Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Our Man Flint (1966): The story itself isn't that interesting, but it did leave to a good number of humorous moments. To my surprise, we have a Bond parody who treats women better than the actual Bond (at least at the time).
Certainly not the last scene. I remember seeing what happened there and looking it up to confirm I didn't imagine it. One of the background actors, a sailor, is clearly seen groping the breast of one of the women as he helps her into a boat at the end.

IMDB says:

When the girls are being rescued from the cylinders near the end, a sailor can be clearly seen to grope a girl's breast.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
large_on-the-count-of-three-movie-poster-2022.jpeg

Would describe it as a dark buddy comedy. Considering the very morbid premise and the struggles the main characters face, movie had a lot of humor mixed in with the tragedy. 2 lead performances are very good and you buy them as lifelong friends.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Maestro (2023)

This film was absolutely fine. I've seen Cooper in some interviews saying how he was made to be a Director after acting for so many years and how it's giving him a step up on how to direct. I don't know. Watching these probably didn't heighten my viewing experience.

It felt like an Oscar baity sandwich really. Looks really nice but the filling isn't there. I like the directing but his actor ranges from decent to over-the-top. The nose didn't actually bother me in the film. Carey was great though. Bernstein was a complicated character but isn't everyone? I feel like I'd get more out of just reading his Wiki page than this film.

I jokingly wrote on my Letterboxd that this is the second film in the BCCCU (Bradley Cooper Cigarette Cinematic Universe), after Nightmare Alley. Dude knows how to puff!

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did a triple feature today

Fallen Leaves
When I saw that this was playing in my area, I was kind of surprised that it was less than 90 mins long (81 min runtime). Aside from that, I thought the movie was pretty good. No time was wasted, and while it can be a bit sad, it does end on a happy note.

The Iron Claw
Heard of the Von Erichs but never watched Dark Side of the Ring episode on them or another material involving them, so I didn't really know all the different tragedies that befell them. It was a decent movie and I thought Efron was pretty damn good.

Ferrari
Didn't think it was possible for a Michael Mann movie to nearly put me to sleep, but here we are. An incredibly boring movie. Even the car crashes featured in the movie couldn't get a reaction out of me.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
large_bottoms-movie-poster-2023.jpeg

More cartoony than I expected, but the absurd humor worked better for me than some of the more straightforward plot elements.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
It's fun how the last two movies I watched propelled themselves into my top 10 of the year. I just watched Saltburn and Priscilla, and wow... amazing, amazing movies. I don't want to hear how both of them are starring Jacob Elordi. I know.

This year's top 10 will be interesting.

large_bottoms-movie-poster-2023.jpeg

More cartoony than I expected, but the absurd humor worked better for me than some of the more straightforward plot elements.

I LOVED this one. Best comedy of the year. On my top 10 also.

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite films I watched this year-
-The Piano Teacher (2001) Michael Haneke
-The Eye's Dream (2016) Hisayasu Sato
-Moebius (2013) Kim Ki-duk
-RRR (2022) S S. Rajamouli
-Decision to Leave (2022) Park Chan-wook
-Performance (1970) Donald Cammell & Nicolaus Roeg
-Huesera: The Bone Woman (2022) Michelle Garza Cervera
-Ms. 45 (1981) Abel Ferrara
-The Stylist (2019) Jill Gevargizian
-Rec (2007) Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza
-The Eyes of My Mother (2016) Nicolas Pesce
-Perpetrator (2023) Jennifer Reeder
-Detention (2019) John Hsu
-Primer (2004) Shane Caruth
-The Addiction (1995) Abel Ferrara

2023_favs.png

I watched The Eyes Dream earlier this month and posted a review in the horror thread-
www.resetera.com

Horror Fan Era: Eternally Overlooked

The Eye's Dream (2016) 7 years after it's debut, Hisayasu Sato's film is finally available outside of the festival circuit via a Blu-ray released in Japan this week. I imported a copy since it has English subtitles and wasn't disappointed after waiting so long to see it. Funded by Verena...

hutton

Feb 20, 2018
I saw Leave the World Behind and I really liked it. It was suspenseful and the "mystery" kept me interested through the whole movie. Ethan Hawke and Mahershala Ali's portrayals of opposite dads were great. 8/10.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Prey-Movie-Review.jpg

After diving in Predator for the first time just this October, I wanted to see what the fuss with Prey was all about. And it is earned! An absolutely fantastic flick that knows how to follow the example set in the first movie without being derivative of it (attempts to go beat-for-beat get subverted).

