• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
From what I can tell, first digital release of the title.

View: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1559164680588779526?t=GqG98nI2vgYCVlM-W9ZFUA&s=19

www.gog.com

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

This successor to the arcade megahits features the meanest of the mean and the baddest of

EDIT: Kommunity patch update to support GOG release
I've purchased this on GOG yesterday and was about to refund it today after going through a lot of annoying issues like the game randomly starting to recognize my gamepad as two different players instead of just one, crashes, incorrect frame rate, unskippable logos, etc. I just thought to myself I'd rather just emulate the PS1 version, but here it is some good news...

...The author of the Kommunity patch for Trilogy just updated his work to support the GOG version:

I've updated the "Kommunity Patch" to support the GOG release. As far as I can tell, there are quite a few crashes unpatched in their release.

Some of the features that differ from the GOG release:

*Removes 200+ Windows version crashes

*Corrects framerate to 60fps

*Round announcement fix

*Skips intro corporate logos

*Restores "Chameleon Wins" sound sample

*Updates miscellaneous text in the game

*DirectPlay is completely optional

*Windows TCP/IP LAN networking without any IPX wrapper

*Includes DOS & Windows versions with equivalent fixes

It will remain compatible with the PC, Saturn and PS1 releases as well.

Available here (can't post links yet): cubanraul.altervista.org/mkt/

Just download the 3.36 version from the website and install it after installing the GOG version for a much better experience with this game.

I'm still having some issues trying to make this work with my dualshock 4, but at least after installing the patch this is a much better start before figuring out how to make the game properly recognize my controller lol.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm buying this before it disappears, beats digging out my ps1 version. I wonder if someone will attempt to make it into a decent game.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
N64 is still the king in terms of janky fun gameplay. I don't think I've played a fighting game that is both as addictive and hilarious as MKT.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise this had been delisted on Steam. I can't even remember when I bought it.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I need a modern console port that kills the loading times (especially for Shang Tsung transformations), and the music being played at the same tempo as UMK3.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia blast, I still have my cd somewhere.

For anyone wondering, this is basically the PS1 version. (no load times)

Last edited:

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the GOG version is filled with load times?

And is it able to run at various resolutions, or is it still stuck in a tiny window?

No load times, but yeah I remember it being stuck in a tiny window lol. I think you could do a 2x size window or something but it just looks worse.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there an online MP?

jTEp7Gu.png

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
No load times, but yeah I remember it being stuck in a tiny window lol. I think you could do a 2x size window or something but it just looks worse.
Doesn't look great, but I'm able to spam fireballs as Kintaro, so it's worth the 8 bucks in my mind. I'm definitely going to have to run ReShade over it and see what some scan lines can do. Otherwise, it's an ugly game that I hold very near and dear to my heart.

Maybe more important, if this is a Midway game that's been released from licensing hell, what are the odds we get something else re-released for the MK 30th anniversary in October?

*cough* Shaolin Monks *cough*

Also, MK Mythologies: Sub Zero and the MK Forces game that I want out of a sheer preservatiomost perspective.

*edit* Also…who the hell dreamed up this game. MK2 Raiden is in it, but he has legit run animations. They shot a brand new Johnny Cage. It's all just bizarre. I love that this exists. I haven't play it since like 98 or something.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Trilogy is allllllll types of busted. But I'm still kind of tempted.

They really need to do a "definitive edition" that fixes all the bugs and missing music, etc.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Yep, instabought. Happy to support GOG releasing these long sought-after games.

I wonder if you get an extra 10% discount if you own MK4? The page said 10% off before I logged in, but then I got a 20% discount after logging in. I of course have MK4 in my library.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look great, but I'm able to spam fireballs as Kintaro, so it's worth the 8 bucks in my mind. I'm definitely going to have to run ReShade over it and see what some scan lines can do. Otherwise, it's an ugly game that I hold very near and dear to my heart.

Maybe more important, if this is a Midway game that's been released from licensing hell, what are the odds we get something else re-released for the MK 30th anniversary in October?

*cough* Shaolin Monks *cough*

Also, MK Mythologies: Sub Zero and the MK Forces game that I want out of a sheer preservatiomost perspective.

*edit* Also…who the hell dreamed up this game. MK2 Raiden is in it, but he has legit run animations. They shot a brand new Johnny Cage. It's all just bizarre. I love that this exists. I haven't play it since like 98 or something.

This was my dream game as a kid 100%, I played it non-stop on PS1. I had the N64 version, but I didn't like it as much because the PS1 had all that extra janky character content. A beautiful mess. N64 version is a lot easier on the eyes though.

Very much considering buying just to maybe help future classic releases. Gosh the Sub-Zero game, what a frustrating but fascinating thing haha. I do have the PS1 disc, might be time to check it out again on PS3.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
chairhome

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Yep, instabought. Happy to support GOG releasing these long sought-after games.

