Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i want a more mature story so the metroid prime series can finally transcend the label of video games and become more of an experience

or maybe a game where your choices actually matter. what's telltale up to recently because they are really good with that sort of thing.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i want a more mature story so the metroid prime series can finally transcend the label of video games and become more of an experience

or maybe a game where your choices actually matter. what's telltale up to recently because they are really good with that sort of thing.
This is the exact opposite of what I want
It's a joke post right?

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
You want a romance/marriage system too?
No, that'd counter my E for everyone rating. Though what I'd give for some tig ol' bitty Zero suit

No though E for everyone. Metroid might be too hard and scary looking for my 5 year old kid. I hope it's linear and has a bright and colorful cartoony artstyle. Maybe even some classic anime tropes too. My kid loves that

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not know what has to change but if Metroid Prime 4 is the same as the previous ones, it will never succeed.

It's easy to divert attention to marketing, the console ... but the games themselves have commercial problems

If there is an ip that can not be closed to change, it is Metroid

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I do not know what has to change but if Metroid Prime 4 is the same as the previous ones, it will never succeed.

It's easy to divert attention to marketing, the console ... but the games themselves have commercial problems

...what?
I understood the first sentence... I think..

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It can sell very good being Metroid Prime. It did great on the GameCube which had poor sales

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

The franchise has this reputation of a lost Holy Grail at this point.

As long as the MC average lives up to that reputation, it will break the shit out of that glass ceiling.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I definitely agree that isolation and atmosphere with an emphasis on exploration needs to be the focus of the game. I also think it's definitely possible to spice up the gameplay to make something that's more fluid and engaging while not breaking the more meditative pace of the game. Here are a few ideas for controls/mechanics:

1. Dual analog lock-on control system with a motion option. This is just the natural evolution of the series's controls.

2. Sprinting/Speed Booster. Sprinting has been around since Super Metroid, so adding it as an option wouldn't be out of place. Sprinting doesn't have to be super fast, just a little bit more speedy as an alternate movement option. After the player picks up the speed booster, it will activate after sprinting for a little while, pulling the camera out into third person for better view and control.

3. Ledge grab. Have a ledge grab mechanic similar to Fusion/Zero Mission and other FPS's.

4. Multiple beams. Bring back the beam swapping from Metroid Prime 1-2, and be really creative with it.

5. Melee attack. This could be a simple bash with the arm cannon or her fist that leaves enemies stunned for a little bit. Basically, it would be the attack from Samus Returns in first person. Perhaps Samus could even charge it up with energy or something similar to make it more powerful.

6. Grapple beam pull. You can latch on to certain enemies. Humanoid or medium-size enemies would work well. After latching on, Samus can pull the enemy towards herself and then either attack it with a melee blow or, if there is a fully charged shot, fire it at point-blank range for an attack with extra damage. If it's a large enemy, maybe Samus could pull herself in for an attack and then either get pushed back or jump back to her original position to resume normal combat.

7. Dodging mechanic. Have a button that allows Samus to boost quickly in the inputted direction, similar to how she was able to strafe in the original Prime series, but quicker and not tied to jumping side to side. It might feel better and more effective if it pulled out into third person. However, pulling out into third person might break the flow of combat.

I think these options can help to modernize the combat and movement without making the game too much like FPS's, especially if the focus of the game is still isolation, atmosphere, and exploration. Since the objective is not just to get to the end of a level, sprinting around as fast as you can isn't always going to be the best and most desirable option, but it would be an option nonetheless. The added combat features can help to make combat more exciting and varied while still keeping that from being the focus. Along with these gameplay improvements, I think that some visual cues and improvements, such as varied melee attack animations, more animation steps on dodging or jumping in order to make it feel better, and details such as the visor flashing red and/or shaking after a powerful attack has hit Samus, can really help to make things a bit more exciting, creating a bigger contrast between the adrenaline-rushing combat and the more meditative exploration, emphasizing both. As long as the eerie atmosphere, music, exploration, and designs remain the focus throughout all of it, I think things like this will help to add more elements to and spice up the gameplay we all know and love.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I definitely agree that isolation and atmosphere with an emphasis on exploration needs to be the focus of the game. I also think it's definitely possible to spice up the gameplay to make something that's more fluid and engaging while not breaking the more meditative pace of the game. Here are a few ideas for controls/mechanics:

1. Dual analog lock-on control system with a motion option. This is just the natural evolution of the series's controls.

2. Sprinting/Speed Booster. Sprinting has been around since Super Metroid, so adding it as an option wouldn't be out of place. Sprinting doesn't have to be super fast, just a little bit more speedy as an alternate movement option. After the player picks up the speed booster, it will activate after sprinting for a little while, pulling the camera out into third person for better view and control.

3. Ledge grab. Have a ledge grab mechanic similar to Fusion/Zero Mission and other FPS's.

4. Multiple beams. Bring back the beam swapping from Metroid Prime 1-2, and be really creative with it.

5. Melee attack. This could be a simple bash with the arm cannon or her fist that leaves enemies stunned for a little bit. Basically, it would be the attack from Samus Returns in first person. Perhaps Samus could even charge it up with energy or something similar to make it more powerful.

6. Grapple beam pull. You can latch on to certain enemies. Humanoid or medium-size enemies would work well. After latching on, Samus can pull the enemy towards herself and then either attack it with a melee blow or, if there is a fully charged shot, fire it at point-blank range for an attack with extra damage. If it's a large enemy, maybe Samus could pull herself in for an attack and then either get pushed back or jump back to her original position to resume normal combat.

7. Dodging mechanic. Have a button that allows Samus to boost quickly in the inputted direction, similar to how she was able to strafe in the original Prime series, but quicker and not tied to jumping side to side. It might feel better and more effective if it pulled out into third person. However, pulling out into third person might break the flow of combat.

I think these options can help to modernize the combat and movement without making the game too much like FPS's, especially if the focus of the game is still isolation, atmosphere, and exploration. Since the objective is not just to get to the end of a level, sprinting around as fast as you can isn't always going to be the best and most desirable option, but it would be an option nonetheless. The added combat features can help to make combat more exciting and varied while still keeping that from being the focus. Along with these gameplay improvements, I think that some visual cues and improvements, such as varied melee attack animations, more animation steps on dodging or jumping in order to make it feel better, and details such as the visor flashing red and/or shaking after a powerful attack has hit Samus, can really help to make things a bit more exciting, creating a bigger contrast between the adrenaline-rushing combat and the more meditative exploration, emphasizing both. As long as the eerie atmosphere, music, exploration, and designs remain the focus throughout all of it, I think things like this will help to add more elements to and spice up the gameplay we all know and love.

These are some good-ass ideas! I wouldn't make melee more powerful than shooting, though, as I think that detracted a lot from Samus Returns and made the fights take too long and feel a bit QTE-ish. Melee should be a last-ditch move that gets you out of immediate danger when too close to an enemy but not do much damage IMO.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm just happy we are getting a new 3D Metroid, man.

I don't really care what it is tbh, I trust Nintendo on this one.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...what?
I understood the first sentence... I think..
Metroid don't sell. The Prime games didn't sell well.
When you think about the fact that a single episode of The Witcher or any other big AAA game sells more than the entirety of the Metroid games, that is about a dozen games, remakes and spin-offs included, it doesn't give much confidence. I've given up hope of Metroid being a big hit, it hurts everytime. The fans are vocal but the truth is that people don't care about it. Prime games are incredibly hard to make, genre defining experiences, and they sell like shit.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Metroid don't sell. The Prime games didn't sell well.
When you think about the fact that a single episode of The Witcher or any other big AAA game sells more than the entirety of the Metroid games, that is about a dozen games, remakes and spin-offs included, it doesn't give much confidence. I've given up hope of Metroid being a big hit, it hurts everytime. The fans are vocal but the truth is that people don't care about it. Prime games are incredibly hard to make, genre defining experiences, and they sell like shit.
Well, maybe this will be Metroids FE:Awakening.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure! After what they have done with the Zelda and Mario series I honestly can't see this go wrong.
Same. Nintendo is clicking on a cylinders with their big titles. Zelda and Mario were amazing. Some of the best ever and Smash will be the same. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna is my 3rd favorite Switch game. Splatoon 2 is great.

