Plum

May 31, 2018
Lol at folks wondering about the sliced white bread in the bbq pic. I'd be hesitant about any bbq place that didn't do that.

Sliced white bread ain't the issue, it's that the bread itself looks like it's made of 50% sugar. Many people don't really have palates that go well with bread that sweet. I mean I'd go for it in such a situation, but I'd personally not choose to make a sandwich or something with that bread.

Fuck knows. Half the people who talk about how gross things are are probably the kind of people who only ate plain white bread and a specific brand of butter on it until they were 12.

Either that or they've taken a few of the worst examples of someone fucking up a country/culture's cuisine and taken that as indicative of the entire nation liking the same thing. As a Brit I've gotten used to it lol

EDIT: Oh, and lets not forget the whole "Acting as if someone's lazy comfort food is considered as anything but lazy comfort food," thing.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

As a Texan... That Vice article extolling the virtues of Brooklyn BBQ made me chuckle. Look NY you're amazing and you have vastly superior food options, but BBQ ain't one of them.

Here is a local place close to where I live for comparison:
QWQILPj.jpg

luling, Texas has some great BBQ. Angelo's in FTW is pretty good too.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
That NYC BBQ pic is nonsense. This is a pit master from Country Hill which is definitely not the best of NYC I'm sure. I'm not a huge BBQ chaser though. Plus people here have obviously never been to NYC BBQ festivals with many best offerings around the country.

hil-country-bbq-fill-up.jpg
The point was its a bit absurd/funny that Vice chose that photo to sell/introduce a generation of people to NY BBQ. I don't doubt there is good bbq in NY, just like there is good Nigiri/Omakase, but it'll cost 2/3x what it would elsewhere, and so most people, myself included are inclined to stick to the more obvious food options in NY and leave the BBQ to the south and Nigiri/omakase for the trips to Japan.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of these bbq trays look good. I've never had anything like that before. Never even seen a tray of food served on parchment paper like that either.

I'd never be able to finish any of those trays though lol.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I like that meat, but everything else... Do you have real bread in the US, or only these crappy toast slices?
We do, but unfortunately here 90% of the people never move beyond American bread and American cheese. And to be fair, economically real bread from an artisanal bakery or farmers market might set you back $6-10 here, so its not a viable option for most.

BBQ is the only time I will ever have white bread like this, because in this scenario it serves basically as a sponge to absorb all the grease from the meat.

I saw a similar concept in Japan with how they prepared kobe beef... at the end of the meal they basically wiped the fat from the grill with bread and toasted it for you before adding the last serving of the beef on top.

Last edited:

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
That NYC BBQ pic is nonsense. This is a pit master from Country Hill which is definitely not the best of NYC I'm sure. I'm not a huge BBQ chaser though. Plus people here have obviously never been to NYC BBQ festivals with many best offerings around the country.

hil-country-bbq-fill-up.jpg

🤢 that looks dry as fuck

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Can't find on Youtube to embed, but this rendition of a "Maryland style crab cake" is an insult to Maryland. Fieri even sorta has to pause to find a positive thing to say:

www.foodnetwork.com

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Home and Away Highlights

Watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Home and Away Highlights from Food Network

Though it's small time compared to the nightmares popping up here.

fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

As a Texan... That Vice article extolling the virtues of Brooklyn BBQ made me chuckle. Look NY you're amazing and you have vastly superior food options, but BBQ ain't one of them.

QWQILPj.jpg

Wierd choice of photo for Vice, since that looks like a single lunch portion on a tray used for any size. Does make it look sparse. Your picture looks like it's for three or four.

Portion aside, the bread and pickles from the NYC one look far better. Can't speak for the meat, Vice should fly me to both places to properly compare of course.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
The point was its a bit absurd/funny that Vice chose that photo to sell/introduce a generation of people to NY BBQ. I don't doubt there is good bbq in NY, just like there is good Nigiri/Omakase, but it'll cost 2/3x what it would elsewhere, and so most people, myself included are inclined to stick to the more obvious food options in NY and leave the BBQ to the south and Nigiri/omakase for the trips to Japan.
Everything in the NYC area is a multitude more expensive than elsewhere. But I do agree with your when in Rome take. I don't seek out BBQ around here except at the fairs cause you get BBQ from all over without massive markups.

