• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Boy?

• Deku

Votes: 250 41.7%
  • All Might

Votes: 179 29.9%
  • Bakugou

Votes: 65 10.9%
  • Kirishima

Votes: 46 7.7%
  • Other (Type in comments)

Votes: 59 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Eri being introduced as a long term character and being on the hero's side is problematic. She is so powerful and the hero side is already massively stacked. The villain alliance would already get bodied by class 1-A(+B+pro heroes+Wind guy?), with Eri healing and Deku 100% the villain alliance doesn't stand a chance in hell without AFO.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
lol this is like the only thing i comment about

mirio's quirk can be restored then, chisaki just confirmed it

e: there have been some good fights this arc. Mirio v Chisaki was cool.

Regarding Deku v Chisaki though, the biggest problem for me is that he is drawing the action scenes in a way that i cant really read the panels and discern whats happening

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Super Saiyan Deku won't be a regular thing 'cus this dude would instantly fuck up any future villains, and if he couldn't, then we'd have some Dragonball Z dynamic going on where only Deku can do anything and all the other heroes become useless.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i think that eri will probably be taken in by someone to help her learn how to control her powers

i don't think we'll see her again for a long time after this arc

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
This arc was pretty fantastic for most of the time, it's only the raid where things started to get a bit... off.

This arc had:
  • That one chapter from Twice's perspective
  • Introduction of the Big 3
  • Overhaul vs. Villain Alliance
  • Deku/Mirio/Nighteye/All Might
  • Encounter with Overhaul and Eri
  • Dragon Lady
  • Red Riot and Ochako/Nejire/Tsuyo fights
It got messy once the raid against Overhaul started. It still had individually great moments, but they just didn't quite mesh that well.
Suneater, Red Riot and Mirio fights were awesome. Villain Alliance shenanigans in the back are cool. 100% was hype.
The big problems for me were that the pacing and structuring of the fights inside of the panel were awkward. Partly because Horikoshi wasn't in top form (which means the paneling and art weren't up to the usual quality, some fights were really hard to follow) and partly because he probably wasn't used to handle such a big cast simultaneously and that also showed. Girl's side was also super disappointing.

I think this is something that could be vastly better in the anime if they restructure things a bit.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The anime already show they will restructure if necessary with Exams so I've no doubt they will do the same and hopefully smooth some stuff

And considering Bones seem to like Froppy they may give the girls more time lol

It will at least be easier to follow

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
The drama surrounding Mirio/Deku/Nighteye/All Might is incredibly entertaining. I even think that the relationship between the Villian Alliance and Overhaul is interesting. The concept of the yakuza erasing quirks with a serum is a super amazing setup for an arc. Deku/Mirio feeling bad about not saving Eri immediately and how that ties into the All Might/Night Eye feud is fantastic. Motherfucking Red Riot.

But the actual plot, the literal events that are unfolding, just aren't super engaging. The author's health certainly hasn't helped. This arc should work, on paper, but it's kinda all over the place.
All of this. Exactly how I've felt and why I've had trouble outright disliking this arc. The pieces are so good, but not put together in the best way.
Motherfucking Red Riot.
And again, for reasons.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A bit late, but now I'm back in the fray too!

Just in time for an incredibly hype chapter! This gotta be Dekus public debut, I mean the chapter even emphasized that there are civilians present!

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm guessing Super Saiyan Deku won't be a regular thing 'cus this dude would instantly fuck up any future villains, and if he couldn't, then we'd have some Dragonball Z dynamic going on where only Deku can do anything and all the other heroes become useless.

Yeah, this was literally a one time thing because Eri was able to by pass Deku instantly fucking up his body. Given how traumatizing her life has been, I don't see her being used in this way again either.

I know some people had a lot of reservations for how this was handled, but I personally liked it. In a way, it was like karma was paying Deku back for his earlier heroism and attempt to save Eri. It's been a reoccuring theme more or less about how his brand of heroism also inspires those around him, so it was interesting to see it have the same effect on Eri.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Well Deku will more then likely eventually get stronger then what we're seeing here. So we're somewhat seeing the future.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is clearly a sneak peak of Deku with full power over his whole body, but honestly its clear he doesn't know how to use it creatively yet (All he is doing is the SkyWalk Smash), and he still has to take care of Eri.

By the time he actually controls 100%, he will have his own experience and fighting style down, making something new.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Eri will likely be taken to live somewhere safe where she can be a normal girl and learn to use her powers safely. Heck it could be a good excuse to bring Deku's mom back into focus. There not gonna drag her on missions just to be a battery for Deku that's just this fight cause of how the situation played out.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Deku would ever want that either. As soon as this threat to Eri is neutralized she should be taken out of the fray entirely.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, that's also possible. I don't want that to happen because 1) Please let Eri be safe and happy, and 2) I do think her power needs to be removed from the narrative.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, leave Eri alone. She can be important in the future, but at least give her a few moments of happiness lol. Another problem with the VA kidnapping Eri is we won't be able to make a clean break from this arc and move onto other things. What are they gonna do, go back to high school hijinks while they're aware that she's in the hands of villains?

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I actually don't think the VA would be mean to her though...

I think its the best route because the VA is like a wildcard in this arc. If they kidnap Eri, that would screw over the heroes and the yakuza. It's the best move they can pull.
I'd imagine that it would prevent Eri from being irrelevant and give the VA more potential for development.

Oct 25, 2017
Some good art from the new Volume
DNJgvLkU8AAACN1.jpg

Nice KiriMido.

