• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because 20 - 30 year old consoles have a long life in front of them. :/ :Spoiler alert, they do not:

Newsflash man, having non DRM copies allows you to do certain things with your games that you can't do when you buy them on a digital service. Like back them up and play them on your PC, or not having to buy the same damn game twice because a certain someone broke Backwards compatibility. Or even letting you reinstall in a pinch if you delete it and have Garbo internet

It might not apply to this particular scenario, but there are plenty of advantages to tracking down a physical copy. Which I now have to do.

The availability of lower selling games vastly improved because of PSN/XBL.

I know!

Let's go back to a manufacturing-based approach and just produce 100k units of the less popular titles. Slap a $20 sticker on remaining stock after six months and only allow enthusiasts on ebay to play them after that.

You mean like what I have to do right now? Golly gee! Digital releases sure helped me! I can't wait to employ this same tactic for Scott Pilgrim versus the world! Oh wait...

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Newsflash man, having non DRM copies allows you to do certain things with your games that you can't do when you buy them on a digital service. Like back them up and play them on your PC, or not having to buy the same damn game twice because a certain someone broke Backwards compatibility. Or even letting you reinstall in a pinch if you delete it and have Garbo internet

It might not apply to this particular scenario, but there are plenty of advantages to tracking down a physical copy. Which I now have to do.

You mean like what I have to do right now? Golly gee! Digital releases sure helped me! I can't wait to employ this same tactic for Scott Pilgrim versus the world! Oh wait...

Hey, I'm with you, I have copies of some of my PS2 discs hanging around on my HDD.

My dream would be license ROM/Image stores.......

Physical copies and physical hardware is a dead end.

Nov 1, 2017
This has happened a few times now where games get delisted without warning. I don't get why publishers do this. They could probably squeeze some more sales out of people if they say "Hey, this game is going aways soon, if you want it, now's the time" possibly accompanied with a nice price drop. Really bizarre. There are plenty of games out there i would like to play but either haven't bought yet due to the giant backlog or i'm waiting for a sale or something, if i knew those games would be due to get cut i'd bite the bullet and grab it just to keep it in the backlog.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This has happened a few times now where games get delisted without warning. I don't get why publishers do this. They could probably squeeze some more sales out of people if they say "Hey, this game is going aways soon, if you want it, now's the time" possibly accompanied with a nice price drop. Really bizarre. There are plenty of games out there i would like to play but either haven't bought yet due to the giant backlog or i'm waiting for a sale or something, if i knew those games would be due to get cut i'd bite the bullet and grab it just to keep it in the backlog.
Some publishers do it (Harmonix gives about a month's notice when any of their games/dlc are about to be delisted), but "farewell sales" aren't always possible because that may be out of their control due to agreements with other parties.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Scott Pilgrim must be the best game ever made because so many people bring it up in this type of argument. Is this just the go-to game?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Another reminder why gaming moving towards a digital-only future will hurt the consumer.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reminder why gaming moving towards a digital-only future will hurt the consumer.

This was a digital re-release of a game that had a physical release on PS1. Like, I get that there are some concerns out there about digital ownership and for archival purposes there's always going to be examples of things slipping into the ether that may have had a better chance at preservation in a world where physical was the only option. But it's also clear that a lot of people don't really want to engage honestly in a particular topic and are instead reflexively using some sort of script to go "Digital Game De-listed?" -> "Spam response about the dangers of all-digital future"

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scott Pilgrim must be the best game ever made because so many people bring it up in this type of argument. Is this just the go-to game?

It might be. I honestly wanted to play it which is percisely why I brought it up. I could also mention the Capcom JoJo Games, MVC2 and much more games I've gotten burned on because when I finally get into the position of buying them, they go poof.

And there is almost always someone around to go "neener, neener, neener, you lose" or "just go buy it on ebay, when some of these games (or even consoles the game is installed on in the case of PT before they figured out a way to trick the system) go for hundreds of dollars.

Now that I mention it I should probably get MVC3 on ps4 now befor that goes kaput too.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
This is such bullshit, I remember this happening with R-Type Delta as well. One of the reasons I'am still apprehensive about going fully digital.

I agree that this situation sucks, but if this game from 13 years ago had a physical release, it too wouldn't be available in stores right now.

I don't understand why this has turned into a physical vs digital argument. I'm a hardcore physical collector, but some games just don't make sense for the publisher to release physically. All the big releases are still giving both options on consoles. I know that may not be the case forever, but right now both sides can be happy and yet endlessly argue about which is better.

