• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Setsuna was doing what B has done actually making plans and teamwork based on A because A thinks plans are for losers

But this chapter had Bakugo and rushed development
I wouldn't call the other class A teamd dumbasses tho. They had plans that were purposely written to fail for which or whatever reason. Idk may you can. doesn't feel fair to say so tho

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call the other class A teamd dumbasses tho. They had plans that were purposely written to fail for which or whatever reason. Idk may you can. doesn't feel fair to say so tho
None of them had much of plan yes they were written to fail to show that B has more cohesion but what actual plans did they have

Momo team was mostly reactive and only real plan was to use Tokoyami to scout while B actually planned to divide up the team and using sneak tactics and distractions

Todoroki is just attack while Tetsutetsu was dumbass Juzo thought up a counterattack ahead if time and set up traps

I'm trying to remember frog team and would concede both teams didn't have much

It's not like B was Aizen a lot of it is simple

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
She's a fantastic intelligence gathering/support hero, but she doesn't have much power. I think team B needed a proper heavy hitter like Shishida to spear-front the attack.
Yeah, especially with how she can apparently even split her eyes for even larger range. I think Kamakiri was supposed to be their primary attacker, but he was up against Bakugo and no way was that gonna end well. It feels like this time around, 1-B had the disadvantageous team composition.

Speaking of Kamakiri, though, I really like how he made a blade from his thigh to increase his defense a bit. That was quick thinking and an unexpected use for blades. He's also shown to be able to create all sorts of different blades, with this one being serrated while the one on his arm is more like a... I don't know, surfboard? It's cool! So much better than the one that alley villain had, hah.
Loool.
Bakugo has changed and he hasn't. He is willing to work with others but the demeanor could still use a looooot of work. The way he talks to his teammates make them feel more expendable than they were in this fight. Despite Bakugo dominating, it was a team effort. But at the same time, this has got to be the most Bakugo chapter yet. I can see both sides.
I didn't take it as Bakugo treating them as expendables, especially not during the Heartbeat Surround moment where he moved out of the way so she could take out Awase. It's just his vulgar personality. Plus, there's the whole not allowing a scratch on any of them, which is his determination to be the #1 but spread to the team, in a way.
Tokage's plan wasn't bad at all. But Bakugo overcame the only real weakness they could exploit. Had they known that and adapted accordingly it probably wouldn't have been as much of a stomp.

I like Tokage, but Bakugo is a bad match up for everyone
It was great too that they had Awase there to stop anyone from chasing them when they're regrouping, but it was unfortunate for them that they had Sato. If Bakugo was the only heavy hitter of the team, he very well could have been stopped then and there. And... I just saw Sato's concept art and kinda wish that was what we got instead. Damn.
This chafter feels like fanfic
Also bakugo writing...
It geels so annoyingly bad that i will write later
Not surprised you dislike the chapter but what about Bakugo's writing in this chapter don't you like? (serious question, not trying to argue or anything, just curious)
We knew Bakugo would dominate in this fight. I hope we see Deku lose next fight, he hasn't taken an L in a while.
Nearly the entirety of the Yakuza arc was a huge emotional loss for him, though. I don't see a "need" for him to lose, and I wouldn't want him to lose either since now is the perfect time for him to show his peers how much stronger he's gotten. None of them have actually seen him in action yet, not since the license exam. Well, there was Uraraka seeing him pummel Overhaul in the sky, but I don't think she understood what happened much but even if she did, it's only one person. I don't want this to end up like the first time his classmates saw Full Cowl during that exercise.
I didnt want him to lose, i kust want him to struggle, ever since deku vs bakugo he just became a perfect character
Man, this reminds me of how I feel about Tsuyu, lol. Except, not just in fights, but I'd like there to be much more to the character than what's been shown so far.

