TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
WPL-Film-Club-2.png

Was in the mood for a heist flick and I remember people talking positive about this. I ended up having a really fun time watching this. The 2 leads have great chemistry and Rene Russo is fire in this. Very sexy film.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
a-poster-for-jack-hills-1974-action-film-foxy-brown-starring-pam-grier.jpg

Saw this on Amazon. Blaxploitation films were ahead of my time, but I know the influences better. Figured I should at least check out the source, definitely has a lot of the trademarks that I would expect. A lot of crazy stuff happens in this, Pam Grier is of course stunning.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just saw The Holdovers. Really fantastic movie. I was a bit in the dark about it besides seeing a pretty positive thread on here about it a few months back (didn't even know until after watching it that it got nominated for Best Picture), but saw it was on Prime and still have my ad free month active after getting it to watch Fallout, so figured it was a good time to check it out. And glad I did.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the story be primarily about Tully and Hunham. At the beginning thought it was going to be about all the 'holdover' kids and the teacher bonding over misadventures at the school over the holidays, so didn't expect to see the other kids leave less than halfway through the movie. Just really endearing characters, and loved the general atmosphere and vibe of the movie.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
p12690929_p_v7_ab.jpg

Definitely goes in the category of WTF films for me. Mix of fantasy, existentialism, Looney Tunes. Fun reading theories about how people interpret the film.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
81z6SB3UpjL._AC_UL420_SR420,420_.jpg

I thought this was pretty fun. Delivering a lot of the action present in the games from the X-Ray moves to the fatalities. Liked the voice work for Shao Kahn/Sektor/Cyrax the most.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Skinamarink

…fuck this film. I can't think what the worst film I've ever seen is off the top of my head, but for now this will do.
The reaction to this film is always so interesting to me. I saw it in theatres and the post chatter went beyond "not my thing," people were offended they watched it. The vitriol lasted all the way back to the parking lot.

To me, this is the sign of an interesting movie. I don't remember the 800 Conjuring, Nun, Insidious whatever off-the-rack horror films; Skinamarink is one of a kind, and it's hard to forget your first viewing of it. Idk, I loved it.

Oct 29, 2017
last-stop.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/cm6QQdKSm6Y?si=hHHROUTmE9_9h8i2

www.rottentomatoes.com

The Last Stop in Yuma County | Rotten Tomatoes

While awaiting the next fuel truck at a middle-of-nowhere Arizona rest stop, a traveling young knife salesman is thrust into a high-stakes hostage situation by the arrival of two similarly stranded bank robbers with no qualms about using cruelty--or cold, hard steel--to protect their...

The Last Stop in Yuma County.

Released yesterday for streaming purchase or rental, and I loved the heck out of this film. I guess it counts as a "B" movie since it wasn't released by a major studio (Well Go USA).

Had a great time with it. There's some really neat directing here, really neat shots, and good acting. Kept me completely enthralled the entire time. So many great moments.

My favorite two scenes (out of many) are 1. When the gas station attendant almost says the name of the movie, but then it hard cuts to the next scene haha! And 2. When the knife salesman goes outside after the shit goes down, and the camera pans all the way past the diner/gas station to the road, and you are expecting a car or something to come down. The camera lingers there for what seems like an eternity and nothing happens, and without cutting, the camera pans back to the knife salesman. There's just some really neat camera shots here, and apparently this is a first time director.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw The Holdovers. Really fantastic movie. I was a bit in the dark about it besides seeing a pretty positive thread on here about it a few months back (didn't even know until after watching it that it got nominated for Best Picture), but saw it was on Prime and still have my ad free month active after getting it to watch Fallout, so figured it was a good time to check it out. And glad I did.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the story be primarily about Tully and Hunham. At the beginning thought it was going to be about all the 'holdover' kids and the teacher bonding over misadventures at the school over the holidays, so didn't expect to see the other kids leave less than halfway through the movie. Just really endearing characters, and loved the general atmosphere and vibe of the movie.
It's a real boss move to establish all those interesting and well-performed other characters, then throw them away and forge down the more difficult route.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's a real boss move to establish all those interesting and well-performed other characters, then throw them away and forge down the more difficult route.