EDIT: Just saw that 2006 was the Japan date. Still, this wouldn't have been released if not for the digital option.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play this until I got a PS Classic. The game is actually really fun, it was a nice surprise for me. Now I'm sad that it's available to less people, hopefully Sony gets their butt in gear for PS1 classics on the PS5.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why the lack of notice?

Do these publishers just forget and then it's too late to warn? They'll make more money by announcing it so people could buy it before it gets delisted. I don't understand the logic behind no notice delisting.

I was on the PS3 section of the store yesterday adding things to my wishlist, but I'd better get buying before the things I want are gone for good.

Like I just recently bought Metal Gear Rising, but I'll never be able to buy and play its DLC which I heard was really good. It's worrying for future digital content and why I'm physical as much as I reasonably can be.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it does. For many others they don't because of disc rot, scratches disc, theft, flood, fire, etc.

This entire debate seems neither here nor there. "That's why I buy physical." If you already bought digital you'd also be fine. They're not deleting the game such that you can't download it if you already purchased it. It's just being delisted such that new purchases can't occur.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really fun beat-em-up with great music and a charming art style. It's definitely one of the best examples of a game that more people should play, but unfortunately can't because Universal (who owns the movie rights) won't allow it to be sold anymore. Even the creator of Scott Pilgrim wants it to see a rerelease, but he doesn't have control over that.

I luckily bought the game at release and one of the expansions, but I almost missed the second expansion. Luckily, I was able to get a key for it from Best Buy last year because they still had keys despite it having been delisted for years at that point (but only that expansion, the game and first expansion were long gone).

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It's a really fun beat-em-up with great music and a charming art style. It's definitely one of the best examples of a game that more people should play, but unfortunately can't because Universal (who owns the movie rights) won't allow it to be sold anymore. Even the creator of Scott Pilgrim wants it to see a rerelease, but he doesn't have control over that.

I luckily bought the game at release and one of the expansions, but I almost missed the second expansion. Luckily, I was able to get a key for it from Best Buy last year because they still had keys despite it having been delisted for years at that point (but only that expansion, the game and first expansion were long gone).

I got it way back in the day for 360 and just found it mediocore. It was fun but...eh? Not worth all the hype IMO.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This is such bullshit, I remember this happening with R-Type Delta as well. One of the reasons I'am still apprehensive about going fully digital.
Are you apprehensive about you going full digital, or the industry? Because if you went full digital and had bought the game, you would still have access to it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This is the first time a game has been pulled without any warning and people said that would never happen.
This isn't the first time a game has been pulled without warning - hell here's a thread of a higher profile game from a few months back - and find me posts of people saying that.

The main thing people have said is that delisted games won't be removed from your library, and AFAIK no game that has ever been purchased (as in not the free PT) has been removed from people's library.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Why is disc rot always brought up but never bit rot which also affect hard drives, spoiler alert, your console hard drives are going to rot too!

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time a game has been pulled without any warning and people said that would never happen.
Also wrong

Activision has pulled games down without warning numerous times. The only reason people catch it is because it doesn't hit every platform at the same time, so they get tipped off when it goes missing somewhere.

And on top of that, I've, again, never seen someone say that publishers would never not give warnings.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is disc rot always brought up but never bit rot which also affect hard drives, spoiler alert, your console hard drives are going to rot too!

With an active store you'd be able to re-download. However, again, this is neither here nor there. I feel like a lot of times people are just talking past each other in these discussions. There are benefits to either distribution method. Ideally both can be offered. In the event that phsyical continues to decline the main problem we really need to solve with digital is the ability to transfer ownership. This would alleviate most of the concerns people have with digital ownership (though I'm sure some would prefer physical anyway for any of a number of reasons).

Deleted member 26684

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To everyone concerned about physical being "foolproof"... it doesn't have to be. Bit rot and sudden hard drive failure are much more dangerous than possible disc rot. Professionally pressed discs can last many decades when taken care of, and don't have to put up with hard drive transfers that could go wrong.

The common response is "What if someone doesn't take care of their discs?"
What if someone doesn't take care of their hard drives? You can only take the personal care argument so far.

Physical is just better as a concept. The benefits of digital are very few, and many of those benefits are not innate to digital at all; pricing, for example.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, discs go out of print, get destroyed, rot etc etc.

