• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It doesn't really matter how well New Game + is done if the game still feels like shit to play. I don't think I've ever given a game as many chances as DaS2. Once I finally beat it I was fucking done for good. I tried the DLC and couldn't even stomach that.
DS2 is not shit to play, at least to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Chakan is the best.

Cwm3qFk.gif

THE FOREVER MAN, WE SPEAKETH YOUR NAME

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's even an especially good game, much less the best souls ga /is grabbed by enemy clearly out of reach.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love it the most of all the games in the series I feel like its the most unique. You have my sword on this one OP.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Like I said, people can disagree with me , its just opinions, but there are some things that everyone must admit DS2 does that propels above the others in my case. I love the DS series and DS2 is the only game I've beaten more than 10 times , and for me thats a big deal (I tend to get bored of replays very quickly).

Oct 28, 2017
Nah man. It has some good stuff going for it, it can't stand up to DS1 or BB. ADP, bad hitboxes, uninspired bosses, and world design that altered between bland and nonsensical all severely dampen the experience. Not to mention the awful lore and how it set the precedent for the next game to be another convoluted remix of DS1. At least its DLC was better than DS3's though. But that isn't saying much.

That cycle/reincarnation shit is the worst. The game would've been much better if it had no ties to DS1 at all.

It made a lot of mechanical and QoL improvements over DS1. But honestly I think my favorite improvement was the hub theme:

On a side note, I really wish these games had a different mode where you could create a full build at the beginning and play through with everything you need rather than blowing through NG just to get your spells/armor/weapons just to RP in NG+. That really would've helped the build variety shine.

EDIT: Also that blood vignette on boss intros is dumb as hell and I will not let it go.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter how well New Game + is done if the game still feels like shit to play. I don't think I've ever given a game as many chances as DaS2. Once I finally beat it I was fucking done for good. I tried the DLC and couldn't even stomach that.

You missed out. DLC is good.

Bosses like Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are still top tier.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can't get into it, even the much brighter setting and art doesn't seem to fit my idea of what souls is and I can't get over how unfair mobbing is.

I'll probably try again at some point but I don't think me and this game will ever happen.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I started a co-op playthrough of SotfS with my SO recently, and realize now how similar this game is to a full-blown DnD campaign. So much freedom in where to go, what to do and how to play. No other Souls game offers that many possibilities. I won't call it the best entry in the series, but I have a lot of respect for it. It definitely falls short in the lore and world building department. NPCs in particular have no reason to be where they are, and the game conveniently makes that their defining trait to boot. 'Why am I here again?' just doesn't make for an interesting character story. You can tell Miyazaki is involved if the world and its inhabitants intrigue, and this game's rarely do.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No, its the worst souls game by a good margin. Yes its really really good for a game but as a souls game, its the worst. Gameplay and bosses mainly to blame for it. Oh and the lag in pvp My God..

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it well enough although I admit the things it does really well (online aspects) aren't things I care about in Souls games.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
While I don't agree that it's the best, it's definitely a much better game than a lot of people give it credit for. And it's far more memorable and has infinitely more personality than the dull, by-the-numbers Dark Souls III.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
thread titles like this are wack as fuck.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's easily the worst.
Just so many bad boss fights and levels, not to mention adaptability.
They really went hard on quantity over quality on this one.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
The game just feels bad to play. I went into it with an open mind trying to clear my mind of everything I had heard about it, and the fact that it just felt bad was the first thing I noticed. That combined with some really haphazard feeling level design (I'm not even talking about versimillitide or anything, it just felt like things were randomly placed).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, its the worst souls game by a good margin. Yes its really really good for a game but as a souls game, its the worst. Gameplay and bosses mainly to blame for it. Oh and the lag in pvp My God..

