• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I am the first to admit that Dark Souls I world is more interesting and interconnected, but Dark Souls 2 is such a big step up and its the only Souls game to do New Game + the right way. I can understand most people not liking above DS1 and BB, but some people putting the surge above it....just no.

I also enjoy the more slower paced gameplay that DS2 offers (thought putting estus drinking on a stat was really really dumb). Aside from that, DS2 also has the best build variety and the best PVP.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I also love DS2 despite it's faults, and I'm looking forward to the responses here lol

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Ds2 is shit on undeservedly, but no, it's really isn't the best.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Being vulnerable during backstabs resulting in stupid stuff like getting killed while inadvertently backstabbing is stupid.

Best character creator in the series though, I'll give it that. Some nice hairstyles.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Most people will certainly agree it has some great ideas and is the best in the series... In certain aspects.

But taken as a whole? Most don't think it's the best. I still enjoy it plenty.

Robsolete

Oct 25, 2017
So essentially what you're saying is the world needs to face the reality that your opinion is fact?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Most people seem to say BloodBourne, while BloodBourne is great..its a tad overrated...like DS1

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
For me it's DS1. Nothing can replace that magic I felt playing that game for the first time.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
There arent many games I stopped playing after starting, but DS2 was such a boring slog I couldn't get more than a few hours in before feeling like its just a less interesting DS1, so I just moved on.

Its far from the best OP, infact I haven't played a game in the series since

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Preach, OP. Bloodborne is still probably my favorite soulslike, but DS2 is my favorite in the souls series itself.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Not with that trash ass roll. Not with that trash ass soul memory. Not with those trash ass boss fights.

Some of the complaints DS2 gets are stupid, but it plays so shitty compared to the rest. The hitboxes are just off. You can't manual aim attacks. What the hell?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chakan is the best.

Cwm3qFk.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Agree, I never got the hate it got on era.

I mean especially how they handled NG+ and items. It was such a great game, easily my favorite of the Souls series, and better than Bloodborne, at least in terms of gameplay (I loved Bloodbornes art, the environments, outfits, etc) but i hated how they took choices away from the player in terms of your builds and things like Souls has. For some reason it's like after DS2 the people behind the games just REALLY hate Shields and using them in combat period.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it really just depends on what you come to these games for. For me, I love the feeling of exploring what feels like a real, lived in world and feeling like each new area you push through to is a discovery of your own. 2 just didn't feel like that at all to me, aside from a couple of areas the design of the world and enemies is really drab and uninteresting, so in that sense I find it to be pretty lacking. It just doesn't have the same charisma.

That and there's just something about the way the game feels that I just can't get past. It's like, weirdly floaty or something. I could never really put my finger on it but it doesn't feel as good as the other games to me.

I guess if what you come to these games for is to build your character to suit the combat style you want then the game does a pretty good job of that, but that's just a small part of what I enjoy about these games and doesn't really make up for the rest of the package.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wouldn't put The Surge over DS2, but I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I played and completed all the games in the Soulsborne series, except for DS2.

Tried getting into it several times, always quit after a couple of hours. I can't seem to enjoy it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is the worst Souls game by a very large margin...actually that's hard to say with Demon Souls existing but yeah it's probably true.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ds2 is criminally underrated, definitely better than Demon's Souls imo, but you're wrong if you think some of the complaints it gets are not valid.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as bad as it's made out to be, but it's also not the best of the games. But it's still a really good game.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Hehe I expect most people to disagree , but hey DS2 did alot of important things better than the others.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People complain how the bonfires are too close together but Sekiro pulls that shit all the time. And it's not a big deal.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will give DS2 one point for how viable its melee/caestus build is. That's it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Not the best but even the "worst" souls game is better than a vast majority of games.
I do remember the original DS2, so many damn bosses needed blunt damage because armor, I think scholar fixed that but yeah. Also it had a cool NG+ where it added new enemies.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
c07.gif

DS2 is my favorite souls game by a pretty wide margin. It improved on the hub/spoke design of Demon's Souls, but didn't go too far up its own asshole by being obtuse and hard for the sake of being hard like Dark Souls 1 did and had a better working co-op system. It's not perfect, as things like the weird Adaptability stat are a bit wonk, but many I replayed this game so many times and had a blast each time. Dark Souls 1 I quit after and never looked back.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Incredible game and has more ideas and innovations in any single level than the entirety of Dark Souls 3 which is just an inferior retread of the first game but with the same nonsensical world design of 2 just explained away with goofy lore. People latch on to developer names and 2 doesn't have MIYAZAKI THE GOD or whatever unfortunately.

Worst visual downgrade of all time tho, those press videos weeks from release were such bullshit lol

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
DS3 should have taken some things in DS2 and it would have been the best DS ever, I still can't believe they didn't do NG+ from DS2

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean I don't really have a hate boner for this game that a lot of Era seems to. I like it quite a bit, though definitely less than DS1 despite the really fun PvP.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I agree on the pvp being the best if that counts for anything
even though soul memory was a massively flawed idea, it's still the easiest rate of match-ups I've had
I could never get a covenant summon in 3 thanks to the stupid weapon level thing

I had a lot of fun in the dlc zones too

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I guess it depends what you look for in a Souls game.

It lacks the precise weighty movement of literally every other game in the series.

It lacks the excellent level design and mood of those games too.

It lacks the carefully placed enemies and instead throws lots of enemies at you or ambushes around every corner.

It lacks the attention to detail in locales and environments that makes them feel like places that could actually exist instead of videogame levels.

It lacks the memorable bosses.

It has a lot of armor, weapon and build variety for sure. And it's probably the most fun game in the series to just start a new character and fuck around. But it's lacking in too many areas for me to call it the best.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm not a Souls fan. I think they have a lot of problems, but I enjoyed my time with Dark Souls 2. I think I beat most of the game and it was good. I honestly don't understand why it gets a lot of shit.

It's similar to how some Zelda fans trash pretty good games in the series just to prop up whatever their favorite is. It's really obnoxious behavior. All the Zelda games are good just like all the Souls games are good.

Scholars of the First Sin is a worthy game.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't really matter how well New Game + is done if the game still feels like shit to play. I don't think I've ever given a game as many chances as DaS2. Once I finally beat it I was fucking done for good. I tried the DLC and couldn't even stomach that.