• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You do understand that you are speaking about an able bodied, 35-year old woman, right? Like, a full fledged adult?

She stopped taking BIRTH CONTROL, holy fucking shit. Not an opiate. Not an anti-depressant. Not a benzo.

She didn't break up with him because she stopped taking birth control! Everyone here is speaking as if she just stopped a medication and had gone completely manic and decided to simply break up with him! I'm astonished. BIRTH CONTROL DOESN'T JUST SUDDENLY AND COMPLETELY SHIFT YOUR WHOLE PERSONALITY. It might increase or decrease sex drive but NOT EVERYTHING ELSE.

OP, take a hard look at yourself and the relationship and do not communicate with her until she engages on her own.
I have had birth control shift my entire personality and make me severely depressed so it can cause an issue - not on everyone , but it can cause major changes. I would say that usually I find after a couple of months with birth control, any change has usually settled but different people can react probably differently? It's definitely not something to assume that it is what the problem, and OP needs to listen to his gf, give her space and decide if he's willing to wait for her to decide and if he can accept that she may not want to be with him anymore

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely do not know your situation and cannot speak on the effects of contraceptive medicine especially in regards to women.

I will just say I have been in a similar situation before, where you wake up and suddenly you feel like you need to escape your relationship for a few days and spend some time just living without that other person in order to gain some perspective on your relationship and how it's making you feel, in a way that might be difficult to do if you're in the middle of it. Sometimes these doubts just creep up on you and you need to be able to process them without the pressures of every day maintenance of the relationship that's making you feel that way.

I would just say, let her have her space and just try to be understanding and empathetic. Give her some time until she's ready to talk, and listen listen listen. And make sure you speak on your side as well, how this is affecting you and how important she is to you. Don't be manipulative, but be honest.

Good luck OP. Sorry to hear that, 15 years is a long time for a relationship and it's really scary and traumatic to have the rug pulled out from under you like that. If things are really over, just try to be kind to yourself throughout this whole process.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
You're really hung up on the marriage thing.

Why can't somebody be committed to a relationship without getting married?

They can. But just like marriage, people can change their opinions over time.

Thing with out being married- there is not the extra layer to force people to work things out because they are not financial tied to each other. You literally can just walk out when ever you want. Like when you partner is going though some mental crisis.

Like it or not marriage does have legal benefits- allow people the right to be at the bedside and medical at a hospital, right over children, tax benefits, health insurance, family leave, and inheritance. There are the reason why people Fight to have the right to legally marry- because it allows you to have access to your partner at all levels.

In this- say the OP's partner got in a car crash. He legally can be denied by her parents from sitting at her bedside because he legally is not family.

I personally don't believe monogamous relationships are the only type of relationship human can have. But in this case, the OP seemingly wants to continue to be with his girlfriend for the rest of his life with his vague ideas of getting a bigger house together one day. So it is a valid question why they have not gotten married for the legal benefits it would give them. There are very good reason why gay people fight so hard to have the right to get married that straight people take for granted.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have had birth control shift my entire personality and make me severely depressed so it can cause an issue - not on everyone , but it can cause major changes. I would say that usually I find after a couple of months with birth control, any change has usually settled but different people can react probably differently? It's definitely not something to assume that it is what the problem, and OP needs to listen to his gf, give her space and decide if he's willing to wait for her to decide and if he can accept that she may not want to be with him anymore
Thanks for sharing this. I''m sitting next to someone right now who had a very strong reaction to coming off the pill that caused changes in their behaviour (very wild mood swings, depression, loss of interest in activities) and what they thought were a loss of feelings for their partner. While the I'm sure most people who take the pill don't have an extreme reaction when stopping, it does happen and can cause issues in relationships. They're sitting here right now saying this to me.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Thanks for sharing this. I''m sitting next to someone right now who had a very strong reaction to coming off the pill that caused changes in their behaviour (very wild mood swings, depression, loss of interest in activities) and what they thought were a loss of feelings for their partner. While the I'm sure most people who take the pill don't have an extreme reaction when stopping, it does happen and can cause issues in relationships. They're sitting here right now saying this to me.

Birth control might make you depressed. Getting off birth control might worsen PCOS symptoms/PMDD. But it is no reason to assume by all the people in this thread that the presence or absence of the pill is what broke up the relationship after months of already being off the pill. And it is certainly no way to talk about someone as if she had no will in her decisions just because she came off the pill, as people have been doing in this thread.

Because also, if your relationship hangs on whether she is taking BC or not, then.. Well. The pill might've affected or not, but there's more factors than that.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
OP you say you've been together since you were 19/20 that's basically your entire 20s, I will say that when people hit 30 they change a lot, things they're into and even people.

