• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
As far as we know, the assailant was unarmed, had a female accomplice, and knocked on someone else's door that morning before this one. That's really all we know, coupled with the overwhelming majority of home invasions not involving bodily harm.

And chippy, I'd rather get fucked laying down than killed standing lol.

Also, I previously said she was a model gun owner, but just noticed she didn't have the gun in a safe, and it's unclear what safety measures she had in place for her gun in a house of 3 kids.
We know he was warned, told their was a gun present, and he still decided he could break in. Didn't go his way though did it? She stopped the threat.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of decent countries out there not run by mental gun nuts, which then achieve to have much less gun violence. You should check out one of those countries sometime.
I'm Romanian, I don't need to check anything out.
But if someone breaks down my door I'm not going to help them load my shit into their car to avoid confrontation.
It's not black and white, there are gray areas, and you can pass legislation where for example home defense is an allowed instance of purchasing a well regulated, limited-in-scope and capacity firearm.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for reasonable gun control. Let people have weapons purely designed for hunting.

But picking and choosing the one time a private citizen owned a gun and it helped doesn't really validate anything. We get rid of outliers for a reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Romanian, I don't need to check anything out.
But if someone breaks down my door I'm not going to help them load my shit into their car to avoid confrontation.
It's not black and white, there are gray areas, and you can pass legislation where for example home defense is an allowed instance of purchasing a well regulated, limited-in-scope and capacity firearm.

The purpose isn't to avoid confrontation, that happened when they committed a crime and broke down the door. It's about keeping my family as safe as possible.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Plenty of decent countries out there not run by mental gun nuts, which then achieve to have much less gun violence. You should check out one of those countries sometime.

Those countries don't want black people there ether. And they'd flip their shit just like America if they had our numbers for the same amount of their history.

Minorities and especially women should have solid access to firearms. Even 'felons' if they are historically nonviolent and have no history of serious mental illness. So many black men have been screwed with the 'felon' label for nonviolent drug offenses since the bogus drug war began that it's economic and cultural genocide. Take all of those people, strip their voting rights, rip their families apart, and their communities suffer from even greater abuse by police abuses in that fundamentally racist policy.

The media is also complicit in skewing the reality our country faces in regards to firearms and danger. Despite the news coverage focusing on flashier events, actual statistics show that the vast VAST majority of firearms murders are single perp, single victim, using a pistol. Further, this is dramatically more common in economically disadvantaged areas, not coincidentally areas where terrible institutional racism and the drug war have combined to create an environment rife with completely rational fear of the police as well as few opportunities to earn reasonable income legally.

Ending the drug war, and refocusing those resources towards improving life for the most socioeconomically disadvantaged areas of our country would be the single most effective way of reducing gun murders in terms of saving lives.

In the meantime, AR ban or no ban, 10 round mag or 30 round mag, these things would not amount to very much in the big picture. The more effective options would be increasing waiting periods for males under 25 years old, and comprehensive mental health checks (outright ban on anyone with even misdemeanor violent conviction, schizophrenia, BPD, etc). Mandatory smart safe for home/business, tax incentives for providing smart user recognition for taking off safety.

A happier, less racist, more equitable society is less violent.

Holy shit, someone gets it.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Minorities and especially women should have solid access to firearms. Even 'felons' if they are historically nonviolent and have no history of serious mental illness. So many black men have been screwed with the 'felon' label for nonviolent drug offenses since the bogus drug war began that it's economic and cultural genocide. Take all of those people, strip their voting rights, rip their families apart, and their communities suffer from even greater abuse by police abuses in that fundamentally racist policy.

The media is also complicit in skewing the reality our country faces in regards to firearms and danger. Despite the news coverage focusing on flashier events, actual statistics show that the vast VAST majority of firearms murders are single perp, single victim, using a pistol. Further, this is dramatically more common in economically disadvantaged areas, not coincidentally areas where terrible institutional racism and the drug war have combined to create an environment rife with completely rational fear of the police as well as few opportunities to earn reasonable income legally.

Ending the drug war, and refocusing those resources towards improving life for the most socioeconomically disadvantaged areas of our country would be the single most effective way of reducing gun murders in terms of saving lives.

In the meantime, AR ban or no ban, 10 round mag or 30 round mag, these things would not amount to very much in the big picture. The more effective options would be increasing waiting periods for males under 25 years old, and comprehensive mental health checks (outright ban on anyone with even misdemeanor violent conviction, schizophrenia, BPD, etc). Mandatory smart safe for home/business, tax incentives for providing smart user recognition for taking off safety.

