• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question at work so o can't really search through this thread. I'm watching a movie at I0 eat it ends at midnight. Will i be able to purchase a ticket for tommorrow or do o have yo wait for a certain time to reset.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hate the new app. Like, I don't care if it looks cooler and has a slick map if it's a janky unresponsive mess when I'm standing at the theater trying to reserve my ticket.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any issues with innacurate GPS using Iphone X? Was at the theater yesterday and it prevented my gf from checking in, ended up going home.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is something new, and unwelcome...
MoviePass doesn't work for Red Sparrow today. This is for regular, 2D, non-premium screenings.

Quick question at work so o can't really search through this thread. I'm watching a movie at I0 eat it ends at midnight. Will i be able to purchase a ticket for tommorrow or do o have yo wait for a certain time to reset.

I saw this way too late, but yes.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
MoviePass doesn't work for Red Sparrow today. This is for regular, 2D, non-premium screenings.

What do you mean? It doesn't work at your theater or they've blocked the movie from being eligible for moviepass at all theaters?

Checking reddit for more info and it seems like they're bringing back the "take a photo of your ticket stub" again? Really? Ugh.

And now I see the reports that Red Sparrow is unavailable for some regions. Sets a terrible, terrible precedent for this service, not that I was going to see Red Sparrow anyway. Was this at the studio's request, or is this trying to prove some kind of point to them?

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I saw this way too late, but yes.

I saw that red sparrow was a higher price at one theater for a normal showing near me so it wouldn't work. I'll just watch it another day.

In other news, they are once again requiring a photo of your ticket stub before you can purchase your next ticket. Hoping that isn't going to be super annoying.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
MoviePass sent out a new email saying people will be required to take photos of their ticket stubs after purchase and will not be able to buy a new ticket until that's done
MoviePass email said:
We are implementing a few systems to protect our service from fraudulent activity to ensure that MoviePass is sustainable for the entire community. As part of this initiative, we will soon begin testing some new safeguards.

Starting over the next few days, after you purchase a movie ticket with your MoviePass card, you will need to upload a photo of your ticket stub. This photo needs to be uploaded before you're able to purchase your next movie ticket through MoviePass. You'll be prompted to submit the photo of your ticket stub through the MoviePass app. This feature will help us better track user behavior and ensure that subscribers are abiding by our Terms of Use. We appreciate your cooperation as we test out this new process.

The process is really simple. All you'll have to do is enable camera access for your MoviePass app, and then the app will prompt you to take a photo of your ticket stub after you purchase a movie ticket. Once the photo verification is processed (this will only take seconds), you'll be able to purchase your next ticket the following day. We don't believe this extra step should impact your experience.

Feels like this is the beginning of the end, making users go through complicated and silly hoops like this while not really preventing anything - just take your ticket to the attendant and switch it for another one, MoviePass has accomplished absolutely nothing but make buying a ticket a much longer process. I'd be surprised if MoviePass is still a functioning business now in 6 months.

key

Nov 7, 2017
MoviePass sent out a new email saying people will be required to take photos of their ticket stubs after purchase and will not be able to buy a new ticket until that's done

Feels like this is the beginning of the end, making users go through complicated and silly hoops like this while not really preventing anything - just take your ticket to the attendant and switch it for another one, MoviePass has accomplished absolutely nothing but make buying a ticket a much longer process. I'd be surprised if MoviePass is still a functioning business now in 6 months.

I didn't get that email.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love the stub idea. Anyone abusing this should be kicked off. I want it to stick around for as long as possible.

Please Moviepass, DO hurt 'em.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't mind it in theory, but it's just one more potential point of failure.

Yeah, this. I realize this is just re-enabling a "feature" they had prior, so in theory the implementation should be relatively straight forward, but their abysmal customer service combined with their iffy app technology makes me hesitant. I mean if they can't keep the servers up during prime time movie hours (and apparently the service just went down 10 minutes ago or so), how much worse is it going to be with every single user uploading photos via the app to whatever backend service they choose?

And if the app is blocking you from doing anything until you upload a ticket, and it's bugged and you can't contact customer service, well, good luck.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Love the stub idea. Anyone abusing this should be kicked off. I want it to stick around for as long as possible.

Please Moviepass, DO hurt 'em.

Yep. My girlfriend and I each have a pass, we see just a few movies per month, and we only buy tickets for ourselves. It's not sustainable with people getting greedy and buying multiple tickets for the same future show and I don't want them ruining it for us.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yep. My girlfriend and I each have a pass, we see just a few movies per month, and we only buy tickets for ourselves. It's not sustainable with people getting greedy and buying multiple tickets for the same future show and I don't want them ruining it for us.

