• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
To answer your question, it looks like they are using the same sprites as the PSX version.

Seperately; I really can not stress enough how amazing it is and how grateful I am to have an old 90s fighting game favorite not be stuck on a garish scale-model particle board furniture piece which would require an inordinate amount of room in a metropolitan flat; a novelty that would cost upward into the thousands to import and purchase the requisite power conversion hardware for anybody outside the US…Thank god for any console or pc storefronts offering digital purchases of retro games.

It feels so strange to not be locked out and jealous of the new game releases in the US-only Arcade1up garden of eden these days. I purchased MKT on gog immediately.
I wish someone would mod the arcade version of UMK3 to have all of content in MKT.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know why this didn't come to steam? Unfortunately my controller isn't working perfectly and the game freezes every time I change the controller inputs and try to fullscreen it again.
Sometimes GOG themselves put work to make those games playable on newer systems. Most of the time after some period, game will be released on other stores.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat related question: I know many fan games and fans mods of 2D MK games have been released over the years but has there ever been a fan game that is just either the PS1 or N64 version of MKT in terms of content but using arcade assets?
It could be done, there just one problem with the only character with lots of new sprites: Johnny Cage.
That could be done resizing their sprites with waifu2x or something like that, I think the MK1 have some badly done new sprites but its not that much work like JC could demand.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
How do the menus work? I can play the game fine, but I can't exit or quit to menu. Start button doesn't do anything, and hitting Esc throws an error behind the game and the screen just freezes. Had to tab out and kill it in task manager.

And when I went to check the controller setup, in the Options menu, it told me I had to do that in the Options menu. Wat.

OP
OP
chairhome

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
How do the menus work? I can play the game fine, but I can't exit or quit to menu. Start button doesn't do anything, and hitting Esc throws an error behind the game and the screen just freezes. Had to tab out and kill it in task manager.

And when I went to check the controller setup, in the Options menu, it told me I had to do that in the Options menu. Wat.
Using controller, during gameplay I can pause then press "back" or "select" to get a quit option.
If I press Esc, it makes the window smaller and I can choose a couple different options in the window bar

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've never bought anything on Gog before. Can we run the game on Steam? Hoping to get it to play on Steam deck.

I got it working using Heroic launcher, in addition to BoilR that put my installed GOG games into my Steam library under non-steam. It launches in a pretty small box on the Deck however, but I was able to get around this by using the magnifier feature on the Deck. You can find both Heroic and BoilR in the Discover app on desktop mode.

fullmugsy

Feb 22, 2022
This is good to know. Though while I haven't tested this myself I'd assume Parsec would probably be the way to go here? Maybe there's a potential issue there I'm not aware of but Parsec is generally a good way to go for stuff like this. Fightcade is also great though I haven't messed with that much so I'd guess some sort of compatibility for this game would need to be patched into Fightcade?

The answer to both of those is gog. And this is less of a port and more gog doing the work to make the original PC release of this game compatible with modern PCs (well, sometimes they do the work and sometimes they work with fans to utilize fan mods). It's the bummer about gog as doing stuff like this is what gog was built on but they in recent years have mostly pivoted away from doing this and have just focused on releasing modern games on gog.

There's all kinds of wild shit on gog. You want the original PC version of Street Fighter Alpha 2? That's available on gog. I and many others have for a long time have wanted the OG PC versions of RE1-3 and SH2 & SH3 on gog but unfortunately it seems unlikely any of those will ever get released on gog.
Wait so, WB/Midway/NRS had zero input on this and did not approve its listing. GoG can just list any titles it wants and I would imagine pays royalties back to WB? Seems hard to believe they don't need a license, as this would be copyright infringement. However, the shitty artwork for the other titles makes me think it is not official. And apparently there are some assets from fan made patches, which could be a security risk.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It could be done, there just one problem with the only character with lots of new sprites: Johnny Cage.
That could be done resizing their sprites with waifu2x or something like that, I think the MK1 have some badly done new sprites but its not that much work like JC could demand.
Yeah, I thought of that though I would almost be inclined to just drop the MK1 and MK2 variants of characters which mostly solves that problem. Those variants are a cool novelty but it was always weird to me that it was only for a limited number of characters so I say cut them. Maybe include MK2 Jax for the novelty of having human arms Jax and and metal arms Jax? Then for Johnny Cage use his MK2 sprites. I guess that means leaving out his back breaker fatality but that kind of sucked anyway. I guess they did add new animations to Goro, Baraka and MK2 Raiden but a lot of that stuff is minor.

Wait so, WB/Midway/NRS had zero input on this and did not approve its listing. GoG can just list any titles it wants and I would imagine pays royalties back to WB? Seems hard to believe they don't need a license, as this would be copyright infringement. However, the shitty artwork for the other titles makes me think it is not official. And apparently there are some assets from fan made patches, which could be a security risk.
No no no, they work with the publisher but basically with releases like this my understanding of how they work is: gog gets the publisher to sign off on making their game available on gog along with agreeing to whatever sales split and they get assets along with the game from the publisher but once that's all agreed upon gog kind of takes it from there and does all the heavy lifting. Which is important because if the impetus was on Warner to make these PC versions available… these PC versions wouldn't be available. But Warner is happy to make money for doing nothing.