Yep definitely agree. Took me by surprise as my assumption of that premise is what drew me into watching it when I first saw a bit of the trailer. But the principle characters are just so engaging, and I had a great time seeing it through to the end.

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Babes (2024)

Babes_2024_film_poster.jpg

There were a ton of genuinely funny moments in this. Great start for Pamela Aldon. I think the challenge here is being tolerant of Glazer's demeanour. If you're familiar with Broad City it will make a lot more sense. I think folks just coming into this can feel it's a bit much.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Babes (2024)

There were a ton of genuinely funny moments in this. Great start for Pamela Aldon. I think the challenge here is being tolerant of Glazer's demeanour. If you're familiar with Broad City it will make a lot more sense. I think folks just coming into this can feel it's a bit much.
They both have played quite over-the-top characters, so I'm in for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Babes (2024)

This was super fun for me. Some bits didn't land but I found it consistently funny.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Hit Man (2023)

MV5BYTJmMDM4YWItMGM2YS00MzQ0LTliM2ItZDE1NzVlMjNjNDVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I really enjoyed this. This is good, lighthearted Linklater at work here. Genuinely hilarious. A lot of dialog choices that make things work and one of the first times I've really been able to see Powell cook. The film weaves in enough dark barbs to keep things interesting.

It's also a quite accessible film, which makes me wonder why it has such a an odd release schedule.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I haven't been watching a lot of movies lately, this quarter I've only seen two: Last Stop in Yuma County (good) and the new Kongzilla (dumb but entertaining).

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wanted to watch about 10 minutes of it to see if it was every bit as "overbearing mother annoys too-serious daughter" (the on-the-nose title isn't doing it any favors)... and -- while it does have a bit of that --- I was actually really surprised how this one went, and I'm posting about it my way of apology thinking it was some "Diane Keaton-esque Cause-I-Said-So affair" when it actually had a really nice core.

Rose Byrne is great, Simmons is a rockstar, and Susan Sarandon was lovely and realistic despite everything.

The_Meddler_Film_Poster.jpg

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone But You - The power of two really pretty people and lack of rom-coms had to have been what propelled this to the success it had. By the numbers film where most of the laughs come from the supporting cast.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
After watching Dune Part Two on 3/3, I started watching a ton of movies. Since that time, I've seen 239 movies (on streaming platforms and in movie theaters).

Here's what I watched yesterday and today:

The Tall Men (on Criterion Channel) - beautiful long shots but garbage characters.
The Revolt of Mamie Stover (Criterion Channel) - came out a year after The Tall Men and is better. Opening shot reminds me of The Naked Kiss.
I Saw The TV Glow - I felt this was a perfect movie. 11/10.
First Name: Carmen (on Mubi) - '80s Godard.
Wildcat - Movie didn't quite work for me despite the approach.
Detective (Mubi) - Also '80s Godard but bad Godard.
Oh Woe Is Me (Mubi) - Slightly better despite a garbage human being as a star. So it's trash as a result.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Tonight I rewatched one of my old favorites cause it was cheap on Apple. The Transporter. I hadn't seen it in a long time, and it was a little better than I remembered. Man, that closing credits song sucks. I give the movie a 7.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Tonight I rewatched one of my old favorites cause it was cheap on Apple. The Transporter. I hadn't seen it in a long time, and it was a little better than I remembered. Man, that closing credits song sucks. I give the movie a 7.

I feel like this what a lot of peoples introduction to Jason Statham. 22 years later and he is still thriving.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Shortcomings.jpg

Movie looking at the transitional phase of life, where the main character has to examine what he really wants and what type of person he is after a failed relationship. I thought the friendship dynamic between Justin H Min and Sherry Cola was the most entertaining aspect of the film.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shortcomings.jpg

Movie looking at the transitional phase of life, where the main character has to examine what he really wants and what type of person he is after a failed relationship. I thought the friendship dynamic between Justin H Min and Sherry Cola was the most entertaining aspect of the film.
She was great in Joy Ride so I'll have to check this out, thanks

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
239 - You must be crushing film to see that many, in such a short time frame.