An admittedly slow but careful start; it had me totally engaged by the end. Combat is crafty and clever, and manages to do a lot of violence without (surprisingly) being overly gory and gross about it (and even though a lot of horrible stuff DOES happens).

Amber Midthunder kills it in the lead, and again features a fantastic status quo flip as soon as she learns the "rules" to engage the Predator.

Bonus points just because the dog doesn't die (and a pox upon any media that does otherwise! A pox, I say!!).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, Prey was good, I want to rewatch that at some point.

I'm mentioning Tintin here because I recently found out it's leaving Netflix in a few days so I watched it for the first time. Great stuff. Very reminiscent of Indiana Jones (also Spielberg ofc) with a touch of Uncharted too.

There is also a bunch of DC content leaving Max at EOY btw.

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite films I watched this year-
-The Piano Teacher (2001) Michael Haneke
-The Eye's Dream (2016) Hisayasu Sato
-Moebius (2013) Kim Ki-duk
-RRR (2022) S S. Rajamouli
-Decision to Leave (2022) Park Chan-wook
-Performance (1970) Donald Cammell & Nicolaus Roeg
-Huesera: The Bone Woman (2022) Michelle Garza Cervera
-Ms. 45 (1981) Abel Ferrara
-The Stylist (2019) Jill Gevargizian
-Rec (2007) Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza
-The Eyes of My Mother (2016) Nicolas Pesce
-Perpetrator (2023) Jennifer Reeder
-Detention (2019) John Hsu
-Primer (2004) Shane Caruth
-The Addiction (1995) Abel Ferrara

2023_favs.png

I watched The Eyes Dream earlier this month and posted a review in the horror thread-
www.resetera.com

Horror Fan Era: Eternally Overlooked

The Eye's Dream (2016) 7 years after it's debut, Hisayasu Sato's film is finally available outside of the festival circuit via a Blu-ray released in Japan this week. I imported a copy since it has English subtitles and wasn't disappointed after waiting so long to see it. Funded by Verena...

Dig this poster collage! Is that a Letterbox pro feature?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My personal rankings for all of this year's Best Picture Oscar contenders...
  • Poor Things (10/10)
  • The Zone of Interest (9.5/10)
  • Oppenheimer (9.25/10)
  • American Fiction (8.75/10)
  • Barbie (8.5/10)
  • The Holdovers (8.25/10)
  • Anatomy of a Fall (8/10)
  • Past Lives (7.25/10)
  • Killers of the Flower Moon (7/10)
  • Air (6.75/10)
  • The Color Purple (6.25/10)
  • May December (6/10)
  • Maestro (4.25/10)
Don't believe anything else is seriously in the running. Golden Globe noms + The Color Purple feels like the de facto serious contenders pile.
Fully expect Barbenheimer to take home both of the Best Film Awards next weekend.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Sincere one. No wonder you reek of death."
Untitled-design-3.jpg

The Boy and the Heron
There's a certain satisfying nostalgia that is being activated when a Ghibli film can tap into the weird, cute, horrifying, and fantastic delights that are possible in animation in the form of bodies. This very much reminded of Spirited Away's more horrific creature subversions, such as the image of a man's mouth inside the mouth of the titular grey heron. Most of the hallmarks of a Miyazaki film are here, even including aviation briefly by Mahito's dad's factories producing airplane glass covers. Particularly appreciated Shinya Ohira's characteristic sketchy and kinetic animation (Masaaki Yuasa projects like especially Ping Pong The Animation, Akira, Ghost In The Shell 2, Kill Bill Vol 1, Animatrix: Kid's Story, and most Ghibli films) such as in the opening with the fire scenes, when you see Mahito running into the fire.