PVP is laggy ass garbage in all of Souls games. DS2 just happened to be the least shitty with its amazing builds.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
It's really not... It had some of my favorite PVP though. The bridge was fantastic. And I could dual-wield whips with a decent moveset, while the first dlc added Ivy's sword from Soul Calibur, which was fun.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS3 is good, but its really a homage to DS1 most of the time.
Right. That's being overly generous though. It's a fanfic trying to tie DS1 into a series which deserved a better throughpoint. If not for the difficult delivery of DS2 (rebooting dev) it might have done that, bringing a more consistent story that makes sense.

Dark Souls 3 flounders in almost every where by pigeon holing Gwyn's lost son, Anor Londo, Smoldering Lake (which makes no sense location wise), Farron Keep (Royal Woods but again, makes no sense) into a story which really could have done without. Even the Aldrich fight with that character was disappointing. And if we ever see another Dragon Knight it'll be too soon.

It all culminates with a boss fight that is a boring characterless shell,bone who just spams move sets from other series bosses and had no character of their own. I'm really not sure who they are and why they're introduced so randomly before the end.

For all it's problems, DS2 at least remains true to its core conceit of tracking down the King before going for his wife - revealed to be the true reason for the curse and an echo of Manus.

Speaking of which. Where was that plot line in the final game?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I can respect people's opinions about it, it just gets alot of undeserved hate for some dumb reasons.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I hopped off of it thanks to the pursuer. It just didn't feel quite right to me, and there were too many maddening aspects for me to keep going.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
What makes me question things are people who rate the Surge above it, such a soulless game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Combat/game feel, level design, world design, encounter design, bosses, art direction, and atmosphere all took noticeable-to-major steps back from DS1. Sorry, the increased build variety and clever covenant/PvP stuff don't make up for it. Majula is cool but it doesn't either. Miyazaki's direction is sorely missed. Not a bad game but the worst Souls installment by far.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with Dark Souls 2 if it didn't feel so bad to play. When compared the other entries in the Souls series, it seems incredibly floaty and imprecise.

I don't care about the wealth of content and the build variety for PvP, playing it just isn't any fun for me.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
DS2 wanted to be different and while it failed in some aspects (Soul Memory, Adpt stat, less interconnected world), it made for it with (NG+, weapons, builds, PVP,) , it gets shit on alot and I respect it for trying to do new stuff, unlike DS3.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I can respect people's opinions about it, it just gets alot of undeserved hate for some dumb reasons.
The souls games were praised for their combat. Fair, deliberate, difficult to master.

Then DS2 comes along and ruins the formula. Movement no longer felt exact, aiming felt off, enemies tracked the player instead of allowing the player to bait and dodge, rolling felt terrible, and everything in general just felt a bit off.

I had fun with it and it was by no means a bad game, but it deserves the criticism it gets. Other souls games nail the gameplay, and DS2 missed the mark.

I loved the PVP and the ability to upgrade individual zones to NG+ difficulty for new loot. Darklord GS PvP ganking was great. Too bad about that soul memory bullshit.

DS2 isn't shit on for "doing new things", it's shit on for doing the most important things wrong.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
And how much 3 feels like a soulless retread in comparison.

It's like their mindset is "at least 2 tried something different," no matter how shitty some aspects of the game turned out because of it.
DS2 wanted to be different and while it failed in some aspects (Soul Memory, Adpt stat, less interconnected world), it made for it with (NG+, weapons, builds, PVP,) , it gets shit on alot and I respect it for trying to do new stuff, unlike DS3.

Like fucking clockwork.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The souls games were praised for their combat. Fair, deliberate, difficult to master.

Then DS2 comes along and ruins the formula. Movement no longer felt exact, aiming felt off, enemies tracked the player instead of allowing the player to bait and dodge, rolling felt terrible, and everything in general just felt a bit off.

I had fun with it and it was by no means a bad game, but it deserves the criticism it gets. Other souls games nail the gameplay, and DS2 missed the mark.

I loved the PVP and the ability to upgrade individual zones to NG+ difficulty for new loot. Darklord GS PvP ganking was great. Too bad about that soul memory bullshit.
I find DS2 gameplay to be fine, just takes getting used too, like any other Souls game, and its funner(to me) than DS3.