I have no doubt Metroid Prime 4 will continue this Nintendo train. I mean they are finally bringing back Metroid Prime after a decade. The series has been at a low point. Tanabe saw the extremely negative reactions to Federation Force.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I hope it's kind of an open world style prometheus-like planet, with a few old factory/labs and points of interest that you need to unlock through puzzles or items to get further and explore what went wrong. You can go everywhere from the start, but can't enter everything/get further without getting the right items.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they do a Metroid Prime Trilogy Remaster some time before release. I want to play all those games again.

Jan 2, 2018
Also the less said about SMO's non wedding fakeout the better. Hint it's bad writing to have a character in a wedding dress all show/film/game and not have them get married to someone be it the original suitor or another.

It's called "subverting expectations".

I hate The Last Jedi...

Joke aside, I found the ending of SMO really funny, so I don't agree with you.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
The only scenario in which I don't see the game having good sales is if it reviews badly. Other M is the living proof of the power of bad reviews.

If the game is good, I'm sure it will easily be a million seller. The Switch momentum plus the thirst for Metroid will ensure that.

I still have made up my mind if Metroid is really a poor seller or just had plain bad luck. MP2 was released on a dying console and had the biggest competition a game can possibly have (Halo 2, MGS4, GTA San Andreas, Half-Life 2...am I missing more?)

MP3 released on a successful console, but had one of the weakest marketing campaigns I have ever seen. It was barely shown on presentations and the ads only started to shown up when it was just a week left for the release. The Metroid channel felt like something that only appealed for those who knew Metroid already.

Other M had almost everything. Successful console and a decent marketing campaign, but it was a horrible revirwed game, and there is no amount of marketing that can save a badly reviewed game.

If MP4 bombs this time, specially with good reviews and all the Goodwill this time, I will come in terms with the franchise's destiny of being niche.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The only scenario in which I don't see the game having good sales is if it reviews badly. Other M is the living proof of the power of bad reviews.

If the game is good, I'm sure it will easily be a million seller. The Switch momentum plus the thirst for Metroid will ensure that.

I still have made up my mind if Metroid is really a poor seller or just had plain bad luck. MP2 was released on a dying console and had the biggest competition a game can possibly have (Halo 2, MGS4, GTA San Andreas, Half-Life 2...am I missing more?)

MP3 released on a successful console, but had one of the weakest marketing campaigns I have ever seen. It was barely shown on presentations and the ads only started to shown up when it was just a week left for the release. The Metroid channel felt like something that only appealed for those who knew Metroid already.

Other M had almost everything. Successful console and a decent marketing campaign, but it was a horrible revirwed game, and there is no amount of marketing that can save a badly reviewed game.

If MP4 bombs this time, specially with good reviews and all the Goodwill this time, I will come in terms with the franchise's destiny of being niche.
Of course it will be a million seller, but if in this forum there are people who consider ARMS a failure I can not think that 2 million for example for Metroid Prime 4 can be considered a success.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid seems pretty well suited for an open world approach like botw. Exploring an alien planet would be awesome but they should leave out the colored doors and just let the player explore and give upgrades that make exploring dangerous areas easier, like being able to take short cuts and stuff. And you should be able to go to the last boss from the get go too.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Exactly. If it's a decent Metroid Prime that's more of the same like MP3 it will do ok, become a million seller probably and that's it. I wouldn't call that success.

Imho the series have untapped potential and could become multi million sellers that will guarantee constant releases (like every 4-5 years).

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a fan of good games I find it hard to care about this tbh. Hopefully Nintendo focuses on quality over marketability.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be pegged by this game.
4989.jpg

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
...people are acting like the Metroid franchise is only known for catastrophically bad sales. Right up until and including Metroid Prime 3, the series was consistently breaking 1 million+ in sales. When you factor in re-releases and longevity (we don't know actual lifetime sales), most would be sitting around 1.5 - 2.0 million. Relative to their release, all of these were (to my knowledge) considered successful. Enough to warrant continued release.