I'm also reminded of Pan's Labyrinth because of this fantastical adventure being set amongst the ruins of war. The film has such a strong confidence in turning the mundane into magic which often involved water in this Sea World, and this made the the magical realist fan in me soar. There are even psychedelic surreal '70s sci-fi visuals here involving white universe-altering blocks and a triangle hallway leading to evocatively huge arched hallways like out of a classical painting, and then interdimensional doors. There's very much a focus on awe-inspiring architecture such as in the physics-defying scale of the tower that in the Sea World reaches to the clouds or a gigantic boat that can grow a forest on the deck.

Mahito's character development from grieving avoidant child to heroic and caring parkour-friendly adventurer is a joy to watch. While the creatures here don't measure to the level of weird memorability as Spirited Away, they are still as cute and occasionally threatening, such as giant parakeets that carry bladed weapons or cute white blobs called warawara that turn into people in the real world and are under threat from pelicans. The relationship between Mahito and his new pregnant mom is sensitively handled, with a memorable sequence involving a delivery room.

The film is really good. The animation is amazing as expected, and you can see the years of hard work in the expressive animation and stunning painted backgrounds (although the little of the food here isn't as scrumptious looking). What takes it away from greatness is some of the ideas aren't fully fleshed out, the lack of cohesion in the fantasy world, and there isn't as believable a living ecosystem compared to things like the bath-house in Spirited Away. Because of this, we move from one location to another without the connective tissue, so we just watch things happening. The final shot is slightly anticlimactic in its abruptness, while I hoped it lingered on the sentimentality. As a "final film" for Hayao Miyazaki, The Wind Rises is a more thematically coherent and emotionally satisfying send-off to his career.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
49656dd1-5b60-4911-a6a8-dae61e6fb0d2.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I did the free 14 day trial for Crunchyroll, so I could check out the movie and get caught up with S2 of Jujutsu-Kaisen. It had been a while since I watched S1, but it was fun diving back into the world of the show with this prequel film. I enjoyed it and reminded me of some of the elements that quickly made me a fan of the anime. Watched via the app on my Xbox and had to deal with some buffering issues, but for being free I can't really complain.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
maxresdefault.jpg

By sheer luck I noticed it was added to SK Netflix yesterday. It felt a little long but really cool to see another Kim Jee-woon film after so many years!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
tombstone_7.png

Watched this last night. One of the podcasts I listen to, is always referencing it. Know I fully understand all the references. Thought it was an enjoyable Western with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer really standing out. Movie has a lot of actors, funny seeing Terry O Quinn with hair in a role.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Totally Killer: Another teen movie that ended up disappointing. The cast is fine, the black comedy is amusing and the action is brutal, but it's hard to see how the characters would act that way. The usual way the victims act stupidly through the first half of the show. 6/10

Killers of the Flower Moon: It's acted great as you'd expect, but like the book the perspective is on the wrong person. Hopefully we can get someone to do it under the lenses of Mollie. 7.75/10

Priscilla: It's a pretty standard affair for a biopic from a person you wouldn't expect. It's still good at its job 7/10

The Marvels: At times there's plenty to laugh at and has some solid action scenes, but it's hampered by a meandering plot and the most boring Marvel villain yet. 5/75/10

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: I can see the appeal the movie has. I liked most of the acting for the most part and the Hunger Games part was well done. Unfortunately the second act felt too plodding. And Snow's actor just didn't have it in him to portray him well. Not that the script did him any good. 6/10

Napoleon: I'm just not sure what Ripley Scott was trying to do with this movie. It's too much of a farce in dialogue to be a serious biopic, the action's too serious for it to be satire, the Napoleon/Josephine dynamic could be in contention for worst chemistry between actors this year and the dialogue's just completely ridiculous. And all of this is on top of the fact that it's a shortened version of the story that left out some key details. The battles themselves are the best you can when it comes to entertainment even if I think it's well done. 4.5/10

Wish: Rant time.

