SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I also know lots of people who don't like MK 95 and many others who do, I can only speak for myself. It wasn't the super faithful adaptation we all wanted back then, but it was a fun movie that has some really cool fight scenes. This, on the other hand, looks like a souless, by-the-numbers Hollywood video game adaptation to me. But here's hoping I'm wrong.

I get it. However, souless by Hollywood numbers? If that was true, wouldn't this be PG13 with no fatalities or special powers? I think it was very risky for them to satisfy the fans of the series making it R Rated including what made the series infamous over the years.

Nov 1, 2017
That dark & gritty fan trailer from a decade ago kinda ruined Mortal Kombat adaptations. Since then they keep trying to make Mortal Kombat seem realistic and serious. I think they would be better off adopting something more outlandish and double down on the crazy, like Fury Road. The last few seconds gave me a bit of hope that the more serious tone may just be a trailer thing, but I'm just trying to be optimistic. Here's hoping the fight scenes are at least enjoyable.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: it's meh for me, because it's so much like the new MK games. Gritty, super-brutal but in a gritty-realistic way. Like, cool, but I don't want that from MK movie I guess :P

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really says "streaming movie"

But with what we have as precedents this might be as well the best live action fighting game movie adaptation.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This looks amazing. Idk why some people are complaining about cheesy dialogue. This movie was made for the action, everything else is just there to support it.
I also know lots of people who don't like MK 95 and many others who do, I can only speak for myself. It wasn't the super faithful adaptation we all wanted back then, but it was a fun movie that has some really cool fight scenes. This, on the other hand, looks like a souless, by-the-numbers Hollywood video game adaptation to me. But here's hoping I'm wrong.
You're never gonna get a faithful adaptation for games like this. Mainly because trying to cramp all the story of a 10+ hour video game, spanning a franchise of like two decades into a 2 hour film with a cohesive narrative is just impossible.

Plus, games get away with a lot of stuff story wise that you just can't get away with on the big screen.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Given the girl's face, the birthmark dialogue is likely to be a joke, but, reminded me of this.
90770787df73a09fbca45b9b3b40f1ed.jpg

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Also who are these people still holding a candle for fucking Reptile? Reptile was cool for the period between MK1 and MK2, then he lost his mystique. He's never going to be a mainly human character ever again, fuckin' get over it already you scaly fans.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
it has its problems but I still found it enjoyable. The sequel, on the other hand.. holy shit it's just bad. so much worse than I remembered lmao.

I remember watching it in theaters as a kid and loving it. Got an awesome, free cassette of the soundtrack when I went to go see it too.

But yeah...as poorly as MK aged (imo), the sequel is so much worse lol. The Annihilations soundtrack though? Still amazing.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looks great. Can't wait!

Shooting for an R rating and releasing primarily a red band trailer == by the numbers and soulless??

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a dumb watch just like the original and I'm perfectly fine with that.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
I'm excited but I was excited from the Power Rangers trailer too and look how that turned out.

Also, I feel like they totally could have done a Mortal Kombat Cinematic Universe but a single movie is probably for the best.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
the birthmark dialogue will clearly be better in the film, as all kombatants will have the same mark, but his is the only one that is a birthmark. Hence the confusion. The "he was born with it" reply is still silly tho :D

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
LMAO, no. Not even remotely. I agree that Kano looks dumb as hell, and Shang Tsung is very questionable, but the rest seem alright. If it's been a while since you've watched any of the previous MK films, I suggest you do so soon. The original was still "the best" of them, and it has not aged well at all. The best time to watch it was at release during the fighting game zeitgeist anyway. I just rewatched it two years ago, and aside from a few cool scenes, it's fucking terrible, and Annihilation is even worse. This film, while likely to be as weak as the original for storytelling certainly looks much better visually.
The main reason I think this one looks worse is that the original at least had a sense of humor
This looks way too self serious and completely devoid of humor
Also the fighting choreography looks terrible but it's possible it's just bad trailer editing

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fun. Some of you have such myopic visions of what you approve of when it comes to source material you will never be happy with an adaption of anything in your life methinks. Can't wait for the first trailer for HBO's Last of Us.. =/

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I can't believe anyone would care about "lore." Like MK in its current iteration is just filled with bullshit and MK11 explicitly states there are infinite timelines with different things happening. The only lore you need is a tournament and Sub Zero killing Scorpion's family. Those are the only real sacred things and the past two games have ditched the tournament angle entirely.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
i'm boycotting this until kano is the hot no deodorant wearing piss top muscle leather daddy from the games

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Am fine with the dialogue, hope they get more cheesy with it (and with the tone as a whole) actually.

WHY did they re-arrange the theme song when the 1995 high-energy techno was already perfection?!?

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
It doesn't look that great but it looks like it could be fun.

Thought the same thing, wasn't it Reptile originally and then Ermac?
In the original timeline he willingly choose to get the implants, but in the new timeline it was ermac. I think the original version his real arms where still there underneath because they were called implants rather the prosthetics, but I'm not sure about that.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun to me and the fights look legit. Proper fatalities alone make it worth the watch.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, looks fine to me. It is however coming from his left eye, instead of his right, which was where his cyber eye was originally.

Kan1.png

Kan2.png

No idea what's going on with the reflection. It shows what looks like his original cyborg face, but the beam isn't coming from his face, unless that's not supposed to be his reflection. Or it is his face, but at a later point in the film after some upgrades (or just major dermal damage), and isn't tied to the first shot.

LOL. My thoughts too when I saw that.

OOOH it's coming from the left eye, that's better then.

I thought they just forgot to connect it haha

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks fantastic. The original Mortal Kombat film was great for a movie based on Mortal fucking Kombat. Annihilation was so bad it should be written out existence.

This looks like damn good film made with a lot of love. Not much more you can ask for a movie based on Mortal fucking Kombat. I can't ask for much more and I'm excited to this. Pretty spoiler filled trailer though.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Hot take: it's meh for me, because it's so much like the new MK games. Gritty, super-brutal but in a gritty-realistic way. Like, cool, but I don't want that from MK movie I guess :P
????

How is anything past MK9 gritty-realism? The only adherence the games have to "realism" is the gore, everything else is basically an avengers movie.

I mean, I guess the outfits are less flamboyant and the character models for the female characters are more based on realistic women? But the story and presentation is still over the top fantasy action.