I wonder if you get an extra 10% discount if you own MK4? The page said 10% off before I logged in, but then I got a 20% discount after logging in. I of course have MK4 in my library.
yup, extra 10% off if you own any other MK game from GOG

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
i don't understand how gog works

who ported the game to gog? who decides what game goes on gog?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm that the PS1 version's loading times are gone? lol

I need a modern console port that kills the loading times (especially for Shang Tsung transformations), and the music being played at the same tempo as UMK3.
The game plays at a different speed than the other MK3 games? 😲

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
The game plays at a different speed than the other MK3 games? 😲
trilogy and umk3 have other differences besides speed, there's frame data differences and character movelist differences iirc

and some other stuff (bugs) which puts umk3 above trilogy in the competitive scene iirc

Last edited:

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This was my dream game as a kid 100%, I played it non-stop on PS1. I had the N64 version, but I didn't like it as much because the PS1 had all that extra janky character content. A beautiful mess. N64 version is a lot easier on the eyes though.

Very much considering buying just to maybe help future classic releases. Gosh the Sub-Zero game, what a frustrating but fascinating thing haha. I do have the PS1 disc, might be time to check it out again on PS3.
Totally. The fact that they just haphazardly did enough work to cram in the extra characters, sense be damned, is pretty amazing. I was just playing the novice ladder and fought Sindell and MK1 Kano, but none of the MK1 characters are selectable. 🤷🏻‍♂️There's some ultra bizarre weirdness going on and I love it. God this thing is stupid and completely worth the 8 dollars I paid.

*edit* Holy shit! I completely forgot…I was just goofing around and hit the back button on my XBox controller over Kano, and it gave me MK1. Works with Raiden (MK1), Jax (MK2), and Kung Lao (MK2).

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
trilogy and umk3 have other differences besides speed, there's frame data differences and character movelist differences iirc

and some other stuff (bugs) which puts umk3 above trilogy in the competitive scene iirc
I can't imagine MKT has anything resembling modern day fighting game balance, either. It was definitely a big fun smorgasbord of a game with crazy oddities in it, instead of a tight fighting game experience, IMO.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Totally. The fact that they just haphazardly did enough work to cram in the extra characters, sense be damned, is pretty amazing. I was just playing the novice ladder and fought Sindell and MK1 Kano, but none of the MK1 characters are selectable. 🤷🏻‍♂️There's some ultra bizarre weirdness going on and I love it. God this thing is stupid and completely worth the 8 dollars I paid.

*edit* Holy shit! I completely forgot…I was just goofing around and hit the back button on my XBox controller over Kano, and it gave me MK1. Works with Raiden (MK1), Jax (MK2), and Kung Lao (MK2).

Back on the PSX you could hit select to switch certain characters to their previous versions so try hitting hitting different buttons. IIRC it was Kano, Jax, Kung Lao, Rayden, and maybe Lui Kang. Basically, the characters that were played by the same actors. So for instance Sonya was played by two different actors so you can't switch her.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see your edit.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
is there an online MP?
This is good to know. Though while I haven't tested this myself I'd assume Parsec would probably be the way to go here? Maybe there's a potential issue there I'm not aware of but Parsec is generally a good way to go for stuff like this. Fightcade is also great though I haven't messed with that much so I'd guess some sort of compatibility for this game would need to be patched into Fightcade?
i don't understand how gog works

who ported the game to gog? who decides what game goes on gog?
The answer to both of those is gog. And this is less of a port and more gog doing the work to make the original PC release of this game compatible with modern PCs (well, sometimes they do the work and sometimes they work with fans to utilize fan mods). It's the bummer about gog as doing stuff like this is what gog was built on but they in recent years have mostly pivoted away from doing this and have just focused on releasing modern games on gog.

There's all kinds of wild shit on gog. You want the original PC version of Street Fighter Alpha 2? That's available on gog. I and many others have for a long time have wanted the OG PC versions of RE1-3 and SH2 & SH3 on gog but unfortunately it seems unlikely any of those will ever get released on gog.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to both of those is gog. And this is less of a port and more gog doing the work to make the original PC release of this game compatible with modern PCs (well, sometimes they do the work and sometimes they work with fans to utilize fan mods). It's the bummer about gog as doing stuff like this is what gog was built on but they in recent years have mostly pivoted away from doing this and have just focused on releasing modern games on gog.

There's all kinds of wild shit on gog. You want the original PC version of Street Fighter Alpha 2? That's available on gog. I and many others have for a long time have wanted the OG PC versions of RE1-3 and SH2 & SH3 on gog but unfortunately it seems unlikely any of those will ever get released on gog.
thanks

eyy someone buy this and give impressions please

👀