What the actual fuck is this?

Really Disney? This is supposed to be the cap of to 100 years of animation? This wouldn't be worthy of being one of your Direct-to-TV movies. The voice acting is fine and all, but at this point the franchise needs to evolve from 'quirky girl'. Not to mention you hardly used much of the rich history of Moors culture you could have used. Disney decided to try their hands on a Disney villain and we end up with trying to have their cake and eat it. Yeah, the king is reasonable... until he takes a permanent turn to evil for reading a book. Not that he's innocent or anything. This was an obvious ponzi scheme which at this point I'm shocked it didn't fall apart in the first few decades. And this is why. Either the king doesn't do enough to ensure that his kingdom is secure without dissent from the crowd complaining about their loss of focus or he's seen as too incompetent to know a damn thing about magic. All of this could have been explained if we got an actual explanation on how this stupid world works. We don't even get an explanation about how he became a sorcerer or how no one else has been able to get magic or even that dangling plot thread about his parents being killed by thieves which is probably bullshit yet we have no idea what went down.

The animation... it's alright. I appreciate that Disney is trying to do a hybrid form of CGI and hand-drawn animation, but here it seems more like cel-shading than anything. And it pales in comparison with what Dreamworks and Sony Animation has been doing as of late.

And then we have the characters themselves. Disney tried to be cute and put in references of various characters but only raised more questions.

But the most offensive thing about this movie is the songs. Like... I don't understand. Encanto was 2 years ago. How the fuck did it regress this much? Well we do know that they hired a pop songwriter to try their hand in Broadway music (specifically Lin Manuel Miranda), but that songwriter was way out of their depth in this aspect. All of this combined to what has to be the worst soundtrack I've ever seen from Disney. Just look at these lyrics. 'I let you live here for free And I don't even charge you rent'? 'When it comes to the universe we're all shareholders Get that trough your system (Solar!)'? How are these songs getting blown away from the damn copycat 90s movies? I'd take watching Quest for Camelot over this shit.

And you know what? We could have gotten a decent movie out of this. Not just the rumored changes like the star being a humanoid or Asha being the daughter of evil parents. The kids all could have had been tempted with wishes for their conditions. The scheme itself was actually pretty good if we got an explanation that Magnifico wiped everyone's memories on the concept of magic. Asha could have gone ahead and given everyone the chance to chase their dreams and live their lives in their own ways by giving access to magic to those who want it. We could have gotten that 100th anniversary celebration. Instead, we get this.... and the short film of all the characters that was actually pretty good.

When I look back at Space Jam: A New Legacy, I was horrified with how they saw their franchises (which was referenced pretty well in Rick and Morty). At least Warners Brothers was being honest about what they felt. Disney thinks they an imitate old stories into new things, throw in meager attempts of diversity and pat themselves in the back for a job well done. Well, all forms of media should be held accountable for standards that are acceptable for all. For a studio like Disney, this is an indictment of what's honestly been a shitty year for them. And if they continue with movies like this, then they deserve all the hate they're getting. 3/10

Trolls Band Together: Oh look. A movie that has characters go through believable arcs, funny humor and good songs. Seems like these things are hard to come by these days. Trolls 3 is far from perfect by any means, but it at least called back to characters I was wondering where they were (which I'm surprised they weren't referenced in the second movie). I wasn't expecting this to be the best movie I watched in November, but it gets the trophy be default. 6.5/10

The Buddy Holly Show (1978): This is an example of a movie that treated the biopic as too much of a biopic and not enough as a story to tell. It's pretty much a typical story of a musician who made it big and whose life was cut short in tragedy. I look back at La Bamba, a movie about another singer who died in that same plane crash, and see just how much better it does in making you care about the person and the people he interacted with. If you want to see a precursor of the live concert experience, it could be interesting for you to see. Otherwise it's a bit of a slog to get through. 5/10

