darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Whole thing is starting to remind me of last year when there were a whole lot of insiders who were supposedly 100% sure Game Pass was coming to Switch and it turned out to be complete nonsense. Sometimes there isn't a fire, theres just a lot of smoke.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I will be happy to eat crow if they do it, but I just cannot see them removing the paid online. There is no business reason to remove it. They make so much money, I can't see it going away unless they have another method to make money.

Sure, Xcloud/GamePass could take off on non-Xbox consoles but that's a big IF. Game streaming is by no means a guaranteed success in the next 1-3 years, especially with a global economic downturn. So it would be strange to me they'd remove the online fee requirement for non-F2P games with so much uncertainty about Xcloud in the future. If Xcloud is a smash success, has tens of millions of subscribers across a variety of platforms in a few years, sure, they'd have replaced that revenue source. But as is, I want to believe the insiders but IDK.

This is the same company that kept XBL Gold a requirement for F2P games in the 3 years AFTER Fortnite became the biggest gaming phenom since Minecraft/Pokemon, so I will not hold my breath for this type of significant change.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
If Gold stays, there is going to be a backlash.... but it's a backlash about a rumour and generalized belief spun from journalists, bloggers and forums. So .. they'll get roasted for nothing. Basically MS keeps gold, there is backlash. Sony keeps PS+, no backlash. THESE ARE WEIRD TIMES MAN.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when companies do this and then just announce the exact opposite in short order. Just don't "respond to rumors or speculation."

So dumb.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
No, it doesn't make a lick of sense to charge for online multiplayer unless your goal is to fleece your customers (which it clearly is I guess). But it should make no sense to us.

What is the weird Stockholm Syndrome gamers have about paying for online? Or are there just way more MS and Sony shareholders on this board that I would have thought?

Where did I say in my post it makes sense to "us"? You're being weirdly aggressive and reading into things which I never wrote.

It makes a lot of business sense to keep that paywall up, it's the biggest source of revenue for both MS/Sony. Expecting one of them to throw it out of some mis-guided sense of charity and morality, now that really doesn't make sense.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So this is just essentially a price hike for XBL Gold then likely in an attempt to get people to just get gamepass instead.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't they already heavily implied that the gold paywall is coming down for f2p games? That would be a change.
They announced that but people are insistant that it's the whole online paywall going away which never made sense. It's probably going to be combined with gamepass basic.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
'XBOX Live Gold remains unchanged!'

'For the new Series X, we are proud to announce X Live Platinum. A new premium service designed with exclusive content for the loyal Series X owners!'

/s

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
If Gold isn't going away, it must suck to be Microsoft with how much hype this rumor is getting.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing is changing then that means F2P games are still locked behind gold....

Why would they make Infinite F2P, but really only have it be F2P on PC? Something is going to change.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I still believe is going away at least for F2P games. They would need to be very dumb to release a free Halo MP and lock it behind a paywall on consoles.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Well they aren't going to annoucned anything right now just because of some rumors. The "at this time" basically make this statement meaningless since they can announced the new thing next week and it would still be accurate.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I will be happy to eat crow if they do it, but I just cannot see them removing the paid online. There is no business reason to remove it. They make so much money, I can't see it going away unless they have another method to make money.

Sure, Xcloud/GamePass could take off on non-Xbox consoles but that's a big IF. Game streaming is by no means a guaranteed success in the next 1-3 years, especially with a global economic downturn. So it would be strange to me they'd remove the online fee requirement for non-F2P games with so much uncertainty about Xcloud in the future. If Xcloud is a smash success, has tens of millions of subscribers across a variety of platforms in a few years, sure, they'd have replaced that revenue source. But as is, I want to believe the insiders but IDK.

This is the same company that kept XBL Gold a requirement for F2P games in the 3 years AFTER Fortnite became the biggest gaming phenom since Minecraft/Pokemon, so I will not hold my breath for this type of significant change.

Yeah I think there is no way they stop taking money from all the people playing Call of Duty and Fifa and Madden online.

I think they could drop the gold requirement for games on Game Pass.

I think they could drop the gold requirement for f2p games.

I think they could discontinue Games With Gold.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how pro-consumer or money rich you are - Ultimately makes sense when you consider how much sub money they would just giving up.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
So they managed to make Gold more expensive by removing the 12 month option whilst offering bottom of the barrel monthly games?

They seem to be doing their best at making Gold as unattractive as possible to get people to move to GamePass.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
So they've said no but people think that means "yes, but later"? You got that much faith in your twitter leakers?

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just going to be moving f2p outside the paywall. I.e. catching up to Sony and Nintendo. The current situation of paywalling f2p games is anti-consumer.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020

"We have no plans to discontinue Xbox Live Gold at this time. It is an important part of gaming on Xbox today, and will continue to be in the future."

still, Warren seems to think this doesn't mean it will not be free in the future, I'm not sure I get what he means (how would you make XBL and XBLG separate if multiplayer becomes free?)