A happier, less racist, more equitable society is less violent.
Outstanding post.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pro-gun thread from a cop just in time to coincide with Trump's increased rhetoric that Dems are out to take people's guns.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Pro-gun thread from a cop just in time to coincide with Trump's increased rhetoric that Dems are out to take people's guns.
I am against Trumps rhetoric. Also, I'm a pro-regulation, non-carrying, non-NRA supporting, retired cop. I don't know what your point is at all since you don't know me. Just because someone is pro 2nd Amendment doesn't mean anything else unless you want to ask a specific question about me.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am against Trumps rhetoric. Also, I'm a pro-regulation, non-carrying, non-NRA supporting, retired cop. I don't know what your point is at all since you don't know me. Just because someone is pro 2nd Amendment doesn't mean anything else unless you want to ask a specific question about me.
See right there is that weasel word nonsense. You're "against his rhetoric" but that's just what cowardly republicans say while still smiling throughout his policy.

Then you post a non-event like this with the clear indication to make people think guns are a solution rather than a major health and safety crisis in this country.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
See right there is that weasel word nonsense. You're "against his rhetoric" but that's just what cowardly republicans say while still smiling throughout his policy.

Then you post a non-event like this with the clear indication to make people think guns are a solution rather than a major health and safety crisis in this country.
Lol, yeah you have it all figured out. Well done.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
As far as we know, the assailant was unarmed, had a female accomplice, and knocked on someone else's door that morning before this one. That's really all we know, coupled with the overwhelming majority of home invasions not involving bodily harm.

And chippy, I'd rather get fucked laying down than killed standing lol.

Also, I previously said she was a model gun owner, but just noticed she didn't have the gun in a safe, and it's unclear what safety measures she had in place for her gun in a house of 3 kids.

F34R said pretty much what I would have to your response. Dude was attempting to break in by smashing her door in and ignored her verbal warnings etc. I think it was justified. Most home invaders do not attempt such a thing if someone is home or especially if someone announces they are there and armed. It's a different situation.

Oct 27, 2017
F34R said pretty much what I would have to your response. Dude was attempting to break in by smashing her door in and ignored her verbal warnings etc. I think it was justified. Most home invaders do not attempt such a thing if someone is home or especially if someone announces they are there and armed. It's a different situation.

It was absolutely justified. She certainly won't be facing charges.

In many states it'd be justified even without the door being knocked down if they were trespassing and didn't leave after verbal warning. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It was absolutely justified. She certainly won't be facing charges.

In many states it'd be justified even without the door being knocked down if they were trespassing and didn't leave after verbal warning. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

You don't have to agree with it, but in this scenario I believe it was the right outcome.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It was an outcome.

Is this preferable to him taking her TV, getting caught, and the woman and children suffering no harm? Which is also a potential outcome that I would say is preferrable.

He completely ignored her comments about being armed and told him what would happen. He chose his path.

Again, we're talking about a woman alone with her children and two people outside acting like maniacs. She called the police. He literally broke through the door lol. What was she suppose to do in that moment when he ignored her voice and warnings? "Hi there, welcome to x residence. Everything is yours. Just be quite my children are upstairs hiding terrified because you broke through the door and ignored my voice."

Hypothetical, what would you do if you were in her shoes? A woman alone with children while 2 people outside are trying to break in and ignore every ounce of warning you give AND you called the police? How would you handle it?

May 10, 2018
It was an outcome.

Is this preferable to him taking her TV, getting caught, and the woman and children suffering no harm? Which is also a potential outcome that I would say is preferrable.
Whose to say he was there to rob them though? Seeing as how he ignored her warnings, he could have been there just to cause physical harm.

Black woman alone with her kids, probably thought it was an easy target.

Oct 27, 2017
Whose to say he was there to rob them though? Seeing as how he ignored her warnings, he could have been there just to cause physical harm.

Black woman alone with her kids, probably thought it was an easy target.

We don't know, I was offering a potential outcome that I felt was preferable. Odds are he was there to get something to help himself. Extremely rare for someone to break in just to hurt someone else unprovoked.

Worth remembering the two criminals went to another residence before this. They didn't have it staked as a good target. Also worth mentioning there's no mention of any weapons on either assailant.

He completely ignored her comments about being armed and told him what would happen. He chose his path.