I get wanting him to struggle, though, and that would've been good too. As I said in an earlier post, however, I believe the purpose of the fight was specifically to show how Bakugo and team can dominate a match whereas all the others have struggled. Sort of showing how his skill level is above the others' but this time finally applied right, unlike before where he was single-mindedly aiming for the top all on his own to the point of looking down (and disregarding in some cases) on his peers.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
quote-no-plan-of-operations-extends-with-any-certainty-beyond-the-first-contact-with-the-main-helmuth-von-moltke-the-elder-70-61-54.jpg

Bakugo's "plan" was based on this principle. Play it by ear, trust the judgement of your teamates and try to retain momentum.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah Sato did something totally unique other strength or enhanced types couldn't do

Break something, I'm sure Tetsutetsu was so jealous

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
latest

Not that I'm complaining. One step closer to Deku's match and the end of this arc.

Class A: 2
Class B: 1
Tie: 1

This pretty much confirms Deku about to take that major L for the class parity. Lol.

I'd love it for him to actually do stuff though. He has the most villain experience out of anyone. I want him to OfA knee cap fools into buildings like All Might did to Bakugo in the camp test. But alas. :(

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
quote-no-plan-of-operations-extends-with-any-certainty-beyond-the-first-contact-with-the-main-helmuth-von-moltke-the-elder-70-61-54.jpg

Bakugo's "plan" was based on this principle. Play it by ear, trust the judgement of your teamates and try to retain momentum.
I'm super curious... do you just know this quote off the back of your head? War quotes in general? Or was it a Reddit comment? Lol.
He has the most villain experience out of anyone.
This is exactly why I don't want him to lose, especially after his recent training session with All Might and his win against Gentle. I know it's not a binary thing, but it would suck if he had that major win then loses the next time he's in combat. Although, if it was a good match where his team almost wins, I wouldn't mind it so much, I guess.

Speaking of Deku and the next match, there's some info on the next chapter as per the Weekly Shonen Jump preview pages thing:

"FULL COWL'S POWER IS AT A FULL CHARGE! What would Deku and the others do after seeing Bakugou's successful performance...!?"

I think this may be a hint that Deku will aim to win (contrasting his usual desire to save over winning) just like his idol. By idol, I mean Bakugo.

"Roaring Muscles" (chapter 3, episode 3) had All Might say that Deku's body would explode if it wasn't strong enough upon receiving One For All. I've been taking it as a joke this whole time whenever people suggested that Monoma would explode upon copying One For All, but... boy just might.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Does Shinso needs to win or just show enough potential or do well enough especially since it's a team exercise

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The differenc in how Endeavor and Bakugo writing is immense

Lol, deku dont win school things in forever
Yeah, honestly with the Pro Hero Arc it was the perfect length and gave us great charcter moments and some fantastic action. Compared to this arc which is long and the fights aren't even that good. All of the fights have suffered from anti-climatic endings or dumb endings. Even the charcter interaction side hasn't been great this arc.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Tokage can just fly as high as she wants, and whether she needs to split first before flying. Even if that was a condition, simply removing a toenail or thin layer of skin might be enough.
what if it turns out Monoma is secretly jacked and can handle it well tho
Do not put that image in my mind. Please.

Oh no too late. Fuck.
Does Shinso needs to win or just show enough potential or do well enough especially since it's a team exercise
I hope it's the latter. Hate it when school systems bring a student down because of their group.
I really like history generally. That quote sticks in my mind because it goes against the usual idea of "smart leadership".
Oh, well that's really cool! It seems you're right, though, their plan was simple and straightforward then they just adapted on the fly. Then again... there was the grenade. Ehh, I'd like to think it was what you said.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, honestly with the Pro Hero Arc it was the perfect length and gave us great charcter moments and some fantastic action. Compared to this arc which is long and the fights aren't even that good. All of the fights have suffered from anti-climatic endings or dumb endings. Even the charcter interaction side hasn't been great this arc.

This arc can't equal the pro hero arc in that respect, students aren't allowed to burn other student's heads off.

