impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Looking at this thread you would think a bunch of people were about to go buy a PS3 for some Mr. driller

If this kind of shit is your best argument against digital... go back to the drawing board. This ain't it

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well it's hard to think you understand things when you say things like:

"Physical media can't be copied or transferred. "

and

"Your plastic and memory chips and cartriges won't last, can't be perfectly replicated. "

You make it sound like you do not understand since those statements are wrong. Physical media can be copied and they can be perfectly replicated. That's why you're getting called out on it and after being called out on it, you doubled down and tried to insist you're right. So you're right that I do not know what you do or do not understand which is why I asked, but from what you type it sure sounds like you do not understand because you keep typing incorrect statements like the two quotes above. Those are flat out wrong. The unbelievable defensiveness and smugness is coming from you.

You're going to perfectly copy the period correct stickers and chips? No, you are not. At a certain point is a repro and that's fine for your personal collection, it isn't something you can sell and isn't the data itself.

No, its actually coming from you and continuing to come from you.

Call out on it? Defending your toys is what it sounds like. Call me out.... more like you want to set me straight and straight is your view of looking at things. No thanks :)

And I'll even add this, the "classics" versions of the NES and SNES are plastic toys and are the wrong way to go forward with preserving old games. I add this because Era has a love affair with these things and they are shitty trash tier garbage and I've been called out and attacked for that as well as may as well take a shot at me for that as well.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to perfectly copy the period correct stickers and chips? No, you are not. At a certain point is a repro and that's fine for your personal collection, it isn't something you can sell and isn't the data itself.

You can reproduce the stickers. You can sell reproductions. You realize people have been reproducing arcade artwork for cabinets for decades now, right? You continue to make statements that are just flat out wrong and you're wondering why we're questioning you on these things? You have to also realize people are also arguing that going physical enables these possibilities where as digital causes complications in doing the same.

No, its actually coming from you and continuing to come from you.

Call out on it? Defending your toys is what it sounds like.

It's amazing you can try to deflect the claim of not being defensive and smug and then end your post with a line like that. You're totally projecting and must be completely oblivious to not see that what you're claiming is exactly what you're doing. Read your last line again.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You can reproduce the stickers. You can sell reproductions. You realize people have been reproducing arcade artwork for cabinets for decades now, right? You continue to make statements that are just flat out wrong and you're wondering why we're questioning you on these things? You have to also realize people are also arguing that going physical enables these possibilities where as digital causes complications in doing the same.

It's amazing you can try to deflect the claim of not being defensive and smug and then end your post with a line like that. You're totally projecting and must be completely oblivious to not see that what you're claiming is exactly what you're doing. Read your last line again.

You know what? I am. Because all of these collecting and hoarding and classic consoles and nostalgia driven commerce is eye rolling. Most of is older geeks with too much money hoarding everything. There I said it. Retro collecting sucks! IT SUCKS! Another example of our culture and society living in the past and unable to move forward. Ask me how I feel about Disney's live action remakes... (they suck) Also amusing, the fPGA systems that are $500 or more...

And IDGAF if a bunch of "collectors" call me out on it. Open a museum if you want.

Felt good to stop being so coy about how I feel about retro collecting. Say the wrong thing in the wrong thread and suddenly you're fending off 10 replies.

You can sell reproductions of the data or reproductions of everything but the data? Meaning, sticker, cart and chips but a person must load their own...

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, you can pop the PS1 disc into your PS3 any time. It's just the PS1 ISO put up onto the PS3 store. People need to stop trotting this line out, it's ridiculous.
What does PS3 being able to play PS1 physical games have to do with anything?

Looking at this thread you would think a bunch of people were about to go buy a PS3 for some Mr. driller

If this kind of shit is your best argument against digital... go back to the drawing board. This ain't it

Really. I'm all for proper best practices when it comes to this kind of thing, but people need to think a bit and pick their battles. If you try to get equally outraged at every single thing, it just turns into white noise. 99% of the population have never, and will never, care about Mr Driller on PS3. That's probably precisely why it was taken down in the first place. This isn't the hill to die on

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, you can pop the PS1 disc into your PS3 any time. It's just the PS1 ISO put up onto the PS3 store. People need to stop trotting this line out, it's ridiculous.

