• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
How are people defending this? It was never appropriate to make the nazi comparison whatever the intent. It doesn't matter if he was directly comparing sanders to the nazis or not.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Matthews is pretty much a moderate Republican. ..... Just going to leave it at that. I don't care if people tear into him for this.

Earlier today he was talking about how maybe 4 more years of Trump isn't so bad compared to Bernie heading the Dems. But go on.

To be honest that's the same thought I had about the moderate Dems. I wouldn't be surprised if some thought that at all.

Just like I wasn't shocked when Dems didn't come out and back Obama after ACA passed and instead handed a lot of power over to the GOP.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Weird how the only jewish person running gets all the nazi comparisons thrown at them.

Bloomberg is Jewish as well. He's no threat to the the establishment though, so you won't see it mentioned unless it's to say how completely monumental it would be if he were to become the first Jewish president.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear Matthews is taking big swigs from a bottle of Jack, staring at that MAGA hat peeking out from inside of his desk drawer, wondering how much longer he can hold back before he has to put that shit on.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These political hack news networks stopped being about informing the public and started being about appeasing their corporate ownership and advertisers. That's who their real audience is.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
It's far past time he was put out to pasture. Hi interview style remains one of the most irritating out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Matthews has a $5MM/annual salary. There's a reason why he would prefer a dishrag Democrat or a continued Trump presidency over Sanders.

He's shook. Good.
Anyone who doesn't submit to the will of the rich and powerful is apparently a 'Nazi' in their eyes. When they crumble into ashes like this, you know you've bumped into the power structures that be. This is when you don't ever let up and deliver the crushing knockout blow.

Oct 27, 2017
These political hack news networks stopped being about informing the public and started being about appeasing their corporate ownership and advertisers. That's who their real audience is.
This.These past few years have really exposed the rich as the evil manipulating game-fixing hacks that they really are. Their divide and conquer tactics are really transparent at this point. The inflection point for me was Rutger Bregman's tirade at Davos about the rich always weaseling out of paying their taxes and instead changing the topic with token philanthropy....immediately followed by a Yahoo! Exec in the crowd committing that exact non-sequitur almost as if on cue as a response to Rutger's criticism, even going so far as to praise Trump while claiming to be a liberal and exposing himself for what he really is in the process.

Last edited:

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
At minimum, Matthews and Todd should have been forced to publicly apologize for their recent comments. Fucking disgusting hacks.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how you interpret Matthews' loaded comments, he's very clearly been freaking out over this primary in an unhealthy way and should probably take a nice break away from it. And TV cameras.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure why people are pulling the "he didn't literally say" card as though subtext and implication have suddenly become foreign concepts. We talk all the time about dogwhistle rhetoric and this is no different. People don't have to literally say what they really mean to spread gross opinions and ideas. As people have already mentioned, the context and choice of this statement from Matthews speaks volumes on its own and doesn't require Matthews actually calling Bernie a Nazi.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't argue with that. I'm mostly going on what I hear before I can switch the channel. But he's not literally saying "four more years of trump isn't so bad."What he's saying is dumb enough without reframing it from rhetorical to suggestion.
It's possible that sentence didn't end with 'isnt so bad' and that by excluding the rest of it some might say you are reframing my statement to be more easily objected to.

Also sure the, as you describe, moderate dem who had and vocalized this thought could be just supposing the possibility that other moderate dems might think this way. I'm aware you're a good faith poster but this is an amazing amount of charity you're extending to Matthews.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Only weeks ago he compared Bernie's campaign momentum to Fidel Castro and earlier today said the Dems might do better to just wait out a second Trump term than to let Sanders "take over the Democratic Party in pepertuity."

So no, it is not being blown out of proportion. Matthews is melting down on live television and he's not even the only one. Chuck Todd just called Sanders supporters "the brown shirt brigade", Joy Reid and Nicolle Wallace are calling them an "angry minority" as though people are being forced to vote for a candidate or something. The network is very much having A Moment right now, as most establishment media liberals and centrists are.

Can't help but be a bit disappointed that it's MSNBC clearly shaking in their boots having A Moment while CNN is just continuing to chug itself along.

But then I guess that's the benefit of CNN's eternal fence-sitting: when you never have to claim a stake in the game, you never have to lose.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why people are pulling the "he didn't literally say" card as though subtext and implication have suddenly become foreign concepts. We talk all the time about dogwhistle rhetoric and this is no different. People don't have to literally say what they really mean to spread gross opinions and ideas. As people have already mentioned, the context and choice of this statement from Matthews speaks volumes on its own and doesn't require Matthews actually calling Bernie a Nazi.
This.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Yep, words have meaning. And we all take subconscious cues from them so to say this is meaningless is a joke.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
A millionaire treating tax increases like the coming of the Third Reich. Matthews is a fucking joke.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked that this is being defended and minimized.

Oh wait, no I'm not. Contrarians continue to be the worst.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but be a bit disappointed that it's MSNBC clearly shaking in their boots having A Moment while CNN is just continuing to chug itself along.

But then I guess that's the benefit of CNN's eternal fence-sitting: when you never have to claim a stake in the game, you never have to lose.

They're supposed to be fence sitters.

They're a news outlet.

You expect them to push 1-sided agendas like Fox or MSNBC?

Technically, none of these news channels should be pushing agendas. They should be reporting Facts and moving on.

Instead we get horrible shit like Hannity and Carlson and Matthews caping for Trump or the DNC die-hards.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Seems pretty odd to make a Nazi comparison with Sanders when the opponent he'd be facing if he wins the primary is much more well suited to such comparisons in pretty much every way imaginable

This is my hangup with Chris right. Since I dropped cable I haven't been watching his show as much as I used to but he was always specific with his references so I agree he is comparing Sanders with fascists. What I want to know is if he ever expressed similar sentiments about Trump...

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

Well let's not let them completely off the hook. CNN also has an endless stream of shithead never Trumpers, Trump Republicans, and most recently Andrew Yang on to more subtlely (not all that subtle) do the same thing MSNBC is doing.

They're just not stupid enough to go full "I'm going to be executed in Central Park" quite yet.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They're supposed to be fence sitters.

They're a news outlet.

You expect them to push 1-sided agendas like Fox or MSNBC?

Technically, none of these news channels should be pushing agendas. They should be reporting Facts and moving on.

Instead we get horrible shit like Hannity and Carlson and Matthews caping for Trump or the DNC die-hards.

Ideally this is all correct, but it isn't an ideal attained with these major 24-hour news channels that need a constant stream of talking heads analyzing and debating every point that drops on a desk. CNN and MSNBC are not these neutral arbiters of information, they do have their biases, and CNN's bias is towards a "both sides" centrism that values a sense of absolute fair play regardless of how fair that play actually is. This is the dreaded "fence-sitting" that they get so much shit for.

Because ideally, yes, these new stations should just be pure neutral unadulterated journalistic news.

Well let's not let them completely off the hook. CNN also has an endless stream of shithead never Trumpers, Trump Republicans, and most recently Andrew Yang on to more subtlely (not all that subtle) do the same thing MSNBC is doing.

They're just not stupid enough to go full "I'm going to be executed in Central Park" quite yet.

Continuing on above, the thing with MSNBC is that it tries to straddle between being a Democratic alternative to Fox News and keeping the same centrist mentality as CNN. So they get more talk show-y with the likes of Chris Matthews and Joe Scarborough in a way that CNN doesn't really like to do.

Like, say what you will on Wolf Blitzer I can't see him ever putting his feet in his mouth this dramatically.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Death and taxes, Chris. Both inevitable, but don't confuse them, idiot.

How is he still employed?