Maybe that hit her and she's been brewing over what she wants to do for a while, as others have said this decision has probably been on her mind for a while...

A message to her not about why she's stepped away but you telling that you'll respect her space and time to think things over would be best.

Trying to find out answers atm could backfire.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
15 year! Damn thats a long time.
Sorry op, but time is what you need.

Hit the gym
Go on a long hike
Travel the world
Game

Just keep your mind busy

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Birth control might make you depressed. Getting off birth control might worsen PCOS symptoms/PMDD. But it is no reason to assume by all the people in this thread that the presence or absence of the pill is what broke up the relationship after months of already being off the pill. And it is certainly no way to talk about someone as if she had no will in her decisions just because she came off the pill, as people have been doing in this thread.

Because also, if your relationship hangs on whether she is taking BC or not, then.. Well. The pill might've affected or not, but there's more factors than that.
And this is what happened to my friend. The changes they experienced lasted for half a year. They were not on other medication, and they experienced this twice in their lives (first time not as severe, but the same changes). I haven't read the entire thread, so if people are saying "it's definitely this" they shouldn't, but it /could/ be a factor.

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been happening more often recently?
Yes, over Christmas it happened quite frequently as there were a lot of parties and dos. I don't usually mind but just got annoyed about it that time, which wasn't a rational reaction I know, but these things happen. She could've met someone I guess - if that's the case, so be it.

15 year! Damn thats a long time.
Sorry op, but time is what you need.

Hit the gym
Go on a long hike
Travel the world
Game

Just keep your mind busy
I'm fortunate that I've been built up some savings so that's what I might do first. 6 months in Australia sounds good. I work freelance so I could take work with me for a bit.

And this is what happened to my friend. The changes they experienced lasted for half a year. They were not on other medication, and they experienced this twice in their lives (first time not as severe, but the same changes). I haven't read the entire thread, so if people are saying "it's definitely this" they shouldn't, but it /could/ be a factor.
She'd been on the pill for 17 years so it must be a massive change. I wish there was more awareness about it so I could have prepared and offered support. I wasn't aware of these things at all.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
And you would be ignoring the possible real side effect she could be having because she is going off of the pill.

Are you saying you would drop a partner because medical condition/emergency? Because that does not sound mature either. Being in a true relationship- you need to be able to endure (within reason) when one becomes unstable mentally and physically.

I acknowledged the possible changes due to birth control in my original replay, but admittedly didn't restate it in the later posts. He should definitely give her some space and time to think and see if things change with more time. But within reason as he shouldn't wait around for ages hoping she comes back of course.

In my experience once someone has left/separated it rarely works out if they get back together again—exceptions of course. But stable people don't leave until they're done with a relationship as it takes a lot to get to the point of walking away from a long relationship. My wife and some exes had lots of ups and downs, shitty moods and said some awful things when getting on and off birth control. None ever left or threatened to leave as they had the maturity to catch themselves and know they needed time for hormones etc. to settle out to decide if things they were feeling remained (i.e. to tell if the BC had been suppressing things and causing them to ignore real problems or changes after getting off had their emotions out of whack and over-reacting to things).

And of course in relationships you have to endure ups and down, be it health or mental health issues that have clear causes. But it has limits and lots of people who aren't health mentally end up in relationships with other people who also aren't healthy and things understandably don't work out. And there's limits on how long and how hard someone should endure before a relationship becomes not worth it anymore.

The bigger problem is people tend to get in relationships when either or both of them aren't healthy and mentally and emotionally stable. That's a recipe for co-dependency at best and a toxic relationship at worst. And both tend to be compounded by such people not having close friend networks to turn to for advice and support in many cases (and seeking advice from randos online).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
OP,

You mentioned she went off contraceptive pills, Is she thinking that she wants to start a family? Maybe that is on her mind? Have you guys talked about children?

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
OP,

You mentioned she went off contraceptive pills, Is she thinking that she wants to start a family? Maybe that is on her mind? Have you guys talked about children?
It could be, but she didn't say. She just said she feels totally different about sex after coming off it. She was never that interested before.

We didn't think we wanted kids but I would've been open to the idea if she felt that strongly about.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It could be, but she didn't say. She just said she feels totally different about sex after coming off it. She was never that interested before.

We didn't think we wanted kids but I would've been open to the idea if she felt that strongly about.