Though midoriya hands so huge.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there will be a bonus chapter in the future with Eraserhead being Eri's mentor. Her powers aren't active unless she's touching someone as far as I can remember, so she's not completely op.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Overhaul is done, good riddance. Overall I think this arc had some of the best moments in the series mixed with some bad things, but I think it ranks nicely in the middles, not as low as license or festival arcs but not as high as the stain or camp arcs.

I am not sure why people are confused about his dragon form, that is just rocks people, even in this chapter you can clearly see that. I know some people dislike this arc but some complaints are really strange.
I don't know how you manage to make 100% Deku vs JRPG boss Chisaki boring, but Horikoshi did it.

I mean people really expected OH to put a fight against 100% Deku? he was getting beaten by Mirio, if he suddenly was able to keep up with 100% Deku it would make no sense.
This last chapter is just a reminder/tease of what 100% can do.

Last edited:

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
This will all be worth it once it is animated. They are fighting in the fucking air. Wait correction, Deku is beating the fuck out of him in the air like a fighting game launch combo.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think this arc was really hurt by Horikoshi's sickness; people notice the unfinished panels but stuff like paneling, fight choreography, maybe even plot stuff depending on how sick he is all gets affected.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
This arc was pretty fantastic for most of the time, it's only the raid where things started to get a bit... off.

This arc had:
  • That one chapter from Twice's perspective
  • Introduction of the Big 3
  • Overhaul vs. Villain Alliance
  • Deku/Mirio/Nighteye/All Might
  • Encounter with Overhaul and Eri
  • Dragon Lady
  • Red Riot and Ochako/Nejire/Tsuyo fights
It got messy once the raid against Overhaul started. It still had individually great moments, but they just didn't quite mesh that well.
Suneater, Red Riot and Mirio fights were awesome. Villain Alliance shenanigans in the back are cool. 100% was hype.
The big problems for me were that the pacing and structuring of the fights inside of the panel were awkward. Partly because Horikoshi wasn't in top form (which means the paneling and art weren't up to the usual quality, some fights were really hard to follow) and partly because he probably wasn't used to handle such a big cast simultaneously and that also showed. Girl's side was also super disappointing.

I think this is something that could be vastly better in the anime if they restructure things a bit.

I was going to post about how much I have disliked arc, but this post convinced me otherwise. I think I'm just being harsh because we've been stuck in this awful basement for so long. There has definitely been a lot of great stuff so far, but I still feel that this has been the weakest part of the series by far.

I'm also a little sad that we moved away from the other schools so quickly after they were introduced in the license exam. I would have liked to have a little more there. It would be nice to get some more world building about hero education outside of UA and other hero schools would be the perfect opportunity to get into some of that.

Last edited:

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
This will all be worth it once it is animated. They are fighting in the fucking air. Wait correction, Deku is beating the fuck out of him in the air like a fighting game launch combo.
For real. I think the anime will sort through a lot of the kinks this arc has had.

Can't wait for SS Deku to be animated!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, am just glad that we are out of that ugly tunnel.
But yeah, can't wait to see how Bones adapts this arc, not only dark places work better in anime, but Overhaul spike attacks have the potential to look much better.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I have to give it to Eri. She's in a pouch being flown around by a fucking mad man at inhuman speeds dashing through the air while she is killing him. She's going through a fucking roller coaster as she's destroying her ride and only way to landing safely.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Overhaul is done, good riddance. Overall I think this arc had some of the best moments in the series mixed with some bad things, but I think it ranks nicely in the middles, not as low as license or festival arcs but not as high as the stain or camp arcs.
Can agree with that. nice implications for the series, but the pacing of this arc wasn't really good. If anything, it was worth it just for 100% Deku and Mirio.

SirRugdumph

Oct 27, 2017
Suppose it's fitting to make my first ERA post here since I wanted to follow y'all over after lurking the old thread so much :P

I've enjoyed the arc well enough, though some of the action has been hard to follow at points, but I agree that'll be better (probably really damn awesome, if we get something on the level of All Might vs. Nomu or Todoroki vs Deku) once it's animated. I loved the Kirshima and Suneater segments though.

And there's no way the heroes are gonna keep Eri, right? I feel like Toga and Twice are surely still hanging around for a reason.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think one bad thing will happen, almost every arc has one thing bad happenning, so even if Mirio's quirk comes back nd Nighteye is saved, I can see Eri being kidnapped to balance things out.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I still like my idea that Deku just accidentally killed Overhaul. I'm just curious how hero society handles something like that.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Poll is up, time to vote for Best Boy. Best Girl coming up in 3 days.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to post about how much I have disliked arc, but this post convinced me otherwise. I think I'm just being harsh because we've been stuck in this awful basement for so long. There has definitely been a lot of great stuff so far, but I still feel that this has been the weakest part of the series by far.

I'm also a little sad that we moved away from the other schools so quickly after they were introduced in the license exam. I would have liked to have a little more there. It would be nice some more world building about hero education outside of UA and other hero schools would be the perfect opportunity to get into some of that.

Meh, my mind is pretty much made up at this point unless it ends strong as hell. Very much ready to move on, especially from Overhaul.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The basement was Horikoshi's health.

Nighteye's future vision was his own optimism that he'd get better in the future dashed.

But now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
New chapter was dope, Deku goin' in! Can't wait for Season 3 since that's when things start getting crazy! If anything, I really hope they expand on some of the fights a bit like they did with All Might and Nomu in S1 for S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.