I've kept a tally so bad days are 2 to 3 films in a day. Great days (usually weekends or sometimes on Friday) is 5 to 6 films in a day.

Longer movies like Norte - The End of History I try to break up over several days. I try to be careful with my film viewing - if I'm exhausted and needing to sleep, I'll cut it short. Watching something in that state isn't a good idea.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've kept a tally so bad days are 2 to 3 films in a day. Great days (usually weekends or sometimes on Friday) is 5 to 6 films in a day.

Longer movies like Norte - The End of History I try to break up over several days. I try to be careful with my film viewing - if I'm exhausted and needing to sleep, I'll cut it short. Watching something in that state isn't a good idea.
How do you spend 10-12 hours watching films and tend to anything else? That's like most of the waking hours.

BTW Norte is an amazing film.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
How do you spend 10-12 hours watching films and tend to anything else? That's like most of the waking hours.

BTW Norte is an amazing film.

I manage. If I have something I need to do, I try to plan it during the day or pause whatever I'm watching. I work from home so I usually watch a movie before work, start one during lunch, finish it at the end of the working day, then try to watch two at night after dinner.

I found myself not liking Norte at all. First hour was great and I liked the last hour or so. It could have been edited to a 2 hour movie. It's also possible I watched it at the wrong time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I manage. If I have something I need to do, I try to plan it during the day or pause whatever I'm watching. I work from home so I usually watch a movie before work, start one during lunch, finish it at the end of the working day, then try to watch two at night after dinner.

I found myself not liking Norte at all. First hour was great and I liked the last hour or so. It could have been edited to a 2 hour movie. It's also possible I watched it at the wrong time.
With how it was dealing with the multiple perspectives, character arcs, the themes, and Lav Diaz's slower pacing and atmosphere of letting the scenes breathe, I would disagree it could fit into a 2 hour film. Or at least it would be way less epic. Lav Diaz is influenced by Russian literature and especially Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment for this film, so I can see why he went for the epic length (well, this is one of his shorter films!). Of course you can not like the film, but it worked for me a lot. Anyway, my further thoughts are here from when I first saw it cinemas.
boxd.it

A ★★★★★ review of Norte, The End of History (2013)

This review may contain spoilers. Visit the page to bypass this warning and read the review.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
With how it was dealing with the multiple perspectives, character arcs, the themes, and Lav Diaz's slower pacing and atmosphere of letting the scenes breathe, I would disagree it could fit into a 2 hour film. Or at least it would be way less epic. Lav Diaz is influenced by Russian literature and especially Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment for this film, so I can see why he went for the epic length (well, this is one of his shorter films!). Of course you can not like the film, but it worked for me a lot. Anyway, my further thoughts are here from when I first saw it cinemas.
boxd.it

A ★★★★★ review of Norte, The End of History (2013)

This review may contain spoilers. Visit the page to bypass this warning and read the review.

Yeah, my Letterboxd review was less kind.

boxd.it

A ★ review of Norte, The End of History (2013)

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Hundreds of Beavers

MV5BNTk2NWQ4MzQtNGYyMS00NGUzLTk4MDAtNjc1ZTRjNTI3ZTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU4NzAyNDg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I'm shocked this hasn't gained more traction since there really isn't anything else out like it. I went in without having seen anything from it. I think that is the best move. It took maybe ten minutes to settle in and understand what is in store. After that it's just pure bliss, it's pure bliss.

Check this out. It's currently free on Amazon Prime with a 7 day trial to a third party service. It's also still out in a handful of cinemas.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
After a low period of deciding to watch all the Minion films as I 'wanted a laugh', and then watching the Twilight films out of Fatherly Duty, I finally got back to sensibility.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Pressburger/Powell films have so much heart and after watching Black Narcissus I knew I had to watch this when it tuned up on iPlayer, and I wasn't disappointed. Funny and visually striking, sympathetic towards a German character when WWII was raging, all white women look the same to me, what the hell were they thinking??