When I eat out it's pretty much Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Cuban, French, Mexican, or American. My favorite places to eat in the US are LA, DC, and NYC. But the best eats are always local like BBQ in Texas. It's just that for a steep price in these major cities, you can get close to the best, BBQ included.

PS: One of my employees is from Texas and says Hill Country does good service to the state. She knows better spots around here but of course she says it is best at home.

EDIT:
Mediterranean
🤢 that looks dry as fuck
It's a good thing you don't eat pictures. The food is not dry.

Last edited:

Friggz

Oct 27, 2017
i spent $30 on dinner last night. I got myself some Manicotti, a quart of Ministrone, a whole damn loaf of bread and I'm washing it down with the sweet satisfaction that everyone can suck my dick because I'm eating Italian FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The reason why most texan bbq places used normal sliced white bread is because:
1. Regionally, texas is pretty shit tier with bakeries
2. Most BBQ places just have a pitmaster and not a chef
3. White is chosen because the flavor is the meat
Pflugerville has a good BBQ place that has a chef. Still lacking in bread but really interesting combinations

I never get the bread, it's optional. Most places sell meat by the pound market style or individual meals with .25 to .5 lbs of meat with sides like potato salad and collars greens. If you're focused on bread, I doubt you understand how much flavor smoked meat over a day tastes like

Edit: android 11 samsung galaxy s10 has really fucked up the autocorrect. Replacing words with spaces with combined not words. What the fuck

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The Texas BBQ stuff just looks boring. It's a plate of BBQ meat with some condiments...

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

QWQILPj.jpg

While I obviously get why people mock the Vice image, that's kind of just a function of what you order, and says nothing about the actual quality of the food. And while I'd certainly demolish the second plate, it's also inarguably a ludicrous portion size.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the brisket looks like it was only smoked for 1/3 the time needed. If you're not going to tenderize the brisket, don't use brisket.
It's a stock photo. Not going to look like in person. I've eaten that brisket many times and it is far from dry. In the past we used Hill locations for new hire lunches so I went for company cost a number of times. I've had better BBQ down south but it ain't dry.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The Texas BBQ stuff just looks boring. It's a plate of BBQ meat with some condiments...

Do they even smoke BBQ in pits over days in the UK? I really don't know. Context is it means you don't know what bbq is. Good BBQ doesn't need any condiments or anything else. It's seasoned and smoked for dozens of hours. Super tender and tons of flavor.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Do they even smoke BBQ in pits over days in the UK? I really don't know. Context is it means you don't know what bbq is. Good BBQ doesn't need any condiments or anything else. It's seasoned and smoked for dozens of hours. Super tender and tons of flavor.

I never questioned if it was "good BBQ" - I said it was boring.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
I do often get more into the sides at most bbq...I'm not really an intense carnivore. I'll take nice seafood or even a tofu dish over heavy BBQ. Only on the rarest occasions do I indulge.

I do enjoy a few locally source grass fed burger places in my area though. Nothing wrong with that.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

The beauty is in the simplicity. Good wood, meat, and time being used to create perfection. It's simple and boring in the same way a great cup of coffee, a superb bowl of ramen, or magnificent plate of cacio e pepe is.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's a stock photo. Not going to look like in person. I've eaten that brisket many times and it is far from dry. In the past we used Hill locations for new hire lunches so I went for company cost a number of times. I've had better BBQ down south but it ain't dry.

Fair enough. The old school pitmaster way of cooking is spreading, glad y'all have it available. Maybe it can spread to a region with good bakeries and evolve.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I never questioned if it was "good BBQ" - I said it was boring.

I suppose it can be if it's not your thing and that's cool. I was genuinely curious about of the technique of pit smoking bbq had reached that part of the world. Even I'm the states there are regions where BBQ means charring a third a pound of ground beef on a grill and putting ketchup and mustard on it.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough. The old school pitmaster way of cooking is spreading, glad y'all have it available. Maybe it can spread to a region with good bakeries and evolve.
Well we have amazing bakeries around here and most places emulating various southern bbq give out plain white bread like the Texas photo. I'd love to know of a more fusion bbq type place. Honestly the closest I can think is French dishes to close the gap. But I have never had what you described. Sounds amazing wherever it exists...

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Slice of wonder bread for BBQ is standard as someone who lives in Oklahoma.

