• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi pretty much just gave Deku Ultimate Venom's ability.

For the more movie oriented.

rCCQHYm.gif

First thing I thought of when Black Whip was introduced was that Hori just gave Deku web slinging abilities even though he doesn't need them, but it is literally Venom's powers lol.

Black Whip allows the user to create tendrils of dark energy that can be used to grab objects from a distance and enhance the mobility of the user by dragging them towards that object.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I already said, deku should have a support quirk so we can have a fight with him at the sidelines. Imagine a fight that Bakugo is the main fighter but has to accept Deku helping him. Now if this support quirk is healing, strength boost(like la brava's) etc I am not sure of what I want.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the next 5 quirks are
1. Electricity
2. Mind Reading
3. Heat Vision
4. Flying
5. Healing Factor
Elemental quirks.

Can really see the manga quality nosediving if he goes this route.

I thought people were drawn to mido cause he was underdog status. Suddenly seeing people wish he were invincible and happy he has an arsenal of skills daddy long legs thrust at him without warning and can use at will feels contrary to what people love in protags.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Elemental quirks.

I thought people were drawn to mido cause he was underdog status. Suddenly seeing people wish he were invincible and happy he has an arsenal of skills daddy long legs thrust at him without warning and can use at will feels contrary to what people love in protags.
I think everyone would've preferred he stay the underdog, but this is the hand we've been dealt. I think 1 or 2 extra quirks would've been better than 6, but Hori is going Plus Ultra on this

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
even if Deku only kept the strength he would've been super ridiculous when he mastered One For All, this just makes him even more so

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I just got around to reading the new chapter and....I'm still not a fan but oh well. I'll write out what I said before because it's still how I feel.

It feels too easy, give Deku 6 other quirks to unlock to get stronger instead of having him focus on clever uses of just OfA as is (I love the fight with Gentle for this reason). I get that this ties in to the singularity thing but I still don't really like how OP this seems. Though I guess it'll make for interesting battles....maybe Horikoshi could introduce drawbacks? Like, if Deku activates the Black Whip quirk, he can't use any of the other quirks at the same time? Or there are time limits involved?

And this really poorly impacts the rivalry between Deku and Bakugo. How could Bakugo possibly compete once Deku is up and running with all these new powerful quirks? The question I asked at the beginning of this manga, "How does Deku become the greatest hero ever as he said in Chapter 1?" has just been answered lol

And, this really loses that whole "quirkless" hero aspect too, there were still remnants of that in the way Deku was learning and approaching things, but with this it's like a giant neon sign that is shouting, "Without quirks, you are nothing!" It feels like a little bit of a disservice to All Might and his message to Deku as he too was once quirkless but still achieved greatness.

I don't know, I'll see how Horikoshi pulls it off and it's not like I hate this strongly. My initial feeling is that I don't like this idea too much but I understand that this is a more typical shounen story at the end of the day, with power ups and all.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that Deku never really was the underdog is what makes this work more. He was already going to be extremely OP going by All Might so you might as well sextuple down on it.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I dunno, even with OfA I always saw Deku as the underdog because he still has to work harder than everyone else JUST to catch up, so him having the potentially strongest quirk was a nice balance.

I really liked his subtle progression through full cowl, shoot style, and the long range attacks, it felt like earned power ups. These quirks are out of Deku's control at least at activation, and I don't like that. If he went to the Vestige world and trained with the vestiges earning this power it'd be awesome. That might still happen yet, so we'll see.

There has to be hard limits or it just makes everyone else look worse and Deku wayyy too stronk. No matter how you slice it, extra quirks are just unfair, which is why I hope others achieve singularity so things stay even

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like at first Deku kind of felt like one, but lately it definitely feels like Bakugou has more of the underdog status. He has to try and compete in a rivalry with his standard quirk versus the chosen one quirk OFA.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, even with OfA I always saw Deku as the underdog because he still has to work harder than everyone else JUST to catch up, so him having the potentially strongest quirk was a nice balance.

I really liked his subtle progression through full cowl, shoot style, and the long range attacks, it felt like earned power ups. These quirks are out of Deku's control at least at activation, and I don't like that. If he went to the Vestige world and trained with the vestiges earning this power it'd be awesome. That might still happen yet, so we'll see.

There has to be hard limits or it just makes everyone else look worse and Deku wayyy too stronk. No matter how you slice it, extra quirks are just unfair, which is why I hope others achieve singularity so things stay even
You don't just achieve singularity tho.
You can't just reach it if you work hard enough.
It's from genetic mutations through generations.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah I was just thinking that too!
Bakugo is the underdog, not Deku. So, in a way, that's a neat twist as it's usually the protagonist who has to work their way up and the rival is blessed with amazing powers.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Deku needed some kind of power boost sooner or later but I have to admit this is a surprising way of going about doing it. It makes "sense" of course but when taken on its own it seems like a really ballsy thing to do. Having a Quirk roulette seems like it'd make him OP as hell.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Upon unlocking the final hidden power of One for All, something has changed for Deku.

qWb5WuE.jpg
-"I...can't control this power anymore"

latest
-"..GRAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

WlIXL1T.jpg
-"Stop, Midoriya! This isn't who you are!"