Again, we're talking about a woman alone with her children and two people outside acting like maniacs. She called the police. He literally broke through the door lol. What was she suppose to do in that moment when he ignored her voice and warnings? "Hi there, welcome to x residence. Everything is yours. Just be quite my children are upstairs hiding terrified because you broke through the door and ignored my voice."

Hypothetical, what would you do if you were in her shoes? A woman alone with children while 2 people outside are trying to break in and ignore every ounce of warning you give AND you called the police? How would you handle it?

What would I do? Call the cops, hide. If found, follow orders. I also wouldn't have a gun.

I'd curse my bad luck for being victim to such a random crime.

I would say take whatever you want. Would probably avoid mentioning my kids at all. I would not say welcome to my residence.

You didn't answer my question. I answered yours. Which outcome would be preferrable (from above)?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
Chill, the Dems don't want to take your guns. They just want better gun control and legality. But of course people will spin this into Dems not wanting guns at all and this story will parade that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Odds are he was there to get something to help himself.

You realize he was making comments like, "this is my house" right? I hate to speculate, but I think there is more to the story than a simple break in. Time will tell, but this story will get buried super quick just like the rest of them.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Chill, the Dems don't want to take your guns. They just want better gun control and legality. But of course people will spin this into Dems not wanting guns at all and this story will parade that.

Are you not a part of this forum? Go into most gun threads and the majority are saying to "ban guns." Or comments like, "Australia banned guns and it worked for them!" Even though Australia has more guns now than before their last mass shooting.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

The never ending cycle of:

Mass shooting/thoughts and prayers>>>>Mass shooting/thoughts and prayers>>>>Mass shooting/thoughts and prayers>>>>Gun accident that takes innocent live>>>>Mass shooting/thoughts and prayers>>>>Rare instance where a gun was actually needed/helpful>>>>Dems are out to take our guns speech

Repeat as listed.

For the record, I am not for banning every single firearm. Personally, I think they should be kept on the range, and strictly kept in check. Also, is there not better taser or stun gun tech out there yet? Could this women have used that on such a big dude? I feel that in 2018 we should have projectile weapons that aren't made primarily for killing but to properly subdue a threat. Anyway, it's great she was able to defend herself and family. Do not fucking kick in people doors and shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't read it I watched a video of the homeowner telling her account of the story. According to her he went around the house and tried the back door as well.

Hadn't seen that one, thanks.

I'm not sure that changes anything. Im curious what you read out of what he said. You think he was trying to....steal the house? I suspect drugs are involved.

And buried quickly? You think there's a conspiracy to keep pro gun stories buried, rather than just a numbers game?

You still have yet to answer which scenario would be preferrable.

EDIT: given the extra details, I can revise what I would do to also include trying to get the kids out of the house, if feasible.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Hadn't seen that one, thanks.

I'm not sure that changes anything. You think he was trying to....steal the house? I suspect drugs are involved.

And buried quickly? You think there's a conspiracy to keep pro gun stories buried, rather than just a numbers game?

You still have yet to answer which scenario would be preferrable.

EDIT: given the extra details, I can revise what I would do to also include trying to get the kids out of the house, if feasible.

If I'm completely speculating and talking out of my ass and he did say that...maybe he could of been the previous owner of the home or a potential buyer and he lost out? I don't know. Just pointing it out.

Most people don't talk about any situation of guns doing any good and I get it. We don't talk about how the CDC ordered a study that ended up saying 500,000 to 3 million gun uses in a year are defensive and not offensive. That I get because the CDC wants to continue research, but cannot for some reason. That could totally backfire for sure, but I think its worth looking into.

As far as a preferrable situation, I would have preferred for it not to happen at all. However, it did and she gave clear warning and he did not care. It is what it is.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
We don't know, I was offering a potential outcome that I felt was preferable. Odds are he was there to get something to help himself. Extremely rare for someone to break in just to hurt someone else unprovoked.

Worth remembering the two criminals went to another residence before this. They didn't have it staked as a good target. Also worth mentioning there's no mention of any weapons on either assailant.

What would I do? Call the cops, hide. If found, follow orders. I also wouldn't have a gun.

I'd curse my bad luck for being victim to such a random crime.

I would say take whatever you want. Would probably avoid mentioning my kids at all. I would not say welcome to my residence.

You didn't answer my question. I answered yours. Which outcome would be preferrable (from above)?

If I was in that situation, I would prefer to have a gun than without. Screw statistics, screw mishaps, people shouldn't lose their sense of safety in their own home to accommodate home Invaders without any way of self-defense.