As has been noted, 35 is the age where you are considered a Geriatric/High Risk Pregnancy. Shes been with you for almost all of her adult life, I would definitely have that discussion if she is open to it (Children). No matter what you do, Be supportive, she is going through a lot of changes (you mentioned she was not really interested in sex, but now is really into it).

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
As has been noted, 35 is the age where you are considered a Geriatric/High Risk Pregnancy. Shes been with you for almost all of her adult life, I would definitely have that discussion if she is open to it (Children). No matter what you do, Be supportive, she is going through a lot of changes (you mentioned she was not really interested in sex, but now is really into it).
Thanks. Yeah the biological clock is ticking I guess. And I'll try to be supportive if she ever talks to me again lol.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Yes, I know how it works. I'm a woman, I take BC, many friends who take it for the same reason as his ex-GF, etc.

It has been months since she stopped being on the pill. Her reason for the pill wasn't anything that had to do with opiates (opiates aren't recommended long term for PCOS, endometriosis or anything related to obgyn regarding uterine and muscular cramps), benzos or antidepressants (she might've had medication for her anxiety if she had anxiety, but I do not know). She took BC to "manage her periods". Pills do almost *everything* regarding bad periods, and that's why she was on them. She needs a gyno to make her understand that TikTok isn't a good source of information for the possible side effects of meds.

Birth control isn't heroin. Her "normal state" was having the shittiest periods whenever they came, as many women do. The birth control doesn't change your taste from podcasts to music.

As a women myself, we seem to be on the same page- she needs to talk to her gyno- or better yet a different gyno.

Not every gyno does what is best for their patients (like myself) and still give out outdated, misogynistic advice has to how to deal with horrible periods. If I only had my current gyno and hysterectomy 30 years ago, I would have had a better life.

You are correct- withdrawl is a poor term for what I was trying to get across. My normal state was terrible painful and heavily affect moods. Thing was, my moods were just not tied to my periods- I did need some happy pills to help me not be depressed. My old gyno didn't even entertain the fact I never wanted kids (oh, you will change your mind). My new gyno, looking at my history of fibriod cyst was floored nobody offered help sooner.

The birth control may have been masking a deeper mental problem. Now that she is normal, she may be coping with that.

Or it could be something complete else. I just arm chairing like anyone else in these threads.

Last edited:

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
She just said she feels totally different about sex after coming off it. She was never that interested before.

Not what you want to hear, but that statement is a red flag for the furture of the relationship for me. Sounds like you guys got together at a young age so I imagine she didn't have many other sex partners. And you note she was on BC a long time and had low or no sex drive and that it's been through the roof since she got off.

She could just be wanting or feeling like she missed the years of sexual exploration most people have that she didn't if she was on BC and had little to no drive through her 20s and spent them and her early 30s in one relationship. Someone with a low libido likely also prioritizes different things in choosing a partner than one with a high libido (i.e. physical attraction not a big deal if someone doesn't care about sex much, vs. someone with a high drive that prioritizes attraction more).

Doesn't mean some time away can make her reconsider those things and decide she'd can explore sexuality with you and so on. But that does make more sense than her mood etc. still being way out of whack after months of being off the BC. That could be the issue, but at least one woman has posted that it's rate to have that dramatic an impact on emotions, decision making etc. after months.

So it could be finally having a high libido that's creating doubts for her about whether staying in, I assume given age and length of relationship, the one long term relationship she's had during her adult life. I'd be less optimistic about a change of heart that's positive for your future together if that's the case vs. it just be emotions out of whack or having changed mind about marriage or kids and being afraid to bring it up to you for some reason etc.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
TikTok videos, would you believe, saying how harmful the pill can be. She used to suffer from anxiety a lot and felt better after coming off the pill. There's been so many little changes, I assume her body and hormones are adjusting but I don't know if it's linked to what's transpired in walking away from the relationship.

I've seen a fair bit of propaganda around contraceptives on TikTok lately. My GF even saw one video of very composed and seemingly calm and educated white individuals in what looked like an interview talking about how "many people" have talked about contraceptives making women have bisexual feelings, and how those feelings go away once they're off the pill. Nothing cited, of course.

I'm very, extremely confident in all of that being propaganda given the current right wing push to turn women into baby factories.

To your specific plight right now...I'm sorry. That really sucks, but it looks like from what I've seen you're handling it as respectfully and as well as you're able.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
As a women myself, we seem to be on the same page- she needs to talk to her gyno- or better yet a different gyno.

Not every gyno does what is best for their patients (like myself) and still give out outdated, misogynistic advice has to how to deal with horrible periods. If I only had my current gyno and hysterectomy 30 years ago, I would have had a better life.