Stranger than Fiction (2006): I think I'll be spending a lot of time in this era. In a way I miss these kind of mid-budget movies about well-known actors in quirky yet acting-rich stories. And this coming from Will Ferrell of all people? Emma Thompson sounded like she would be the perfect role as a narrator in a Larian CRPG game (and I want to wish that into existence). It also brings us an interesting question about giving agency to fictional characters much like Ruby Sparks did. It just puts you into a thinking mood. I liked what we got here and wish we had more movies like this hanging around. 7.5/10

Suddenly Last Summer (1959): After watching Devotion, I wanted to see if there were any other Elizabeth Taylor films I hadn't watched yet, and this one popped up. It's definitely a fascinating tale of a doctor walking into the entanglement of a mental health institution. I can't really say if it's actuate or not, but we got some great performances from Taylor as well as Hepburn and Montgomery Clift. There's some excellent unspoken acting from the women here as they both transform over the course of the film. 8/10

Eileen: Finally, some good fucking movies. After a disappointing November, we get what may be my favorite film of the year. Great acting from everyone involved which help put ourselves in the protagonist's shoes. Not even the abrupt ending hurt the film that much 8.75/10

Johnny Guitar (1954): If this movie shows one thing, it can show how horrifying mob rule can look for those on the other hand of a lynching. It also shows that Mercedes McCambridge is incredible playing the part of an unhinged maniacal antagonist... almost to the point that it's hard to believe people don't think she's crazy (of course she made it big in soap opera). It's a good watch if you're patient. 7/10

My Sister Eileen (1942): Here we have one of my favorite actors of all time Rosalind Russell in a bit of a crazy slapstick comedy with some serious moments sprinkled it. Here, she only uses up 20% of her power given she's supposed to be a Cincinnati newcomer of the big apple, but she still does great work here and there's a ton of funny moments throughout the movie. There's a lot of interesting characters here, some less savory than others and those characters do detract from the general tone of the movie. Otherwise, it was a fun movie to check out. Might as well see the 50s version as well. 8/10 (Wait, there was a 1960 show too? Goes to show that reboots are an evergreen trend).

Good Burger 2: I can't recommend this. The magic is long gone from here by now and the new characters can't really bring in anything memorable either. At least it's not terrible. 5/10

Sunshine (2007): Now this was an odd movie to check. Special effects wise, it's pretty impressive with what they were able to do at that time. We also have the rare sight of scientists actually acting like such. Even Chris Evan's classic brashness coincides with his mind as part of the group. It also goes in a bit of a crazy turn with attempts of sabotage and... super-humans? Anyways it's an insane movie. Not the best or my favorite but one I'd recommend just to experience what I did. 7/10

Sugarland Express: Now this is crazy because I actually lived in the area the movie took place. Both what happened in real life and what was shot in the movie. Hell, I still see that railroad bridge shown in the beginning today. It also made for a hilarious experience given the plan was to drive together to Sugar Land when the actual trip from the prison pictured would have taken at most 30 minutes even without the freeways built later in time. This is much of the same experience as Dog Day Afternoon as you believe the actor were lovers and the connection they get with the hostage feels believable... which makes it all the more depressing as the story continues. Inaccuracies aside, it's still a great movie. 8/10

It's Always Fair Weather (1955) : It's a classic tale of friends reconnecting, requiring the actors to make it believable, which they succeed here. I especially liked how the commercial business was explained where things were much worse here. You thought product placement was bad? Imagine watching a variety hour based on the company. It makes it a the more hilarious when they take the task of reconnecting the friends and take the credit for it when if it wasn't due to them (though they did inadvertably help save the day). The music's good even if it's not memorable and takes elements from other music. 7.5/10

Wonka: It's a good movie with good music and some good acting. It's not Paddington good, but good enough. 7/10