Also, this arc is feels artificially long because of the short chapter lengths. On reread or in the anime, it won't be nearly as much a grind.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some pepole really disliked Endeavour as a charcter

Some people really dislike Bakugo as a character lmfao

Fuck it's 3 actually I forgot the early disappointment than the yakuza arc happening with number 2 and now here we are...they can make their own big 3

This last match gonna be tricky af, we got Uraraka and Mina to deal with. I would like for Mina to show her worth, and to avoid unnecesary relationship drama with the former.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair on the female characters thing it's really just Tokage and Whogakure

Froppy was the mvp of her team

Momo and Kendo were the leaders on their team plus mushroom girl saved the team with throatroom

Pony didn't do much but she saves her team a loss

It's not Yakuza arc

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Saving this

Momo and Kendo were the leaders on their team plus mushroom girl saved the team with throatroom

It's not Yakuza arc

I don't really care who wins the fights, they have no stakes to them anyhow. I just wanted some decent development/characterization for Class B.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
They both out first chapter

no way dude.
If Hori actually sidelines Mina AND uraraka, while keeping Mineta in...
Heads will roll.

I do think it's a problem how the last match is stacked with established characters that could do with some development. Bakugo was the sole star of Match 4, but that was alright considering all the team b members were randos.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
While the Yakuza Arc had issues - it was at least ambitious and had a lot of really hype moments that made me feel more positive than negative about it despite it having a lot of issues. This arc doesn't have that - it has no ambitious as it's basically a collection of fights and there's been 2 maybe 3 really hype moments and even then they are not on the level of the Yakuza Arc or honestly most of the previous arcs. Every fight has either been rushed or underwelming or both and the art has been frankly inconsistent at best. Unless Deku and co vs Momota and co save this arc which i doubt this is easily one of the weakest arcs.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
This is exactly why I don't want him to lose, especially after his recent training session with All Might and his win against Gentle. I know it's not a binary thing, but it would suck if he had that major win then loses the next time he's in combat. Although, if it was a good match where his team almost wins, I wouldn't mind it so much, I guess.

This is how I feel, too. He's gone up against (even in a minor role): Nomu, Bakugo 1, Todoroki, Gran Torino, Stain, All Might (exam), the stuff in the Two Heroes movie (lol canon), Muscular, the stuff in forest/rescuing Bakugo, multiple members of rival schools, Toga, Gang Orca/minions, Bakugo 2, Mirio/Nighteye, Yakuza goons, Overhaul, and Gentle.

Like....come on. lol.

"Roaring Muscles" (chapter 3, episode 3) had All Might say that Deku's body would explode if it wasn't strong enough upon receiving One For All. I've been taking it as a joke this whole time whenever people suggested that Monoma would explode upon copying One For All, but... boy just might.

I'm more of a subscriber to that theory Deku won't have any power for him to copy. I'm sure it's been brought up before but remember when he smacks Deku in the lunch room before the camp test? Tapping/hitting is how he gets their power. That's what he did to Kirishima, Bakugo and solid air guy at the sports festival. They make a point of it in the anime (don't remember if it was in the manga it's been so long) but wouldn't he of absorbed Deku's power there? Wonder if that comes into play during this arc? He probably would have tested out the power or stored it for future use. He obviously didn't explode right there in the lunch room.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
MjT2Wod.gif

I first thought of just the cheap-ass stall she did, but then I remembered that she helped Honenuki get away from Ojiro and Shoji. If it really weren't for her, Iida's team would've won. Damn.
Hot Take:

Endeavour > Bakugou in terms of characterisation and development
Hmm. Gonna have to agree...

To be fair, though, given Endeavor's smaller role in the story, Horikoshi has less chances of making mistakes when writing the character. Either ways, Endeavor's a fantastic character and I'm happy with all the development he's character has gotten so far.
Why is that a hot take
Cause Endeavor's quirk, hehe.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love this chapter. So fun to see Bakugo go all out like this. I'm glad the concept of a perfect victory was brought back because that was clearly important to him in the Sports Festival and served to make his few redeemable traits at the time more apparent then in regards to the Ochaco and Shoto fights so seeing that applied to his new mentality of working with others more and as such extended to his teammates is very cool.