If gun control people could wrestle and defeat pro-gun arguments that revolve around defending themselves without resorting to basically saying "Your safety is not my concern.", gun control would be so much passable. As is, your attitude is probably a pro-gun wet dream.

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm completely speculating and talking out of my ass and he did say that...maybe he could of been the previous owner of the home or a potential buyer and he lost out? I don't know. Just pointing it out.

Most people don't talk about any situation of guns doing any good and I get it. We don't talk about how the CDC ordered a study that ended up saying 500,000 to 3 million gun uses were defensive and not offensive. That I get because the CDC wants to continue research, but cannot for some reason. That could totally backfire for sure, but I think its worth looking into.

As far as a preferrable situation, I would have preferred for it not to happen at all. However, it did and she gave clear warning and he did not care. It is what it is.

He went and banged on another house just before this one, so doubtful.

We know why the CDC can't do more gun research........

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Also, is there not better taser or stun gun tech out there yet?
Stun guns are risky. Easy to get taken from you in a struggle or worse yet accidentally stun your self (same with knives). Tasers basically have 1-2 shots to hit your target and hope for the best. Both also tend to have a 8-15% chance of not being effective (according to police studies). Whether you think thats low enough to bet you or your familys life on is up to you. Stuff like pepper spray tends to be iffy in closed in environments and usually ends up blinding you as well. Less than lethal rounds tend to be pretty effective like bean bag rounds or rubber bullets, but thats also under the assumption the individual isnt hopped up on something and can actually feel pain.

Again it comes down to how much of a chance youre willing to take. Stuff like batons and bats are good too but once again they require getting close to a threat which is something thats especially risky for females, younger teens who are home alone and the elderly. This is also assuming the threat doesnt have friends (I remember reading a report from an ex-swat guy who mentioned something like 40% of home invasions involve more than one perpetrator). A gun has its own negatives, but in a bad situation it is the only method that eliminates as many variables as possible.

Of course the first method should be to make sure an individual cant actually get in your home to begin with. Security doors with steel sidings with steel locks along with security film on windows makes it very difficult for someone to get in who really wants to. With those, solar cameras and lights around the property and a proper alarm system hooked to everything. But then not everyone has the means to spend $2000-3000+ on those when a used handgun or shotgun goes for $150 and can very easily make sure a threat is eliminated.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I was in that situation, I would prefer to have a gun than without. Screw statistics, screw mishaps, people shouldn't lose their sense of safety in their own home to accommodate home Invaders without any way of self-defense.

If gun control people could wrestle and defeat pro-gun arguments that revolve around defending themselves without resorting to basically saying "Your safety is not my concern.", gun control would be so much passable. As is, your attitude is probably a pro-gun wet dream.

This story isn't even a clear self defense story tho. The dude was immediately arrested like in her yard. Outcome probably would've been the same if she'd barricaded the door or blocked up another room.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Stun guns are risky. Easy to get taken from you in a struggle or worse yet accidentally stun your self (same with knives). Tasers basically have 1-2 shots to hit your target and hope for the best. Both also tend to have a 8-15% chance of not being effective (according to police studies). Whether you think thats low enough to bet you or your familys life on is up to you. Stuff like pepper spray tends to be iffy in closed in environments and usually ends up blinding you as well. Less than lethal rounds tend to be pretty effective like bean bag rounds or rubber bullets, but thats also under the assumption the individual isnt hopped up on something and can actually feel pain.

Again it comes down to how much of a chance youre willing to take. Stuff like batons and bats are good too but once again they require getting close to a threat which is something thats especially risky for females, younger teens who are home alone and the elderly. This is also assuming the threat doesnt have friends (I remember reading a report from an ex-swat guy who mentioned something like 40% of home invasions involve more than one perpetrator). A gun has its own negatives, but in a bad situation it is the only method that eliminates as many variables as possible.

Of course the first method should be to make sure an individual cant actually get in your home to begin with. Security doors with steel sidings with steel locks along with security film on windows makes it very difficult for someone to get in who really wants to. With those, solar cameras and lights around the property and a proper alarm system hooked to everything. But then not everyone has the means to spend $2000-3000+ on those when a used handgun or shotgun goes for $150 and can very easily make sure a threat is eliminated.

This kind of sucks. I feel like we should have better options by now.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Shouldn't the house alarm have gone off if he was kicking the front door? The noise should have scared him away or attracted the neighbours attention.
What, no. People don't automatically scare from alarms. You are thinking of regular burglars. This dude already wasn't afraid to make noise if he went to bust the door in and went for her while she announced she had a gun.