Poor Things: May well be my film of 2023. 8.75/10

Ferrari: I liked it and the driving animation is pretty good. The same goes for the acting, but I don't remember anything outstanding. 7/10

The Iron Claw: The way the television matched how it was back then was nice to see and the acting is pretty good (Ric Flair aside), but I was still a bit irked at what was left out which could have made it a better movie. 7.5/10

The Color Purple: It's a movie that has a lot of great acting and the songs are done well... but I don't think the transitions into the songs are done well. It felt like the movie didn't want to be a musical and struggled to find ways to make it one. 7/10

Triple Frontier (2019): It's more or less a boring bit of action film with the characters acting like idiots throughout the movie. 4/10

RRR (2022) Finally I got the family to watch this... with a little compromise with the movie above. It's just as crazy as I imagined with some insane stuntwork. 7.5/10

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The_Bronze_poster.png

Last movie I watched in 2023. I thought it was pretty funny, don't watch Big Bang Theory so this is the first time I watched Melissa Rauch in anything. Strong cast throughout.

Not sure if there will be a new thread for 2024.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Quiz_lady_poster.png

Pretty enjoyable. Awkafina and Sandra Oh have good chemistry as sisters. Will Ferrell makes for a good game show host. Although the story is mostly predictable, it still wraps up on an entertaining high note.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
images

A little bit difficult to follow with a limited knowledge of the Japanese language but great movie. Stupid I didn't now there was a limited English subbed release early November.

Anyway. They completely butchered Oda Nobunaga. The Oda Nobunaga in this movie would have never united Japan.

Ignoring the historical inaccuracies. It's a fun movie with a amazing cast. Typical Beat Takeshi humor and even though the runtime is 132 minutes it felt shorter

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
images

A little bit difficult to follow with a limited knowledge of the Japanese language but great movie. Stupid I didn't now there was a limited English subbed release early November.

Anyway. They completely butchered Oda Nobunaga. The Oda Nobunaga in this movie would have never united Japan.

Ignoring the historical inaccuracies. It's a fun movie with a amazing cast. Typical Beat Takeshi humor and even though the runtime is 132 minutes it felt shorter

This is one the films I am most looking forward to in 2024, being Kitano's final movie and all.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
I dismissed them when I was younger but I gave Tokyo Olympiad a try around the last Olympics and thought it was fantastic and the first part of the 1938 film was super interesting as a historical document.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Cool, I'll adjust my list and just watch Tokyo Olympiad as the 20th item.

Edit: just checked other peoples lists and they've only chosen a single film as well, think I was just over zealous. Thanks for helping me choose, Quaker!

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
54dff845-2ee7-4d27-86d9-a004bec1b292.jpg

Watched it on Peacock and thought it was really good. The 3 main leads all had great performances and although the central story of a teacher bonding with a student as they come to find out more about each was familiar, the execution was high. The winter setting reminded me of how the weather is right now for me :(

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This movie was a lot goofier than I thought it would be! It's your "guys start a club to meet chicks" but with a sapphic spin. Rachel Sennott and Ayo Edebiri are both fantastic leads, while former NFL running back Marshawn Lynch fits strangely well into the mix with his weird penchant for improv. There's also Kaia Gerber (Cindy Crawford's daughter) who looks so much like Cindy Crawford that she might just be a clone. And Havana Rose Liu wins for "best reaction to a series of bad news".

The music is a surprising highlight, and didnt expect little-known pop star Charli XCX was behind it.
There's nothing too deep here, with more laughs than character dilemmas. The stakes are relatively low... but the kill-count isn't zero.

200w.gif
MV5BZWZkZjE2OGYtN2RiMS00ZDE5LWFlZGQtYzI1OTNhZDZkYzM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk2NDQ3MTA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

gibby

Jul 15, 2022
Saltburn - Nothing about this worked for me. Easily my least favorite film of 2023 (and I really didn't care for a few).

Inside Llewyn Davis - I've seen this several times, and while there are "better" coen films, I adore the atmosphere, characters, and of course, the music.