That's why these aren't on Steam. To release these on Steam either Warner or Valve would need to do the work to make them available on there and that's not going to happen. Also if you think all fan mods and patches are a security risk you must not play many PC games. Gog is not some fly-by-night operation, they know what they're doing and they research this stuff thoroughly. They've been around for years and are owned by the developer behind The Witcher games and Cyberpunk so gog isn't some unknown entity. They're a very well established PC storefront. They're not going to put something for sale that's a security risk to their customers.

You just need to know what you're getting into when you buy games like this from gog. Gog did the work to get this game running on modern hardware but the impetus is on the user to get the game running how they want it. You're probably not going to be installing this game and just immediately playing it how you want, you'll probably need to tweak some settings.

Basically gog used to stand for Good Old Games with their goal being to sell old games as well as take old games that no longer work on modern hardware and make them playable on modern hardware, DRM-free. This was partly born out of the number of old games you could buy on Steam that just won't even launch on modern PC hardware without at least installing mods or modifying game files in some manner.

For example, I own Street Fighter X Tekken on Steam which does not launch on modern PC hardware without mods. If that game were made available on gog they would either do the work to make the version they sell launch on modern hardware or they would at least pack in the existing fan mods that do this work. Sometimes they take things a step beyond and include stuff that modernizes a game in some way but generally there only goal with old games is making them playable on modern hardware without the consumer needing to do anything. Anything beyond that is on the consumer to take care of.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I got it working using Heroic launcher, in addition to BoilR that put my installed GOG games into my Steam library under non-steam. It launches in a pretty small box on the Deck however, but I was able to get around this by using the magnifier feature on the Deck. You can find both Heroic and BoilR in the Discover app on desktop mode.
Whoa. This sounds like hard work. Does it look normal with the magnifier, or like an overblown image?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
PS1 version…
IgMyx.gif

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't know why people keep repeating "PS1 version" when MK Trilogy was ported not once but twice for PC (DOS and Windows)

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a version of this on Steam that used GFW when that was still a thing?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Wasn't there a version of this on Steam that used GFW when that was still a thing?

As mentioned earlier, the release on steam was MK 1, 2, and UMK3. MK Trilogy is its own game witk UMK3 as a loose base with some additional sprites from MK1 and MK2, boss characters as selectable characters, and a new Johnny Cage which was originally released on N64 and PSX. This is the PSX version ported, which had more characters than the N64 version, but much maligned for its load times. This new GOG release has NO LOAD TIMES. :)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Well there is someone who hacked UMK3 and added both Noob Saibot and Rain to the arcade version from scratch.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTs9FOA2rU

That's awesome! There was that mythical arcade version of UMK3 that had Noob playable but that's seemingly lost to time at this point. It seems like the sort of thing that a person (or people) passionate enough, with enough spare time and know how could make essentially an arcade-like or arcade based version of MKT as most of the assets needed to do that already exist. Also, with the wonders some have been able to do with AI upscaling prerendered backgrounds in games like OG FF7 I bet running classic MK assets through AI upscaling would net some wild looking results.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Quite possibly. Last time I loaded the game was 2013 apparently, at it was delisted on Steam around 2016 I think.

Looking again at GOG, I think that'd be closer to Mortal Kombat 1+2+3 than the "Trilogy" release here.
This was my question. The Steam version is totally unplayable without a mod/hack to disable GFWL, and even once you make it that far it's still janky as hell. This GOG version doesn't have any of those issues then?

May 15, 2019
Do people actually like the N64 version for reasons other than the lack of load times? The video someone posted about the port differences was pretty damning about how gimped it was, almost every move was safe now because they had to cut out frames of animation but then didn't extend how long the remaining frames stayed on screen, so attacks end sooner than they should.

fullmugsy

Feb 22, 2022
Do people actually like the N64 version for reasons other than the lack of load times? The video someone posted about the port differences was pretty damning about how gimped it was, almost every move was safe now because they had to cut out frames of animation but then didn't extend how long the remaining frames stayed on screen, so attacks end sooner than they should.
Better cheat menus/options on N64 as silly as that sounds.

fullmugsy

Feb 22, 2022
No no no, they work with the publisher but basically with releases like this my understanding of how they work is: gog gets the publisher to sign off on making their game available on gog along with agreeing to whatever sales split and they get assets along with the game from the publisher but once that's all agreed upon gog kind of takes it from there and does all the heavy lifting. Which is important because if the impetus was on Warner to make these PC versions available… these PC versions wouldn't be available. But Warner is happy to make money for doing nothing.

That's why these aren't on Steam. To release these on Steam either Warner or Valve would need to do the work to make them available on there and that's not going to happen. Also if you think all fan mods and patches are a security risk you must not play many PC games. Gog is not some fly-by-night operation, they know what they're doing and they research this stuff thoroughly. They've been around for years and are owned by the developer behind The Witcher games and Cyberpunk so gog isn't some unknown entity. They're a very well established PC storefront. They're not going to put something for sale that's a security risk to their customers.