I honestly don't understand your line of argumentation in this thread. Some people may very well be confused about what this specific digital releas was, but I think others do understand and get it. The argument is this: the original PSX version of Mr. Driller was only going to be resold by the publisher in this way. It's not as though in an alternate reality where digital distribution never came about they would have continued to manufacture physical copies of this game. In terms of re-selling classic games for legacy systems it was only going to ever be offered digitally.

The fact that this is just an ISO of a physical release only really undermines any shots people are taking at digital distribution. There's no cautionary tale here. If you want to play the PSX version of Mr. Driller legally after the de-listing the option available to you now is the exact same option you would have had if the game had never been listed on the PSN digital storefront.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand your line of argumentation in this thread. Some people may very well be confused about what this specific digital releas was, but I think others do understand and get it. The argument is this: the original PSX version of Mr. Driller was only going to be resold by the publisher in this way. It's not as though in an alternate reality where digital distribution never came about they would have continued to manufacture physical copies of this game. In terms of re-selling classic games for legacy systems it was only going to ever be offered digitally.

The fact that this is just an ISO of a physical release only really undermines any shots people are taking at digital distribution. There's no cautionary tale here. If you want to play the PSX version of Mr. Driller legally after the de-listing the option available to you now is the exact same option you would have had if the game had never been listed on the PSN digital storefront.
I'm aware, I've literally said the exact same thing in this thread. Saying "this wouldn't have existed without digital" is ridiculous though, this is not like an XBLA game where the low cost of digital distribution is the only way small productions like that could be viable. If the argument here is physical vs. digital, and then you claim digital is the only way someone could play Mr. Driller on their PS3...then you are wrong. The physical PS1 disc will work in your PS3. In fact, any PS1 disc will, regardless of what gets delisted from the PS3 store as Sony continues to really not give a fuck about their older platforms.

Luckily Mr. Driller is not a game that was only distributed digitally on a closed storefront, so if someone wants to experience it legally they still can. That's not true for every game that gets delisted.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I am. Because all of these collecting and hoarding and classic consoles and nostalgia driven commerce is eye rolling. Most of is older geeks with too much money hoarding everything. There I said it. Retro collecting sucks! IT SUCKS! Another example of our culture and society living in the past and unable to move forward. Ask me how I feel about Disney's live action remakes... (they suck) Also amusing, the fPGA systems that are $500 or more...

And IDGAF if a bunch of "collectors" call me out on it. Open a museum if you want.

Felt good to stop being so coy about how I feel about retro collecting. Say the wrong thing in the wrong thread and suddenly you're fending off 10 replies.

You can sell reproductions of the data or reproductions of everything but the data? Meaning, sticker, cart and chips but a person must load their own...

So the truth comes out. Good to know you were being disingenuous and not arguing in good faith. This on top of the fact that you made incorrect statements to begin with that you got called out on. It says a lot when you have to resort to untruths to push the agenda you're arguing for.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

so your true colors comes out

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Yikes.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So the truth comes out. Good to know you were being disingenuous and not arguing in good faith. This on top of the fact that you made incorrect statements to begin with that you got called out on. It says a lot when you have to resort to untruths to push the agenda you're arguing for.
so your true colors comes out

"Call out". Yes, you are identifying the wrong doer and setting him straight.

Hey, a little honesty goes a long way. I'm not a fan of retro game collecting and the collecting and materialistic parts of geekdom. Experiences are great but collecting not so much.

Also, you can never fully replicate a physical copy of anything original.

Feb 10, 2018
ezgif-3-54d7d5d1976f.gif

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
https://arcadeblogger.com/

That's one of my favorite gaming blogs. Restoring, preserving and visiting old arcade machines/museums.

There is a limit to restoring/preserving and maintaining old equipment. The data can live on though.

Also, having arcade machines personally...... you've better have space and plan for getting rid of them. And deep deep pockets.

Big time retro collecting is the same thing.