Beau Travail - Just stunning. Can't believe it's taken me this long to watch.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Just seen The Boys In The Boat.
The new Cloony directed film about the US rowing team that went to the 36 Olympics.

Really liked it... surprisingly tense.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
MV5BNjljN2JiOGItNTg0Yi00YTI2LWFjMTYtODMzOGI3MGVhMmZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA4NjE0NjEy._V1_.jpg

watched vivarium a couple of weeks ago

A big example of "concept is way better than the actual execution", should have been a short film.

also (kind of spoilers for the movie)found the whole "woman is instinctively maternal and empathic towards the obvious non human monster like entity" to be extremely annoying and kind of sexist.

Dead_Alive_%281993%29.png

also watched braindead, absolute blast from beginning to end

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally. Psychological horror for gay men their 40s!

MV5BZmYzMjMzN2EtMGYwNi00ODc3LWI3YTctMjA5YjI1MGFkYTlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Checked out All of Us Strangers last evening and it's easily in my top films of the year. I saw the trailer a few weeks ago, and much like what I saw there, the film is a fever dream.

This dream commands some of the most genuine raw emotions on screen. All of the four actors in this film are just about perfect. Bell and Foy do a great balancing act without being too on the nose, challenged to navigate their knowledge and emotions earnestly. Still, Andrew Scott manages to stand out with one of the top two performances from an actor this year.

The film is about the what ifs in life and because of that I feel it's going to be relatable for a lot of people. It's soul crushing, tender, with some select funny moments. It's still haunting me a bit and hope others come away with similar reactions.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
aywymvtucsub1.jpg

Subbed version. Had a fantastic time. You can see and feel many of Miyazaki's previous films in it. If you have any insight into his real life or views, I think it heightens the experience too. Shame about the super annoying people sitting near me though. Clearly they had no idea what they were watching. Wish they just left the screen.

Saw Joe Hisaishi live in concert last year and a new Miyazaki film in cinemas today a few months later. What a time to be alive!

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Diner_2019_poster.jpg

Diner (2019)
Director Mika Ninagawa (Helter Skelter) directs this visually lush & off kilter tale about a young woman who takes part in a robbery to afford a vacation only to get caught and forced to work in a restaurant that caters to exclusively to killers.

The story is a weak point and 90% of the film takes place in one setting, but while the acting and characters are good the real draw here is the sumptuous overload of style along with the various technical flourishes Ninagawa employs.
3.5 out of 5

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
images

I remember this getting a lot of praise from critics and wanted to check it out before my Crunchyroll free trial expired. Have to say it lived up to the hype. Beautiful animation, beautiful story, and great ending.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Just went and saw Next Goal Wins.

I thought it was actually pretty funny.
I took my mum, it was a pretty nice family movie.
Obviously pretty formulaic, and some of the portrayals of the American Somoans will raise some criticism, but an ok feel good sports film.

Also saw Wonka.
Definitely a kids film.

Of the stuff i saw this weekend, Boys in The Boat was definitely the highlight.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
gamera-1996.jpg

Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
Just a good fun Kaiju movie. This is only my second Gamera movie and I really enjoy how vulnerable Gamera feels compared to Godzilla. Looking forward to checking out the end of this trilogy.

MV5BOGE5NjllZTEtMGJjNy00ZTFmLThlNDItNmNiZTgyOTQ4OTA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

The Iron Claw

Just went to an early screening here in Australia and oh boy. I knew nothing about this family and am very glad I didn't read anything beforehand. Last hour is intense and their were several gasps from the audience at certain points. I am still processing my thoughts but I think I loved this.

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched Saltburn over the weekend. Barry Keoghan is great in everything and loved seeing him in a lead role.