You are correct- withdrawl is a poor term for what I was trying to get across. My normal state was terrible painful and heavily affect moods. Thing was, my moods were just not tied to my periods- I did need some happy pills to help me not be depressed. My old gyno didn't even entertain the fact I never wanted kids (oh, you will change your mind). My new gyno, looking at my history of fibriod cyst was floored nobody offered help sooner.

The birth control may have been masking a deeper mental problem. Now that she is normal, she may be coping with that.

Or it could be something complete else. I just arm chairing like anyone else in these threads.

Absolutely agreed on gynos sometimes (too many, in fact) not doing the best for their patients. And big agree about the hysterectomy, that's something I'm interested in and afraid of asking about because I feel like they are gonna tell me that "you don't need one! Besides you are too young".

I imagine then if you talked about fibroid cysts you had some kind of endometriosis. And yeah, I'm not saying the BC totally didn't have an effect: as I said it does affect on moods (specially if you are someone with painful periods like many of us, the thought of being like this every 3-4 weeks until menopause is very depressing), and with what OP said about anxiety I do think she might need (or she might not needed it anymore) therapist etc.

But what I'm leaning into is what dmaul1114 just said since I was in a very similar relationship: one that was very long and began very young. And after so much time I felt inadequate in a way, and I can see (that's why I mentioned other factors) that getting off the pill, much bigger sex drive, long relationship that began very young, TikTok propaganda (which imo is a big factor here) towards people that have uteruses regarding getting off medications, and going more out with coworkers.. I don't know. I feel like she might've come to a point where she thought "I need a complete change of surroundings" I guess.

I took issue with how some people were speaking about the gal, as in "Yeah yeah man I'm sorry I've heard your gf/wife/so going off the birth control pill can wreck your life" that kind of "ohh she went off her meds and did smth crazy" tone which I'm not into - and some people used. But I also don't want to go more deep into it because at the end that person isn't here, we're not really doctors and it feels kind of icky to talk about the possible medical history of someone who cannot defend? argue for? themselves.

I think this might have to do a lot with the same problem Tiktok and other places have regarding mental health self-diagnosis (which is a whole different thing and I can understand because the access to therapists is so limited, but still) or content regarding that kind of stuff. "Stop taking this pill because ..." and shit like that.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yes it's pretty crazy when you see someone every day for 15 years and then that's it. I guess I should think harder about the state of the relationship and what I want as well. Thanks.

My former step mother decided one morning she was going to leave my dad after 29 years. They had fought and had even separated once but always realized they loved each other too much and couldn't imagine a life without each other. She went to her 30th HS reunion, hung out with people she hadn't seen since her teens and came home the next day and announced she was leaving him permanently. She saw that she could have a life without him and it opened a ton of doors. He was shocked, things had been decent for almost 10 years and they were going to counseling for those things that weren't.

He still can't get over it. It happened so fast and instantaneously that I don't think he has yet to fully accept it and it's been 10 years now.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Absolutely agreed on gynos sometimes (too many, in fact) not doing the best for their patients. And big agree about the hysterectomy, that's something I'm interested in and afraid of asking about because I feel like they are gonna tell me that "you don't need one! Besides you are too young".

That's definitely a well founded concern. My wife, I I noted was in and off BC if various types for years to manage periods, then to try to stop having them etc.

Despite absolutely never wanting kids, no ONGYN every gave her other options until she read somewhere about ablation. Her insurance at the time wouldn't cover it as it was deemed not medically necessary (she want diagnosed with and endometriosis etc). But she was changing jobs and insurance and her doc recommended a women's clinic they was more liberal for doing those and hysterectomies for bad periods etc. Wife was 38 at that time.

The doc there wanted to do a partial hysterectomy, but my wife opted for the ablation first to go with the less invasive option and not wanting to miss work and workouts for very long. They seems to have mostly worked as she'd had no periods for nearly a year, but did have some cramps and bleeding the other day for the first time. So she will likely go back as the doc said a second ablation is sometimes needed or sometimes only the hysterectomy will stop periods for good.

Point being, definitely ask and don't be afraid to keep trying doctors until you find one. Do some searches online and find ones that people say are willing to do those kind of things for younger, childless women etc.

Even as a guy I couldn't find a doctor to do a vasectomy in my late 20s and still had to try a couple before finally getting one at 34.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who does work out regularly, if I were having relationship issues what would this tell me? Hit the gym harder?
lmao
I always felt "hit the gym" was a thought-terminating cliché myself, honestly.