I mean, honestly, it's not sustainable period, I don't care what the CEO says. But they will certainly bleed through money a lot slower without rampant abuse.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never seen anything about this stub thing. How do you send the pic?
I can't find an option in the app.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this. I realize this is just re-enabling a "feature" they had prior, so in theory the implementation should be relatively straight forward, but their abysmal customer service combined with their iffy app technology makes me hesitant. I mean if they can't keep the servers up during prime time movie hours (and apparently the service just went down 10 minutes ago or so), how much worse is it going to be with every single user uploading photos via the app to whatever backend service they choose?

And if the app is blocking you from doing anything until you upload a ticket, and it's bugged and you can't contact customer service, well, good luck.
When did they have this feature previously? I've been a subscriber for over 5 years, this has never been a component. Unless it was part of the voucher system before they rolled out the cards? Wasn't a member then.
What happens if you threw away your ticket?
Take the picture immediately after purchase. It'll quickly become a habit.

All of this being said, I never got an email talking about this addition, nor did I see any issues with Red Sparrow showings tonight. I guess they've got some programs in testing.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of this being said, I never got an email talking about this addition, nor did I see any issues with Red Sparrow showings tonight. I guess they've got some programs in testing.

At least for me, I think my local theater had the wrong price for the showing as the other few nearby had the normal ticket price.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was going crazy. Just got to the theater 10 minutes ago and Red Sparrow wasn't supported in the app.

I ended up moviepassing a ticket for Black Panther.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The wheels are coming off on this thing so I'm getting all the movies in that I can before it folds.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
No e-mail here, either. I'm fine with taking a picture of the stub if it helps curb abuse. Come to think I haven't even updated to the newer version of the app yet, since it seemed there were some bugs last week.

The only issue I actually have with MP isn't with MP itself. It's the stigma. I only see movies I'm interested in, anywhere from 6-9 per month. I split my visits between the two theaters in my area, maybe going to each place once in a weekend. You can see the disgust in someone's face when they recognize a MP user or see that bright red card. Maybe it's because I don't buy snacks and popcorn? One of the theaters has e-reservations which is nice, but now they're saying they want to see my reservation code in the app (I usually write it down on paper and print the ticket at a kiosk instead of standing in line during busy evenings). Theaters are in their right to do as they wish but I'm not sure how a person could even cheat the system or create fake reservation codes from within the MP app.

Anyway, if MP dies I'll be sad to not see all the new movies as they come but another part of me will be relieved. No, I'm not being forced to go to the theater, but while I love the theatrical experience actually going to the theater has become increasingly awkward.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
No e-mail here, either. I'm fine with taking a picture of the stub if it helps curb abuse. Come to think I haven't even updated to the newer version of the app yet, since it seemed there were some bugs last week.

The only issue I actually have with MP isn't with MP itself. It's the stigma. I only see movies I'm interested in, anywhere from 6-9 per month. I split my visits between the two theaters in my area, maybe going to each place once in a weekend. You can see the disgust in someone's face when they recognize a MP user or see that bright red card. Maybe it's because I don't buy snacks and popcorn? One of the theaters has e-reservations which is nice, but now they're saying they want to see my reservation code in the app (I usually write it down on paper and print the ticket at a kiosk instead of standing in line during busy evenings). Theaters are in their right to do as they wish but I'm not sure how a person could even cheat the system or create fake reservation codes from within the MP app.

Anyway, if MP dies I'll be sad to not see all the new movies as they come but another part of me will be relieved. No, I'm not being forced to go to the theater, but while I love the theatrical experience actually going to the theater has become increasingly awkward.

I don't know why it feels like that to you. I was in line with like 3 other people that had moviepass. I think it has issues so some people are just impatient and roll their eyes.

I typically don't buy any snacks but since I started using movie pass I spend a decent amount on popcorn and overpriced drinks.

Are the theatres losing money? Isn't moviepass paying them still?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Are you sure you're not imagining it, though (or maybe those employees have the same look for everyone)? Because I can't see how movie pass affects the employees at all, besides maybe more work for them if more people are going to movies, and if that's the case they just hate their job.

From the standpoint of a major chain, I can see why they consider them a threat, but in the short term they're still getting money, regardless of whether you buy concessions or not; it's not like you were going to go to the theater 6-9 times a month without the pass.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hope I have enough time to watch annihilation, game time and red sparrow. Don't die yet Moviepass.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The only employees I've interacted with that saw me using MoviePass have been positive about it. One guy laughed and said he would be getting it as soon as he left for school.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the land of cynicism (NYC) and have only had positive reactions to MP in the years I've used it! Even when AMC was stomping around a bit.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Haven't gotten that email yet, but it does sorta seem like MoviePass is in panic mode lately. Pretty much everything they've done this calendar year has been some kind of cost-cutting or loss prevention measure. Banning the most highly trafficked AMC theaters, banning users, forcing annual subs so they get $100 upfront rather than $10, now requiring ticket stub photos.

