeah, that's an even better comparison. Just a minor annoyance

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
But what does UE4 "look" like?

Street Fighter V is UE4
Tekken 7 is UE4
Dragon Ball FighterZ is UE4
Dragon Quest XI is UE4
Fortnite is UE4

To add to this
Octopath Traveler is UE4
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is UE4

I honestly believe Injustice 2 looked better than all of these games, so just because they upgraded to UE4 doesn't mean it's gonna be some massive step up all of a sudden.
I think the lighting for sure looks better though.

Also, I'm assuming the Switch version delay was bunk? I wish they had some footage at the event. At least some handheld displays. It worries me they aren't showing it

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm assuming the Switch version delay was bunk? I wish they had some footage at the event. At least some handheld displays. It worries me they aren't showing it
I would not be surprised if the first footage we see of it is once it's out in the wild. I'm more puzzled why none of the Nintendo-centric outlets seem to have asked anyone at NRS about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.