She's gone to her parents to figure things out away from you. You have to respect that. Some people will say no contact whatsoever, but I do think that's extreme after 15 years together. You don't need gestures. You don't need to perform. You don't need to act out of the ordinary. Just be calm and genuine and treat her like a normal person that you happen to love. Don't just break off contact, because that might tell her you don't care at all and lead to one or both of you ghosting the other and never speaking again. Which after 15 years of the closest friendship people can have - is silly. Just message and say y'know - I still love you, but if you need space - I don't wanna be calling you or in your messages and making this worse. We've been together so long, maybe we didn't talk enough about how we really felt, and I'm sorry - but I want you to know we can talk anytime, you know where I am - I just want you to be ok, I want you to be happy etc.
Agreed, this is the best advice in the thread.

Sounds like a classic case of I'm ready to settle down and have kids but you're not. 15 years and you haven't proposed? There's part of your problem right there.
Yeah, there is this. After 15 years you have not committed- why do you expect she would stay around? There is no future there- you are just two roomates with benefits. And the clock is ticking for her if she wants a family.
15 years and still just a girlfriend? Put a ring on her man. What you waiting for?
As an unmarried person who has been in a committed relationship for over two decades I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this nonsense. Especially since the OP quite clearly explained why they were not married and it's a perfectly valid reason.

Also get out of here with the suggestion marriage is the only true form of commitment. "just two roomates with benefits" is an incredibly reductive way to describe an entirely common and healthy form of committed relationship.
For real!

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
My former step mother decided one morning she was going to leave my dad after 29 years. They had fought and had even separated once but always realized they loved each other too much and couldn't imagine a life without each other. She went to her 30th HS reunion, hung out with people she hadn't seen since her teens and came home the next day and announced she was leaving him permanently. She saw that she could have a life without him and it opened a ton of doors. He was shocked, things had been decent for almost 10 years and they were going to counseling for those things that weren't.

He still can't get over it. It happened so fast and instantaneously that I don't think he has yet to fully accept it and it's been 10 years now.
Ugh, this hurts me to read. This whole thread hurts to read, honestly.

Due to a kind of crappy childhood (don't we all have one?), I've always struggled with abandonment issues. When my ex and I split up after being together for 9 years, it really really messed me up. I think for a solid 6 months after the split, I was just an absolute mess of a person. I tried to do the gym thing, I tried to hang out with more people and be social, and I checked off every single box in the "what do I do now?" playbook, but it never really helped. I found myself crying in the bathroom at work, lost a ton of weight because food just didn't seem easy to eat, and would even do stupid stuff like reaching out to people I hadn't talked to in many years just because I was grasping for any kind of connection. It wasn't so much that I was dependent on the person I was in a relationship with so much as it was that I was dependent on "somebody."

Anyhow, long sob story short: After some therapy and a move away from a city that was truly toxic for me, I am now in a happy relationship of 7 years and I've really made an effort to embrace what it is to be independent in a committed relationship. The fear of going back to that dark place is and will always be there but I think having gone through it once before has at least taught me how to navigate the situation if it happens again.

I guess my advice here for the OP is: Learn to embrace your autonomy rather than fear it. Moreover, if you do get back with your partner you should both explore what it means to be independent while in a committed relationship be it through therapy or just making a bigger effort to spend time alone. I wish you the best of luck and sending a big internet hug your way.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
Lot of assumptions there. It takes 2 to want kid and marriage. We don't know if he wanted to get married and she didn't, vice versa, whether she or they want kids (she'd been on BC until recently so they weren't trying).

Not everyone wants kids or gives a shit about marriage. And in the OP they said they don't believe in marriage and haven't decided on kids yet.

I'm pretty sure our responses are based on just experience and living life I general.
Did you read the original post in entirety? He literally says "We never got engaged as we both didn't really believe in marriage as an institution. Kids are/were a possibility but not yet." right in the first post.
Lot of assumptions there. It takes 2 to want kid and marriage. We don't know if he wanted to get married and she didn't, vice versa, whether she or
lmao
I always felt "hit the gym" was a thought-terminating cliché myself, honestly.

Agreed, this is the best advice in the thread.

As an unmarried person who has been in a committed relationship for over two decades I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this nonsense. Especially since the OP quite clearly explained why they were not married and it's a perfectly valid reason.

For real!

You talk as if we've made some sort of inflammatory judgement. Most women want to get married and have kids. You finding someone that doesn't does not make my statement incorrect.

What she said at the beginning of the relationship might not be how she feels 15 years later. Women don't leave a 15 year relationship over a small argument.

I mean this really isn't that complicated. Either she wanted more from him and he wasn't able to commit or she was just sick of his ass and was ready to move on and used that argument as a means to an end.
Either way he will get over it.