Followed up by My Winnipeg, a strange mashup of fact and fantasy that led me down some wikipedia paths to unravel the fact from the fiction and now I'm a self-proclaimed Winnipeg connoisseur.

wtf Winnipeg black site

View: https://imgur.com/a/YNC44YE

Last edited:

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Movie count is up to 265. Here's what I've seen recently and where. I have my star ratings from letterboxd:

240. The Disaster Artist (Netflix) - ****
241. Peppermint Soda (Mubi) - ****1/2
242. Back To Black (theaters) - 1/2
243. The Burial of Kojo (Criterion Channel) - ***
244. 2012 (Netflix) - **
245. The Day After Tomorrow (Apple TV+) - ***1/2
246. The World To Come (Hulu) - **
247. Ezra (theaters) - ***
248. Magic Mike XXL (Hulu) - ***
249. Fireworks (Mubi) - ****
250. Knight And Day (Hulu) - ** (although I'm leaning towards *1/2)
251. Soledad (Mubi) - ***
252. Salt (Hulu) - **1/2
253. (500) Days of Summer (Hulu) - ***
254. Faces Places (Mubi) - *****
255. The Descendents (Hulu) - ****1/2
256. Win Win (Hulu) - ***1/2 (leaning towards ***)
257. Italian For Beginners (Criterion Channel) - ***1/2
258. Crimes of the Future (Mubi) - *
259. Broken English (Criterion Channel) - ***
260. The New Girlfriend (Mubi) - *****
261. Taken (Hulu) - 1/2
262. Bridge of Spies (Apple TV+) - **1/2
263. Double Lover (Mubi) - **
264. Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (theaters) - ****1/2
265. Bullet Ballet (Mubi) - ***

I probably have crap taste in movies with some of my ratings and/or I need to slow down.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Watched Suzume today. What a fantastic experience. Admittedly not super familiar with Makoto Shinkai's works (watched Your Name years ago which was also quite endearing to me, but don't think I've seen anything else from him), but really reminded me of that charm of Ghibli stories. Not that it's a direct comparison, but really a capitivating experience for me.

Feb 9, 2024
Babes

I remember someone posting a thread about Pamela Adlon returning as Bobby in the upcoming King of the Hill return series and I saw that she was the director of this movie. I noticed that it was playing near me, so I decided to check it out last night. I thought was a very good movie. Incredibly funny too. I was a bit worried how it was going to play out based on a scene near the beginning, but it got nipped in the bud fairly quickly. Definitely worth checking out if you can find a nearby theater showing it

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Babes

I remember someone posting a thread about Pamela Adlon returning as Bobby in the upcoming King of the Hill return series and I saw that she was the director of this movie. I noticed that it was playing near me, so I decided to check it out last night. I thought was a very good movie. Incredibly funny too. I was a bit worried how it was going to play out based on a scene near the beginning, but it got nipped in the bud fairly quickly. Definitely worth checking out if you can find a nearby theater showing it

I saw it as part of AMC's Screen Unseen and literally saw people walking out of it in the first 30 minutes. A couple next to me came in late, asked what the movie was, then just walked out. Weird.

I thought it was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. It felt like something Judd Apatow would make.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Hundreds of Beavers

MV5BNTk2NWQ4MzQtNGYyMS00NGUzLTk4MDAtNjc1ZTRjNTI3ZTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU4NzAyNDg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I'm shocked this hasn't gained more traction since there really isn't anything else out like it. I went in without having seen anything from it. I think that is the best move. It took maybe ten minutes to settle in and understand what is in store. After that it's just pure bliss, it's pure bliss.

Check this out. It's currently free on Amazon Prime with a 7 day trial to a third party service. It's also still out in a handful of cinemas.

One of the guests on Doug Love Movies recommended this recently.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
MV5BZWY3MzU5ODMtYTNmYy00MzdhLTlhMzQtNTUwMGE4OGY2MWRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_.jpg

Watched this on Hulu. Definitely takes some turns I wasn't expecting. Shea Whigham plays a terrible father in this. Reality often falls short of fantasy, but can be liberating in a different way.