• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
wait ... how many days are we away from launch, exactly?

Considering these updates seem to be daily, if we take out the ....22(?) characters we can see how many new stuff we can expect

Assuming I'm counting right even if they did every character in the roster every day there's still ~15 days remaining until launch. And even if they included the stages too we'd still have ~5 remaining.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Assuming I'm counting right even if they did every character in the roster every day there's still ~15 days remaining until launch. And even if they included the stages too we'd still have ~5 remaining.

Now we just need to confirm if things like Parry/Running attack will count for the daily update
if mechanics are out but stages are in we have like 2 or 3 stages (not sure if animaniacs stage counts) and 2 or 3 characters

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
My guess is Warner Bros isn't letting them market it
thats-a-bold-strategy-lets-see.gif

They might be hoping for the cinematic to do most of the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I have a lot of gripes about the marketing and have posted them here, but this isn't one of them. Not everything is targeted at people who played the beta, this is the full release of the game and I'm sure they're hoping that comes with new players and are aiming for exactly that. Doing a roster reveal makes sense, especially in the way they're doing it. Not like they're wasting precious time and money on trailers for the characters people who played the beta already know are in.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of gripes about the marketing and have posted them here, but this isn't one of them. Not everything is targeted at people who played the beta, this is the full release of the game and I'm sure they're hoping that comes with new players and are aiming for exactly that. Doing a roster reveal makes sense, especially in the way they're doing it. Not like they're wasting precious time and money on trailers for the characters people who played the beta already know are in.
Nah that wasn't a beta except when they found it convenient to call it that for their own defense. There was plenty of fanfare and ads all over the console UIs when launched, it was featured at Evo and it won an award at the GAs. When they sold $100 or so Founder's Packs, $12 ringouts and all other absurdly priced stuff, they lost all justification for calling it a beta. The whole beta thing was gaslighting. Let's not perpetuate that.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Nah that wasn't a beta except when they found it convenient to call it that for their own defense. There was plenty of fanfare and ads all over the console UIs when launched, it was featured at Evo and it won an award at the GAs. When they sold $100 or so Founder's Packs, $12 ringouts and all other absurdly priced stuff, they lost all justification for calling it a beta. The whole beta thing was gaslighting. Let's not perpetuate that.
Was the awful bug a rapidly declining playerbase?

View: https://twitter.com/Tony_Huynh/status/1541978876548526080?s=19

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Literally nothing that you just said has anything to do with what I said at all. I actually agree with you. But that does nothing to counter the fact that they did then take down the beta and thus are now marketing for a full release and thus are marketing towards players who have not yet played the game too.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Honestly i don't think anyone will care for the relaunch of Multiversus except for those who paid money already.

I'll play it again for sure but not sure if i'm staying for long.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i don't think anyone will care for the relaunch of Multiversus except for those who paid money already.

I still wont write it off just yet since its free to play. But they need to support it better going forward this time. If it gets stale or badly unbalanced to the point it sheds players again, its probably doomed. Its WB though, even MK1 is having "problems" with competitive player retention so I have no idea what to expect.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Define "anyone," because I don't think it reaches the peaks of the beta or anything like that but I think it will have several thousand players (on Steam, we never knew console numbers). While hopefully doing better at maintaining those players but that's up in the air til we see how they support the game. It'll never be Smash of course, but it can fill its own niche. Even at its deadest it was nowhere near as dead as Nick Brawl, for example.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Define "anyone," because I don't think it reaches the peaks of the beta or anything like that but I think it will have several thousand players (on Steam, we never knew console numbers). While hopefully doing better at maintaining those players but that's up in the air til we see how they support the game. It'll never be Smash of course, but it can fill its own niche. Even at its deadest it was nowhere near as dead as Nick Brawl, for example.

By anyone i mean the mass market, the game already launched, was already played and the player numbers declined before, i don't know if it's gonna reach the number of players it had before at launch.

Nick Brawl was a full price release iirc.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
www.truetrophies.com

PS5 MultiVersus players are up by 370% despite game still being dead

MultiVersus' PS5 and PS4 player count in April 2024 is up 370% despite the fact the game won't be switched back online until late May 2024.
MultiVersus is due to relaunch on PS5 and PS4 on Tuesday, May 28, 2024 — yet, according to our exclusive data from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of GameInsights), a bunch of players are already booting up the game on their PlayStation consoles!

As of last week (that's the week ending Sunday, April 21, 2024), MultiVersus' player count jumped up by 377.60% on PS5 and PS4. That's enough of a player bump to land it in the #111 spot of our PlayStation Chart and contend with Fallout Shelter's recently revamped PS4 player count.
On Steam, I noticed that the 24 hour peak recently hit 180. People are getting hyped for it for the relaunch

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
New Blog
multiversus.com

MultiVersus Developer Series: Combat Refactor

Step into the fray of our MultiVerse, where every match is a wild jamboree of iconic characters throwing down in wonderfully weird ways. Pair Marvin the Martian and Arya Stark, or Velma with Batman — Get ready for a rollercoaster of fun and discover a universe of endless possibilities!
From seasoned vets to brand new players, the combat in MultiVersus needs to make sense for players of all skill levels. From a combat philosophy perspective, we always want to make sure MultiVersus combat rewards smart, well timed, calculated play in a fun, engaging and fluid way. During Open Beta, MultiVersus prioritized combat that was flexible and snappy, emphasizing the moment-to-moment combat encounters. We loved the fluidity of that combat, but we wanted to equally reward more strategic play without removing the fluidity. While our evolved combat prioritizes more strategic and "neutral" play, we feel that these changes for our launch still preserve the soul of MultiVersus combat while evolving it in a positive direction.