Ridiculing purple for giving a logical response to these events based off their own possible dealings with women seems like wasted energy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure our responses are based on just experience and living life I general.

You talk as if we've made some sort of inflammatory judgement. Most women want to get married and have kids. You finding someone that doesn't does not make my statement incorrect.

What she said at the beginning of the relationship might not be how she feels 15 years later. Women don't leave a 15 year relationship over a small argument.

I mean this really isn't that complicated. Either she wanted more from him and he wasn't able to commit or she was just sick of his ass and was ready to move on and used that argument as a means to an end.

Ridiculing purple for giving a logical response to these events based off their own possible dealings with women seems like wasted energy.
"Sounds like a classic case of" was a poor way to word it and the reaponses were justified. It doesn't sound like that at all, it /could/ be a factor. Speaking from experience is good, but projections and declarations like that never help. We simply have no way of knowing, so it doean't "sound" like anything.

"15 years and not proposed. That's part of your problem there" is also nonsense.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

This is an exceptionally shitty take.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm going to be honest, and it may come across as a bit harsh, but this is not the first time your GF has mulled leaving you, and for whatever reason she did decide to give herself space, that was likely the breaking point for her and not some radical change in behavior.

You truly and honestly need to be introspective and ask yourself if what you want out of this relationship is still the same thing she wants. Because my read of this situation is that she is, and likely has been, unhappy for a time much longer than her supposed behavioral change.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
I mean.. if she's letting TikTok videos influence her healthcare choices...
I'm so sick of this garbage.

OP be prepared for the best or worst. If she comes back see what you BOTH can do to fix it. If she doesn't come back, focus on you. Maybe it was time to move on and she was able to make the first move.

I hate to be that guy but I've been where you are. My ex wife just walked away back in 2018. Never came back (but I found out she was cheating) so I had to better myself.

I want you to take some time and think about everything that has transpired.

Good luck.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

It's hilarious that you wrote this as if I am a man speaking about my experience with women, and not, you know, an actual woman.

You are literally mansplaining women to... a woman.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, over Christmas it happened quite frequently as there were a lot of parties and dos. I don't usually mind but just got annoyed about it that time, which wasn't a rational reaction I know, but these things happen. She could've met someone I guess - if that's the case, so be it.

I'm fortunate that I've been built up some savings so that's what I might do first. 6 months in Australia sounds good. I work freelance so I could take work with me for a bit.

She'd been on the pill for 17 years so it must be a massive change. I wish there was more awareness about it so I could have prepared and offered support. I wasn't aware of these things at all.
I'm not saying it is this, it can happen but that doesn't mean it was the cause here. It could very well be that she has been thinking about this for a while, it could be many different things.

What I wanted to communicate is that no one here knows but her. Anyone ITT saying "it is definitely this/definitely not this" has no idea either. Please don't take anyone claiming these things too seriously.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I took issue with how some people were speaking about the gal, as in "Yeah yeah man I'm sorry I've heard your gf/wife/so going off the birth control pill can wreck your life" that kind of "ohh she went off her meds and did smth crazy" tone which I'm not into - and some people used.

Yeah, I get that. I felt we were talking past each other, just using different terms. I do see why you were offended- just wanted to be clear I agree with you on both front.

I only latched on the BC, because her choice to go off it seems to be part of a larger discussion both she and the OP have been avoiding- what they both currently see their future together should be or not be.

I personally find some of these threads lean too hard on just drop her- she obviously is sleeping with someone else. People saying they want committed relationships but ready to drop that commitment at the slightest discomfort. I don't feel the OP is vilifying her or he is being one himself. I just wanted to give the OP some different points of view.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
User Banned (3 months): Misogyny across a series of posts, doubling down on mansplaining to a user.
It's hilarious that you wrote this as if I am a man speaking about my experience with women, and not, you know, an actual woman.

You are literally mansplaining women to... a woman.

I mean how was I supposed to know you were a woman, and that admission doesn't really invalidate what I said.

If you asked 50 single women with no kids would they like to have be married and have kids one day a majority would say yes. That's all I'm saying.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how was I supposed to know you were a woman, and that admission doesn't really invalidate what I said.

If you asked 50 single women with no kids would they like to have be married and have kids one day a majority would say yes. That's all I'm saying.
The point is the assumptions and absolute statements are not productive. Surely uou can understand that.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
This is an entirely different situation but if there was one thing I regret from getting out of a long relationship and being left was after I was starting to get over her after about a year to let her come back into my life and miss me and then having her rebreak my heart again and lead me on. The reasons for breakup didn't change so I should have known but I was letting my heart lead. Although it taught me a lot and helped me for the future…

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I've really made an effort to embrace what it is to be independent in a committed relationship.

