Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of dub hate here is sad. You don't see anyone who prefers dubs wanting it dub only, but tons of people in this thread who prefer subs want it sub only.
Yeah, sub elitists in the anime community are just insufferable. There are a terrifyingly high number of people who would straight up delete the very existence of dubs if they could. Fucking pathetic.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you consider the My Hero movie an example of a "really good" one, then no. All Might was good, but that was literally it. Many characters where borderline cringey, but over all most characters were perfect adequate.
I haven't been able to see the movie yet but going by the series I say everyone is pretty damn good. I have no idea who you could find cringy besides someone like Mineta where it's obviously deliberate.

But what ever I'm not going to bother trying to convince you otherwise. It's your opinion even if I heavily disagree with it. At least your not going around going "lol dub sucks" and I appreciate that much.

I will say though, you calling them "adequate" irritates me more then just straight up calling them bad and I have no idea why.

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno if there's any other released footage of the localized game, but in Giant Bomb's quicklook there looks like no subbed dialogue for character introductions or any mid match except some voiced dialogue in the story mode. Really disappointing they only bothered to sub parts of it. If there was a dub for it we might have some info to what the character intros might say. :/

Nov 23, 2017
This has got to be the only forum on the internet where people complain when there isnt a dub. 99.99 percent of anime fans I see would never even consider using a dub.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if there's any other released footage of the localized game, but in Giant Bomb's quicklook there looks like no subbed dialogue for character introductions or any mid match except some voiced dialogue in the story mode. Really disappointing they only bothered to sub parts of it. If there was a dub for it we might have some info to what the character intros might say. :/

thats the lone reason alone I dont like some of these JPN audio only, they dont sub some of this minor dialogue

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe he didn't turn in-game subtitles on?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I feel that for any type of video media, the original language should be the default option. I'm not against dubs in any sense but I like to try to consume my media in a way that is as close to the original version as possible. Regardless of how great a dub or translation is, there is always something lost or transformed in the process.

Subtitles allow people to appreciate the media without detracting from the original intent and tone of the original and while they won't be perfect, they won't detract from those that understand and appreciate the original language.

Speaking from experience, the lack of dubs when I was growing up helped me pickup and understand English from a very young language. I was able to understand and speak it from age 5. Children these days don't have that benefit because most popular media is dubbed. One of the reasons I stopped going to the cinema is because almost everything is dubbed. Once again: I'm not against dubs, but they shouldn't be the default option.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be the only forum on the internet where people complain when there isnt a dub. 99.99 percent of anime fans I see would never even consider using a dub.
You must have missed the Blazblue fiasco.
Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I feel that for any type of video media, the original language should be the default option. I'm not against dubs in any sense but I like to try to consume my media in a way that is as close to the original version as possible. Regardless of how great a dub or translation is, there is always something lost or transformed in the process.

Subtitles allow people to appreciate the media without detracting from the original intent and tone of the original and while they won't be perfect, they won't detract from those that understand and appreciate the original language.

Speaking from experience, the lack of dubs when I was growing up helped me pickup and understand English from a very young language. I was able to understand and speak it from age 5. Children these days don't have that benefit because most popular media is dubbed. One of the reasons I stopped going to the cinema is because almost everything is dubbed. Once again: I'm not against dubs, but they shouldn't be the default option.

Heavy disagree. I've got no problem watching something subtitled if that's the only option but nine times out of ten if there's a dub I'm using it.

First of there's the fact that sometimes I genuinely just think the dub actors are better(Yu Yu Hakusho and Persona 4 come to mind.)

Second it's easier for me to enjoy. For instance if I'm watching a show I often have difficulty focusing on just the show even if it's one I love. So I often will be on my phone or handheld while watching something. With subtitles I can't do that and have to focus solely on the show and when I do that I burn out faster.

Dubs should almost always be an option IMO and the lack of one was the deciding factor in me not getting this game. The dub of MHA is what introduced me to the series and it's what I'm used to. I have no attachment to the Japanese cast and thus have less interest if there the only ones available.

Jul 24, 2018
The Japanese performances are extremely important to the way the cutscenes are directed though. This wouldn't be like your typical anime/JRPG dub. I mean more options aren't a bad thing necessarily, I just don't understand why anyone would prefer to play Yakuza specifically with a dub.
With anime and cartoon characters it is easier to digest but when you've got actual Japanese looking people speaking with dubbed voices the suspension of disbelief becomes harder to swallow. Like watching American tv shows on German TV.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Better this than english dub only since english va only concerns a few countries. Still a shame.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You must have missed the Blazblue fiasco.

Heavy disagree. I've got no problem watching something subtitled if that's the only option but nine times out of ten if there's a dub I'm using it.

First of there's the fact that sometimes I genuinely just think the dub actors are better(Yu Yu Hakusho and Persona 4 come to mind.)

(...)

Dubs should almost always be an option IMO and the lack of one was the deciding factor in me not getting this game. The dub of MHA is what introduced me to the series and it's what I'm used to. I have no attachment to the Japanese cast and thus have less interest if there the only ones available.

This is entirely your opinion, I can't really argue against it because opinions are never wrong, they just differ sometimes. I do agree that dubs are sometimes better than the original voices, Final Fantasy XII and The Last Story come to mind, but generally I find that in my experience this isn't the case and in some cases the dubs are detrimental to the game. A recent example that comes to mind is Xenoblade 2 in which I felt that the choice of some the voice actors was poorly made.

Second it's easier for me to enjoy. For instance if I'm watching a show I often have difficulty focusing on just the show even if it's one I love. So I often will be on my phone or handheld while watching something. With subtitles I can't do that and have to focus solely on the show and when I do that I burn out faster.

That is indeed a benefit of dubs, they allow you to be able to focus less on whatever media you are consuming but I feel that this benefit is more personal to you than others. Not everyone consumes media in that matter and I'm not saying your way of doing things is wrong, I'm just pointing out that most of your reasoning for defending dubs stems from the way you personally consume media or opinions.

I can understand why you'd prefer dubs but you only made a strong case for yourself.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
While I could care less bout dubs since I hate it when the voice doesnt match the lip movement (plus I'm all for learning words in different languages), I can understand why people might insist on getting the feature

Not surprised everything about this game looks low budget

This seems to come off as a drive-by post too me. Instead of just outright smashing the game, perhaps add some substantial opinion why you feel its required for your enjoyment. Not just, "LOL this game looks like shat! Peace!!"

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is personally the first time I've seen people upset that an anime property is not being dubbed. I though most people always came out on the side of subs with this stuff.