People are not always rational actors, especially in criminal situations.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
What, no. People don't automatically scare from alarms. You are thinking of regular burglars. This dude already wasn't afraid to make noise if he went to bust the door in and went for her while she announced she had a gun.

People are not always rational actors, especially in criminal situations.
IKR. "She's got a gun, willing to use it.. that doesn't bother me. However, if I hear that alarm, I'm outta here!" Yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily he didn't get killed?

That's what we are lucky about? Not the fact that the man could have done who knows what to that woman and her kids?

Luckily....those kids are ok, luckily that woman is ok. Fuck that guy.

Two things can be fortunate. It's also of course good that no harm came to the victim or her children. But if it's between a home invader being killed and a home invader being tried and convicted, I prefer him not being killed.

If it makes you feel better, that sentence was meant to read as "He's lucky he didn't get killed."

Speaking of convicting, is it weird to anyone else the women with him wasn't charged? Lucky for HER he got shot, or she'd probably be looking at time too.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Here's the thing about home invasions. A lot of times you see on FB people posting videos of ring video door bell security images. They show people looking in Windows and trying to get into locked doors. Cops are called the next day and the home owner is always told "we can't do anything unless they physically break in"

That's why people own guns, our own laws prevent the police from going after people for failed b&e's.
The only prevantive thing we have is our guns. Cops will not get there in time, if someone still wants to break in after a home owner states they have a gun, those people are going to eat bullets.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing about home invasions. A lot of times you see on FB people posting videos of ring video door bell security images. They show people looking in Windows and trying to get into locked doors. Cops are called the next day and the home owner is always told "we can't do anything unless they physically break in"

That's why people own guns, our own laws prevent the police from going after people for failed b&e's.
The only prevantive thing we have is our guns. Cops will not get there in time, if someone still wants to break in after a home owner states they have a gun, those people are going to eat bullets.

Yeah, be sure there's actually a break in. Don't wanna be this guy:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wa...fter-stopping-to-ask-for-directions-to-school

Oct 27, 2017
No one has even hinted that if someone simply knocks on our door, they'll get shot. So, no worries.

Never said they did! Just pointed out why it makes sense to be sure it's an actual burglary! Because in this case someone was shot at for knocking on a door.

The guy who shot also previously shot at someone in a road rage incident.

So you're comparing my example of 2:00 a.m. Intruders on a homeowners property to that?

People looking in your windows and trying to get into your house aren't looking for directions.

No, I'm not comparing it to that. I'm giving an example of why it's good to make sure there's a home invasion before vigilantying. Where did 2 AM come from? Also, you're saying the cops won't get there in time in a thread where the cops showed up the moment the shooting happened, just so ya know.

Are you saying the cops should be able/willing to go after people if they knock on your window?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Never said they did! Just pointed out why it makes sense to be sure it's an actual burglary!

No, I'm not comparing it to that. I'm giving an example of why it's good to make sure there's a home invasion before vigilantying. Where did 2 AM come from? Also, you're saying the cops won't get there in time in a thread where the cops showed up the moment the shooting happened, just so ya know.

Are you saying the cops should be able/willing to go after people if they knock on your window?
The cops did pretty good to be there after he already broke down the door and only left because he was shot. They got him near the home, not at the home, and that was after the shooting, not when it happened. That being said, if someone is knocking at your window, and you tell them to leave, and they don't, that's trespassing.

We had plenty of calls also for people knocking on doors, windows, and the home occupants didn't know the person(s) at the door/window, so they called the police to come. Mostly elderly people or single women with kids called for those types of instances. We would at least identify these people so if something comes up, we at least have a place to start when investigating.

Oct 27, 2017
The cops did pretty good to be there after he already broke down the door and only left because he was shot. They got him near the home, not at the home, and that was after the shooting, not when it happened. That being said, if someone is knocking at your window, and you tell them to leave, and they don't, that's trespassing.

We had plenty of calls also for people knocking on doors, windows, and the home occupants didn't know the person(s) at the door/window, so they called the police to come. Mostly elderly people or single women with kids called for those types of instances. We would at least identify these people so if something comes up, we at least have a place to start when investigating.

Yeah makes sense to take a report for suspicious activity. The way ghost phrased made it sound like he feels those people should be able to be prosecuted. Not sure.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
This happened in the town I live in. Good for her and thank God she did what she needed to do to protect her family.