You just need to know what you're getting into when you buy games like this from gog. Gog did the work to get this game running on modern hardware but the impetus is on the user to get the game running how they want it. You're probably not going to be installing this game and just immediately playing it how you want, you'll probably need to tweak some settings.

Basically gog used to stand for Good Old Games with their goal being to sell old games as well as take old games that no longer work on modern hardware and make them playable on modern hardware, DRM-free. This was partly born out of the number of old games you could buy on Steam that just won't even launch on modern PC hardware without at least installing mods or modifying game files in some manner.
Thanks for the reply! That helps me understand a bit. But I'm still confused why the GoG version has updates from fan patches, including adding run animations to klassic versions of characters and correcting the spelling of Raiden's name (from Rayden). To me that indicates that either GoG sourced the wrong version of the game either from scraping the web or it's what WB provided for some bizarre reason. Wouldn't be the first time considering the MK9 Xbox BC version from 2021 has different artwork for Sindel's ending.

Also why is GoG using such janky artwork for MK 1-3 and 4? It all looks fanmade and budget. It just strikes me as though these are not official releases. Even listing the companies as both "Midway" and "WBIE" seems strange considering Midway has not existed since 2010 (even though they are the original dev).

I guess I'm just questioning to what extent WB actually contributed to this project, especially since nobody at NRS really celebrated this release or even mentioned it.

But I do see what you're saying about why the game is on GoG when they make the effort to get it running - but that's also the point of my question: to what extent was WB/NRS involved or even aware?

fullmugsy

Feb 22, 2022
WB had to be involved to license the release, but that was likely the only thing they did. I don't see why NRS would be involved in any way, I doubt they ever had the distribution rights to these old games.
NRS would be involved because they were the ones who developed the game when they were known as Midway Games, which did own the distribution rights to the old MK games prior to WB purchasing the studio and its assets. Also as the presumed licensor of MK Trilogy, then it would stand that they review/approve the game before its release on GoG.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
NRS would be involved because they were the ones who developed the game when they were known as Midway Games, which did own the distribution rights to the old MK games prior to WB purchasing the studio and its assets. Also as the presumed licensor of MK Trilogy, then it would stand that they review/approve the game before its release on GoG.
Being the developer doesn't automatically grant them the same control over distribution that the publisher had. There's been who knows how many lawsuits over that distinction over the years.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what difference any of this makes. The point was made earlier that anyone who legally needed to sign off on the release obviously did so, or else it wouldn't have been released. They also obviously have no interest in doing any work themselves on a modern port of any kind, but they'll still be happy to take zero-effort license fees.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I was pissed when I got MKT on N64 at launch, only for it to be missing Goro, Kintaro, and the MK1+2 versions of characters, which was shown during the commercials. Got the PSX version a few years down the line and it was so much better imo.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Although Johnny Cage is included in MK Trilogy, he has all his moves from MK2 except for the Split Punch, which was excluded because none of the characters from MK3 have graphics for getting hit in the groin.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Khameleon (the female fighter) was exclusive to N64 I believe, whereas the other platforms had Chameleon

Oct 28, 2017
Correct, though Midway/Warner is listed on GoG so perhaps Atari/GT interactive's rights expired.

Almost none of GT's pre-Atari games are still with Atari. GT only had limited publishing rights for most of what they released and the IPs they actually owned were those created by GT subsidiaries like WizardWorks and Humongous/Cavedog (a lot of which were eventually sold off when Atari went bankrupt).

The 3-on-3 mode is pretty popular in "tournament" play (in quotes because the game is so broken regardless of the version that it's treated as a no-stakes side event). Shame they didn't add it to the PC ports.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking BC or streaming, bear in mind that MKT is one of the very few games that never worked right on anything but original hardware. And neither Sony or WB or NRS are going to try to fix it.
On a PS3 backwards console, it's actually impossible to complete as the game freezes when you beat Shao Kahn and you're supposed to select your treasure

Oct 28, 2017
I can only find a single Reddit post attesting to this, but supposedly the last revision (the PAL re-release as part of the "Midway Classics" line) works fine with the emulator used for PSone Classics on the PS3. The issues the game has on the PS3 are seemingly the same as on the PS2 and the Midway Classics edition was released after the PS2 came out, so maybe they fixed the PS2 compatibility issues and that carried over to the PS3? Wish I still had a working PS3 so I could test it myself.

Last edited:

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Not really related to this release specifically, but I was watching some of the videos posted in the thread and man, I forgot how badass the character graphics are on the versus screens. As far as in-game graphics (and gameplay) go, I prefer MK2's style more, but MK3 definitely felt like a leap at the time.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I had the game on the psx, what soured me and eventually made me stop playing it was the loading times. Good to sew the gog release doesn't suffer in this regard.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Anyone tried this with hero launcher on steam deck?

And is this the crazy ass mortal kombat filled with animalities, banalities, brutalities, fatalities, friendships etc? If so, it's the one I always wanted as a kid but never got lol.