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they bring back tiered pricing.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure you're not imagining it

...pretty sure. It's almost as if different people can have different experiences with things. ;)

You're right, there's no apparent reason for theaters to dislike MP for bringing them more business. Yet AMC's grumbling about MP is well-known, and one of my theaters is AMC. The other theater is weird - for example, I was picking up tickets from the counter once and the manager was helping me. She was polite and smiling, then after entering the reservation number asked me if it was from MP. I said yes, then she stopped smiling and handed me my ticket without saying anything like they usually do ("You're in theater 5. Enjoy the show."). It's just been a number of awkward exchanges such as that, which puzzles me because it's not like I go every day or overuse the service.

I think it's mainly because I don't buy overpriced junk food like other regular moviegoers. So, the theaters might see people like me as freeloaders who are getting super cheap tickets but not actually supporting the theater with concession purchases. It may sound strange but people can be weird sometimes.

This image best summarizes my MP experience:
fWawJ9n.png

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

I think you overestimate how many people try to undermine the system by swapping tickets at the customer service desk or box office. This will only affect a small demographic who feels the need to abuse an already extremely affordable service for people who like going to movie theaters more than once a month in order to see a special viewing, or 3D/Imax film for cheap. Won't affect me. I have already gotten my moneys worth out of an annual subscription in the 3 months i've had it, and in the very unlikely scenario MoviePass DOES fail in 6 months time, I will be more than happy to have gotten to value I have out of it.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Maybe it's my area in California, but I still can't see Red Sparrow today at all. it's very weird...

Edit: okay must be some sort of app glitch as when I look at it by selecting a theater it says the movie isn't supported but if I select like new movies in recent releases it'll show nearby theaters and their time and I can check in fine...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I didn't read it too carefully, but aren't you taking a picture of your stub, not the full ticket (ie: only the part that's left once you've entered the theater)? That's actually a decent way of doing it, since it's a much bigger hassle to take your stub and go get another ticket. If it's just the full ticket, then yeah, easily returned.

Nov 13, 2017
...pretty sure. It's almost as if different people can have different experiences with things. ;)

You're right, there's no apparent reason for theaters to dislike MP for bringing them more business. Yet AMC's grumbling about MP is well-known, and one of my theaters is AMC. The other theater is weird - for example, I was picking up tickets from the counter once and the manager was helping me. She was polite and smiling, then after entering the reservation number asked me if it was from MP. I said yes, then she stopped smiling and handed me my ticket without saying anything like they usually do ("You're in theater 5. Enjoy the show."). It's just been a number of awkward exchanges such as that, which puzzles me because it's not like I go every day or overuse the service.

I think it's mainly because I don't buy overpriced junk food like other regular moviegoers. So, the theaters might see people like me as freeloaders who are getting super cheap tickets but not actually supporting the theater with concession purchases. It may sound strange but people can be weird sometimes.

This image best summarizes my MP experience:
fWawJ9n.png
This is ON POINT. I've been to so many empty theaters with my MoviePass. Can't stop, won't stop!

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if the stub thing is true, I guess that means no more buying tickets for showings in the future. It's such a first world problem, but going to the theater just before a movie starts (like MP kind of requires you to do) instead of buying in advance is a pain when most showings in my area these days are reserved seating. If you don't buy the tickets hours or sometimes days in advance, most of the non-shitty seats are taken. And there are no e-ticket theaters in my area, so that's out of the question.

I know it's gaming the system, but I don't really see why it's such a problem if I'm actually seeing the movie I checked into. Even if they let you buy tickets for the following day only, it'd be perfect.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Technically, you could buy the ticket for the movie, take a picture of the stub, then trade it at Customer Service for the ticket you want. Even if it's a used stub I have never had trouble exchanging it.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Fuck, really?

I just wanted to take my friends to Infinity War by saving up daily tickets for a week.

UGH.

I'd consider my offense the most chaotic neutral of them all, but okay.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
They said on Twitter that this is just a feature they're beta testing on random users.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I know it's gaming the system, but I don't really see why it's such a problem if I'm actually seeing the movie I checked into. Even if they let you buy tickets for the following day only, it'd be perfect.

It's a problem because of this:

Fuck, really?

I just wanted to take my friends to Infinity War by saving up daily tickets for a week.

UGH.

I'd consider my offense the most chaotic neutral of them all, but okay.

Even if you only do the next day, you can still get two people in. If they wanted to do that they should have a system where buying tomorrow's ticket takes up both today and tomorrow's allotment.