100% a major key to healthy relationships right there. Doesn't guarantee one will work out, but they're much better positioned if both people were happy alone and had their shit together and weren't lacking anything other than a partner. Makes it a lot easier to ride out the ups and downs of life and relationships vs. people who end up co-dependent and/or bring a ton of individual baggage and issues they haven't properly dealt with into the relationship from the start.

End of the day, another person can add to our happiness, but they aren't responsible for it. Having that mindset both makes relationships less likely to end up co-dependent, makes it easier to take fair stock of relationships and not cling to ones that aren't working and aren't going to, and makes break ups a bit easier to get over as your happiness, worth etc. isn't totally wrapped up in one person.

I'm going to be honest, and it may come across as a bit harsh, but this is not the first time your GF has mulled leaving you, and for whatever reason she did decide to give herself space, that was likely the breaking point for her and not some radical change in behavior.

You truly and honestly need to be introspective and ask yourself if what you want out of this relationship is still the same thing she wants. Because my read of this situation is that she is, and likely has been, unhappy for a time much longer than her supposed behavioral change.

For sure. Space is needed and some hard talks. Though if she hadn't communicated whatever doubts, concerns she's had over time--if she has indeed had them and they led up to this--that's on her and not a good sign of emotional maturity. Of course, we only have one side of the story there and she may have attempted to communicate things and just wasn't heard, or wanted changes not delivered upon etc. which is a different story.

That said, it also could be a newer thing. He states she had little to no interest in sex over their time together until recently and finally getting off birth control and her libdo going through the roof. That's major change from having pretty much no interest in sex through her 20s to mid 30s to having a ton of interest in sex. So that could cause a lot of thinking about what she wants going forward as it's a whole side of her self she's never explored that's recently emerged.

This is an entirely different situation but if there was one thing I regret from getting out of a long relationship and being left was after I was starting to get over her after about a year to let her come back into my life and miss me and then having her rebreak my heart again and lead me on. The reasons for breakup didn't change so I should have known but I was letting my heart lead. Although it taught me a lot and helped me for the future…

Yeah, had a similar experience with my first long term relationship. While there's exceptions to everything, if a partner breaks up with you or vice versa it's usually best to just make that permanent unless there was a very clear reason for the break up that was fixable and got fixed, anyway.

Doesn't apply here as his GF hasn't broken up yet and asked for time and space. OP should give her that for as long as he's willing to wait (with in reason of course). If she ends things, or he decides he isn't willing to wait any longer, time to move on for good IMO.

Last edited:

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Thing with out being married- there is not the extra layer to force people to work things out because they are not financial tied to each other. You literally can just walk out when ever you want. Like when you partner is going though some mental crisis.

Like it or not marriage does have legal benefits[...]

Depending on where OP and his partner live there may be laws around common law relationships and the aftermath of their dissolution; there are where I live and is the primary reason that my partner and I (20+years) are comfortable not bothering with marriage. If we lived in the US, we would be married— to gain access to those legal protections.

I mean how was I supposed to know you were a woman

You can click/tap on people's names and sometimes it tells you. In this case it would've.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I mean how was I supposed to know you were a woman,
Holy shit dude. Not only does my profile say "gender: female", but even just writing a post assuming that someone is male and going from there is some peak "male as default" bullshit. Like, ok we can all be guilty of it sometimes, but the least you can do after being corrected is... I dunno, apologize, instead of doubling down on your mansplaining bullshit.

Except the marriage aspect was ALREADY ADDRESSED IN THE OP but you smugly went "15 years and you haven't proposed? There's part of your problem right there.", and you based this on nothing more than sexist generalizations about what you think women want.

But keep digging, I suppose.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
All in all, I think these relationship threads could be more productive if people just tailored their advice based on what the OP communicates the issues to be, or at least what they say in the OP, as opposed to projecting onto the OP what you think the problem is.

It happens in this thread and countless others, this habit of looking past what the OP's actually saying in order to diagnose what the problem "really" is. And it leads to a lot of assumptions.

I dunno, just something to think about as I head to the gym.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
You do understand that you are speaking about an able bodied, 35-year old woman, right? Like, a full fledged adult?

She stopped taking BIRTH CONTROL, holy fucking shit. Not an opiate. Not an anti-depressant. Not a benzo.