JUQ7rfx.png
-(He's right, I have too much to protect to give in now...)

43IeNXK.png
-(It's OK, young Midoriya. I'm with you. Just focus.)

"Focus?"
abeD2jC.png

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Elemental quirks.

Never really saw Izuku as an underdog character, people only betted against him before he got into UA, and when he first started UA Bakugo was the only one who looked down on him, really he can't be the underdog if he was given a quirk that can oneshot anyone in his class and have everyone in his class know this. Deku's character type matches more with one of a legacy character, similar to like Miles in Spiderverse, MHA is a passing of the torch type of story

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You are right about the government not exactly being on the up and up. I don't want to say any more, but I'll keep you updated!

With both RE and SF it'll be original stories mixed in with canon. I don't want to say too much cause I don't want my ideas jacked but I would like to explore moments from the games and moments between the games, both series have some really cool characters.

I'm going with RE2 first, though I do plan on getting KH3. I'm glad you enjoyed the demo, I was so mad they only gave us 30 minutes! I think you should go with KH3 and worry about RE2 later. RE isn't as scary as people think, but those Lickers and Mr.X will mess you up, lol.
(crap, sorry I forgot to reply, I knew I forgot something)

That's cool and I totally get not wanting to give away too much, especially on the internet. It doesn't hurt to be cautious. Share updates with me whenever you feel up to it!

Oh, mixing original stuff with stories from the original sources? Interesting choice... I suppose that would be a pretty smart way of keeping things "in character" while still giving yourself leeway to do your own story. Sort of like Detective Pikachu, I think? And yeah, SF has lots of interesting characters even to an outsider like me, and the same can be said for RE. I do find that the former has more interesting characters from a quick glance, but then I suppose a fighting game is meant to do that. On the other hand, I'm not too interested in SF's overall story, unlike RE's where I'm often very interested.

Awesome! Didn't know you were getting KH too. You getting it day one too? I still don't get why the time limit even exists and I really wish it didn't so I could at least get used to the shooting more, but oh well. At least we're getting the DMC5 demo soon.

Oh, and yeah... I've read about Mr. X. I'm not looking forward to solving puzzles with his footsteps in the background. Ugh. It's gonna be hella stressful.
Horikoshi pretty much just gave Deku Ultimate Venom's ability.

For the more movie oriented.

rCCQHYm.gif

First thing I thought of when Black Whip was introduced was that Hori just gave Deku web slinging abilities even though he doesn't need them, but it is literally Venom's powers lol.
Yup, yup. I've been thinking (posted about it too actually) this since the chapter after it first showed up. Coupled with the super strength and he's very much like Venom indeed.

I don't recall any major differences between Ultimate and 616 Venom's powers though. Probably only that the former used the tendrils and shape-shifting more?

Also, I think someone suggested it here too but I fully expect Deku to create his own version of Kamui Woods' Lacquered Chain Prison.
I already said, deku should have a support quirk so we can have a fight with him at the sidelines. Imagine a fight that Bakugo is the main fighter but has to accept Deku helping him. Now if this support quirk is healing, strength boost(like la brava's) etc I am not sure of what I want.
A support type quirk would be great, but I think it would be more to support the user itself since that would have meant a previous wielder of One For All being on the sidelines. Then again, One For All wouldn't have been as strong so that's not such a crazy idea...

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
(crap, sorry I forgot to reply, I knew I forgot something)

That's cool and I totally get not wanting to give away too much, especially on the internet. It doesn't hurt to be cautious. Share updates with me whenever you feel up to it!
No worries, and I will. I might even send you some chapters if you wouldn't mind looking over some stuff, some feedback would be cool.
Oh, mixing original stuff with stories from the original sources? Interesting choice... I suppose that would be a pretty smart way of keeping things "in character" while still giving yourself leeway to do your own story. Sort of like Detective Pikachu, I think? And yeah, SF has lots of interesting characters even to an outsider like me, and the same can be said for RE. I do find that the former has more interesting characters from a quick glance, but then I suppose a fighting game is meant to do that. On the other hand, I'm not too interested in SF's overall story, unlike RE's where I'm often very interested.
Yeah, I'm going for a blend where the story can stand in its own if you've never experienced the games before but still keeps the essence and spirit of the source material. With both SF and RE I feel like it's relatively easy to do because they give you so much to work with in terms of character and story, RE in particular. RE1-3 and Code Veronica all take place in 1998 within months of each other. Hell, RE2 and 3 happen at the same time, and playing these games and reading through the files you get a lot of info of things happening behind the scenes and in between. There's a lot to mine there, and you could even do the storylines of the games too. I love the late 90's setting in horror too, something about that aesthetic speaks to me. Probably cause I grew up with it lol
Awesome! Didn't know you were getting KH too. You getting it day one too? I still don't get why the time limit even exists and I really wish it didn't so I could at least get used to the shooting more, but oh well. At least we're getting the DMC5 demo soon.

