• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Fallout made it! Nice!

Hey man :D, shall we call you Charlie or is SMN the preferred handle?

Want to buy my first mechanics tools set. Any recommendations?

You can get fairly complete tool kits for around 100 or 200 dollars. If think you need European / metric tools, not in inches since it's a Japanese bike.

Something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duralast-7...Tool-Set-SAE-Metric-1-4-3-8-1-2-/391910450316 (though it looks like that's both inches and metric)

This also looks fairly complete, haha https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-057...620363?hash=item48a426530b:g:8nMAAOSwbw1Z9rvK (but this as well seems to be a mixed tool kit that includes SAE tools (which are tools measured in inches I think?)

I really don't think your bike has anything on it that needs SAE, so it might be better to look for something that has metric only.
Unless you plan to buy Buell somewhere down the line.

Make sure you don't go too cheap though. Stripping a bolt because an inferior tool couldn't get a proper grip on it fucking sucks.

Also, a torque wrench is very nice to have since pretty much every bolt will have a specific torque setting.

Last edited:

blackprophesy

Oct 28, 2017
Want to buy my first mechanics tools set. Any recommendations?
Depends on budget. After years of buying cheap full sets, I've learned it's better to spend more on specific tools as you need them. So if I need torx wrenches I'll just buy high quality torx set (like a Bahco) cause I know it'll last me forever.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I've been trying to switch my riding style to two fingers on the brake lever at all times, however, it feels kinda weird and uncomfortable. Could it be the lever is too far away for my fingers? It could also be because at first I thought my fingers should wrap the break lever at all times but I've switched to "resting" my fingers on the lever until I need to break then I engage.

I think I'll stick with it until it feels natural. I've had some breaking situations were I don't close the throttle completely (still adapting I guess). Seems to be the safest way to control the breaks.

Last edited:

Kaze13

Oct 25, 2017
Hi MotoEra! Two are better than four unless you have a nice little sports car too. I have a 2007 Triumph 675 but it's currently out of commish due to a low side and is in need of repair. She will be worked on and get going again soon I hope. Also, I have a 2004 R6 track bike. Haven't used her in a while though :( What I would like is a Yamaha XSR700 though! Beautiful bikes.

edit: I'll post pics here when I get a chance.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The Yamaha 2018 Motorcycles - Show Room JAPAN

Yamaha certainly has some interesting motorcycles... They've got motorcycles, 4 wheelers, scooters and bicycles. I think some of these might be concepts?

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to hear my brakes shrieking a little too much. Do you guys experience some amount of squeaking/shrieking or should I take a serious look at my brakes? Both front and back.

Last edited:

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I'm starting to hear my brakes shrieking a little too much. Do you guys experience some amount of squeaking/shrieking or should I take a serious look at my brakes? Both front and back.

Is it getting cold where you are? Brakes can get noisier when cold starts to creep in. Pads are easy enough to check on bikes, just take a peek in each caliper.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Pop your pads out and check if they're in need of replacement. A bit of copper grease on the back never hurt either

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Is it getting cold where you are? Brakes can get noisier when cold starts to creep in. Pads are easy enough to check on bikes, just take a peek in each caliper.

It has gotten colder. I took a peek and they look fine, but I'm not sure I know what to look for. It is also relatively hard to peek.

Pop your pads out and check if they're in need of replacement. A bit of copper grease on the back never hurt either

I need to google how to do this lol.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
There are some good videos online, but generally just remove your calliper and take a look at the pad surface. If you're removing the pads I find it easier to slacken the retaining pin while the calliper is still attached as it can be very stiff.

It's worth learning to do anyway as you end up with a lot of brake dust and crap in there, so I like to give the callipers a good clean at least once a year.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I offered someone to ride their Ninja 300 back to their apartment from the dealer for them. He wasn't very comfortable as he had just finished the MSF and to get to the apt's, there was a major highway. So, I rode it back for him from the dealer! I know all about that having to be self taught. Sucks, so I sympathize.

Can't say for sure as my time is limited but, that little Ninja 300 might kick my KLR's butt in a race!

It was a lot of fun though. Fun bike.

I can cross, "ride a sports bike" off the bucket list?

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
My brother's first bike was a EX300, and EX400 is even better.

This class of bikes have seen a major expansion in the racing scene, both regionally and nationally in USA. It is now one of the most popular class in regional and MotoAmerica will be running their own 300 class in 2018 by adopting the FIM 300 rules.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to have a little 300 for a track, but if they're anything like the Ninja 250 I rode, I don't want one for the road. Not enough grunt to get me out of the way.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Those 300s do seem perennially popular as starter bikes in the US

The new 400 looks pretty awesome, IMO

kawasaki20ninja20400231swa.jpg

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Have been fooling around with my XB12Scg's suspension setup. I had feared that, given the small amount of travel this bike's suspension has due to it being lowered, I would not be able to get it to behave much better, but I have to say, after tweaking a few things it is much improved. Previously any little bump would go straight into my spine instead of the suspension, now it actually seems to absorb small to medium sized bumps pretty well. First I set things back to the factory default and then just softened the compression setting. Which is what absorbs the bumps if I'm correct. I actually increased the rebound a little in order to straighten out any increased wobble the softer compression setting might cause. No idea if that line of thinking is correct, but it seems to work. Front also seems to be a little less nervous under the immense acceleration this thing is capable of.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
. First I set things back to the factory default and then just softened the compression setting. Which is what absorbs the bumps if I'm correct. I actually increased the rebound a little in order to straighten out any increased wobble the softer compression setting might cause.

The spring controls the amount of absorption, as in the unit of the spring rate lbs/in, compression controls "at what rate" or how fast/slow the spring is absorbing it and rebound control "at what rate" or how fast/slow is being returned to its uncompressed state.

Why did you lower the bike? It alters the bike's geometry and decreased suspension travel is never a good thing.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The spring controls the amount of absorption, as in the unit of the spring rate lbs/in, compression controls "at what rate" or how fast/slow the spring is absorbing it and rebound control "at what rate" or how fast/slow is being returned to its uncompressed state.

Sounds about right.

Why did you lower the bike? It alters the bike's geometry and decreased suspension travel is never a good thing.

I didn't, the XB12Scg comes lowered by the factory. It's a bit too short for me, but seeing as how they don't make these bikes anymore, when a mint example Scg came up for sale last year, it was the only way to acquire one with very little miles.

So yeah, trying to compensate for that.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you can't go modifying a future classic now, even if it does make it ride worse

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Right ;)

Though yeah, I think I did a pretty good job with it.

Also sent an email to the local Buell place inquiring about a higher seat. Something called a 'Skyline' seat should be available to give it another couple cm's in seat height at least.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I got my 1st motorcycle a few months ago. Took a class, which was required to get a mc license, and now am out riding(when it's not raining).

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Going on my second ride this Sunday. Roads might be wet. I'll enjoy going 5 mph over the mountains tho.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
When I started riding I forgot to turn on the fuel tap several times. The first time I had the phone in my hand ready to call for a tow truck before I realised the fuel was off

Needless to say I don't miss having a fuel tap. Or a choke!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Bike stopped getting gas. I was on the highway. I didn't think it was gas because I could hear it if I shook the bike. Like I mentioned earlier, no clue about the reserve tank or how to access it. Called the wife, she picked me up. Left the bike on the side of the road because it was like 11pm. Called a tow truck the next day. Had it dropped off at the only place in town that does motorcycle repairs. Being the only guy in town meant he didn't get to it till the next week. He ended up tightening the spark plugs, changed the oil, and some other stuff. He showed me how to switch to reserve and what I need to look out for. Ended up being around $150. Nothing earth shattering but still, just an unexpected cost.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
When I started riding I forgot to turn on the fuel tap several times. The first time I had the phone in my hand ready to call for a tow truck before I realised the fuel was off

Needless to say I don't miss having a fuel tap. Or a choke!
Yeah, I don't know what that is. The fuel tap. I know what the choke is.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Ok, I know what that is. Dude who worked on my bike told me to keep it on off when I'm not riding. Also suggested a battery tender.
That will make it easy to charge the battery if needed. I have one on mine!

The reason you want to keep the fuel petcock (that's what it is called) off when not riding is so that you don't overfill the carburetor. I know my KLR650 has a safety thing where it will help prevent that. I usually not worry about it unless I'll store the bike for a long time. Like, a few months. Haven't had that happen yet though. Your bike might be different. Not sure if it has that safety thing as well.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time you don't need to leave the fuel tap/petcock off when not riding, but it's always best practice

When my wife was learning and we had her awful Chinese 125, I once came into the garage to find fuel flowing out of the carbeuretor and onto the floor, so that's what can happen if your bike is shit and you leave the fuel on!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I do love the Tracer 900. I wonder how much the GT will cost, the standard bike is £9000 here (was £8k, thank you currency markets)

Check out the new Honda CB1000. I complained for years that the old one was a bit pedestrian in the looks department, this certainly looks more unique

118690_2018_cb1000rdpj92.jpg

blackprophesy

Oct 28, 2017
That Tracer 900 GT is really nice! Looks very comfortable. The new Triumph Tigers have just been announced now. I will definitely be checking those out at my dealers when they're available.
New TFT screens, LED headlights, rider modes. Could well be my next bike. Any brand I end up going with, it'll be of the same ilk, Tracer 900, Tiger 800, BMW GS 800 etc. Mid-size and comfortable with all the creature comforts.

800 XR

2018-Triumph-Tiger-800-XRT-05.jpg