It's basically tradition, use it as an edible napkin.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most supermarkets have a section like this:
bakery-section-at-wegmans-grocery-store-westwood-massachusetts-usa-GNTC1D.jpg

But despite this some people choose bread heresy:

Thanks, I see now, that toast is much cheaper (are those prices close to current prices?). It's not the same here, the better quality toast is usually more expensive than anything but the most high-end breads.

Oct 31, 2017
I have something called sensory integration disorder, which makes it extremely difficult for me to eat or enjoy anything that looks visually unappealing. Like a food could taste wonderful objectively but if it LOOKS disgusting to me my brain can't break through that wall.

Every single instance of poutine I've ever experienced in the real world looks so viscerally unappealing to me I can't even get past the first bite. I have the same problem with Skyline chili:

4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_Washington_Chili_in_Cincinnati_OH_USA.jpg
How do you even eat this disgusting slob of shit

I wanna puke just looking at that

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
There is a guy at work who eats slices of bread with caviar topped with loads of mayo. I'm not picky on food but that genuinely looks disgusting

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I see now, that toast is much cheaper (are those prices close to current prices?). It's not the same here, the better quality toast is usually more expensive than anything but the most high-end breads.

As with cheese and a few other food categories, bread in the U.S. exists in this sort of two-tier structure where you have the industrial food-science junk that arose in the depression or post-war eras, and then better stuff that was reintroduced/rediscovered later in the 20th century. The former persists both because it's embedded itself in the culture at this point, and because it's cheap as hell by comparison.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Look, I love Kraft Mac and Cheese. Won't even front about it. It's perfect poor people food and you can serve it/mix it with almost anything and it'll generally make for a solid enough meal. It's versatile that way.

The 'almost' is important though. Because this is an utter abomination to all humankind.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You want food crimes?
I HAVE GOT FOOD CRIMES:

First let's assault a turkey with a block of cheese and smother it with flaming hot cheetos:

And follow up with the most disgusting Brunch ever:

Oct 27, 2017
Resetera and it's oddly snobby bread opinions.

There ain't nothing wrong with some plain sliced bread. It's good for basic sandwiches.

But yes, we have more options. I swear, seems Europeans here think that every American grocery store is nothing but a small town Piggly Wiggly.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017

Just gotta comment on that video. Of course the salmon sashimi would be frozen. You don't eat fresh salmon sashimi unless you want a side of tapeworms and roundworms, you freeze the shit out of it to kill those. Salmon carries a lot of parasites and is an awful choice for sashimi.

Even supposedly parasite free farmed salmon is recommended frozen first.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Fuck I can't find the video but it was a person making a pasta dish with cream sauce which was 2 entire blocks of cream cheese, half a bottle of heavy cream, milk and the whole time she's saying jokingly "we don't measure." Was just disgusting.

Also the Lay's mashed potatoes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

There ain't nothing wrong with some plain sliced bread. It's good for basic sandwiches.
Yeah, for plain sandwiches, sliced bread is more than fine. The "specialty" bread has its purposes, sure. You'd never see me make garlic bread out of the sliced stuff.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As with cheese and a few other food categories, bread in the U.S. exists in this sort of two-tier structure where you have the industrial food-science junk that arose in the depression or post-war eras, and then better stuff that was reintroduced/rediscovered later in the 20th century. The former persists both because it's embedded itself in the culture at this point, and because it's cheap as hell by comparison.

For us (I'm from Hungary, but I think most of Europe is the same) classic loaves of bread are the basic stuff, and sliced-bagged toast is the new thing. Of course at this point that's 20-30 years old too, so I would call it normal - but it's still not significantly cheaper. (Maybe if you buy the absolutely cheapest store brand with one day shelf-life.)

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

But yes, we have more options. I swear, seems Europeans here think that every American grocery store is nothing but a small town Piggly Wiggly.

If it's aimed at me, I don't think I was snobby. For me, classic bread is cheap and basic food that goes with everything - sandwiches, soup, barbecue and everything else. To me sliced toast is the extra thing - I like it when toasted or grilled, but I would never eat it fresh. I have normal (my normal) bread for that.

I've actually visited the US many times, but didn't visit many grocery stores, only a few Targets in California and a Whole Foods in New York. As Americans tell in many thread, every region and state is very different, that's why I was asking about this. Based on my experiences, in normal grocery stores we have a much bigger selection of breads, cheeses and cold cuts. And I absolutely believe that you have specialty stores in the big cities that dwarf our selection of these things for a premium price.