With that being said: I wish I saw this in theaters so I could hear other people's reactions lol

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
MV5BYmU2ZDk1MDgtMzhiMS00NTc0LThkYjItOTMwM2RiMjc5NzhkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

This is a tough one. I'm just going to come out and say this didn't work well as a film. Maybe about 15-20 minutes in, my brain already switched into a mode that was attempting to discover how this could have been done in a more engaging method to the audience.

It's a strong, important, certainly topical message. I do think the movie is sincere. It covers a depiction of Trayvon Martin on film. It's too on the nose, but it's far from the mess another filmaker might have done with the subject.

The problem with the movie is it's largely told as a documentary through narration. Even scenes with the main character interacting with other actors feels like I'm listening to a podcast at times. It tries to tell a story about her husband, mother, cousin, though because of how she speaks in that manner it's flat in the theatrical sense. With these main characters there are a few scenes that do work and are left fragmented. The historical actors are done similarly and their portrayals don't give them the ability to shine.

I'm not a trailer person, but if you have seen the film and the trailer, it even gives the sense they weren't quite sure how to package this correctly. I don't think it's good, though I don't think it was a waste of time viewing if that makes sense?

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda started the new year with watching lots of movies, or at least more than I usually do.
  • The Boy and the Heron: Since this is rumored to be Hayao Miyazaki's final movie I wanted to catch it at the cinema. Watched it at some arthouse cinema, where the facility itself was very oldschool, but the movie was great. Really enjoyed it, found it both at times funny and though provoking.

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Immediately after returning home from watching The Boy and the Heron I watched another Ghibli movie from the backlog with Nausicaä. Still very topical with its environmental themes and definitely one of those movies that influenced a ton of Japanese pop-culture stuff in its wake. Lots of "so that's where that came from" moments.

• Children of the Sea: Without going into spoiler territory about the plot, which was good and at times confusing this movie is certainly a looker. One of those movies that will stay with for a while.

• Shin Godzilla: Hideaki Anno delivering the goods.

• The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Surprisingly good and true to the source material. You can tell that Nintendo was directly involved, lots of easter eggs, musical cues and other stuff to unpack here. A true love letter to the games.

• Leave the World Behind: I read on this board that the movie was divisive, but I loved it. It was tense throughout even though I personally found the reveal at the end not as good as it could have been. Wish it would have been Aliens lol

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Fabelmans was fantastic. I'd be lying if I said it was your next big epic drama... But in some ways better than that: I love how this movie is clearly autobiographical because it's so clearly lived-in. The way kids talk over each other, the way friends interact, and the way families manage to simultaneously hate and love each other so much. Capturing a lot of the magic of growing up, developing your passion (and pursuing it even when you don't want to, or no one really pushes you, it's just automatic in some ways), and all within great realism. At 2.5 hours, no scene lingers – but heightened/elevated by its incredible directing. And of course! Steven Spielberg is a natural at this point; he's been at his craft for decades and still manages to make simple mundane moments into some perfect slice-of-life.

It ends with a great cameo, and the perfect visual punchline.

Look how it PUTS THE MOVIE LITERALLY IN HIS HAAAAAAANDS~~
:raised_hands:
lol I love how on-the-nose and lovely that part was
tumblr_ef6bc4972a1ca3defe8b2d717c9f5278_f6032add_540.gif
giphy.gif

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
ryelane-movie.jpg

Romantic comedy that I genuinely found funny. Mostly a walk and talk, but a lot of creative diversions along the way. Great setting and chemistry between the leads.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
b530df17-e123-4174-8d4d-75e6f422468f

A bit more surreal than I was expecting, even with the wacky premise. Would say it leans more to the comedic side, than being thrilling. Really more about a man overcoming the barriers in his life, when faced with the immediate possibility of death.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
b530df17-e123-4174-8d4d-75e6f422468f

A bit more surreal than I was expecting, even with the wacky premise. Would say it leans more to the comedic side, than being thrilling. Really more about a man overcoming the barriers in his life, when faced with the immediate possibility of death.
I added that to my list a few days ago. I like the main actor. He was in Minx too, and some other network show before that I can't be bothered to look up yet.