Let's not act like physical is this 100% full proof preservation method. Except maybe in the cartridge days.
Discs going out of print doesn't prevent you from legally purchasing a copy second hand. Problem with digital on closed platforms is that there is only a single avenue for legal purchase, completely eliminating any legal way to purchase the game after it is delisted.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do game companies remove stuff like this when they're about to release a collection of classic games on new systems? That's the only silver lining I could possibly see from this, is a Mr. Driller collection coming out.
Yes! A comprehensive collection including:
  • Mr. Driller
  • Mr. Driller 2
  • Mr. Driller Great
  • Mr. Driller Ace
  • Mr. Driller Drill Land
  • Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
  • Mr. Driller Online
  • Mr. Driller World

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that this situation sucks, but if this game from 13 years ago had a physical release, it too wouldn't be available in stores right now.

I don't understand why this has turned into a physical vs digital argument. I'm a hardcore physical collector, but some games just don't make sense for the publisher to release physically. All the big releases are still giving both options on consoles. I know that may not be the case forever, but right now both sides can be happy and yet endlessly argue about which is better.

EDIT: Just saw that 2006 was the Japan date. Still, this wouldn't have been released if not for the digital option.
Why do people keep saying this? It's literally a PS1 ISO packaged in Sony's emulator.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ps1 game being rereleased for Ps3, yes.
I mean PS1 discs are playable on PS3 so I'm not sure what your point is. Yes, PS1 Classics happened because of digital distribution being cheaper than pressing new PS1 discs, Namco wasn't about to start pressing new PS1 discs in the 2010s. It's still just an ISO in Sony's emulator. That doesn't make this delisting any less shitty or make any more sense.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
To everyone concerned about physical being "foolproof"... it doesn't have to be. Bit rot and sudden hard drive failure are much more dangerous than possible disc rot. Professionally pressed discs can last many decades when taken care of, and don't have to put up with hard drive transfers that could go wrong.

The common response is "What if someone doesn't take care of their discs?"
What if someone doesn't take care of their hard drives? You can only take the personal care argument so far.

Physical is just better as a concept. The benefits of digital are very few, and many of those benefits are not innate to digital at all; pricing, for example.
lmao yeah physical sounds so much better when you don't mention all the other ways that physical media can be destroyed: theft, accident, children, angry spouses, earthquake, fire (all of which have happened to me sans fire). Also bit rot and HDD failure sound so terrifying when you don't mention you can just redownload or backup the game. HDD issues don't lose you the license, so great false equivalence there.

Deleted member 26684

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lmao yeah physical sounds so much better when you don't mention all the other ways that physical media can be destroyed: theft, accident, children, angry spouses, earthquake, fire (all of which have happened to me sans fire). Also bit rot and HDD failure sound so terrifying when you don't mention you can just redownload or backup the game. HDD issues don't lose you the license, so great false equivalence there.
You're talking about very extreme responses for physical copies (and I've been in four out of those six), and very normal responses for digital copies. Something else that's very normal about a digital copy: there's no guarantee at all that you can "just redownload or backup the game". Don't even bring licenses into this, that's a whole other box of demons that's not worth opening.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People can steal your PSN/Steam/Xbox account. Your kids could get your PSN/Steam/Xbox account hacked or permanently banned.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess its time to quote myself from the last disc rot thread

What if someone wants to buy a phisical copy of Radiant Silvergun now?

they cry until they actually buy it

(like me in a few years ;_;)

if its still via sony's service you are still dead in the water if they ban you.

The whole point of having physical copy is to have a copy that actually is yours and not in some company's cloud. But if you want it to last as long as you can just securing a physical wont be enough.

Cloud fanboys love to tout physical media rot as lol cloud is better, but wont actually mention the fact that human error is still involved with cloud services and that cloud services have their own unique problems, like companies deciding exactly what they want to do with your stuff since they put that in the EULA.

The only sure fire way to make sure things are yours without any prying eyes nowadays is to

1. Obtain an original Physical copy or get a digital version that is stripped of DRM

2. Back up that software on YOUR own home built offline server so no one can walk in and either sell your info or remove it from your collection because their IP rights expired

3. Burn that software off the back up into a physical media for use or copy it onto the device that can play it

4. Make regular backups (offsite!)and switch out hard drives as needed.

The only real collection that can last is a physical/digital mix and the only points of failure should be you or an act of god.