Oh, and yeah... I've read about Mr. X. I'm not looking forward to solving puzzles with his footsteps in the background. Ugh. It's gonna be hella stressful.
Oh yeah Bubba! I have strong emotional attachments to both RE and KH and I couldn't imagine having to pick between them.I'm eating lots of ramen for the next week or so but ah well. It'll be interesting to see if I can finish Claire and Leon's campaign before KH3 drops. Doubt I'll get to HUNK or Tofu.

I get it why they did the time limit cause I was def still thirsty at the end of it and I can see it enticing people to purchase. For shooting I think it's better to take a sec and let the reticle focus- you can get a critical hit that way. Headshots are also not always ideal, sometimes it's better to shoot a leg off if you have Mr. X chasing you.

Mr. X...don't shoot at other zombies after you've recently ditched him cause he can still find you. Other than that good luck with him, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running for my life every time I see him lmao

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
You know, Midoriya's basically become Captain Marvel. One gifted power (The Power of Zeus) gathering and enhancing the other powers (Strength of Hercules, Speed of Mercury, etc).

Would be interesting if he could either share that power ala the Marvel family or if one of the quirks will let him enhance his classmates' quirks so they can keep up.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, official chapter is out. Really gotta get used to the chapters coming out on sunday.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like at first Deku kind of felt like one, but lately it definitely feels like Bakugou has more of the underdog status. He has to try and compete in a rivalry with his standard quirk versus the chosen one quirk OFA.

Are you saying Hori subverted expectations again? 🧐🧐🧐🧐

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine unlcoki
Are you saying Hori subverted expectations again? 🧐🧐🧐🧐
Well it would have happened from chapter one because as soon as you here Deku talking about how this is the story of him becoming the number one hero, you know this is Bakugo's fight to lose.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the match is continuing. Sad Monoma missed. Though am glad he attempted it. Dont know how people believed a month ago that Monoma wouldnt even dare to try to get Midos quirk.

Hope horikoshi doesnt chicken out on showing us what happens when monoma does try it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet Monoma eventually touches Deku and nothing happens. Leading him to become some insane stalker trying to figure it out because he gives me stalker vibes

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm willing to bet Monoma eventually touches Deku and nothing happens. Leading him to become some insane stalker trying to figure it out because he gives me stalker vibes

Or it does work...and Monoma destroys his own body trying to use One for All for even one attack, like Midoriya did at first.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's awesome that Deku now has some support quirks. Not only does he have to master super strength but also whatever other quirk manifests over time.

So the reason that All Might was unable to use those quirks before is because one for all's core wasn't big or strong enough to use them? If so that seems like a decent explanation and keeps the solid world building of the series intact.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, bakugo still isn't a underdog, he still 4-0'd his match.
I think the only underdog story here is the league of villains

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugou is more of the underdog now when you compare him to Deku I'd say.
He's way too gifted to ever be considered an underdog. Yeah, he's Deku's rival, but at no point in the story has it felt like he had little to no chance at winning. Maybe against all the villains, but that wasn't really a fight, just him holding them off for a few minutes.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
He's way too gifted to ever be considered an underdog. Yeah, he's Deku's rival, but at no point in the story has it felt like he had little to no chance at winning. Maybe against all the villains, but that wasn't really a fight, just him holding them off for a few minutes.
Yeah, but his gifts seem small compared to Deku who has the #1 heroes power plus extras and Todoroki who was bred to have all of the upsides and none of the downsides of the #2 hero.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Monoma touches Deku and instantly explodes.
Which will get Deku expelled and locked up in Tartarus, because he's deemed dangerous.
He has a nice father-son meetup with AfO.
But twist! Monoma in the fight was actually a Twice clone and he was working with the League from the beginning.
I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but his gifts seem small compared to Deku who has the #1 heroes power plus extras and Todoroki who was bred to have all of the upsides and none of the downsides of the #2 hero.
I mean, yeah, compared the MC who was gifted the world's greatest quirk and someone bred to be the greatest hero. But Bakugo is still super freaking gifted and has a busted quirk. Like if we were talking about Tail dude, then maybe, but no. Bakugo can still easily keep up with Deku and Todoroki.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Bakugo isn't an underdog overall as he's still incredibly powerful, but in terms of his rivalry with Deku he IS the underdog now, and it'll only get bigger as Deku grows more powerful. Having to compete with all those extra quirks plus the general improvements Deku has made with full cowl in their next fight...unless Bakugo gets a massive upgrade it's Deku's fight to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.