The series shit the bed in sales starting with Other M. Which, might I add, I doubt wouldn't have existed if Corruption hadn't indicated Metroid games can continue to sell on the Wii. Last bets on Other M were Reggie implying it'd hit almost 500k in the USA a couple of months after release. We don't have concrete numbers globally, but I guess we can look at 500k - 1m.
Federation Force fucking tanked, to the surprise of no one.
Samus Returns...who fucking knows. Nintendo has been super coy about sales data, which could be seen as bad. *shrug*

Beyond that, I guess it really depends on what expectations are, budget Nintendo is working with, and how receptive the market would be to a new METROID PRIME 4.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
- MP4 gameplay reveal
- Metroid Prime Trilogy early next year
- Samus Returns on Switch eShop now!

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I reeeaally hope it doesn't introduce twin stick controls and sticks with the lock-on mechanic.. That's what made the gameplay distinct *cough better* to other shooters for me.. Also fits the lore better with the exotic tech suit.. And, I hope the gameplay expands with the improved graphical ability of the Switch to have swarms of enemies which the lock-on style could exploit really well.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand your reasoning because if F-Zero sold well there would still be F-Zero.

If Metroid Prime 4 sells well, there will be more Metroid Prime. It is quite simple.
The things I love about Metroid are not marketable. If they have to turn it into a different series for it to succeed, then I would rather just get one game as a treat.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
My crazy Metroid suit customization idea:

Rather than having Samus conveniently lose all her power ups at the beginning of the game, let her start with all of them, BUT have the upgrades all require a certain number of Energy Tanks to activate. You lose most Energy Tanks at the beginning, and have to pick which power ups to have activated at any given time.

Eg: At a point where you have 10 Energy Tanks you may choose to assign them like:

2 Tanks for health
1 Tank to activate Double Jump
4 Tanks to Activate the Wave Beam
2 Tanks to Activate the Morph Ball
1 Tank to Activate the X-Ray Visor

Reassigning Energy Tanks could be done at the ship, which can be summoned to certain areas.

Downloading map data for a particular area could give you information on which upgrades need to be activated to navigate that area (so you can gear up appropriately in advance).

Players could be kept out of certain late game areas by having them require several power ups to navigate, so you can't get through a certain zone without 30 Energy Tanks worth of power ups.

By the end game you've collected enough Energy Tanks to have all your suit upgrades unlocked at the same time, and can be a bad ass.

You could kind of set your own difficulty by choosing how many Energy Tanks to assign to Health vs suit upgrades at any given time.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Are they going to start the game off with the cliche "Samus loses all her power ups"?
What is the alternative? You can not make a metroidvania with all the power ups from the beginning and you can not add new ones with each game until Samus looks like a Swiss army knife.

Imagine controlling Samus with all the power ups accumulated in the trilogy plus new ones. It would be unmanageable, both in control and level design

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I should have high hopes for this. It seems Nintendo goes all out for certain franchises but settles for average on the other ones. We'll see where this one lands.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
METROID PRIME 4
- Open world planet design with dungeons.
- Towns/hubs to visit, talk to NPCs and get quests.
- Rich dialogue system with NPCs, full voice acting.
- Sylux companion. Constant dynamic dialogue and conversations between the two (inspired by Uncharted 4).
- RPG levelling system for equipment; customise Samus and Sylux suit and weapons, different character skills to focus on (eg: Sniper Samus, Healer Sylux, etc).
- Buy/sell scavenged loot and animal parts, craft new gear.
- PVP arena multiplayer mode.

Who are you and what did you do with Eat?

Didn't help previous games. Nor did it help other single player, first person games like Prey or Dishonored. Both of these studios are now pivoted towards gaas-y multiplayer games. That's not to say Metroid will do poorly or will become a multiplayer title. But given the market, simply doing better than MP1 will happen by virtue of being on the switch. Doing well enough to become a more long-term staple? Something has to change, and what that is might put it at odds with long-time fans

It's not like Prime sales were abysmal. It was pretty decent, specially if you take into account the GameCube's install base. I actually believe the series can reach a new high on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.