She didn't break up with him because she stopped taking birth control! Everyone here is speaking as if she just stopped a medication and had gone completely manic and decided to simply break up with him! I'm astonished. BIRTH CONTROL DOESN'T JUST SUDDENLY AND COMPLETELY SHIFT YOUR WHOLE PERSONALITY. It might increase or decrease sex drive but NOT EVERYTHING ELSE.

OP, take a hard look at yourself and the relationship and do not communicate with her until she engages on her own.
Thank you!

Felt weird seeing countless people reduce a fully grown adult into someone who would make such a drastic life change off of something so minor.

I echo everyone else OP, get some time out of your flat, try to just keep your feet moving and maybe go check out some things in town you always wanted to but never got around to.

I'm not sure if the gym is per se the right answer, but I think you just need to get out of your flat where it can trigger your emotions and into some other meditative space unrelated to your relationship to reflect or improve.

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017

She wanted a lot more sex, which I probably wasn't quick enough to act on properly. But it was literally 3 weeks ago she said something. I needed some time to adjust too man, it's just crazy that she couldn't give me more time to get my head around things.

I'm not saying it is this, it can happen but that doesn't mean it was the cause here. It could very well be that she has been thinking about this for a while, it could be many different things.

What I wanted to communicate is that no one here knows but her. Anyone ITT saying "it is definitely this/definitely not this" has no idea either. Please don't take anyone claiming these things too seriously.
That's probably it tbh. It was there under the surface but the last few months have brought it out and she feels different now. Personally, I think it's over now, she wouldn't have done this for so long if there was something to salvage.

Jun 10, 2018
She wanted a lot more sex, which I probably wasn't quick enough to act on properly. But it was literally 3 weeks ago she said something. I needed some time to adjust too man, it's just crazy that she couldn't give me more time to get my head around things.

That's probably it tbh. It was there under the surface but the last few months have brought it out and she feels different now. Personally, I think it's over now, she wouldn't have done this for so long if there was something to salvage.
So by this, you mean she had made behavioral and/or verbal cues to her dissatisfaction with the relationship before? Like, how did she hint at this to where even you admit this "sudden" flip in how she has acted towards you was actually bubbling under the surface prior to?

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Is it possible, she's having a quarterish life crisis? Like she's been in a relationship with OP for 15 years so at 19-20 years, it's pretty young to be with someone and never really having a chance to live life being on your own.

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
So by this, you mean she had made behavioral and/or verbal cues to her dissatisfaction with the relationship before? Like, how did she hint at this to where even you admit this "sudden" flip in how she has acted towards you was actually bubbling under the surface prior to?
Just before she left she said she hadn't been happy for a few months and didn't know if the relationship was right anymore. She hadn't said anything to me before, so that was the first time I was aware that there was something wrong.

Is it possible, she's having a quarterish life crisis? Like she's been in a relationship with OP for 15 years so at 19-20 years, it's pretty young to be with someone and never really having a chance to live life being on your own.
Could be. Sucks for me lol.

Jun 10, 2018
Just before she left she said she hadn't been happy for a few months and didn't know if the relationship was right anymore. She hadn't said anything to me before, so that was the first time I was aware that there was something wrong.

Could be. Sucks for me lol.
If that's the case then I stand by what I asserted earlier that she has likely been feeling this way for a lot longer than when she first voiced her dissatisfaction to you, and did the emotionally immature thing of wallowing in unhappiness just to keep the relationship alive.

But that's what those lacking in dating experience tend to do - keep quiet about things because a miserable peace (for her) is better than a break-up. If she had been honest with herself and you a lot sooner you would have at least started the healing phase by now.

OP
OP
zuf

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then I stand by what I asserted earlier that she has likely been feeling this way for a lot longer than when she first voiced her dissatisfaction to you, and did the emotionally immature thing of wallowing in unhappiness just to keep the relationship alive.

But that's what those lacking in dating experience tend to do - keep quiet about things because a miserable peace (for her) is better than a break-up. If she had been honest with herself and you a lot sooner you would have at least started the healing phase by now.
That's likely the case, how shit. I really wish this had happened 10 years ago, would have been better for everyone.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
That's likely the case, how shit. I really wish this had happened 10 years ago, would have been better for everyone.

If it is the case, then you really have not been a couple for awhile. You were coasting on what you wanted your relationship to be with without making an effort on your side to check if your partner was still lock step with you.

Communication goes both ways. In this case, you stayed because you were comfortable with the status quo, she stayed out of fear of the unknown without either of you working towards keeping a health line a communication going. Yeah, she may have waited to long to express her real feeling, but that doesn't excuse you from never asking how the relationship is doing. Not noticing anything wrong with her show how out of sync you two have been for awhile.