MultiVersus has a diverse group of characters with many different abilities, skills and playstyles. When we decided to rebuild our netcode from the ground up, it gave us the opportunity to rebuild our entire roster of characters in an overall effort to tune the cast to be both fun to play as and against. In short, when we launch, MultiVersus combat will be easy to pick up, but truly challenging to master. Let's get into the details.

Improving Clarity

There is a lot going on during a MultiVersus match, with flashy moves and explosions all over the place. During Open Beta it became clear that a number of players found it challenging to track the details of combat during matches, so we made a number of changes to improve the overall clarity of battle. While the fundamentals remain the same, we think you'll appreciate the tweaks we've incorporated to improve the flow of a match, making the moment-to-moment easier and clearer for players to observe.

You may have noticed that characters seem a bit bigger this time around, and you're not wrong. We think it's very important to be able to quickly react to what your opponents are up to and having larger characters really leads to improved readability. Our in-game camera is also more dynamic and will pan and zoom accordingly, depending on what is going on in-game. When you're fighting an opponent 1v1, the camera will zoom in to bring you closer to the action, but when combat moves to the wider parts of the map, you'll see the camera pull out to capture allthe mayhem. The dynamic camera does a fantastic job of keeping the game feeling snappy and fast, while improving readability so that you can better understand your opponents' actions.

Next, we added a set of animations that will not only improve the game visually but will also help you to identify exactly what your opponents are doing at all times. You'll now be able to see unique animations that showcase which state both your character and your opponent are in. Many of our updated animations not only help players read gameplay tactically, but also improve how visceral it feels. We want to make sure that your hits feel impactful and satisfying when you land an attack. We've also paired these animations with revamped sound effects that help to add to that visceral impact. On top of that, as we discussed in our last blog, the game's new netcode will improve both the clarity and accuracy of combat, leading to a much more consistent and reliable experience for you and your friends, even across the country.
New
SIZE_NEW.jpg

Old
SIZE_NEW.jpg

Dash Attack
A new dash attack has been added to all characters! Dash attack is an intuitive combat entry that can quickly close the distance between you and your opponent. After beginning your run animation, dash attack allows you to strike your opponent with a bit of extra forward velocity on your side. This addition gives players more flexibility and creative possibility as it can be used to start a combo or be weaved into the middle of combo strings. You also can input forward direction twice in quick succession to use your dash attack, enabling you to use it as both a quick attack, or a powerful combo ender. The dash attack speeds up combat in an organic way while adding greater complexity, mobility and player expression to your toolkit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPnou0rh1M

Parry Time
Parry has also been added to the game and it's kind of a big deal! Parry is a high skill mechanic that gives you a new defensive option in MultiVersus. When properly utilized, a player who parries will recover more quickly than the attacker and will have the opportunity to launch their own attack. This gives a tactical advantage, but it requires precise timing to pull off and if you miss that timing, you could be left in a vulnerable spot. One goal of ours is to keep combat moving and fluid, and a parry gives you a ton of defensive expression, while not slowing the pace of battle. There is a great risk/reward mechanic to attempting a parry – do you risk parrying an opponent's attack knowing the more precise timing could leave you exposed? We hope making these trade-offs during real time MultiVersus combat will add fun dimensions to how players can express themselves.

Character Kits
At launch, every character from our Open Beta period will receive kit tuning to improve their overall feel. Some characters will also receive all new abilities to replace previous moves, such as Harley's balloons. Digging a bit into the details, the hit volume, timing and placement of all hits has been adjusted for every single move. Now, no matter which character you pick, their moves feel much more precise and impactful. A lot of attention and care has gone into designing the MultiVersus character kits, and we're looking forward to you getting your hands on these reworked characters.
New
(Also, new Harley render in the new engine)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lsm_y5R4dE
Old

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iii9cIUM7M

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
New Blog
multiversus.com

MultiVersus Developer Series: Combat Refactor

Step into the fray of our MultiVerse, where every match is a wild jamboree of iconic characters throwing down in wonderfully weird ways. Pair Marvin the Martian and Arya Stark, or Velma with Batman — Get ready for a rollercoaster of fun and discover a universe of endless possibilities!

New
SIZE_NEW.jpg

Old
SIZE_NEW.jpg

Dash Attack

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPnou0rh1M

Parry Time

Character Kits

New
(Also, new Harley render in the new engine)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lsm_y5R4dE
Old

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iii9cIUM7M

It all looks like it could be interesting but it's hard to really parse out in a blog format like this and the examples are a little too isolated IMO. Would definitely be better to see everything in action, see if it's actually translated into a snappier experience or not.

maxresdefault.jpg

lol

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
It all looks like it could be interesting but it's hard to really parse out in a blog format like this and the examples are a little too isolated IMO. Would definitely be better to see everything in action, see if it's actually translated into a snappier experience or not.

maxresdefault.jpg

lol
Yea, I kinda agree with that, also lol

View: https://twitter.com/AJAX_HQ/status/1783561635178697084

Joined their discord server to check the reactions 🥳
Saw something funny?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

If they're shifting to Smash-style staling then that's a very good change. I got what they were going for with attack decay but the penalty was too steep (not to mention the sound effect used for it was just grating). Still having some punishment for spamming makes sense but sometimes you just wanna mash buttons and hopefully this makes it feel better to just mash buttons.

Also interesting that he refers to the dodge meter as "pips", which suggests they're shifting it from a straight meter to a countable resource. That should do a lot to limit the dodge spam and make things feel less defensive.

.....now why they wouldn't bring this up in their last blog I have no idea but here's hoping they got more gameplay changes in store.