The rest of his team ultimately felt like accessories to his actions but I don't mind at all since it was depicted in a way where I find it believable they'd follow Bakugo here.

Awase impressed me with his application of his quirk. Probably the most impressive B student this chapter. Though it didn't amount to much as they weren't prepared for A's retaliation.

Monoma's first reaction to Bakugo changed was hilarious.

I find the claims of "favoritism" silly to be honest. First, I don't really know what manga author draws what he doesn't want to draw so it feels redundant to single out one small chapter, ultimately of little consequence, such as this one and claim that that, more than any or most others, is what the author really cared for. Second, Bakugo was the #1 student in the entrance exam and took first place in the Sports Festival competition (and wasn't even fully satisfied), I'm not gonna act surprised if the person sitting at the top of his year in combat abilities shows that he's top of his year in combat abilities. Third, he quite literally is a favorite, both in terms of "to win" due to what I described above and evidenced by him being a key part of the enemy's strategy and also in terms of being the series' 2nd main character, main rival and audience's favorite. I see nothing in this chapter that couldn't have been reasonably expected as a result of what has been done with Bakugo in this series prior to this as well as with Bakugo's place in the grand scheme of things.

This pretty much confirms Deku about to take that major L for the class parity. Lol
Fine to me. Shinso deserves it after his unfair Sports Fes loss.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personal Opinion: If Deku's fight isn't great/amazing then honestly this is in the Top 3 Weakest Arcs in the series

It already was for me honestly. This, Yakuza, and Provisional License.

I do think it's a problem how the last match is stacked with established characters that could do with some development. Bakugo was the sole star of Match 4, but that was alright considering all the team b members were randos.

Oh well then keep the hope

Going into this arc, I was hoping that if we didn't get a Class B student that shone above the rest, that maybe each match would have a Class B student that's at least giving me something to work with here. But we only got that from Mudman and Kendo, and I've been generous towards the former tbh

Who is on Monoma's team again

Oct 25, 2017
I was disappointed by how Tokage used her quirk. She doesn't have good offensive capabilities, but she still could have been more flexible with her quirk. Why not use parts of her body to cover the opponents eyes and aid her teammates? Why completely exhaust your power by creating that sound distraction? I just felt she could have used her power smarter. She is easily the least impressive of the recommended students.

Bakugo....well, not much needs to be said lol. I like that he isn't so much changing who he is but rather finding a different way to apply who he is so that those around him benefit too. Relying on his teammates is a welcome difference, however.

I got to say that sometimes the writing in this manga can be so heavy handed. The same sort of thing happened with Momo. "The thing I am trying to do with these characters, don't you see it?!". It could use more subtlety.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well I actually like this arc, i just hate this fight because it is rushed and didnt show class b well
Hot Take:

Endeavour > Bakugou in terms of characterisation and development
It isnt hot, endeavor actually struggles and recognizes his past mistakes

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
It already was for me honestly. This, Yakuza, and Provisional License.

Going into this arc, I was hoping that if we didn't get a Class B student that shone above the rest, that maybe each match would have a Class B student that's at least giving me something to work with here. But we only got that from Mudman and Kendo, and I've been generous towards the former tbh

Who is on Monoma's team again

Just Shinso really. I just feel that:

>Shinso wanting revenge on Deku/ wanting to figure out how he escaped his brainwash
>Shinso wanting to prove himself in the her of course
>Deku wanting to find out more about vestiges
>Deku wanting to be "symbol of victory"
>Monoma inferiority complex/impending mental breakdown
>Uraraka crush/whatever else she wants to do
>then showing off the quirks of the three new B students
>giving Mina and Mineta something to do

It's a lot to handle. I think it's likely that this match will be the longest of the five, and possibly the only one that ends in a proper 1 v 1.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

It's not Yakuza arc
This

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I glad this fight didn't drag out like all the other ones this arc, 5th match should be the most interesting but so far this is the weakest arc for me. None of these fights really have any stake, in the license exam you at least cared who failed or past but here it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.