• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
WPL-Film-Club-2.png

Was in the mood for a heist flick and I remember people talking positive about this. I ended up having a really fun time watching this. The 2 leads have great chemistry and Rene Russo is fire in this. Very sexy film.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
a-poster-for-jack-hills-1974-action-film-foxy-brown-starring-pam-grier.jpg

Saw this on Amazon. Blaxploitation films were ahead of my time, but I know the influences better. Figured I should at least check out the source, definitely has a lot of the trademarks that I would expect. A lot of crazy stuff happens in this, Pam Grier is of course stunning.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just saw The Holdovers. Really fantastic movie. I was a bit in the dark about it besides seeing a pretty positive thread on here about it a few months back (didn't even know until after watching it that it got nominated for Best Picture), but saw it was on Prime and still have my ad free month active after getting it to watch Fallout, so figured it was a good time to check it out. And glad I did.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the story be primarily about Tully and Hunham. At the beginning thought it was going to be about all the 'holdover' kids and the teacher bonding over misadventures at the school over the holidays, so didn't expect to see the other kids leave less than halfway through the movie. Just really endearing characters, and loved the general atmosphere and vibe of the movie.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
p12690929_p_v7_ab.jpg

Definitely goes in the category of WTF films for me. Mix of fantasy, existentialism, Looney Tunes. Fun reading theories about how people interpret the film.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
81z6SB3UpjL._AC_UL420_SR420,420_.jpg

I thought this was pretty fun. Delivering a lot of the action present in the games from the X-Ray moves to the fatalities. Liked the voice work for Shao Kahn/Sektor/Cyrax the most.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Skinamarink

…fuck this film. I can't think what the worst film I've ever seen is off the top of my head, but for now this will do.
The reaction to this film is always so interesting to me. I saw it in theatres and the post chatter went beyond "not my thing," people were offended they watched it. The vitriol lasted all the way back to the parking lot.

To me, this is the sign of an interesting movie. I don't remember the 800 Conjuring, Nun, Insidious whatever off-the-rack horror films; Skinamarink is one of a kind, and it's hard to forget your first viewing of it. Idk, I loved it.

Oct 29, 2017
last-stop.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/cm6QQdKSm6Y?si=hHHROUTmE9_9h8i2

www.rottentomatoes.com

The Last Stop in Yuma County | Rotten Tomatoes

While awaiting the next fuel truck at a middle-of-nowhere Arizona rest stop, a traveling young knife salesman is thrust into a high-stakes hostage situation by the arrival of two similarly stranded bank robbers with no qualms about using cruelty--or cold, hard steel--to protect their...

The Last Stop in Yuma County.

Released yesterday for streaming purchase or rental, and I loved the heck out of this film. I guess it counts as a "B" movie since it wasn't released by a major studio (Well Go USA).

Had a great time with it. There's some really neat directing here, really neat shots, and good acting. Kept me completely enthralled the entire time. So many great moments.

My favorite two scenes (out of many) are 1. When the gas station attendant almost says the name of the movie, but then it hard cuts to the next scene haha! And 2. When the knife salesman goes outside after the shit goes down, and the camera pans all the way past the diner/gas station to the road, and you are expecting a car or something to come down. The camera lingers there for what seems like an eternity and nothing happens, and without cutting, the camera pans back to the knife salesman. There's just some really neat camera shots here, and apparently this is a first time director.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw The Holdovers. Really fantastic movie. I was a bit in the dark about it besides seeing a pretty positive thread on here about it a few months back (didn't even know until after watching it that it got nominated for Best Picture), but saw it was on Prime and still have my ad free month active after getting it to watch Fallout, so figured it was a good time to check it out. And glad I did.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the story be primarily about Tully and Hunham. At the beginning thought it was going to be about all the 'holdover' kids and the teacher bonding over misadventures at the school over the holidays, so didn't expect to see the other kids leave less than halfway through the movie. Just really endearing characters, and loved the general atmosphere and vibe of the movie.
It's a real boss move to establish all those interesting and well-performed other characters, then throw them away and forge down the more difficult route.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's a real boss move to establish all those interesting and well-performed other characters, then throw them away and forge down the more difficult route.

Yep definitely agree. Took me by surprise as my assumption of that premise is what drew me into watching it when I first saw a bit of the trailer. But the principle characters are just so engaging, and I had a great time seeing it through to the end.

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Babes (2024)

Babes_2024_film_poster.jpg

There were a ton of genuinely funny moments in this. Great start for Pamela Aldon. I think the challenge here is being tolerant of Glazer's demeanour. If you're familiar with Broad City it will make a lot more sense. I think folks just coming into this can feel it's a bit much.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Babes (2024)

There were a ton of genuinely funny moments in this. Great start for Pamela Aldon. I think the challenge here is being tolerant of Glazer's demeanour. If you're familiar with Broad City it will make a lot more sense. I think folks just coming into this can feel it's a bit much.
They both have played quite over-the-top characters, so I'm in for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Babes (2024)

This was super fun for me. Some bits didn't land but I found it consistently funny.