• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Final trailer? There were other trailers of this!?

edit-The little dragon isn't in this!? disney what is you doing baby

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was never the biggest fan of Mulan, but this looks really cool. May watch this in cinema if I get the chance.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Actress for main character Mulan (who is also a naturalised US citizen and gave up her Chinese citizenship) supports police brutality in Hong Kong and reposted the "What a shame for Hong Kong" on her Weibo social media page.

Hope it bombs.

liuyifei-ohno.jpg

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
^Yeah that definitely put a huge damper on my enthusiasm for this movie. What a shame too since the trailers looks pretty great for me actually.

Oh and on that note, for all the guys saying this is generic and bland "chinese movie" whatever that means...
I'm begging you, with all sincerity, to recommend me some other decent looking chinese dynasty setting, big budget wuxia movie.
Please?

Last one I remember was Red Cliff, I think. Jeez that's 2008...

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it bombs.
Regardless to it's quality, the issues with the actress and the likely hands-on the Chinese government has had, it's just a Chinese propaganda flick.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think this will be the first bomb of the Disney remakes. Not that the film doesn't look decent, but I don't think it will appeal to the audiences these films are generally targeted at.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think this will be the first bomb of the Disney remakes. Not that the film doesn't look decent, but I don't think it will appeal to the audiences these films are generally targeted at.
Alice 2 and Dumbo both underperformed I think. You think this will do less than those?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am excited in a sense that this is the first Disney remake that tries to be its own thing. The Lion King was so bland because it is basically an emotionless version of it.

Oh yeah, going to be it's own thing.

If we completely forget about Maleficent.

And Pete's Dragon.

And Dumbo.

And the sequel to Maleficent as well.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Without the songs and cartoon aesthetic it just really confuses me that this movie is being produced and written by americans, shot by a new zealander, made for american audiences with all these Asian actors speaking English. Seems weird and kinda tacky. Would be way more interested in a big-budget chinese interpretation of the story.

Mephariel

Dec 3, 2018
This is closer to the original Mulan story than the animated version but should not be called Mulan?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? No songs, no dragon? This is literally just another generic wuxia with a plot that has been reused a thousand times. None of these remakes have come close to the original, but this one isnt even in the same ballpark.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Alice 2 and Dumbo both underperformed I think. You think this will do less than those?
I remember when the animation was released, it failed to live up to the expectations Disney's other golden age titles. Although it was better than Pocahontas.

With a Disney obsessed girl in the house that has seen most of the live action output in the cinema (including Alice 2 and Dumbo), see doesn't have the slightest interest in seeing this. The fact she wants to go see Sonic more than anything should give you an idea on how she perceives it.

I personally don't think it will be bad, I just don't think it has the draw of Disney's other output.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Actress for main character Mulan (who is also a naturalised US citizen and gave up her Chinese citizenship) supports police brutality in Hong Kong and reposted the "What a shame for Hong Kong" on her Weibo social media page.

Hope it bombs.

liuyifei-ohno.jpg

Her views on HK aside, I don't know why you brought up the giving up her Chinese citizenship. China doesn't allow dual citizenship, and that's normal, a lot of countries do that, like Japan for starters.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
disney had a mulan movie already

you would think an adaptation would be faithful to that movie they already made

Or you would think an adaptation in 2020 would be more faithful to the culture from which the story originates and is set rather than do what the animated version did, using stereotypes and turning it into an American musical. If you want that, it's like you said: that movie has already been made. There's no need to make that again, and it's a good thing Disney didn't.

Last edited:

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Her views on HK aside, I don't know why you brought up the giving up her Chinese citizenship. China doesn't allow dual citizenship, and that's normal, a lot of countries do that, like Japan for starters.

You'd think that if she got her US citizenship she believes in democracy. But no, she's a sham.

Apr 19, 2018
So in light of COVID-19. it looks like the U.S. release of the movie is still on target for March 27th, but will be delayed in other international markets. China is almost certainly going to be one of them:

"Mulan" Delayed Overseas, Stays Put In U.S. - Dark Horizons

In the wake of “No Time to Die” being postponed until November earlier today, speculation is quickly rising as to what will be pushed next? The only other two box-office juggernauts opening before May are Paramount’s “A Quiet Place Part II” and Disney’s “Mulan”. The former isn’t expected to be...

There's also a new behind-the-scenes featurette, which I don't think has been posted yet:

Last edited: